• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Human Longetivity and God

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
Kind of silly if you ask me.

What's the point of living to be 800 years old? You'll be a "dead man walking" in every sense of the phrase.

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter
Kind of silly if you ask me.

What's the point of living to be 800 years old? You'll be a "dead man walking" in every sense of the phrase.

Not necissairily, i've read on these things and if making us live 800 years is possible, you wouldnt feel like your hanging on by a thread, you'd feel like a 90 year old, and being younger than that would have a normal equalavent.
If you mess with genes you'll have soft skin at 100.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
Not necissairily, i've read on these things and if making us live 800 years is possible, you wouldnt feel like your hanging on by a thread, you'd feel like a 90 year old, and being younger than that would have a normal equalavent.
If you mess with genes you'll have soft skin at 100.

i was assuming that you wouldn't grow old proportionally. As in, your body is 800 years old and reflects 800 years.

Not where a person with a normal span of 100 gets up to 800, and feels like 40 at age 120.

Morning Twilight

I personally doubt that this'll work in humans, because our DNA is a bit different structurally than a bacteria's for fungi's. But to eliminate genes is probably a bad thing, because I'm assuming that they're talking about cutting a piece out or altering it in some way so that it can't be read by RNA. Well two different RNA can use the same DNA strip of let's say ACAAGGTTTGACA
The place where the gene starts is ACAA. If there's another RNA that starts let's say AAGG then it would be impossible for that gene to form because that code is lost if it's altered. If you don't understand what I just wrote, it's basic genetics. Study it then you'll understand what I mean. It's this plus the differences between human DNA and Cyclic DNA that I doubt it'll work.

There are exceptions to every rule of God's. It's beyond our understanding on that, but realize that there are exceptions to every rule.

Akans

「moriya」
Sweet. Where do I get the shot?
Nowhere. The legal stuff isn't even close to being finished.
There are two DNA genes you can mess with - stomata and germ genes (not sure about the spelling for stomata)
Stomata genes are genes that are not passed to your child - you'll live 800 years, but not your children.
However, germ cell genes are for forever. Any mistake a scientist makes, its going to be with us forever.

There is absolutely NO CHANCE of Germ cell modification. Even stomata cell modification demands many many years of grueling research before it is even tentively thought relaitively safe (which we haven't even come close to starting even, by the way).
Stomata cell modification is only for your offspring, not for you. Note that this is not a shot, its a complete change in your DNA structure. Its like taking apart the CPU from a computer and putting in a new one while your computer's on and working.

And even if God says that you can't be over 120 years old, that won't stop athiest billionares from doing that, nor for scientists setting up their labs in developing countries, where there are no laws against gene modification...

Sephiros_TH

The science for making humans live for 800 years is possible, no doubt but it'll be a while before 1 it is even possible to achieve through gene manipulation, 2 through morality aspect, and 3 safety wise. Anyway people also seem to assume you'll age normally, thats not so. If they do make you live for 800 years you'll be a kid until your 90 and puberty will take forever. Its not like they're extending just your life span, they are slowing your growth and food intake to prevent the degrading of your cells. So you'll be more like a tree growth wise then a human. I don't see anything wrong with this, and where in the bible does it claim man can only live 120 years, didn't Enoch live for 365 years?

Akans

「moriya」
I don't see anything wrong with this
Err.... Humans messing with genes is a really bad idea. We have absolutely no clue what each does. So what if the Human Genome Project is complete? Removing or adding a gene to make you live longer might have un-noticed side effects, at an early stage.

For example, all children are genetically modified to live up to 800. A side effect that was overloooked is that they are now all infertile. Bye bye human race.
But that COULD be a good thing. It solves overpopulation, for one thing, since not all humans can afford to be genetically modified...

They might have other longer, but equally bad consequences, like the gradual degrading of human intelligence over the generations. Instead of evolving, each generation that lives becomes stupider and stupider, and we'll end up as animals.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You realize that this would not be compulsory, and very expensive, so there's a zero to none chance that the whole human race dies because of it. However, if I'm going to die eventually, I'd rather take the chance of living a couple of centuries.

Sephiros_TH

Err.... Humans messing with genes is a really bad idea. We have absolutely no clue what each does. So what if the Human Genome Project is complete? Removing or adding a gene to make you live longer might have un-noticed side effects, at an early stage.

For example, all children are genetically modified to live up to 800. A side effect that was overloooked is that they are now all infertile. Bye bye human race.
But that COULD be a good thing. It solves overpopulation, for one thing, since not all humans can afford to be genetically modified...

They might have other longer, but equally bad consequences, like the gradual degrading of human intelligence over the generations. Instead of evolving, each generation that lives becomes stupider and stupider, and we'll end up as animals.

If you paid attention, I said it won't be possible or practical for a long time, by then (when ever then is) humans would have advanced far enough to understand what each and every bit of DNA does. There is not doubt the human race will be capable of this some day, the human race's over all intelligence level currently double every 2 years or so, and it was apparently doubling every 20 years only 10 years ago. Also think about this people went from starting civilization to landing on the moon in only 6,000 years, thats ridiculously fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back