• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How's everyone enjoying it?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Well, I've started my run through for KH2 in Proud Mode tonight... Quite nervous about it... On the 4th Day now and got Roxas levelled up to 6 and I picked Defense as the most important thing to me. Not sure if that was the right choice but I usually go for Strength.

One of these days I will attempt Critical but for now Proud mode is the highest I've ever gone in any difficulty level.

I'd say Shield is the best choice in KH2 period, but especially in the higher difficulties. There might be something to be said about Sword on Proud, since Proud is defined by its high HP bars, but hell, high HP bars means more chances to die. I'm sure you'll be fine!

hlc1988

Awards
I'd say Shield is the best choice in KH2 period, but especially in the higher difficulties. There might be something to be said about Sword on Proud, since Proud is defined by its high HP bars, but hell, high HP bars means more chances to die. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Well hopefully! I do wonder if that might be why I keep dying so easily when I played KH2 in Normal mode against the data battles... I picked Sword... We will see how I go... But I'm intending on levelling up higher then I need to be for each world.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm usually a pro magic person KH1 because I want to have that extra MP bar and MP haste/rage as fast possible, but in KH2 magic isn't as needed as defensive ability so defense is a smart choice.

Anagram

Banned
The best, and imo only important benefit of the shield in KH2, is that you get both Second Chance and Once more by level 50 which renders long HP a non-issue because you will always retain at least one hp from any attack.
On KH1 I tend to pick sword because of the higher attack power and drop shield. Or other times pick shield and drop sword.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
You sneaky sons of ***** at SE. There I was so hyped after finishing the final episode ready to kick some pureblood a$$ in the dark realm until I find out you have to collect all those damn stickers to do it. I'll do it later but man does BBS's ending even without the secret episodes and blank points evoke emotion on a level no other KH game does. After the whole thing was done I had this great feeling of saddness and happiness at the same time and that's without seeing Ansem's talk with Aqua.

Last edited:

hlc1988

Awards
Well my play through of KH2FM on Proud mode is going well. About to return to Twilight Town for the second visit.

I don't have a USB to be able to save my PS3 saves on though. I'd like to be able to save them on a portable device but I have no idea what to buy. I'm asking this here since I'm sure you guys will know a lot more to do with this since I'm sure you have all done this!

Last edited:

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Okay. Let me tell you what my brother told me.

You basically need some kinda portable USB drive, we use a portable hdd. It CANNOT be bigger than 500mb. The reason is you will have to format it in FAT32 because that is what the PS3 will recognize. Any bigger and it will not work.

Here's how to do that btw. I hope that helps. I think a 500 mb thumb drive will do as well as the hdd since I don't know if you can find 500 mb portable hdds anymore.

If you need more than how to format it, let me know, I'll ask 'Neko to write out full instructions and I'll type'em out for you (and correct his spelling; his spelling can be atrocious)

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
everyone note you don't need to collect all stickers to unlock the SE in bbs as long as you cleared the main game in critical mode.

and speaking of which, after clearing all 5 episodes of bbs, the main game of II, defeating the absent silhouettes and sephiroth all on critical mode, i feel incredibly accomplished. sephiroth is easy once you get his pattern down, have damage drive, second chance and once more, and make appropriate use of limit form. and the secret enemy of bbs isn't too hard with time splicer and surges.

WhinyAcademic

Awards
Now that I've finished BBS FM, I can properly assess everything.

KH2FM

Maybe it was just coming off of being LV 100 on KHFM and having just beaten Xemnas, but going into 2 I felt incredibly underpowered and weak. It took forever to kill a couple of Heartless. When I hit a Heartless with a Keyblade in 1, I felt the kick of the Keyblade as I struck the Heartless and felt the power of the blade even at the beginning. Here, I felt like I was hitting Heartless with half a wooden sword. And I never ran away from fighting Heartless, I always fought to grind EXP. But even well into the second round of visits, I felt weak. Something I didn't feel the first time I played KH2 years ago.

Magic is a joke here compared to 1. The only useful spell is Cure and even that has to absorb all your magic. In 1 I felt powerful casting Thundaga and raining hell upon the Heartless. Thunder in 2 is just a bolt of electricity. Whoopee.

After watching the Days and Coded movies, it was jarring to watch the lip lock again that's so persistent in 2. It's like they're determined not to animate so many folks' faces, and this makes it awkward and clunky to watch. Especially for expressive characters like Scar, the hyenas, Yuffie, and Merlin. I do appreciate the addition of extras, even if there are only four or five of them.

The Cavern of Remembrance was really fun and cool to traverse. The Absent Silhouettes were fun, but only Marluxia really needed a good strategy, the others I could hack and slash easily. The Data battles are wicked, though. And the fight with Terra is insanely cool. Haven't gotten the secret ending but I don't plan to, the challenges in Olympus and elsewhere are ridiculous.

I loved the Roxas fight. Easily one of the best boss battles in the series. And the HD ReMIXed music is to die for.

BBS Final Mix

Never played BBS, but the same criticisms abound from when I watched cutscenes of it. Empty worlds, cheesy dialogue, and Jason Dohring and Willa Holland's excuses for acting. People usually drudge out the "he sounds better as he goes on" but no, that's not an excuse. As an actor, you're paid to deliver a quality performance the entirety of the time. Maybe I'm being cynical but yeesh. Jason Dohring didn't help the comparisons of Terra being KH's Hayden Blandenstian (with a terrific Emperor/Xehanort performance to counter it, mind you). Willa sounded better than Jason, but she needs work. It doesn't help that she's given some of the worst dialogue. Mark Hamill similarly is okay but his dialogue is atrocious, just atrocious. HJO and Jesse are great, however.

Even though they're empty, the worlds are still pretty to look at. It was cool to climb the path to Maleficent's castle, or glide around on the exterior of the Deep Space ship. And they really do capture the essence of each world. Dwarf Woodlands' theme is just as whimsical and fun as Snow White was, in particular. Enchanted Dominion was hauntingly beautiful. And the rest of the soundtrack is of course top-tier. Tears of the Light, Unbreakable Chains, Dark Impetus, Dismiss, Night in the Dark Dream, and Ven's theme were all standouts not just for the game but for the series. And of course Rage Awakened too.

The combat is the best it's been in the series since 1. It's fun, sleek, and exciting. Terra definitely felt super strong, Ven was fast, and Aqua felt more natural to me, so she's my default BBS character. Command Board could be frustrating at times but it got better as I learned it more. Mirage Arena beats Overdone Coliseum any day, by the way.

The secret bosses are a blast. They're all intense, fun challenges. I LOVE Mysterious Figure and No Heart. Eraqus is awesome, and Vanitas Remnant is the most challenging KH boss I've ever faced. And the fact the Secret ending and Episode are easy to get makes everything so much better. The secret episode is a haunting, tragic walk down memory lane, since it reminded me of End of the World (we gotta go back someday!) Dark Hidd was really fun too.

The story is pretty good. Jason's shit performance aside, I did see where Terra was coming from, as well as with the other two. Ven was really likable and cheerful, and Aqua is so dignified and smart and, yep, sexy.

Easily the best game besides the first. 9/10.

coded

The worst game in the series. Nonsensical rambling, repetitive cheese about friends and hearts, awful dialogue, it literally put me to sleep. The cutscenes were beautiful to look at, though. Other than that, terrible excuse for a third offering.

Consensus: 2.5 is a great, packed and fun collection of two of the series' best games.
Pros: Beautiful HD update to cutscenes and music; lots fun from FM content; BBS is a standout game.
Cons: Weak gameplay in 2; Terrible acting in BBS; Coded is a nonsensical waste of time.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Which difficulty were playing KH2, WhinyAcademic? Was the sense of weakness a factor of Critical mode, or just something native to the feel of KH2 that you hadn't noticed before?

hlc1988

Awards
Well I just surprised myself.

Playing KH2FM in Proud Mode for the first time... I really struggled with Marluxia's Absent Silouhette in Normal mode but I just beat him in Proud Mode at level 47. I didn't even beat him in normal mode until about Level 80 and that was after I got glide. I haven't even got Final Form yet... heck I've just finished the last part of Space Paranoids and Hollow Bastion has just become Radiant Garden.

I'm also getting the hang of blocking. But I did it! So I'm pleased for myself! Just got Vexen and Lexaeus Absent Silouettes to do. Though I think I'm going to get to TWTNW and get myself final form before dealing with those two.

What is the average level to tackle the cavern of remembrance on? I struggled with the heartless/nobody battles int he long white corridor in Normal mode and that was at level 99... I'm wondering how difficult it will be in Proud mode.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I pulled through the last section somewhere in the 50s or 60s in Critical. There was a lot of juggling my drive form transformations to keep myself alive, though, which meant I went AntiForm even though this was the post-Final Form portion of the game, and I was out of potions. It's a brutal fight, but Critical's low enemy HP can be a weird boon.

Some guy

Well I just surprised myself.

Playing KH2FM in Proud Mode for the first time... I really struggled with Marluxia's Absent Silouhette in Normal mode but I just beat him in Proud Mode at level 47. I didn't even beat him in normal mode until about Level 80 and that was after I got glide. I haven't even got Final Form yet... heck I've just finished the last part of Space Paranoids and Hollow Bastion has just become Radiant Garden.

I'm also getting the hang of blocking. But I did it! So I'm pleased for myself! Just got Vexen and Lexaeus Absent Silouettes to do. Though I think I'm going to get to TWTNW and get myself final form before dealing with those two.
That's the good thing with KH2 imo, everything can become easier as you fight more, experiment and hone your skills (guard timing is a must). In comparison, most boss fights in other titles just seem cheap ... especially BBS' secret bosses that are more about luck (or exploits) than skills.

What is the average level to tackle the cavern of remembrance on? I struggled with the heartless/nobody battles int he long white corridor in Normal mode and that was at level 99... I'm wondering how difficult it will be in Proud mode.
You can tackle it at lv1 if you so wish, but you need all growth abilities at lv2 (I think). And I recommend having the highest tier magics (especially for reflect, magnet and thunder ... blizzard can be useful for the hot rod variants too), and a lot of elixirs/ magalixirs. Also, spam Donald's limits for an easier time ...

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards

Can't really say what level to be on in Proud since I played it on Critical. I think I completed that last corridor in the high 70's or low 80's and then I just kept going through that corridor to help level myself up to 99. I would say the most important thing to do is pay attention to what the Nobodies are doing especially in that last section of the corridor. When the Dragoons appear don't be there as they send out a shockwave, watch what the Sorcerers are doing with their cubes, and pay attention to where the Dancers are (aka stay off the ground). Glide and air combos are your best friends there. I stress that last part regarding the Dancers as they were the ones that killed me the most. At least on Critical, when they grab and throw you I went down to 1 HP (the Once More ability is very handy) and then one of the other Nobodies would take me out.

EDIT: Good point from Some guy too. High level magic is very useful, especially Thundaga.

hlc1988

Awards
I pulled through the last section somewhere in the 50s or 60s in Critical. There was a lot of juggling my drive form transformations to keep myself alive, though, which meant I went AntiForm even though this was the post-Final Form portion of the game, and I was out of potions. It's a brutal fight, but Critical's low enemy HP can be a weird boon.

I'm not even sure if I will be brave enough to attempt the game on Critical! So, in critical does the enemy have less HP? But deal more damage?

That's the good thing with KH2 imo, everything can become easier as you fight more, experiment and hone your skills (guard timing is a must). In comparison, most boss fights in other titles just seem cheap ... especially BBS' secret bosses that are more about luck (or exploits) than skills.

I tried one of BBS' Secret bosses (Vanitas Lingering Will) and I just died.

You can tackle it at lv1 if you so wish, but you need all growth abilities at lv2 (I think). And I recommend having the highest tier magics (especially for reflect, magnet and thunder ... blizzard can be useful for the hot rod variants too), and a lot of elixirs/ magalixirs. Also, spam Donald's limits for an easier time ...

I'm working on levelling up my drive forms now. And I think I've got all the magics to their highest tier too.

Can't really say what level to be on in Proud since I played it on Critical. I think I completed that last corridor in the high 70's or low 80's and then I just kept going through that corridor to help level myself up to 99. I would say the most important thing to do is pay attention to what the Nobodies are doing especially in that last section of the corridor. When the Dragoons appear don't be there as they send out a shockwave, watch what the Sorcerers are doing with their cubes, and pay attention to where the Dancers are (aka stay off the ground). Glide and air combos are your best friends there. I stress that last part regarding the Dancers as they were the ones that killed me the most. At least on Critical, when they grab and throw you I went down to 1 HP (the Once More ability is very handy) and then one of the other Nobodies would take me out.

EDIT: Good point from Some guy too. High level magic is very useful, especially Thundaga.

I will keep that in mind when I go through it.

I thought the Roxas battle in TWTNW would be difficult since I struggled with that in Normal mode too... had to level Sora up to level 58 before I finally managed to beat him... Yet I beat him this evening in Proud mode at level 51, second attempt. Yeah, I'm definitely getting better at this game, and learning along the way. I may even be able to do all the data battles this time round! And the Mushrooms too!

Last edited:

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
You can tackle it at lv1 if you so wish, but you need all growth abilities at lv2 (I think).

I think the minimum for Glide might be 3. It's hard to say because the Glide challenge is so particular, it might be possible if you jump into it differently. I really think they could have loosened it up.

I'm not even sure if I will be brave enough to attempt the game on Critical! So, in critical does the enemy have less HP? But deal more damage?

That's not a bad way to put it. Enemies deal double damage to you (like in Proud), and you gain less HP and MP (you end the game at 60HP instead of 120). You also gain EXP at a lower rate.

But in exchange, you deal 25% extra damage to enemies, get some free abilities on top of the normal ones (including big name abilities like Finishing Plus, MP Hastera, and two Lucky Luckys) and AP is redistributed to give you an early game lead (you get 50 at the start of the game but gain 1 less AP per level-up. I'm not sure how that compares to the main game, but to me it felt about the same in the end).

The end result is a game where both sides die a lot faster, rewarding skillful play more than the base game. Well, skillful play or "me, skillfully running in circles while praying I'm not crushed to death by magic bricks."

hlc1988

Awards
That's not a bad way to put it. Enemies deal double damage to you (like in Proud), and you gain less HP and MP (you end the game at 60HP instead of 120). You also gain EXP at a lower rate.

But in exchange, you deal 25% extra damage to enemies, get some free abilities on top of the normal ones (including big name abilities like Finishing Plus, MP Hastera, and two Lucky Luckys) and AP is redistributed to give you an early game lead (you get 50 at the start of the game but gain 1 less AP per level-up. I'm not sure how that compares to the main game, but to me it felt about the same in the end).

The end result is a game where both sides die a lot faster, rewarding skillful play more than the base game. Well, skillful play or "me, skillfully running in circles while praying I'm not crushed to death by magic bricks."

Thanks for the information. Maybe I will attempt Critical mode... one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back