• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How's everyone enjoying it?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I hate how stupidily hard this game gets out of nowhere. I had to grind a few levels and boost my defense so I could survive the motorcycle race in Space Paranoids.

I totally feel you on this. I spent hours grinding in Beast's Castle when it got stupid hard then the next world I went to it was easy as pie. I haven't been this frustrated over a difficulty mode in ages.

Yamuraiha

Awards
Finished KH2 a few days ago.. enjoyed it a lot! There are still some things for me to do (lvl up the forms, collect all treasures and puzzle pieces etc.) but aside from that I'm done with the story. Had a glitch once but I kinda figured that something like that is going to happen.. especially with what I read. Sometimes the graphics looked a bit ... sloppy too (that scene where Xemnas appears in Hollow Bastion looked really .. PS2ish? idk, maybe it was just me) but I was just too happy with having 2.5 that it didn't really bother me too much.

Now, if only I had the motivation to level up the Final Form. /:

WaveK89

I did not realize the tedium completing these journals on Proud would be. I'm not pro enough to handle Critical Mode. I gave up on the last Mushroom, No. 1 after failing countless times. I had trouble with the silhouettes, so I figured I would be having great difficulty with the Data Org. Then BBS comes around, and I just cannot subject myself to the horrors of Ice Cream Beat. Let alone complete the Reports.

Is it just me, or does anyone have a little trouble playing Roxas in Proud/Critical? I felt like I died more as Roxas than as Sora...I'm not really sure what is wrong with me, but I feel like my playing skills are getting worse.

Other than all that is mentioned, I beat the two games and enjoyed watching Re:Coded. :)

Articus

Just defeated the Lingering Will on Critical.

So hard... so satisfying...

Don't care enough about the mushrooms to get the gold crown... :( rather just play BBS now.

BlazeHeatnix

This is my first time playing KH2 in Critical, and...ugh. It's like every single attack kills in a single hit. It's insane and I don't know if I can handle it. How does Cyberman65 make it look so easy?

mittens

I don't think I'll dare to touch the game in Critical. In the years since playing it, I picked it up and had to use three potions on Twilight Thorn on standard...>_> The shame I felt in that moment was unbearable. It's okay though, muscle memory prevailed after a while. It'd be really nice to platinum it, but I haven't in 1.5 and I don't think I'll ever be able to beat lingering will, so I'll try to get as close as I can.

Otherwise I'm really loving it. Coded was a bit of a trek to get through, and it left me a bit confused, but everything else has been fantastic. I'm so happy to finally play through the Cavern of Remembrance, it's so atmospheric.

Darkrider S

I wasn't expecting the difficulty of KH2 Critical. Like. No other kingdom hearts game compares, not BBS, not coded, not even CoM/KH1 on proud. Even a small mistake with MOBS get you killed. I can't count how many deaths i've had before i got used to it. What makes it worse is that I picked attack over everything in twilight town only ever completing KH2 on tandard thinking i'd be fine. How wrong I was. This was especially annoying because critical skills like second chance i didn't get till Lvl 85 which is just completely unnecessary D: .Luckily I got once more at 45 ish though. THEN the cavern of remembrance is probably the hardest thing i've encountered in the game so far. Currently moving onto data battle which shouldn't be hard but I dread going up against LS.

BBS was fun to revisit again, especially in FM. I just finished terras story on Critical and moving onto the rest, What's really annoyed me is my lack of awareness. I accidentally deleted Terras completed save data when saving Aqua's story and now have to restart Terra's story, getting all the rare commands I grinded *Inward Sigh* Anyone who's completed it, on a scale of 1-LS how hard are the secret bosses in BBS ?

Articus

To those fighting the Lingering Will on Critical. How are you preparing yourselves?

Honestly? I used this guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGIaJ6TJA4w

But, I am no where near as good as this dude is, and I adjusted to my own playstyle, but there is definitely useful information throughout the video.

One of the main ones being his invisible barrier: the more combos done to him, the more damage he'll start taking, until that string of combos ends. But you need to be careful because he will counter attack after a while. The guide above goes over this, and I followed suit with it.

You really need to utilize all your resources. It should definitely be one of the last things you do.

I refused to farm stat boosts, as I feel it would cheapen the experience, but if you feel you must do so, you can collect them from doing various Data Battles.

Obviously, being level 99 is ideal.

Auto Limit Form helps if you need to replenish your MP quick, and revert back after. Additionally, if you can time it and break from a combo with it, and start attacking him, using Infinity and a well timed Giga Impact (the reaction command that follows it) is a NICE chunk of damage, and you should be able to do it twice, but you'll run out of MP. (Utilizing this is what actually helped me won it.)

I did not use other forms, unless I was desperate and needed the MP.

I used the Ultima weapon. MP Hastega yes please.

I turned Goofy and Donald's attack abilities off, and only let have Donald have Cure for emergencies and Duck Flare or whatever it's called.

Donald's limit is useful for getting a nice chunk of damage done to the boss, but you need both mp and Donald alive, so if by chance that is the case, definitely use it. I used his auto limit feature to ensure quick access.

I gave Goofy and Donald ethers up the wazoo. I gave myself 4 elixirs and 4 ethers. If you can get more elixers, do it, I was just too lazy to farm and didn't really think I would need them all anyway.

Other than that... I just kept trying and trying, learned to dodge his moves, find my own audio cues when to defend and dodge roll, and learned how to block his desperation attack.

Utilizing Thunder is good when he is vulnerable but you are too far. I would usually cast it multiple times until I reached him, and did only 2-3 combos as I knew the count would be off doing so. Using thunder, then jumping, casting it again, then gliding, usually worked for me. In the video his timing is perfect and he only uses it like once to reach him.

Blizzard is another good one to have in case you get attack locked, and you need to damage him (Thunder just won't do enough and you'll run out of MP.)

I've killed myself so many times with Aerial Recovery it's not even funny.

Reflect is not at all useful, and may as well replace it off your shortcuts with Blizzard.

Also, a well placed Limit Drive form in the middle of his barrage of attacks from his desperation attack can help give you the advantage and get some hits in, in case you do get yourself caught in his flurry of attacks.

You can dodge the first two phases of his Desperation attack with just Glide. Careful not to run into rocks though. This makes it so you really only need to learn to block the third phase.

Honestly still have no freakin clue how to properly evade his barrage of ice and glider attack. I got lucky and he didn't use it on my win.

Trying to beat Zexion, still trying. Any advice for Critical mode?

Data, or Absent Silhouette? They are very similar, but the AS I know a lot better.

For the AS, I waited until after Pirates of the Caribbean world.

You should definitely have Once More, especially if you are having major issues. Reflect is definitely a MUST.

Utlizie the Destroy Button when you get command locked, then lock target his book and break free. Will help you immensely.

Donald's Duck Flare is another great resource to damage his book fast, if you are having trouble.

Apparently it is more likely that the barrier for the meteor attack usually appears on the first blue circle it changes too, so I usually wait there and prepare reflect. Make sure you don't spam reflect and you cast it as soon as you feel it's about to go off. But don't go crazy, in case you did choose the right one, you want the time to wail on the book above you as that's his book.

Break Donald and Goofy out of the books. It is actually useful to have Goofy's attack abilities on, as Zexion cannot trap him in a book if he is in the middle of an attack (unless it's the one where everyone goes in.) Just give Donald cure. The damage they do does pretty much nothing.

When the book glows red, he is doing that bomb attack. Also, when you are usually forced into the book, he is most likely preparing to do it right at the start. Spam reflect until you see it. He'll start doing this on his "second phase." The third phase he will be bringing you into the meteor roulette thing, so no need to waste your MP once you get thrown in after that point.

Other than that... find his book ASAP when you get trapped and break free as soon as you can, but also pay attention to what's happening. Play offensively and defensively in a balanced way, and use resources you may have been neglecting.

If you can handle AS's attacks pretty well, the Data Battle is pretty similar and is pretty much the same fight. Just that his order of attacks are switched around meaning you can't really predict him, but with Once More, Second Chance, and other abilities... he's cake.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Are you guys talking about the main story fights? I'm playing KH2 on Critical and I don't find it that much harder than when I played KH2 on PS2 on Proud. There are moments where Heartless manage to kill me unexpectedly, but aside from that and people like Xaldin, I don't have many issues going through the game. I did however reach Twilight Town (right before going to The World That Never Was), so maybe after that is when things get harder?

Anyway, I haven't played KH2 in years and all the negative things about it that I remembered seemed to be missing this time around. My main issues with the game come down to two things:

1) The lack of Heartless/enemies in general when going from place to place in a world (the Savannah in Pride Lands is huge, but there are barely any people to fight and I want to fight more people).

2) Clear directions given on where to go/The worlds being watered down to not really have much to explore. I liked exploring Hollow Bastion and Monstro in KH1. Now, every world is really straightforward and that makes it lacking the need for exploration.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I'm having a difficult time going against Data Axel and Demyx. For the Axel, I just can't time that reaction button correctly. There are moments when I can stand in the middle and get it. He just rips across the court and I'm unable to press the reaction button.

hlc1988

Awards
Thanks for replying regarding how to get the Secret Ending for BBS on Normal mode. I think I'm going to keep on playing an Normal mode for Ventus and Aqua, purely because I am not experienced enough to face a harder difficulty yet. I never play games I've never played before on the hardest difficulty. I always play first time on Normal. BBS isn't as such a big game as the others that hopefully trying to get everything will not be as such a chore as it could be with KH2 (I gave up on that).

What level do the characters go up to in BBS? Is it level 50 or Level 99?

Darkrider S

I'm having a difficult time going against Data Axel and Demyx. For the Axel, I just can't time that reaction button correctly. There are moments when I can stand in the middle and get it. He just rips across the court and I'm unable to press the reaction button.

For axel just spam Sonic rave whenever you can. Limit form is your friend. Demyx I'm unsure, I beat him on the first try

What level do the characters go up to in BBS? Is it level 50 or Level 99?
Unsure, Level 99 seems Lonng to obtain (considering you reach endgame for each character in your late 20s if you plow through.
Are you guys talking about the main story fights? I'm playing KH2 on Critical and I don't find it that much harder than when I played KH2 on PS2 on Proud. There are moments where Heartless manage to kill me unexpectedly, but aside from that and people like Xaldin, I don't have many issues going through the game. I did however reach Twilight Town (right before going to The World That Never Was), so maybe after that is when things get harder?

Anyway, I haven't played KH2 in years and all the negative things about it that I remembered seemed to be missing this time around. My main issues with the game come down to two things:

1) The lack of Heartless/enemies in general when going from place to place in a world (the Savannah in Pride Lands is huge, but there are barely any people to fight and I want to fight more people).

2) Clear directions given on where to go/The worlds being watered down to not really have much to explore. I liked exploring Hollow Bastion and Monstro in KH1. Now, every world is really straightforward and that makes it lacking the need for exploration.
Personally i went from beginner on the ps2 to critical on ps3 not thinking it'd be that much different from the other kh games that have critical mode i.e Coded/BBS. Also, i'm not a blocker. KH2 taught me how important Block and reflect were, only got used to using it when i reached Pride lands. Particularly I was unable to get past Oogie Boogie for 2-3 hours ? on critical the damage done to you was insane.

If you're by TT end-game that's even better because you can level up faster (gullwing keyblade up and down TWTNW. the rest of the fights are pretty easy IMO. Even Xaldin was alright if you got the hang of the timings.

What exactly do you mean by more "People" ? If you mean like organization battles there's plenty of that with the data battles in at the cavern of remembrance. Very unlikely you'll get that far till you reach end-game.

Lack of exploration is made up with the gameplay IMO. Plus BBS has even less exploration.

Last edited:

Articus

The reaction pops up when Axel comes out from the background of the arena, and he usually jumps back in there when he gets thrown in the air. Just prepare for it, because as soon as he comes back to do anything you can react. Inbetween, you can easily defeat him by going into Limit Form and using Sonic Blade.

For Demyx, I had issues too, but the trick that worked for me was using Wisdom Form. Attach the Bonds of Flame keyblade as your second and spam firaga on first set of enemies, then pop Wisdom and spam the fire ability. Stock up on ethers and do not let yourself run out of MP. Keep using fire to kill the waves, and then the actual fight will occur. Eventually, he'll do the water forms again, and all you need to do is simply go into Wisdom again, or Final. I prefer Wisdom as it takes up less Drive Bars, meaning you can jump back into it again. The reason you want to use Wisdom/Final is it allows mobility when using magic.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
For axel just spam Sonic rave whenever you can. Limit form is your friend. Demyx I'm unsure, I beat him on the first try

Unsure, Level 99 seems Lonng to obtain (considering you reach endgame for each character in your late 20s if you plow through.

Personally i went from beginner on the ps2 to critical on ps3 not thinking it'd be that much different from the other kh games that have critical mode i.e Coded/BBS. Also, i'm not a blocker. KH2 taught me how important Block and reflect were, only got used to using it when i reached Pride lands. Particularly I was unable to get past Oogie Boogie for 2-3 hours ? on critical the damage done to you was insane.

If you're by TT end-game that's even better because you can level up faster (gullwing keyblade up and down TWTNW. the rest of the fights are pretty easy IMO. Even Xaldin was alright if you got the hang of the timings.

What exactly do you mean by more "People" ? If you mean like organization battles there's plenty of that with the data battles in at the cavern of remembrance. Very unlikely you'll get that far till you reach end-game.

Lack of exploration is made up with the gameplay IMO. Plus BBS has even less exploration.

I didn't mean Organization members, I just meant that I wanted more enemies to fight while moving from one location in a world to another. Like going after Jafar in Agrabah, after the carpet ride you reach the Oasis which has no enemies, then the marketplace with very few heartless, then the place after is just empty of heartless.

And what I don't get is how people are saying that Critical is so difficult. I'm not doing those weird things like spamming reflect or leveling up to 99 before the start of the game, I just went through and it hasn't been harder than I remember. In fact, Xaldin was easier than I remember and he's kind of the epitome of difficulty in KH2 for me. Is there a certain point in the game that was harder for people on Critical? Fighting the Absent Silhouettes are kind of hard, but when I level up they're doable. I feel like I'm missing what people are talking about as extremely hard for Critical in KH2.

BlazeHeatnix

Trying to beat Zexion, still trying. Any advice for Critical mode?

Ok, here are BlazeHeatnix's tips for Critical mode.

First, don't choose the sword. Ever. Not unless you're a KH Expert. Second, I recommend not bothering with Retaliating Slash, Dodge Slash, Slapshot or Aerial Sweep. They just get in the way. Don't equip any Combo Plus's or Air Combo Plus's either, unless you're fighting Xaldin and Xigbar. And if you practice enough, you won't need Magic Lock-On either as most of your offensive magic has a high enough AOE that you usually won't need it. Finally don't equip any "Auto" abilities. Just don't. They're hazardous to your health. Learn to get through your menu quickly.

You have magic. USE IT. Limits, summons, drives, all will help you tremendously. You can't get through the game mashing the X button with the occasional heal anymore. Use Chicken Little when dealing with a lot of mobs, use Genie and Peter Pan for bosses, and use Stitch for the coliseum. Firaga and Thundaga will absolutely WIPE THE FLOOR with mobs and some bosses, don't underestimate them.

Do not equip every single new Keyblade you come across. Unlike KH1 where pretty much every new Keyblade is better than the last, here different Keyblades are better for specific situations while some are just generally good to have. My pattern for the main story is Kingdom Key - Hero's Crest - Circle of Life - Oathkeeper - Rumbling Rose - Decisive Pumpkin. The Ultima Weapon sadly just isn't as good as the Decisive Pumpkin, in any situation. I know it's cool, and feels good to hit stuff with, and it's the friggin "ULTIMA WEAPON" but it's factually an inferior weapon, plain and simple. For TWTNW and Cavern of Remembrance, you may want to swap back to Rose, as it's better suited for heavy mobs than the Pumpkin. When fighting Demyx and Xaldin, use Bond of Flame and Guardian Soul respectively. For the Drives, change Valor form from Star Seeker to Oathkeeper once you get RR, and slap Oblivion and Ultima Weapon on Master and Final form respectively.

For Donald and Goofy, as far as customizing them you can leave it on default, and you may not care that much about their armor and accessories as no matter what they're equipped with, they'll die pretty quickly in any major boss battle. But you'll still want to keep them alive, because they serve two important roles now: Limits, and Drives. Donald's Limits are great for mobs, and Goofy's limits are great for bosses.
---------

Now, for Zexion, here's how I beat him, and I did it after just clearing Timeless River. Once the battle starts you'll want to alternate between destroying the books and wailing on Zexion. Freeing your friends should be your top priority, and using fire helps. You'll also want to use Upper Slash on him to get some air combos in. Once you eventually end up in his "domain", go into Valor form and just wail on him. Once Valor form is all used up, even if your drive gauge comes back, I don't recommend using it again.

From now on once you enter his domain, cast Reflect a few times to avoid getting hit by the book's "flash" attack. If your menu gets messed up, repeatedly pause the game with each page turn to check the options. If you don't see anything that might mean "heal" or "release", turn another page and repeat. If you don't see the red book when you immediately enter, look around and find a book that's seems to be controlling the rest. That's Zexion.

Now, the meteors. This is pure luck and tricky to get into the right one fast without Valor form's speed or Dodge Roll. If you don't make it, quickly keep casting Reflect to avoid the meteors or else you're dead. After that, just keep attacking Zexion whenever you can, and don't bother freeing your friends anymore.

Last edited:

Darkrider S

I didn't mean Organization members, I just meant that I wanted more enemies to fight while moving from one location in a world to another. Like going after Jafar in Agrabah, after the carpet ride you reach the Oasis which has no enemies, then the marketplace with very few heartless, then the place after is just empty of heartless.

And what I don't get is how people are saying that Critical is so difficult. I'm not doing those weird things like spamming reflect or leveling up to 99 before the start of the game, I just went through and it hasn't been harder than I remember. In fact, Xaldin was easier than I remember and he's kind of the epitome of difficulty in KH2 for me. Is there a certain point in the game that was harder for people on Critical? Fighting the Absent Silhouettes are kind of hard, but when I level up they're doable. I feel like I'm missing what people are talking about as extremely hard for Critical in KH2.

Ah yeah I can see what you mean by that. Personally I don't mind because I feel there's a decent enough balance. You want more enemies to fight just run through cavern of remembrance.

I think the main reason people are saying critical is so difficult is that other games critical/proud modes aren't nearly as challenging as KH2FM is and because of the high damage taken by general mobs and bosses in general, I don't know if you've played any other ones but personall out of every other KH game i've played that has critical (Minus DDD) This is the hardest, again this is most likely due to me playing vanilla KH2 on Beginner/Standard. Furthermore this was even harder for me because I did a dumb move early on and chose the Sword (meaning I had very very little defence).

Bobjam

Awards
Ok, here are BlazeHeatnix's tips for Critical mode.

First, don't choose the sword. Ever. Not unless you're a KH Expert. Second, I recommend not bothering with Retaliating Slash, Dodge Slash, Slapshot or Aerial Sweep. They just get in the way. Don't equip any Combo Plus's or Air Combo Plus's either, unless you're fighting Xaldin and Xigbar. And if you practice enough, you won't need Magic Lock-On either as most of your offensive magic has a high enough AOE that you usually won't need it. Finally don't equip any "Auto" abilities. Just don't. They're hazardous to your health. Learn to get through your menu quickly.

You have magic. USE IT. Limits, summons, drives, all will help you tremendously. You can't get through the game mashing the X button with the occasional heal anymore. Use Chicken Little when dealing with a lot of mobs, use Genie and Peter Pan for bosses, and use Stitch for the coliseum. Firaga and Thundaga will absolutely WIPE THE FLOOR with mobs and some bosses, don't underestimate them.

Do not equip every single new Keyblade you come across. Unlike KH1 where pretty much every new Keyblade is better than the last, here different Keyblades are better for specific situations while some are just generally good to have. My pattern for the main story is Kingdom Key - Hero's Crest - Circle of Life - Oathkeeper - Rumbling Rose - Decisive Pumpkin. The Ultima Weapon sadly just isn't as good as the Decisive Pumpkin, in any situation. I know it's cool, and feels good to hit stuff with, and it's the friggin "ULTIMA WEAPON" but it's factually an inferior weapon, plain and simple. For TWTNW and Cavern of Remembrance, you may want to swap back to Rose, as it's better suited for heavy mobs than the Pumpkin. When fighting Demyx and Xaldin, use Bond of Flame and Guardian Soul respectively. For the Drives, change Valor form from Star Seeker to Oathkeeper once you get RR, and slap Hero's Crest and Oblivion on Master and Final form respectively.

For Donald and Goofy, as far as customizing them you can leave it on default, and you may not care that much about their armor and accessories as no matter what they're equipped with, they'll die pretty quickly in any major boss battle. But you'll still want to keep them alive, because they serve two important roles now: Limits, and Drives. Donald's Limits are great for mobs, and Goofy's limits are great for bosses.
---------

Now, for Zexion, here's how I beat him, and I did it after just clearing Timeless River. Once the battle starts you'll want to alternate between destroying the books and wailing on Zexion. Freeing your friends should be your top priority, and using fire helps. You'll also want to use Upper Slash on him to get some air combos in. Once you eventually end up in his "domain", go into Valor form and just wail on him. Once Valor form is all used up, even if your drive gauge comes back, I don't recommend using it again.

From now on once you enter his domain, cast Reflect a few times to avoid getting hit by the book's "flash" attack. If your menu gets messed up, repeatedly pause the game with each page turn to check the options. If you don't see anything that might mean "heal" or "release", turn another page and repeat. If you don't see the red book when you immediately enter, look around and find a book that's seems to be controlling the rest. That's Zexion.

Now, the meteors. This is pure luck and tricky to get into the right one fast without Valor form's speed or Dodge Roll. If you don't make it, quickly keep casting Reflect to avoid the meteors or else you're dead. After that, just keep attacking Zexion whenever you can, and don't bother freeing your friends anymore.

Dude, thank you for all this info. Appreciate all the little tips and the time you took to write it! This will be especially helpful to people who never played the second game, let alone FM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back