• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How Many More KH Games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
So I was wondering how many more KH games are realistically possible?

I would say another trilogy is believable, but that should be the end (until a reboot 20 years from then possibly).

There are many factors that made me think of this:
Disney films that work in a KH game - even with 13 years between KH2 and KH3, there are only a handful of new Disney films that actually can work as worlds in a KH game. There's also the issue (that was apart in KH3) of a serious lack of relevant Disney villains that can appear in KH3, with the only really notable one being Hades. There's also the issue with the major upgrade in graphics making returning 3D worlds possibly stale. What I mean is if Kingdom of Corona were to appear in KH4, the areas would be the same as the ones visited in KH3. It's not like KH1 and KH2, where whole areas can magically be different (like Agrabah in KH1 compared to KH2, Halloween Town etc).

Original villain - the
Spoiler Spoiler Show
twist worked, but this is probably the last time that a KH game can believably have a *gasp* here's the true villain moment. There should be nothing after
Spoiler Spoiler Show
and that should be the final resolution of the story.

Knowing when to end the story - as much as I love KH, I don't want it to go on forever and either be forgotten/lose momentum and not get a proper resolution or never have a resolution due to the series being cancelled. I think it would be best for Nomura to assemble everything he wants to accomplish and tighten up the games' stories going forward to have proper closure. He's had the luxury of "oh I can include it in the next game", but he should seriously start thinking of "the final game" and getting everything in.

The gaming world has changed - I think it's clear from KH3 that, in some ways, KH games are behind in the times compared to modern day games. It didn't bother me at all because I don't really play modern release games except a few (MKX, Arkham Knight etc), but I talked to people who are gamers and they showed me how much content is packed into modern games (even before DLC). Can a KH game accommodate that much extra content packed into it? I would love a KH game with lots of extras in it (KH3 had a lot, but it was minor stuff compared to modern games).

What are your thoughts on the number of KH games the series should conclude with?

disney233

Awards
It really just depends on how far Nomura wants to go with the series, and it depends if Disney would want to continue providing for it.

The Disney universe is pretty vast, Disney, Final Fantasy, or other companies like Studio Ghibli, Fox, and other companies and games that Disney and Square owns like Chrono Trigger or Neir added into the Kingdom Hearts series. There can be many ways to tell a Disney/Square Enix story without the inclusion of K e Y B L a D e S THAT LITERALLY EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER HAS ONE.

There are also characters that never had a journey to make a story about, like Kairi (aaaaand I doubt they ever will with that one...). They can make arcs based on that or they can make completely new characters to start from scratch.

All it really comes down to is how far Nomura's vision of KH's future will take him. We need to ask those questions before asking how many games it'll take for Kingdom Hearts to conclude.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
How many more Mario games? How many more Maddens? How many more Batman comics will be made?

Like, I'm pretty sure KH is gonna outlive us & it's creators by centuries. No reason why it couldn't.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I honestly think the series will go on as long as it's successful. Nomura might have some things planned in advance, but a part of it feels just made up as it goes, which kind of lends itself to ongoing narratives.

Considering how many things have been ongoing for years, like say comics, I don't see why KH wont be one of them. I could even see them reboot the universe at one point once Nomura is out, to refocus the series in a more stream lined direction. With all it's retcons and convoluted plotlines KH already kind or reminds me of a ongoing comic from Marvel or DC.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
How many more Mario games? How many more Maddens? How many more Batman comics will be made

Pretty much this. It could go for a long time. When you got a successful series on your hands, you don’t stop. It’s only when you see a decline in sales or overall interest you make considerations and think of a new direction or begin a new IP to replace it.

GrandWebster

The difference with Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and etc. Is that they aren't overaching stories.

This storyline has been going for 17 years, with a good amount of games underneath it.

So I'll probably be in the minority in this that I could see Kingdom Hearts go for another 15 years at best, but The fact that we have to stick with Sora for another 15+ years is kind of dumb.
Seeing that Sora, in my eyes, is not what makes Kingdom Hearts at the end of the day.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The difference with Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and etc. Is that they aren't overaching stories.

This storyline has been going for 17 years, with a good amount of games underneath it.

So I'll probably be in the minority in this that I could see Kingdom Hearts go for another 15 years at best, but The fact that we have to stick with Sora for another 15+ years is kind of dumb.
Seeing that Sora, in my eyes, is not what makes Kingdom Hearts at the end of the day.

I doubt it'll always be the same continuity. The Batman example there's been many reboots & alternate continuities over the decades.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I get that the franchise can go on as long as it brings in money and is popular, but it's like TV shows that go on forever and lose their luster and then just get cancelled. I'd rather if Nomura figure out how he wants the story to end and then wrap up the whole story. Side stories within the established main story can be told after, but I truly think there should be an "end".

disney233

Awards
I get that the franchise can go on as long as it brings in money and is popular, but it's like TV shows that go on forever and lose their luster and then just get cancelled. I'd rather if Nomura figure out how he wants the story to end and then wrap up the whole story. Side stories within the established main story can be told after, but I truly think there should be an "end".

Thing is, Kingdom Hearts isn't a TV show. It's a video game. And unlike TV shows, video games, though they lose their touch I'm sure, they still go on and on. That being said, is Mario and Kirby and Final Fantasy dead yet? Have those three FINALLY lost their touch? Are they at the breaking point where they need to be axed out of the company?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Thing is, Kingdom Hearts isn't a TV show. It's a video game. And unlike TV shows, video games, though they lose their touch I'm sure, they still go on and on. That being said, is Mario and Kirby and Final Fantasy dead yet? Have those three FINALLY lost their touch? Are they at the breaking point where they need to be axed out of the company?

Mario, Kirby and Final Fantasy aren't one continuous story. If every KH game was a brand new story, then I would agree that you can have it go on forever. I don't mind going on an adventure with Sora, Donald and Goofy every game, but it kind of loses the KH vibe if there's no over arching story.

disney233

Awards
Mario, Kirby and Final Fantasy aren't one continuous story. If every KH game was a brand new story, then I would agree that you can have it go on forever. I don't mind going on an adventure with Sora, Donald and Goofy every game, but it kind of loses the KH vibe if there's no over arching story.

They aren't continuous, I suppose you're right. Mwell, odds are like I said before, odds they'll move on from Sora and from Disney if things get tedious to the point where it isn't making revenue.

GrandWebster

Unless the franchise takes a completely different turn and moves away from Sora/Kairi/Riku.

I don't see why the franchise has to continue pass Kingdom Hearts 6

This is overarching Narrative is Sora's "Story"

Neo_

Awards
I'd say another 20-year cycle with two mainline games and four "spinoffs". The series could live forever if it was a legitimate crossover and not 80% replaying Disney films and 20% cramming original content.

How many more Mario games? How many more Maddens? How many more Batman comics will be made?
I think Madden is a little different since it requires little imagination.

Last edited:

MasonJo

I think they could milk a lot of DLC off of KH3. If they go the same route as the previous titles before 3 then they could continue to use the same character models for the next however many games they make on UE4. The reuses of game assets will save them a ton of money. What it could come down to is whether the games continue to make money. In the end, Square is a big business and KH is a product and if it isn't making back what it costs to create consistently enough then they will stop. Actually having the KH3 team working on KH3 the whole time in its development was hard enough. My guess is maybe 3 DLC's and then another 3 games. The time between those titles I don't know, but hopefully only a couple of years.

Neo_

Awards
I would pay up to $15 per Disney world as DLC, but something tells me that's not the type of DLC we'll be getting (if any).

Back