• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General ► How have games/anime/manga... etc helped you through tough times?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Karishma

Awards
As a big fan of all things video games, anime, manga... KH has to be almost like a life raft I can run to when times are tough! Having been through depression and anxiety, KH is something I can turn to which represents friendship and love - and when the real world can sometimes be unpredictable and hurt us, when I am lonely I can always think of Sora and his challenges - and know I can get through my own darkness. Aqua's journey in A Fragmentary Passage really represented this for me too - and I do believe that it can bring about mental awareness (or being aware of one's own mind!) and where one is on their journey.
It may all sound weird - but it has helped me so much :) Has anyone else had these experiences too?

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
358/2 Days came out during my tumultuous times in high school, needless to say that game provided a much needed escape. I also replay Pokemon Crystal all when I feel overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Karishma

Awards
358/2 Days came out during my tumultuous times during high school, needless to say that game provided a much needed escape. I also replay Pokemon Crystal all when I feel overwhelmed.

Thanks so much for your reply - Pokemon Crystal is epic!! One of my faves, for sure!!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
BBS came out around the time my uncle passed away so it really helped me overcome my depression. (Not enough to keep me from dropping out of university but enough that I was able to keep my head afloat in community college)

KH3 actually triggered my depression more when combined with my father figure having a stroke then later passing away so the series didn’t always help...

When I don’t feel great I will revisit the older KH games, though. They remind me of happier times.

Star Trek: The Original Series is also my comfort show. I will turn it on and marathon it when I need a pick-me-up.

Recently a show called Midnight Diner has also been another comfort show. It’s nice to turn on an episode or two. It’s a show with delightful bittersweet vibes.

D

Deleted member 252753

Playing through the HD compilations on the PS4 then KH3 a few years ago helped me get through a long period when I felt very hopeless. I liked the sweetness of the stuff about friendship and also getting lost in the intrigue. I haven't felt up to playing Melody of Memories yet as as I was so bad at the demo that it made me even more stressed.

When I was at university and feeling extremely anxious and depressed, I got a lot of comfort from playing the Professor Layton games and the Ace Attorney series on my 3DS. I liked how immersive the stories were, like visual novels. Plus I really liked the cuteness of Layton's steampunk English world.

Growing up, playing Final Fantasy VI helped me get through some tough times as well.

Karishma

Awards
BBS came out around the time my uncle passed away so it really helped me overcome my depression. (Not enough to keep me from dropping out of university but enough that I was able to keep my head afloat in community college)

KH3 actually triggered my depression more when combined with my father figure having a stroke then later passing away so the series didn’t always help...

When I don’t feel great I will revisit the older KH games, though. They remind me of happier times.

Star Trek: The Original Series is also my comfort show. I will turn it on and marathon it when I need a pick-me-up.

Recently a show called Midnight Diner has also been another comfort show. It’s nice to turn on an episode or two. It’s a show with delightful bittersweet vibes.

I'm sorry to hear of your losses :-( The older KH games also bring me a sense of peace - but also make me feel sad to know how fast the time has passed and how many people have drifted away (friends) - it feels like just yesterday I bought those games. It really has taught me to try to be mindful as best as I can and make the most of everyday!

Karishma

Awards
Playing through the HD compilations on the PS4 then KH3 a few years ago helped me get through a long period when I felt very hopeless. I liked the sweetness of the stuff about friendship and also getting lost in the intrigue. I haven't felt up to playing Melody of Memories yet as as I was so bad at the demo that it made me even more stressed.

When I was at university and feeling extremely anxious and depressed, I got a lot of comfort from playing the Professor Layton games and the Ace Attorney series on my 3DS. I liked how immersive the stories were, like visual novels. Plus I really liked the cuteness of Layton's steampunk English world.

Growing up, playing Final Fantasy VI helped me get through some tough times as well.

Thank you so much for sharing! I think that is why I enjoy Fanfiction etc, especially of the earlier KH games - because it helps me to jump into my own little world :)
Final Fantasy 7 has definitely helped me through tough times - I can somehow relate to Cloud's angst!

Back