• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How exactly does the Recusant's Sigil work?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

LBJENmariposa

Hello, I'm relatively new to Kingdom Hearts. I was wondering, how does the Recusant's Sigil work?

How does it track the location of people?

I can sort-of understand how the Sigil can work on clothing, but how does it work in names?
If the name itself is marked, would the person marked be fine as long as no one called them by that name? (e.g. Lea asks Kairi to call him Axel, even though he's already been completed)

How can Xehanort sense where the people marked with the Sigil are?
Can only Xehanort/Xemnas do this, or can others like Xigbar and/or MoM track the Sigil, too?

How come, in Days, Xemnas is unable to track down Xion, despite her not only having an 'X' in her name but also having an 'X' on the zipper of her Organisation coat?
How come Luxu/Xigbar/Braig is unable to locate the mysterious black box when it has the word 'Xsuper' written on the top?
Why, in 0.2, can't Xehanort track down where Ventus' body is himself, as Ventus' has an 'X' on his shirt? Why does he have to try to trick Aqua?!

Sorry, I'm just really confused about this part.

AegisXIII

Awards
Some of it is a bit tackled in ReMind, and I started to realise that this is not meant to be fully understood yet. We might get more information in the future.

D

Deleted member 252753

Something I think Re Mind did show is that the Sigil is more than just an X on your clothes or in your name but a special mark a person can be branded with that has the shape on a X. So not every X you see is actually the Sigil though it is unclear and someone may have better info than me.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I've been having these half-formed thoughts in the back of my mind for months, so here you go:

When thinking about the Sigil, I can't help but think both about the Taboo spell on Voldemort's name in Harry Potter, which works as a tracking spell, and the name stealing spell in Spirited Away:

ChihiroSenName.gif

So basically I think it's a spell that you can anchor on the target either as a huge mark over the heart (DDD) or in a name (names being deeply tied to magic (incantation) and identity/core in general, see Death Note where you need a person's real and full name for the Death Note to hit them).

I think Luxu actually can track down the box—maybe thanks to the X on it, maybe not. He found it in no time at the end of KH3. It just had to exist.

X shapes are just shapes if there is no spell.

I'm not sure how it could work to explain why Xemnas lost track of Xion in Days... Did he really lose track of her, though? I wouldn't put it past him to lie to everyone else and keep tabs on what she's doing like the smart villain he is. Isn't he just waiting to see which Keyblade Wielder would be easiest to control in the end? Letting her loose is the best experiment.

But, yes, we'll hopefully learn more about it in the next games.

EDIT: And hopefully it's a symbol that will be shown to have evolved overtime, like in FFX what used to be a sports good luck sign becomes a religious greeting in the universe, 1000 years later. What if Kairi as a pure light is actually The Connection because her name has the Chi [kai] sound in it?

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
As far as tracking goes, I never assumed Xemnas or Xehanort could track someone by their name through the Sigil. I assumed that putting the Sigil in the name means he owns their existence and that they belong to him.

As Clue.Less said, we don't know if Xemnas could track his members or not. Roxas, Axel, and Xion are the only ones who have truly ran from the Organization and the circumstances are all interesting. With Roxas, he didn't get far before he was placed in Data Twilight Town and the Organization found him there. It's possible Xemnas tracked him there and sent Axel. With Xion, I always got the feeling Xemnas could find her if he truly wanted too, but was letting things play out, testing the strengths and limits of the Replica Program. He was also aware she made contact with Riku, so it's possible he was tracking her. And finally Axel. Unlike Roxas and Xion, I don't think Xemnas put tracking Axel as a top priority for himself, he was obsessed with finding a Sora. He let Saix handle it.

As for Xigbar and the box I have no idea. He did get the box in the end, but we don't know how yet. The Sigil is still a fairly new object in the KH world and hasn't been explored that much. We don't even know if all the Organization members knew of it's meaning. Roxas's group somehow knew of it so I'm assuming the others must know?

D

Deleted member 252753

Another thing about the Box is that it doesn't seem like it could be found just by looking through every world in space but was made to appear somehow by the Keyblade War so wherever it was exactly may not be somewhere that could be traced.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
As others have said, we see the sigil applied throughout the series in 2 ways: the mark on Sora’s chest in DDD (supposedly) and as a magical X (chi) mark which is inserted (presumably as some sort of curse/spell) into one’s name. The only time we actually see someone get branded by the sigil is when Roxas wakes up in Twilight Town, but ReMind appears to confirm that this process we see Xemnas use (creating an anagram of one’s name and inserting an X) is, indeed, the very process of marking someone with the Recuscant’s Sigil.

A couple important questions come up:
  • We never see Sora get marked in this fashion, nor does he have an X in his name. Question #1: Are there ways of marking someone with the sigil other than incorporating it into their name? I, personally, don't think the mark that YX talks about on Sora's chest is actually the mark on his clothing. YX's quote is "That sigil on your chest is the proof." Since we see the sigil literally emerge from RAX's chests in ReMind, I can almost guarantee this scene in DDD will be retconned to mean Sora has been similarly marked, but we're not seeing it.
  • My personal theory is that Sora shares the mark with Roxas, which explains how Sora can be marked without having an X in his name. Yet to be seen. Which raises Question #2: can the sigil be carried across a person's "other selves" (be they a person's Nobody, a Nobody's "somebody", or another incarnation)?

(Side note: worth also keeping in mind what MX says about the letter X (chi), as he holds in his palm what appears to be the Sigil itself. "Death... a letter that spells endings." I think it would not at all be far-fetched to think of the Sigil as a kind of curse, which may very well span lifetimes and time itself.)

With all this in mind, something I’ve been thinking about lately is the Lost Page and the mention of the traitor as “the one who bears the sigil.” I know many speculate the traitor to be Ava - and it’s perfectly plausible that she was, at some point, branded with the sigil - but given the information we do have, it struck me that this statement could have a new meaning after the revelations about the sigil in ReMind.

Given the information we have at hand (though knowing full-well there is important information we're missing), I think Back Cover + ReMind may imply that Luxu is the traitor. The reasoning is simple: the only instances we've actually seen someone's sigil mark are Roxas, Axel, and Xion, and based on the scene we see of Roxas being marked, we can assume the same holds for Axel and Xion as well. Additionally, given that in ReMind, Axel is now Lea, we now know for certain that a person can remain marked with the sigil even if they were marked as a Nobody and have since been re-completed (this partially answers Question #2 above in the affirmative). With the Axel-Lea example I think it would be perfectly reasonable to presume Sora inherited Roxas' Recuscant's Sigil when Roxas re-joined with Sora in KH2. If this is indeed the case, we have no reason to assume there is any other way to mark someone with the sigil than what we see ("cursing" someone's name), which gives us a tentative answer to Question #1: "probably not/there is no reason to believe so."

Given everything we know about the sigil it is almost certain that Xigbar (aka Luxu) bears the sigil, having been marked the same way as Roxas/Axel/Xion as a member of Org XIII. Additionally:
  • Luxu, in his original incarnation, also has an X in his name. This could very well be nothing, but it does raise the question - has Luxu always been marked? (The fact that Back Cover hints at "the one who bears the sigil" and includes one foreteller with an X in their name strikes me as pretty on the nose, but that's just me. Could very well be a red herring).
  • Assuming Xigbar definitely bears the sigil, does this retroactively apply to his past selves/lives? Raises Question #3, to which I have no answer: Does the sigil transcend time?
  • Or, if Luxu is already marked (given the X in his name - but if so, by whom? MoM?), then the tentative answer to Question #2 would suggest that Xigbar has already inherited the sigil, though it would then be unclear if Xemnas needed to mark him again for his own purposes.
In either case, whether Xigbar was himself marked, or the "X" in Luxu's name is significant, I think there is a strong case to be made for Luxu/Xigbar being the traitor based on this information.

Other questions obviously remain, such as what the true purpose of the sigil is (is it just tracking? or is there more?), and whether it's tied to the one who marks the cursed individual (for example, would Xemnas have to re-apply the sigil in order to track someone who's already been marked by someone else (say, the MoM)? EDIT: I’m thinking the answer to this latter question is yes, given what Roxas says about how their sigils will disappear along with Xemnas.

Lots remains shrouded in mystery. But it's pretty clear this thing will have a large role to play. Also, anyone please feel free to poke holes in my argument.

Last edited:

LBJENmariposa

all i know is if your a nobody you will have a x in your name and have the mark in ur heart i think. and sora had the x on his heart in ddd on his clothes.m

How come, in Days, Xemnas is unable to track down Xion, despite her not only having an 'X' in her name but also having an 'X' on the zipper of her Organisation coat?
How come Luxu/Xigbar/Braig is unable to locate the mysterious black box when it has the word 'Xsuper' written on the top?
Why, in 0.2, can't Xehanort track down where Ventus' body is himself, as Ventus' has an 'X' on his shirt? Why does he have to try to trick Aqua?!
^
but this

Back