• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How Ends Meet

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

JH

Ouvrez Votre Esprit
Website
www.khcentral.net
Prologue
Just Another End

Julian Harris stepped out of the office building. Another day of work past, another evening to prepare for the next. It was a ritual, and he knew it, but he went along with it. Everyone else did, he was just a part of the equation. A cog in the clock. If he stopped working, the whole clock stopped, and that wasn't something he wanted hanging over his head. And so, he kept with the repetition. The monotony of it all. There was no thrill, there was no joy, and yet, there was no sorrow. It was life, something even Julian Harris knew was just the waiting room for death. What Julian Harris didn't know, is that his calling number was approaching fast.

The grass below sighed with the pressure of Julian Harris' feet. The front door to his office building, owned by Rucan Incorporated, opened out into a large green field. No one had ever questioned why a sidewalk didn't exist, nor why the grass always seemed to be in perfect condition even though no one ever took care of it. Of course, no one complained, as it gave the building just the sort of elegant disguise it needed. What was found on the inside completely contrasted the perfect grass that one, like Julian Harris, took pride in stepping on each and every day. Julian Harris trotted through the grass and stopped at the long road that stretched out sideways in front of him. He looked left, then right, stepped forward, and was hit by a bus.

JH

Ouvrez Votre Esprit
Website
www.khcentral.net
It's quite short, and I have no idea what this story will be about...
Still, you're writing isn't bad. Post the first chapter sometime!

Fantastic, that's exactly what I was shooting for in the prologue.

---

Chapter One
The End​

Death means different things to different people. To some, it's the entrance into something high above all, complete acceptance of nirvana. To others, death is just the beginning of another life. A chance to make things right that were wrong in the past. To Julian Harris, death was nothing. Complete darkness, and yet so bright that he was forced to keep his eyes closed. He burned. He froze. He thought he sneezed, but he couldn't be sure. His body had been taken from him, after all. He hovered alone, separated from everything. He couldn't think, for he had no mind, and so he just was. To Julian Harris, this was utterly ironic, as death was suppose to be the end of being. However, he had never felt more in existence.

A voice.

Someone, or something, was calling out to Julian Harris, saying his name repeatedly. He tried to call back, but instead found himself mumbling. As the sound came from him, he was surprised. He mumbled again, louder this time. The voice continued, chanting his name like it was a ritual. And then, Julian Harris spoke one simple word, "You". It had seemed like years since he had said anything, and his own voice soothed him. In response, the other voice yelped with joy. Julian Harris felt himself smile at the response.

And then, he was back. His sensations, touch, smell, taste, hearing, all came back to him so fast that his head spun. He looked around, finding himself in a small room. It was dim, damp, and cold. His eyes strained to find light, but there was too little to soak in. The only light came from a lamp, which although the room was no more than twenty feet across, seemed hundreds of feet away.

"Hello?" He probed.

No response.

"Hello?" He repeated.

No response.

He sighed and tried to run his fingers through his hair, a habit he'd developed over the course of few years. However, he felt no hair. He patted the top of his head with one hand, and brought his second up in surprise. No hair was to be found by either hand. Instead, his head was completely smooth. Bald. Probably shiny, but he had no way of telling. It wasn't worth worrying about, he reasoned, and his mind moved on. He took a step. He took another step. Step after step, he headed from the lamp that appeared so far away.

And then, Jullian Harris was at a counter.

It was an oak hotel-like counter, complete with a desk lamp and a desk bell. Behind the counter, a short man sat. He had black slicked back hair, a dark mustache, and beady eyes. Upon Jullian Harris' arrival, he looked up with an expressionless face. He then directed his gaze at a computer screen, his hands resting on the keyboard.

"Name." The man said. His voice was sharp, cutting the air between him and Harris.

"Uh...um.." Harris stumbled.

"Name." The man repeated.

"Where am I--"

"Name."

"Can you tell me whe--"

"Name."

Harris sighed, "Julian Harris."

The man typed it into the computer.

"Occupation."

"What?"

"Occupation."

"Uh...buisness executive."

Again, the man typed.

"Age."

"34."

Click click tap tap.

"Marital status."

"Now this is just ridicul--"

"Marital status."

Harris groaned, "Divorced."

The man typed.

"Death."

"Yes, I am de--"

The man moaned and turned his eyes to Harris.

"How. How did you die."

"Oh. Um, traffic accident, I guess."

Tap tap click tap.

The man nodded and pressed a button. A printer next to the computer churned with activity. One sheet of paper was spat out, which the man immediatley retrieved. He held it out to Harris.

"There you are, Mr. Harris," The man spoke, his voice now softer, "Welcome to Purgatory."

Nojerom

Resilience
Website
www.facebook.com
I know what purgatory is.

Alot of people like to believe it's the place between heaven and hell.

I like to believe if there was such a thing, that this place would be it.

No one ever said life had to be easy, y'know?

But what you got is cool.

JH

Ouvrez Votre Esprit
Website
www.khcentral.net
Chapter Two
Your Personal Purgatory and You

When you die, what is it that you think? Does your mind wander about Heaven and Hell, do you even have a mind at all. How can we expect to think about our death when death takes our thoughts away from us? Death is an infinite ironic. No matter how many times you take a glance at it, it will refuse to make sense. Julian Harris discovered this the instant he had died. He was confused, and his confusion sparked anger.

"What the hell!?" Harris screamed, banging his hands on the desk, scattering the papers he had held, "Why am I here!? What have I done to deserve this!?"

The man behind the desk sighed and held out his hand. Instantly, the scattered papers became a stack again and were neatly placed on the desk.

"You are here," The man began, "Because you are human. All humans experience Purgatory, and it is time for you to experience yours."

Harris was silent. He looked at the man with distress.

"But, I was never a bad man," Harris pleaded, "I did what I had to do. I was who I thought I was suppose to be. How does that make me a bad person?"

"It doesn't," The man admitted, "But you must experience the good with the bad. Life was the good. Whether or not you decided to make it good was up to you. After the good, you must experience the bad, and that you shall. Now take your papers and be on your way."

"But where do I go?" Harris questioned.

The man smiled, "Wherever it is that you don't want to."

"And where is that?" Harris pushed.

"Well, that's not up to me now is it?" The man argued, "Look at your papers. They'll tell you all you need to know."

And with that, the man and the desk were gone. Julian Harris blinked, or at least thought he blinked, and rotated himself in all directions. Nothing.

And then, all at once, everything. He was on a beach. It wasn't just any beach, however, it was the beach where Harris had grown up. The beach where he had spent the majority of his summer vacations as a kid. He looked for his old house, which had been right next to the beach, but found nothing. Just sand, water, sun, and Julian Harris. The warm air around him circled his hear, and he felt at peace. He smiled and looked down at himself, finding that he was still dressed in his business suit. In his hand, the papers pleaded to be read. Harris sighed and brought them to his view, finding himself face to face with a cover sheet.

For the Death of Julian Harris
Information On How To Experience Your Personal Purgatory to It's Fullest!

Humor. It surprised Harris enough to draw a chuckle out of him. He flipped the cover sheet back over the single staple at the corner of the papers.

Welcome to Purgatory!
Welcome to the rest of your life! No pun intended, of course. Right now, we understand that this harsh reality must be hard to coup with. After all, life was probably hell for you, and now you realize that the afterlife is no different! Ha! But seriously, we really don't want to do this to you. It's what we have to do, and if you don't like it then that's ok. You're just doing our job for us. You see, you'll be happy at times, and you'll be sad at times. It's all part of the experience, shall we get started? So, to start off, you probably really like this beach. And look! There's you!

Harris looked up from the papers to see a younger him, playing and laughing in the water. Next to him, his childhood friend Harry Bourl. They were wrestling around, pushing each other under and then out of the water. With one push, Harry went under. Young Julian laughed and searched the water for Harry to come back up. There was silence. Suddenly, young Julian's expression changed drastically. Harry wasn't coming back up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back