• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How do you think Disney will fit into the next game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 246005

I thought about this in the other thread-

"I guess Yozara potentially being an alternate Sora/Riku is a way to adapt the live action remakes. But is that something people really want?

It could be interesting but low priority to me. I rather just get new worlds or sequels to existing ones. Maybe just retool some of the new aspects into a sequel? Like the Witch from Mulan 2020 pops up as a new villian for Mulan to fight? Or Belle and goes on a new adventure to meet her missing mom?"

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I thought about this in the other thread-

"I guess Yozara potentially being an alternate Sora/Riku is a way to adapt the live action remakes. But is that something people really want?

It could be interesting but low priority to me. I rather just get new worlds or sequels to existing ones. Maybe just retool some of the new aspects into a sequel? Like the Witch from Mulan 2020 pops up as a new villian for Mulan to fight? Or Belle and goes on a new adventure to meet her missing mom?"

I’m not crazy about the majority of the live action remakes, but I think they could be a lot more enjoyable in video game form. Kinda like how I think At World’s End was not a great film, but I really enjoyed playing in the world in KH3. It’s possible Disney might even give Nomura more freedom with live action remake worlds since they aren’t the definitive Disney versions of the characters like the original animated films. I could be wrong about that though. Disney’s weird.

Plus, it might give us a shot at getting some fights we missed out on like Gaston and Snake Jafar.

Another option I’d like to see is for Nomura to give his own original take on giving Disney animated characters and worlds a realistic style. It could draw inspiration from the live action remakes while not being tied to limitations that would come from directly adapting the films to a video game, such as rights to use an actor’s likeness, etc.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
They could be fun for the level design. Tim Burton's Underland and the B&tB castle / servants would be kind of amazing, visually...

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I think for most, if not all the games, it's hard to reduce the worlds to one or even two key themes. But for KH3, I would actually say that the main themes are Separation & Connection and maybe Sacrifice.

Resolution was also the main theme in Kingdom Hearts III as said in most interviews and pretty much ties in with what happened in the game:
  1. It marked the end of the Xehanort Saga including Master Xehanort
  2. It resolved the pain and sorrow for the Sea-Salt Trio (Roxas, Axel/Lea, Xion) and the Wayfinder trio (Terra, Ventus, Aqua)
  3. Olympus story was re-enacting the climax of the movie and concluded the story of Hercules
  4. The Caribbean followed the plot to At World's End (The third Pirates film) instead of Dead Man's Chest which made sense, because according to Nomura, the third film was the climax/conclusion to the original three films just like Kingdom Hearts III being the conclusion to the Xehanort saga and wouldn't make sense to have The Caribbean's story end in the middle as the 2nd film ended on a cliffhanger.

For example, when you get 5* in the Bistro you get a cutscene discussing Sora's ability to connect with hearts, which I found odd.
The cutscene was mainly discussing on Little Chef's commitment to cooking and his desire to put smiles on everyone's faces thanks to the success of the Bistro and why he had an attachment to Sora.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I’m not crazy about the majority of the live action remakes, but I think they could be a lot more enjoyable in video game form. Kinda like how I think At World’s End was not a great film, but I really enjoyed playing in the world in KH3.
I think we have a couple of live-action films that do see potential like Mary Poppins (original 1964 or Mary Poppins Returns), Oz, the Great and Powerful, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, the upcoming Jungle Cruise movie and possibly Maleficent (2014 film) and Alice in Wonderland (2010 version) the latter two that I do see in the next KH game before KHIV.

It’s possible Disney might even give Nomura more freedom with live action remake worlds since they aren’t the definitive Disney versions of the characters like the original animated films. I could be wrong about that though. Disney’s weird.

I also think that some of the earlier Disney animated films released before the Revival era (2009-present) like Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dumbo, Meet the Robinsons, among others will also allow Nomura and his team more creative freedom on them when compared to the more Revival era animated films (e.g. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Zootopa etc.) and to a degree the Pixar films where they put restrictions and less freedom to them.

I say that San Fransokyo, from Big Hero 6 was the ONLY new Disney world out of the 5 new Disney worlds (Kingdom of Corona, Toy Box, Monstropolis, and Arendelle) introduced for KH3, that Disney didn't put Guidelines and restrictions on given that the story was set after the events of the movie instead of being a retelling of the original film which allowed Nomura and his team creative freedom, of course credit goes to Roy Conli (producer of Big Hero 6) who came up with the original story.

Regarding Olympus (Hercules), 100 Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh) and The Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean) I say that they
where the Disney worlds I didn't see ANY restrictions/guidelines put on those worlds in KH3, especially the former two. This is given that most of the people who worked on those films weren't involved in the game and Disney who had no involvement in the previous installments just allowed Nomura and his Team to do what they want with these worlds/films given that they appeared in previous KH titles, even the same can be said with the other Disney worlds in previous games like Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas), Neverland (Peter Pan), Land of Dragons (Mulan), among others.

The Caribbean is in the grey area, while it didn't had any of the people involved from the film series nor did it had guidelines like Arendelle, Corona and the Pixar-based worlds: Toy Box and Monstropolis in KH3, they had to trimmed things down due to time constraints, as the original film was nearly 3 hours long (169 minutes) and also a lot of stuff has happened in the film hence why we had SDG spending time with the "Jack Sparrow" made by Tia Dalma and just only going through rescuing Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones' Locker to The Maelstrom Battle at the climax of the world.

Another option I’d like to see is for Nomura to give his own original take on giving Disney animated characters and worlds a realistic style. It could draw inspiration from the live action remakes while not being tied to limitations that would come from directly adapting the films to a video game, such as rights to use an actor’s likeness, etc.
I think it would work for some of them but not EVERY one of the Live-action remakes. Personally In my opinion from the "live-action remakes" that only would work for Kingdom Hearts is Maleficent (2014 film) and Alice in Wonderland (2010 version).

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

I think we have a couple of live-action films that do see potential like Mary Poppins (original 1964 or Mary Poppins Returns), Oz, the Great and Powerful, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, the upcoming Jungle Cruise movie and possibly Maleficent (2014 film) and Alice in Wonderland (2010 version) the latter two that I do see in the next KH game before KHIV.

I also think that some of the earlier Disney animated films released before the Revival era (2009-present) like Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dumbo, Meet the Robinsons, among others will also allow Nomura and his team more creative freedom on them when compared to the more Revival era animated films (e.g. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Zootopa etc.) and to a degree the Pixar films where they put restrictions and less freedom to them.

I say that San Fransokyo, from Big Hero 6 was the ONLY new Disney world out of the 5 new Disney worlds (Kingdom of Corona, Toy Box, Monstropolis, and Arendelle) introduced for KH3, that Disney didn't put Guidelines and restrictions on given that the story was set after the events of the movie instead of being a retelling of the original film which allowed Nomura and his team creative freedom, of course credit goes to Roy Conli (producer of Big Hero 6) who came up with the original story.

Regarding Olympus (Hercules), 100 Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh) and The Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean) I say that they
where the Disney worlds I didn't see ANY restrictions/guidelines put on those worlds in KH3, especially the former two. This is given that most of the people who worked on those films weren't involved in the game and Disney who had no involvement in the previous installments just allowed Nomura and his Team to do what they want with these worlds/films given that they appeared in previous KH titles, even the same can be said with the other Disney worlds in previous games like Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas), Neverland (Peter Pan), Land of Dragons (Mulan), among others.

The Caribbean is in the grey area, while it didn't had any of the people involved from the film series nor did it had guidelines like Arendelle, Corona and the Pixar-based worlds: Toy Box and Monstropolis in KH3, they had to trimmed things down due to time constraints, as the original film was nearly 3 hours long (169 minutes) and also a lot of stuff has happened in the film hence why we had SDG spending time with the "Jack Sparrow" made by Tia Dalma and just only going through rescuing Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones' Locker to The Maelstrom Battle at the climax of the world.

I think it would work for some of them but not EVERY one of the Live-action remakes. Personally In my opinion from the "live-action remakes" that only would work for Kingdom Hearts is Maleficent (2014 film)
and
Alice in Wonderland (2010 version).

I’m not sure if you’re changing the color of your text in some spots or what, but I can’t see large chunks of it when I’m in dark mode on my phone. Might be easier for people to read if you leave it all one color. Just a heads up.

Anyway, if they go the route I’m proposing, I see the game set in the secret ending’s universe potentially utilizing both the live action remakes and other live action Disney properties. Any animated films would be saved for games set in the standard KH universe we’ve been playing in up until now. This way, it’s clear this is an entirely separate world line parallel to the normal KH universe.

I’m not sure why Alice and Maleficent are the only ones that would work. Why not Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc.? The only ones that I think would be hard to work with are The Lion King and maybe Jungle Book. But I think they could make the latter work too with some creativity.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I’m not sure if you’re changing the color of your text in some spots or what, but I can’t see large chunks of it when I’m in dark mode on my phone. Might be easier for people to read if you leave it all one color. Just a heads up.
I haven't changed the color of my text as I used my Laptop and at the same time I have been clicking on preview to see what my post look like prior to posting.

Anyway, if they go the route I’m proposing, I see the game set in the secret ending’s universe potentially utilizing both the live action remakes and other live action Disney properties. Any animated films would be saved for games set in the standard KH universe we’ve been playing in up until now. This way, it’s clear this is an entirely separate world line parallel to the normal KH universe.

I’m not sure why Alice and Maleficent are the only ones that would work. Why not Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc.? The only ones that I think would be hard to work with are The Lion King and maybe Jungle Book. But I think they could make the latter work too with some creativity.
I don't think they need to have all the live-action remakes than can just utilize like 3-4 from the live-action Disney films at the most, but In my opinion I can't envision the Disney worlds in the next game just be ONLY the live-action Disney films, including the remakes. I think the first thing when compared to the Live-action Disney films (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron) is when, where and how are the worlds based on the live-action remakes reached, is it a realm/dimension reminiscent to the realm of Sleep from Dream Drop Distance? Do the live-action remakes reside in the Realm of light as the animated versions of the film (e.g Agrabah, Beast's Castle, Wonderland)? You see what I'm saying, I say they need to just start of small in which ones of the live-action remakes they want and Maleficent (2014 film) and Alice in Wonderland (2010 version) seem to be the likely fits from the remakes and the rest of them could just be Oz, the Great and Powerful, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, and the upcoming Jungle Cruise movie for the next KH game before KHIV.

I also think they need to have some variety in the Disney worlds just to even things up for visuals sake like having a Pixar based world or ones based on their animated films from the Animated Features Canon and like I said before, some of the earlier Disney animated films released before the Revival era (2009-present) like Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Meet the Robinsons, among others that become worlds will also allow Nomura and his team more creative freedom besides just the live-action films, when compared to the more recent Revival era animated films (e.g. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Zootopa etc.) and to a degree, the Pixar films that became worlds seen in KH3 where the people who worked on those films will just put restrictions and less freedom to Nomura and the team.

The themes that the Disney film has in common to the specific KH game. Frankly, the themes that the Disney film/world share in common has been debatable and I feel that some of the Disney worlds (not all of them) felt questionable in some of the KH games, not to say that there is anything wrong with them being in the KH game, but I feel that some of them should've been worlds in earlier installments or don't seem to match the theme(s) of that KH game and just were added in the game, because of the environment/gameplay, or what Nomura and the development team want imao. Like The Hunchback of Notre Dame felt more like a KH1 or KH2 world, mainly the latter given that half of the worlds in KH2 consisted of films from the Disney Renaissance (e.g. Lion King, Mulan, Hercules, Little Mermaid etc.); Monster's Inc. felt like world for DDD than KH3, in fact I actually wanted a Pixar based world and this film to appear earlier in the series prior KH3; Beast's Castle, Land of Dragons and Pride Lands where just worlds added in KH2 by Nomura and the team, because their worlds were destroyed by the Heartless in the first game and the latter two worlds had Simba and Mushu who were summons in the first KH game, not because the films (BatB, Mulan, Lion King) the worlds were based on shared the themes to KH2.

I think as what Tartarus said, it's hard to predict which Disney worlds will be added when you don't really know where Sora is or what it's going to take for him to come back.

Films like Coco, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, too name a few seem to be ideal fits for the next KH game that is in development, the former because Sora is "Dead" in some way, the latter two dealing with growing up and sacrifice respectively as they both with Sora using the "Power to Return Hearts".

Finally, it just comes down to how far Nomura and his team are in development for the next KH game and if they already finished choosing the Disney and Pixar films they want as worlds for the next game? I'd be surprised to see some of the more recent films (the live-action remakes of Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, the upcoming Jungle Cruise) being among those films included as a world in the next KH game, because I have been noticing lately that some of the more recent films released by Disney have been included as a world in a future KH game. The film, Tron: Legacy was a perfect example of this, as the film came out in 2010 while Dream Drop Distance was still in development and eventually became a word 2 years after the film came out, perhaps the development team saw that film and decided to add it in at the last minute as a world in DDD. Even Big Hero 6 got included in Kingdom Hearts III just a year after its movie came out in 2014, but unlike with Tron: Legacy, Disney and/or Roy Conli basically requested Nomura to be added in the game as a world.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I haven't changed the color of my text as I used my Laptop and at the same time I have been clicking on preview to see what my post look like prior to posting.

I don't think they need to have all the live-action remakes than can just utilize like 3-4 from the live-action Disney films at the most, but In my opinion I can't envision the Disney worlds in the next game just be ONLY the live-action Disney films, including the remakes. I think the first thing when compared to the Live-action Disney films (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron) is when, where and how are the worlds based on the live-action remakes reached, is it a realm/dimension reminiscent to the realm of Sleep from Dream Drop Distance? Do the live-action remakes reside in the Realm of light as the animated versions of the film (e.g Agrabah, Beast's Castle, Wonderland)? You see what I'm saying, I say they need to just start of small in which ones of the live-action remakes they want and Maleficent (2014 film) and Alice in Wonderland (2010 version) seem to be the likely fits from the remakes and the rest of them could just be Oz, the Great and Powerful, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, and the upcoming Jungle Cruise movie for the next KH game before KHIV.

I also think they need to have some variety in the Disney worlds just to even things up for visuals sake like having a Pixar based world or ones based on their animated films from the Animated Features Canon and like I said before, some of the earlier Disney animated films released before the Revival era (2009-present) like Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Meet the Robinsons, among others that become worlds will also allow Nomura and his team more creative freedom besides just the live-action films, when compared to the more recent Revival era animated films (e.g. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Zootopa etc.) and to a degree, the Pixar films that became worlds seen in KH3 where the people who worked on those films will just put restrictions and less freedom to Nomura and the team.

The themes that the Disney film has in common to the specific KH game. Frankly, the themes that the Disney film/world share in common has been debatable and I feel that some of the Disney worlds (not all of them) felt questionable in some of the KH games, not to say that there is anything wrong with them being in the KH game, but I feel that some of them should've been worlds in earlier installments or don't seem to match the theme(s) of that KH game and just were added in the game, because of the environment/gameplay, or what Nomura and the development team want imao. Like The Hunchback of Notre Dame felt more like a KH1 or KH2 world, mainly the latter given that half of the worlds in KH2 consisted of films from the Disney Renaissance (e.g. Lion King, Mulan, Hercules, Little Mermaid etc.); Monster's Inc. felt like world for DDD than KH3, in fact I actually wanted a Pixar based world and this film to appear earlier in the series prior KH3; Beast's Castle, Land of Dragons and Pride Lands where just worlds added in KH2 by Nomura and the team, because their worlds were destroyed by the Heartless in the first game and the latter two worlds had Simba and Mushu who were summons in the first KH game, not because the films (BatB, Mulan, Lion King) the worlds were based on shared the themes to KH2.

I think as what Tartarus said, it's hard to predict which Disney worlds will be added when you don't really know where Sora is or what it's going to take for him to come back.

Films like Coco, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, too name a few seem to be ideal fits for the next KH game that is in development, the former because Sora is "Dead" in some way, the latter two dealing with growing up and sacrifice respectively as they both with Sora using the "Power to Return Hearts".

Finally, it just comes down to how far Nomura and his team are in development for the next KH game and if they already finished choosing the Disney and Pixar films they want as worlds for the next game? I'd be surprised to see some of the films (the live-action remakes of Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, the upcoming Jungle Cruise) being among those films included as a world in the next KH game, because I have been noticing lately that some of the more recent films released by Disney have been included as a world in a future KH game. The film, Tron: Legacy was a perfect example of this, as the film came out in 2010 while Dream Drop Distance was still in development and eventually became a word 2 years after the film came out, perhaps the development team saw that film and decided to add it in at the last minute as a world in DDD. Even Big Hero 6 got included in Kingdom Hearts III just a year after its movie came out in 2014, but unlike with Tron: Legacy, Disney and/or Roy Conli basically requested Nomura to be added in the game as a world.

This is what I was seeing. Your latest post doesn’t look like this though, so I guess the issue’s fixed. No worries or anything. Just wanted to make you aware.

DF795A24-D609-441C-A442-78A819965E97.png

I get not wanting a game completely made up of worlds based on live action films, but I think they would still be able to make the worlds visually distinct enough with diverse environments, lighting, and shading, even if the they’re using realistic textures. Keep in mind Nomura said this last year:

Tetsuya Nomura: For Kingdom Hearts, it's been a while since we released on a console. Now a lot of developers are creating photorealistic games, and I think that's more mainstream nowadays. I wanted to prove Kingdom Hearts is able to do a more realistic game as well. I also was very interested to see how realistic we could get it. That's why I wanted to have some live action film-based world.

Why else would he want to prove KH could do a more realistic game (not just a world) if he didn’t want to make a more realistic KH game? I believe the Caribbean was a highly successful experiment for the potential future of the series. Sora’s new render for when he meets Yozora and the world line concept only further suggest this is where Nomura’s ideas could be heading. With the realistic world we see in the secret ending featuring a parallel Sora/Riku, it’d make sense for it to be an entire realistic world line with parallel versions of Agrabah, Beast’s Castle, etc.

I’m not sure I get what you’re saying at the end there. You say Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are too recent to be in the next game. But then you give excellent examples of films that were added to the games during development. This also happened with KH1 and 2 with Deep Jungle and Port Royal, respectively. The franchise has never shied away from using films that are newer and I doubt it would start now.

Also, I can’t imagine that we’re any less than two years from the next full size and original KH game, at least. Nomura has had his hands full with Re Mind and FFVIIR. So while he most likely has an idea of what kind of worlds he wants to use and maybe some specifics in mind, I doubt he’s already had talks with Disney and done any kind of finalizing.

GreyouTT

Awards
If we go for all live action films, do you think Lion King will be qualified or disqualified?

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
This is what I was seeing. Your latest post doesn’t look like this though, so I guess the issue’s fixed. No worries or anything. Just wanted to make you aware.

View attachment 12083

I get not wanting a game completely made up of worlds based on live action films, but I think they would still be able to make the worlds visually distinct enough with diverse environments, lighting, and shading, even if the they’re using realistic textures. Keep in mind Nomura said this last year:

Why else would he want to prove KH could do a more realistic game (not just a world) if he didn’t want to make a more realistic KH game? I believe the Caribbean was a highly successful experiment for the potential future of the series. Sora’s new render for when he meets Yozora and the world line concept only further suggest this is where Nomura’s ideas could be heading. With the realistic world we see in the secret ending featuring a parallel Sora/Riku, it’d make sense for it to be an entire realistic world line with parallel versions of Agrabah, Beast’s Castle, etc.

I’m not sure I get what you’re saying at the end there. You say Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are too recent to be in the next game. But then you give excellent examples of films that were added to the games during development. This also happened with KH1 and 2 with Deep Jungle and Port Royal, respectively. The franchise has never shied away from using films that are newer and I doubt it would start now.

Also, I can’t imagine that we’re any less than two years from the next full size and original KH game, at least. Nomura has had his hands full with Re Mind and FFVIIR. So while he most likely has an idea of what kind of worlds he wants to use and maybe some specifics in mind, I doubt he’s already had talks with Disney and done any kind of finalizing.
No, don't get me wrong, I'm not against the notion the Live-action Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin not appearing and I said in my previous posting, I'd be surprised if those aforementioned films (live-action BatB, live-action Aladdin) along with the upcoming Jungle Cruise might be implemented as worlds in the next KH game. Do I want more live-action Disney worlds, absolutely I really love how they did a fantastic job with the visuals of The Caribbean world and would choose these over Marvel and Star Wars being in Kingdom Hearts, though when compared to The Caribbean and the future potential live-action based worlds (e.g. Jungle Cruise, Oz, Nutcracker and the Four Realms) residing in the realm of light, I think Nomura and the development team have to figure out where to implement the live-action remakes worlds and where do they reside in the KH universe?

Regarding how long we have to wait, given that they are now using the Unreal Engine 4, along with having the character models and file assets from KH3, then they don't have to rework from scratch and they can simply reuse the same assets from KH3 for the next game and it seems we might get a new KH game every 2-3 years. I'm optimistic we might get an official announcement for the next new KH game(s) after the KH3: ReMind DLC sometime next year (perhaps KH Orchestra before E3 2020 and/or Tokyo Game Show 2020) and the next new title could come out by 2021/2022 (20th Anniversary and KHIV by either 2022/2023, cause so far the only thing Nomura is currently doing after KH3: ReMind DLC, is the FFVIII remake which is said to be divided into multiple parts.

Last edited:
Back