• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How do you make your cosplay costumes?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Simone

To be honest,I can not make them even after reading videos for many times.I admire those who make their costumes by themselves,size and quality could be guaranteed.However,I can not stop loving cosplay,and it always costs me plenty of money.

Meow Wow

Awards
If you're looking into getting into making cosplay costumes, start simple, then build up your skill. Many cosplayers that make good costumes had to start somewhere. What you see doesn't show the numerous failures they had. So work hard and you'll eventually be able to make your own god-tier costumes.

As for making costumes themselves, I'm not nessarally old enough to go to any Con but I like to make my own costumes for Halloween. One of them was a Shadow, to pull that off I bought a hat from Amazan for like $20(they put that same exact hat in Halloween stores the next year), then just decked out in black.

You don't need expensive costumes or clothing articles to cosplay, you can make a costume with pieces from your closet or even a Halloween costume. As long as you're having fun it really doesn't matter.
boy I rambled a bit there. Hope this helped at least

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
I started cosplaying by ordering my costume (Itachi Uchiha Akatsuki outfit) online. After I got to college, two years later, my wife wanted to start making my costumes and that's how we do it now. She makes her own patterns when she makes the outfits and usually if there's a prop to be made I'm the one who does it.

Simone

If you're looking into getting into making cosplay costumes, start simple, then build up your skill. Many cosplayers that make good costumes had to start somewhere. What you see doesn't show the numerous failures they had. So work hard and you'll eventually be able to make your own god-tier costumes.

As for making costumes themselves, I'm not nessarally old enough to go to any Con but I like to make my own costumes for Halloween. One of them was a Shadow, to pull that off I bought a hat from Amazan for like $20(they put that same exact hat in Halloween stores the next year), then just decked out in black.

You don't need expensive costumes or clothing articles to cosplay, you can make a costume with pieces from your closet or even a Halloween costume. As long as you're having fun it really doesn't matter.
boy I rambled a bit there. Hope this helped at least
Thank you for encouraging me.Buy a hat from an online store seems not so difficult,as there are always delicate difference between adults' head circumferences.However.purchasing costumes is more complex,size and quality ,sometimes even the color.
Now I also wonder about you age,I never heard that some one could be refuse by this kind of activities.

Simone

I started cosplaying by ordering my costume (Itachi Uchiha Akatsuki outfit) online. After I got to college, two years later, my wife wanted to start making my costumes and that's how we do it now. She makes her own patterns when she makes the outfits and usually if there's a prop to be made I'm the one who does it.
That's fantastic to have a person help you with it.Definitely,we could put something we want into it,if we make them by ourselves.It would be unique.But for me,it is hard and impossible,saving a lot of money for one is what I always do.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
That's fantastic to have a person help you with it.Definitely,we could put something we want into it,if we make them by ourselves.It would be unique.But for me,it is hard and impossible,saving a lot of money for one is what I always do.

There's definitely nothing wrong with that either! There are some fantastic cosplay creators out there that do commissions and their trade is definitely worth your time and money if they can make what you require! If not, there are a few good websites that exist that will have what you need and help you get your cosplay for con time. :D I misread your original post and thought you were asking how we get/got into cosplay though, didn't realize that you were wanting to get tips on cosplay.

Meow Wow

Awards
Buy a hat from an online store seems not so difficult,as there are always delicate difference between adults' head circumferences.
The hat I got is this one

It fits loose yet snug due to its knit design, and I've had it for around two years. The only issue I had were the antennas coming loose but that's just because of how recklessly I handle it.
Overall it's a good buy, cosplay or not. Although I will say, the picture does not do the hat justice, it's a little lighter in color irl.

Now I also wonder about you age,I never heard that some one could be refuse by this kind of activities.
It's less of actual age and more of the fact that I don't have a job yet. Therefore no car to go places and no money to support a hobby such as this.

Simone

There's definitely nothing wrong with that either! There are some fantastic cosplay creators out there that do commissions and their trade is definitely worth your time and money if they can make what you require! If not, there are a few good websites that exist that will have what you need and help you get your cosplay for con time. :D I misread your original post and thought you were asking how we get/got into cosplay though, didn't realize that you were wanting to get tips on cosplay.
It doesn't matter.Well,to ask for a costume from cosplay creator also cost a lot.I cannot afford that.This week, I found one from the internet ,the store sells many things ,but I couldn't judge the quality. I wonder if you could help me to have a look of it.The link is https://www.cosmanles.com/ Thank you so much for that.I hope it would be a good one for my next month party.

Simone

The hat I got is this one

It fits loose yet snug due to its knit design, and I've had it for around two years. The only issue I had were the antennas coming loose but that's just because of how recklessly I handle it.
Overall it's a good buy, cosplay or not. Although I will say, the picture does not do the hat justice, it's a little lighter in color irl.

It's less of actual age and more of the fact that I don't have a job yet. Therefore no car to go places and no money to support a hobby such as this.
Your hat looks really nice and it is true that cosplay always cost a lot of money.It is also hard to find stores sell costumes with reasonable price while the quality is also good.

neevacii

Awards
Choose your character

The starting point for any cosplay outfit is to pick your character and collect as many pictures as you can of their outfit, preferably from different angles. Depending on how crafty you are you may want to avoid anything that will require too much intricate detail.

Work out what you need

Take a look at your costume and work out what you’ll need for each element. Don’t forget to check your wardrobe to see if you already have something that closely matches your chosen outfit e.g. belts, buckles, boots etc. The easiest way to work out what you need is to make a list of each item and then what materials you’ll need to make this.

Download sewing patterns

Most costumes will require some form of sewing to create the finished outfit and if you’re creating your outfit from scratch then a sewing pattern will help to make your life a lot easier. Do a search online for sewing patterns that match your outfit e.g. if your character wears a corset then try to find a corset pattern that matches. An advantage of a sewing pattern is it will also tell you how much material you need and give you information for creating the right size.

Pick your materials

Depending on your chosen costume you’re likely to need a range of fabrics in order to create the look you want. Popular fabrics with cosplayers include Buckram, which can be used to make masks, hats and help add rigidity to costumes, Gala lining and 7000 duchess satin for creating your outfits and of course Worbla, Wonderflex and Fosshape thermoplastics, which can be used to mould armour, weaponry and many other items. When looking for materials, colour swatches are your friend as they’ll let you get an idea of the colour and material that will work for your costume.

Get the right tools

Nitrile gloves, safety goggles, epoxy glue, heat gun, hobby knives, glue gun and sewing machine, these are just some of the tools you may need to create the cosplay outfit of your dreams. For sculpting Buckram you need nothing more than a steam iron, multiple layers can also be bonded together to create a stiffer material that’s perfect for creating self-supporting shapes. And while a sewing machine can help to speed up the costume creation process it isn’t a necessity as you always have the option to hand sew your costumes.

It’s all about having fun

Remember that cosplay is all about having fun. Creating your own costume is part of this process and can be a fun activity working out how to make a certain part of your costume. From wings and armour to weapons and accessories you can really go to town on crafting a beautiful costume that’s custom made for you.
Kodi nox

Last edited:
Back