• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► How do you approach death?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeper

My best friend's grandfather is sick with Prostate Cancer. He's had it for a long time and he recently made one of his many turns for the worst.

Her grandmother also died from breast cancer 3 years ago. Though her death was caused by hospital neglect, and not the actual cancer itself. So she had to watch her grandma bloat up and suffer a horrible death, simply because someone was too lazy to do their job properly.

Unsurprisingly it is a very touchy subject that she tries to avoid thinking about entirely. Her family also sees fit to treat her like a child and leave her out of the loop when situations like this arise. If she waits, then she wont find out until a week before her grandfather dies.

My friend has been hearing people whisper about her grandfather and overhearing bits and pieces of the situation, but nothing solid enough to make an assumption as huge as impending death. However what she has been hearing implies that this is the case.

So, she wants to confront her parents about it, but really has no idea how to approach the subject. See, she's kind of slow and her family treats her like a moron, only she's not. It just takes her a bit more time to put what she has together. So approaching a subject like this is bound to have repercussions in the form of her getting yelled at and crying on the phone to me for 4 hours. I'd very much like to avoid that.

Unfortunately I am emotionally retarded, and lack what is tact in situations that require it. In my family, if you can't read between the lines, then the page remains blank. I have never had to ask anyone about something so serious.

I need to know how to she can approach the subject in a conversation, how she can avoid being yelled at, and if the bomb is dropped, how should I deal with her? I'm a terrible shoulder to cry on, as I respond to my own sadness with anger or by ignoring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back