• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How did Riku take Sora's Keyblade in KH?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevVentus

This interesting scene has become confusing for me after finding out that there are many Keyblade wielders

During KH it was implied that Riku was the true Keyblade master and that it went to Sora only because Riku had turned to darkness at the time.

But then we find out that not only are their more keyblade users, but the reason Riku was meant to have one is because Terra performed the inheritance ceremony.

So why, if Riku turned to darkness, would his keyblade (inherited by Terra) be passed onto Sora (who had Ven's heart at the time)?

And why is it in the Kingdom Key form for Sora? And for Riku?

How could Riku have stolen Sora's Keyblade when it was never his to begin with (or was it??)

Is this somewhat of a retcon?

Awards
I think it's that Riku's heart weakened, and the keyblade found it unfit then, so it went to the next fitting heart- Sora's. I think it was supposed to be Riku's, but it became Sora's permanently later, and Riku went on the journey to get his own. The one they were passing around in KH1 was the same one as the other, the Kingdom Key.

I'm probably off somewhere, though.

JustSnilloc

Okay, some facts to start this off...

- The Kingdom Key was originally meant for Riku
- Darkness used the wrong way damages the heart
- Keyblades choose their owners

So why, if Riku turned to darkness, would his keyblade (inherited by Terra) be passed onto Sora (who had Ven's heart at the time)?

Ven's Heart being inside Sora is irrelevant here, and Riku didn't inherit that Keyblade... The Keyblade inheritance ceremony is kind of like lighting a beacon in the Keyblade Realm (totally making this up, but go with it) for the Keyblade to say "Oh hey, there's a particularly strong heart"... The Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony is only a recommendation, not an actual inheritance - that part is up to the keyblade

SO, while the Kingdom Key was originally going to pick Riku, it found that he was weak and gave in to the darkness... Sora resisted the darkness and the keyblade chose him as the better suited one to wield it....... He was probably chosen because he was right next to Riku when it happened

How could Riku have stolen Sora's Keyblade when it was never his to begin with (or was it??)

It was originally meant for Riku, yes. When the Kingdom Key took notice that Riku survived the darkness and even became stronger it went back to whom it originally chose... However when Sora's Heart far outshined Riku's it went back to Sora permanently

----

Also, when the Way to Dawn chose Riku, it (the WtD) had a preference of someone like Riku, so it chose him.... Keyblades have minds of their own bro

(probably not as clear as it could be, but I'll clear up whatever, just ask)

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
When one goes through the inheritance ceremony you don't the person's who performed it on you Keyblade, you get your own. The Keyblade doesn't actually care how much Darkness or Light are in a person's heart, it's primary concern is the strength of heart.

When Sora had tried to reach for Riku on DI while he was being engulfed by Darkness there was a Light and I think that was described as the Light in Riku's heart and that's when Sora pulled the Keyblade from him. Sora accidentally "stole" Riku's Keyblade.

The KK is a bit unusual considering it's not "personalied" like other Keyblades but that's because it's supposed to represent Disney. It's the Kingdom Key and has a hidden Mickey for a Key chain.

KevVentus

So what is the distinction between the Kingdom Key and all others? Why does every other Keyblade user have a personalized Keyblade while Sora uses the "true" form?

As for the Way to Dawn, I thought Riku created it from memories (like most Keyblades)?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
This interesting scene has become confusing for me after finding out that there are many Keyblade wielders

During KH it was implied that Riku was the true Keyblade master and that it went to Sora only because Riku had turned to darkness at the time.

'Master' is the wrong term to use here. The Keyblade doesn't care what your alignment is. Light or darkness is completely irrelevant so long as your heart is strong. The reason Sora was able to obtain the Kingdom Key at the beginning of KH1 was because he touched Riku's light. The darkness surrounding Riku as Sora was struggling to reach out to him right before he disappeared was Riku's darkness, and the flash of light that followed was his light. By touching it, Sora was able to gain temporary "ownership" of the Keyblade.

But then we find out that not only are their more keyblade users, but the reason Riku was meant to have one is because Terra performed the inheritance ceremony.

And because his heart is strong~

See above.

It's just aesthetics.

It's not really stealing.

Is this somewhat of a retcon?

No.

KevVentus

I have a hard time accepting that it's just aesthetics though... it's always described as being the true form of the Keyblade

So why does SORA get the true form? What singles him out?

Unless everyone starts with the Kingdom Key and then they make their own key chains

Thanks for clearing up the Sora-Riku connection. Now I want to discuss the ambiguity of the kingdom key

JustSnilloc

So what is the distinction between the Kingdom Key and all others? Why does every other Keyblade user have a personalized Keyblade while Sora uses the "true" form?

As for the Way to Dawn, I thought Riku created it from memories (like most Keyblades)?

The Kingdom Key is it's true form and the Way to Dawn is in it's true form, and Mickey's Star Seeker is in it's true form, etc, etc, ETC ><

Keyblades have "true forms" keyCHAINS can alter that

I have a hard time accepting that it's just aesthetics though... it's always described as being the true form of the Keyblade

Unless everyone starts with the Kingdom Key and then they make their own key chains

No, read the above

Ruran

Awards

Thanks for clearing up the Sora-Riku connection. Now I want to discuss the ambiguity of the kingdom key

Nothing singles him out. Every Keyblade has it's own unique form, the KK is just the signature Keyblade so it represents Disney. Although I think it was mentioned once that the Keyblade was forged between both Sora and Riku so that's something to ponder on.

KevVentus

So if the Kingdom Key is just like any other Keyblade, why is it on the X-Blade? And how did Mickey know he needed the Kingdom Key D to seal Kingdom Hearts?

I'm slowly developing my own theory on the matter but I want to get everyone's thoughts

EDIT: If Keyblades choose their masters, then why does Master Xehanort refer to them as "man made" counterparts to Kingdom Hearts?

Last edited:

JustSnilloc

So if the Kingdom Key is just like any other Keyblade, why is it on the X-Blade? And how did Mickey know he needed the Kingdom Key D to seal Kingdom Hearts?

I'm slowly developing my own theory on the matter but I want to get everyone's thoughts

EDIT: If Keyblades choose their masters, then why does Master Xehanort refer to them as "man made" counterparts to Kingdom Hearts?

Why is it part of the X-Blade? Idk. Why did Mickey need the Kingdom Key D? Because he needed a keyblade from the RoD to lock that side of Kingdom Hearts

Also, where did he say that?

Last edited:

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Why is it part of the X-Blade? Idk. Why did Mickey need the Kingdom Key D? Because he needed a keyblade from the RoD to lock that side of Kingdom Hearts

Also, where did he say that?

In the reports in Birth By Sleep he referred to Keyblades as man made counterparts of Kingdom Hearts.

Also, we don't know enough about the X-blade to know why the Kingdom Key is a part of it. I assume it has relevance, but that has not been stated yet.

JustSnilloc

Okay, so maybe (and this is just theoretical mind you) That keyblades are forged from hearts... How? I have no idea, Xehanort said that they have been "said to be man-made" that would explain how Keyblades choose and think...

As to what makes the X-Blade special, it seems to be forged by Kingdom Hearts itself

idk... Keyblades are the biggest mystery of them all in this series

EDIT: it's getting late, my brain's fried... if my grammar doesn't make since or my point doesn't sound as well put together as usual, that's why - I'll probably get on tomorrow to see if anything else has been asked, or asked of what I posted

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
How come we see TAV pick up both Kingdom keys and the way to dawn in the Keyblade Graveyard. Are these 3 significant special other than them being Sora,Riku, and Mickey's keyblades?

KevVentus

I assume you're referring to the KH2 Final Mix secret ending? My only answer is that the secret endings aren't canon and are just teasers

I agree, Keyblades are one of the biggest mystery. I wish they would be explained more... instead Birth By Sleep made them more complicated...

I would say I hope they're touched on in 3D, but it seems like Nomura's focusing more on the many Xehanort's

But I can still hope... they are taking a Mark of Mastery exam after all. Surely they'd learn a thing or two about Keyblades?

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
I assume you're referring to the KH2 Final Mix secret ending? My only answer is that the secret endings aren't canon and are just teasers
Well, no it's in the opening of BBS so it's technically not a secret ending(it was in KH2). Secret endings are not canonical? What, they have always been filled with info. They may not be fully witnessed in parts of the game but sometimes they'll show scenes. They are apart of the story.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
How come we see TAV pick up both Kingdom keys and the way to dawn in the Keyblade Graveyard. Are these 3 significant special other than them being Sora,Riku, and Mickey's keyblades?

That was just a trailer for symbolism, that scene never actually happened.

Most secret endings are canon.

As for the X-Blade/Kingdom Key comparison, I believe that there lies a similarity between the two keyblades, specifically the ways in which they were created.

Ruran

Awards

Because symbolism. Each Keyblade loosely represents the state each ends up in by the end of BbS. Like I think it was Aqua that picked up the KKD, the Keyblade from the RoD and she ended up in the RoD. I don't remember what the other Keyblades symbolized the that video though, my brain is in a meh state right now. D;

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Because symbolism. Each Keyblade loosely represents the state each ends up in by the end of BbS. Like I think it was Aqua that picked up the KKD, the Keyblade from the RoD and she ended up in the RoD. I don't remember what the other Keyblades symbolized the that video though, my brain is in a meh state right now. D;
Ven grabs TWTD and Terra scoops the Kingdom Key.
That was just a trailer for symbolism, that scene never actually happened.
That part may not have happened, but the whole other scene from the secret ending does happen.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards

KKD - Realm of Darkness
WtD - Realm of In-between (although WtD isn't a keyblade from the RoN)
KK - Realm of Light

Aqua picks up the KKD, ends up in the RoD. Ven picks up WtD, ends up in the RoN. Terra picks up KK, ends up in the RoL.

That part may not have happened, but the whole other scene from the secret ending does happen.

Derp I know that :v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back