• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► Homosexuality in Disney?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Since we've seen the two moms in Good Luck Charlie, I was wondering if Disney will have any plans to add more homosexuality in their shows or movies. It wouldn't be a bad idea since the Good Luck Charlie episode turned out fine.

For those who have not seen the same-sex Good Luck Charlie couple, here's the video right here:
[video=youtube;KoEBdCsrOVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoEBdCsrOVs[/video]

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
While it was a great move on Disney's part to do that for Good Luck Charlie (which is still a personal favorite of mine), I'm skeptical of seeing them do it again, let alone as anything more significant than a one episode-off character(s). I mean, look at how many decades it took for Disney to do an feminist kind of Princess, and she was white - let alone for them to do diverse-centric films (most of which revolved around PoC characters being turned into animals).

Granted, we live in a wonderful time now were there's a general outcry for representation in forms of media and people are actually taking notice, but do I expect to see Disney expand their LGBT+ roster of representation? No, especially not in roles they would truly deserve, like main roles. Honestly, I'd actually expect Dreamworks to do something of that nature with their current/future properties tbh.

Plus, Disney seems to have their priorities all out of wack right now regarding what they think the public wants so I doubt this is even the smallest of concerns on their radar.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
While it was a great move on Disney's part to do that for Good Luck Charlie (which is still a personal favorite of mine), I'm skeptical of seeing them do it again, let alone as anything more significant than a one episode-off character(s). I mean, look at how many decades it took for Disney to do an feminist kind of Princess, and she was white - let alone for them to do diverse-centric films (most of which revolved around PoC characters being turned into animals).

Granted, we live in a wonderful time now were there's a general outcry for representation in forms of media and people are actually taking notice, but do I expect to see Disney expand their LGBT+ roster of representation? No, especially not in roles they would truly deserve, like main roles. Honestly, I'd actually expect Dreamworks to do something of that nature with their current/future properties tbh.

Plus, Disney seems to have their priorities all out of wack right now regarding what they think the public wants so I doubt this is even the smallest of concerns on their radar.
I can see Dreamworks doing this kind of stuff in their movies, but Disney had already done it, so it's a bit more believable for them to do it more than Dreamworks, but I still like to see how they pull it off. Likewise, I would want to see how Disney would pull this off too.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I can see Dreamworks doing this kind of stuff in their movies, but Disney had already done it, so it's a bit more believable for them to do it more than Dreamworks, but I still like to see how they pull it off. Likewise, I would want to see how Disney would pull this off too.

What I meant by Dreamworks doing it is by having an LGBT+ character as one of the main characters, not a side/one-off character that isn't real representation. Hence, while I love what Disney did with Good Luck Charlie, I still don't consider real representation since it was one-off characters you never see again. Plus, Dreamworks is a lot more meta, with the times, etc. That's not saying I wouldn't love to see Disney do some real representation, but I just cannot see it happening.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
What I meant by Dreamworks doing it is by having an LGBT+ character as one of the main characters, not a side/one-off character that isn't real representation. Hence, while I love what Disney did with Good Luck Charlie, I still don't consider real representation since it was one-off characters you never see again. Plus, Dreamworks is a lot more meta, with the times, etc. That's not saying I wouldn't love to see Disney do some real representation, but I just cannot see it happening.
I can see an LGBT main character already in any future Dreamworks movies... too bad they won't get a good chance thanks to overprotective parents XD.

Last edited:

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
i mean, they may do something like paranorman, where a supporting character is revealed as homosexual in an off-handed way at some point (which already sparked a controversy for laika lol), but i'm not optimistic about the chances of a gay or even "questionable" protagonist any time soon.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think there is a good chance we may get more LGTB representation in Disney. Korrasami becoming canon in LoK gives me some hope that companies may start to become more bolder and stop worrying about reactions from close-minded parents. The lesbian couple from Good Luck Charlie was a great first step

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Disney isn't the most progressive company out there. They are extremely family-oriented and only take a progressive stance on something if they feel it will benefit the image of the company.

Something like the moms on Good Luck Charlie was probably one of the few exceptions they've made, but then you have Disney that does stuff like this that shows they aren't exactly ready to make this kind of step in their work. (Here is the full storyboard)

I would certainly love it if Disney would allow same-sex representation in their work because everybody deserves representation in media but. I would die if there was a same-sex couple in one of their animated series or films that wasn't hinted at or just in the background, but I don't see Disney having the guts to do it.

I can see an LGBT main character already in any future Dreamworks movies... too bad they won't get a good chance thanks to overprotective parents XD.

It's a good thing Dreamworks tends to not care about the parents!

Awards
[video=youtube;a5od0hNYlwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5od0hNYlwk[/video]

Mulan in Once Upon a Time is bi. I was half happy with the choice, but it's kinda stereotyping lesbians into being more masculine like Mulan. However, this was just hinted at. She is also bi, not full lesbian. I think the day when Disney starts having two Princesses or Princes, or puts gay characters in every once in awhile, or shows two guys just walking around in the background holding hands... well, that's still very far off. I am pleased that Once Upon a Time is starting to get much more liberal as far as what it shows and says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back