• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► HOMEWORK HELP THREAD!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
Tetsuya Nomura
Does anybody know where I can find info (family, career, education, anything) about Tetuya Nomura? I get to do him for a research project. :DDD

I was going to do Hikki, but I thought Tetsuya Nomura was a much more intresting topic. (not that hikki's not cool or anything, she's awesome!)

Anything would be greatly apprciated. :)

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Something like that, yes.

If you can help, I just don't understand how to go about doing those problems. I'll put an example:

Karen and Steve each have a sibling with sickle-cell disease. Neither Karen, Steve, nor any of their parents has the disease, and none of them has been tested to reveal sickle-cell trait. Based on this incomplete information, calculate the probability that if this couple should have another child, the child will have sickle-cell anemia.

I don't understand how to go about these problems. I understand the theory part, but the problem part is giving me trouble.

First thing you want to do is draw a rudimentary family tree, highlighting the people who have the genome/sickness/etc the problem wants you to focus on. Helps out a lot. With the given information I'd assume that sickle-cell disease is determined by a recessive gene, but I'm kinda rusty on my genetics so I might be off the mark here. :x

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
First thing you want to do is draw a rudimentary family tree, highlighting the people who have the genome/sickness/etc the problem wants you to focus on. Helps out a lot. With the given information I'd assume that sickle-cell disease is determined by a recessive gene, but I'm kinda rusty on my genetics so I might be off the mark here. :x

hey you helped me out right now with my biology homework. thank you.

The Fishman

Keyblade Master

Thanks man, I'm actually getting the hang of these problems. My final is next week and there's going to be problems like this, so I'm doing a lot of these problems and actually getting some right. But what you said really does help because I didn't think of drawing pedigrees so that really helped, and I believe sickle-cell disease is determined by a recessive gene. Most genetic sicknesses are caused by a recessive allele, except for Huntington's disease off the top of my head. Thanks again.

AxelRoxasFan223

Website
www.facebook.com
You could kinda say this is homework but actually I need help on topic ideas for satire xD

Im suppose to do a creative project with satire/comedy as a topic (id prefer satire though) and ive chosen Photo manipulation/editing as a media but I cant think of any satire topics xD ;A;

Im looking for mostly satires in literature though :eek:

AxelRoxasFan223

Website
www.facebook.com
hey you helped me out right now with my biology homework. thank you.
love your signature xD;;
Something like that, yes.

If you can help, I just don't understand how to go about doing those problems. I'll put an example:

Karen and Steve each have a sibling with sickle-cell disease. Neither Karen, Steve, nor any of their parents has the disease, and none of them has been tested to reveal sickle-cell trait. Based on this incomplete information, calculate the probability that if this couple should have another child, the child will have sickle-cell anemia.

I don't understand how to go about these problems. I understand the theory part, but the problem part is giving me trouble.
Pedigree charts help alot and as for probablities you could always try Punnet Squares, at least thats how I do it xD And its also important to know wether its a sex-linked gene or not, in this case, sickle-cell disease is a sex-linked gene meaning you use the X and Y.

Thats all i know xD; ;~;

T

the barfman

Fck Fck Fck Fck!!!!! I'm going to panic if I dont get the answer to 75+75!!!!

>=( s1smackdown

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Okay so I have a test next week on logarithms.

My teacher said this would be the hardest kind of question on the test, and I sort of understood where he went with in class, but now at home I don't understand wtf he did.

He's a very fast teacher and it pisses me off because he's so fast most of the class has very bad grades xD

FUCKING HATE MATH

Anyway...

2^(x+1) = 5^(1-2x)

So he said we should take the natural logarithm of both sides.

so ln (2^(x+1)) = ln (5^(1-2x))

Well we can remove those exponents to the outside, so...

(x+1) ln (2) = (1-2x) ln (5)

Now I don't understand wtf he did.

He wrote on the board:

ln (2) x + ln (2) = ln (5) - 2 ln (5) x

I figured maybe he switched the terms around:
ln (2) (x+1) = ln (5) (1-2x)

And then got:
ln 2x + 2 = ln 5 -10x

But....wtf how did he get 2 ln (5) x??

Pedigree charts and Punnet Squares :D

Basically, sickle-cell is a recessive trait, correct?

So we can either have
Homozygous dominant = No sickle cell
Heterozygous dominant = No sickle cell (carrier of the disease)
Homozygous recessive = Has sickle cell disease

Let's call a healthy allele "S", and an allele for sickle cell "s".

So you have:
SS = No sickle cell
Ss = No sickle cell (but carries the recessive allele for the disease)
ss = Has sickle cell disease (carries both recessive alleles)

Let's look at Karen and Steve's parents first.

Since the case is the same for both families (two children, one with sickle cell, one healthy child, and two healthy parents), we'll just refer to one.

These are all possible genotype combinations for two parents, right?

SS - SS
SS - Ss
SS - ss
Ss - ss
ss - ss
Ss - Ss

Let's look at each option.

SS - SS <- Wrong. This is not possible because neither parent has the sickle cell allele, so it would make it impossible for their children to have sickle cell. One of them does.
SS - Ss <- Wrong. This is not possible. Although one parent has a sickle-cell allele, all offspring combinations would lead to "SS" or "Ss", where no children would contract sickle cell. One of the children has the disease.
SS - ss <- Wrong. This is not possible. None of the parents contracted the disease, so neither of them can have "ss". This would also lead to children that do not have the disease, and one of them does.
Ss - ss <- Wrong. This is not possible. Although the offspring could end up having or not having the disease to match the problem, none of the parents contracted the disease, so neither of them can have "ss".
ss - ss <- Wrong. This is not possible. Both parents and offspring would in this case all have sickle cell disease, and that's not the case.
Ss - Ss <- Correct. This fits perfectly. Both parents are carriers for the disease, yet they do not have it themselves. They pass sickle cell on to one of their children, but not on to Karen (or in the other family's case, Steve).

So we can safely assume that the parents of both families are Ss and Ss.

This means there's a:
25% chance of their offspring being healthy homozygous dominant (SS)
50% chance of their offspring being healthy heterozygous dominant carrier for sickle cell disease (Ss)
25% chance of their offspring having sickle cell disease (ss)

And its also important to know wether its a sex-linked gene or not, in this case, sickle-cell disease is a sex-linked gene meaning you use the X and Y.

It's sex-linked? Are you sure? Hmm....

That screws up my work XD

Last edited:

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
2^(x+1) = 5^(1-2x)

So he said we should take the natural logarithm of both sides.

so ln (2^(x+1)) = ln (5^(1-2x))

Well we can remove those exponents to the outside, so...

(x+1) ln (2) = (1-2x) ln (5)

Now I don't understand wtf he did.

He wrote on the board:

ln (2) x + ln (2) = ln (5) - 2 ln (5) x

I figured maybe he switched the terms around:
ln (2) (x+1) = ln (5) (1-2x)

And then got:
ln 2x + 2 = ln 5 -10x

Oh logs <3 It makes me miss math!

Anyways, he used distribution.

ln(2) x (x+1) = ln(2)x+ln(2)
ln(2) times x = ln(2)x
ln(2) times 1 = ln(2)

ln(5) x (1-2x) = ln(5) - 2ln(5)x
ln(5) times 1 = ln(5)
ln(5) times -2x = -2ln(5)x

you could also write -ln(5)2x or -2xln(5) but typically for logs you put the constant first.

What you thought he did doesn't work. If you switch the terms around and try multiplying ln(2) by (x+1) you can't do it to just the 2. You have to multiply the whole term ln(2). Does that make sense?

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
( x+1) ln (2) = (1-2 x) ln (5)
xln (2) +ln (2) =ln (5) - 2 xln (5)

Personally, I like my lns at the end of a term.

Like stephaknee said, your teacher used distribution here. stephaknee nailed the explanation of it, so I won't repeat it.

If you're having trouble evaluating expressions with logarithms, just try to think of them as constants / numbers (assuming it's the log of a number, and not a variable), because that's all they are. Don't get mixed up in the ln part, that's just an operation (like addition, multiplication, derivation, etc).

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
You could kinda say this is homework but actually I need help on topic ideas for satire xD

Im suppose to do a creative project with satire/comedy as a topic (id prefer satire though) and ive chosen Photo manipulation/editing as a media but I cant think of any satire topics xD ;A;

Im looking for mostly satires in literature though :eek:

For photo manipulation you could point out how much distortion we use to make people more "attractive". I would make a collage of a woman with very exagerrated features.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
ln(5) x (1-2x) = ln(5) - 2ln(5)x
ln(5) times 1 = ln(5)
ln(5) times -2x = -2ln(5)x
Why is it -2ln(5)x and not ln(-10)x or something like that (since if you're doing ln(5) times -2x.....5 times -2x is just -10x...)? That's what I'm not understanding. Because it seems that that logic was followed for every term up until that 2ln(5)x...I'm not sure why the method changed right there?

Damn it I need to get better at this.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
Why is it -2ln(5)x and not ln(-10)x or something like that (since if you're doing ln(5) times -2x.....5 times -2x is just -10x...)? That's what I'm not understanding. Because it seems that that logic was followed for every term up until that 2ln(5)x...I'm not sure why the method changed right there?

Damn it I need to get better at this.
ln5 is a number. (3)(2)(1) is three number multiplied together. (pi)(e)(ln2) are three numbers multiplied together.

ln2 * 5 != ln(2*5)

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
So I started a new job recently, and they decided to give me a fuckton of hours. I can't tell them I can't do it, because I need to make a good impression for the first three months.

Unfortunately, I also have an oral presentation due on Monday and I haven't started yet. So I just need a little help finding sources, because I don't have the time to dedicate a day to do this.

I need whatever you guys have got on 'Why the World WILL End in 2012'.

I appreciate it, guys.

very differentiable
Awards
Stooge, there's only one possible scenario i can think of, solar flare. Nasa has a pretty detailed page on it: Solar Storm Warning - NASA Science

Like mentioned before, you can multiply logs as well as any number. It is inaccurately to say k*Log(x)=Log(k*x), instead the correct equivalence is Log(x^k), which is a rather important difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back