• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Homeschooling to Public School

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Inuyashigan

I've been public and private schooled all my life. Just this year I decided to take homeschooling. Basically, I attend a high school that offers its courses in correspondance, and online, and the teachers grade all your work for you. But you do it at home, and at your own pace.

That's the problem. I seem to not be very disciplined, because without a teacher at school yelling at me to do my work, I tend to slack off, or distract myself, or just lie and say I did it when I didn't. I already had to get an extension because I didn't finish my credits in time, and I just need help.

What are some tips to keep me focused, organized, and help me finish my course materials on time? I have until December now, to finish my English credit, and my Health credit.

Here's the school I attend Keystone High School, Online High School, Online High School Diploma

My goals for the future is that when I catch up on my homeschooling, I want to go back to Public School and get more involved in extra curricular, like drama and theater, music, etc. But I can't do any of that until I'm caught up in school, and I just need help on trying to discipline myself.

It's hard to get yourself to do schoolwork when you're in a room with a PS3, Wii, Xbox360, TV, Cable, Internet-capable computer, and a bed. lol.

You see, what happened was, I started my homeschooling mid-sophomore year. Because I did that, Keystone, since you can't enter "mid-way" into a course, required me to start the credit course ALL OVER, and so, I started my sophomore year over again, in mid-year. I never finished that sophomore year (it was due this summer) and I had it extended to December, because, well, I couldn't discipline myself to do the work. Until I finish my work, I will never get out of this cycle, because if I go back to public school without these credits done, THEY will make me start over sophomore year. I'm supposed to be a junior this year but I need to finish my credits before I can go back to school. Can anyone help me please?

PS: I'm not an idiot. It's simply much harder to get work done when you're used to teachers telling you to do it all your life, and having an agenda, homework, schedules, and due dates, and in this system, you go at your own pace and have to plan everything out yourself. I get all A's in my classes, and am in all advanced, and plan to take Pre-AP for my junior year. So don't be all "oh lulz diz idiut".

Thanks.

BTW: Tips on making friends at school is unneeded, but would be nice.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
Take 2 days out of the week, select a time which you are comfortable to do your work, and just work/study/whatever. Then, when you are bored and don't want to play video games or whatever, just pick up some work and turn on the TV and do your work while you watch TV. That was my method for home schooling. I took it for the 2nd semester of my freshmen year. It made things a lot easier. I mean, I'm really lazy and tend to procrastinate a lot when it comes to my schoolwork and doing that just made things less complicated. For example, I would do work for about 2-3 hours on Wednesday at midnight or friday at 2 a.m. But I always did it on Wednesday and Friday. But the thing is that you have to be consistant for those two days everyweek. But for you, you better make it 3 days.

It's just easier to just make it more convenient for you to do it when you want, rather than having a set schedule everyday.

Shit, I don't. But that's how I did it.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
...give yourself a cookie for each assignment you finish? or a donut, or some chocolate, or whatever.

he alreayd has what you should do down.

I cant give you anything cause all my life i was in public school. I think if you really need tips on how to stay focus and your 17 then home schooling might not be the best for you. The only difference now is you have alot more freedom. If your so tempted to play video games and internet stuff then might want to do something else. Just do what violent said and you will look forward to your rewards.

Athletics Legend

*The Future Athlete*
Well, i got to a private school which is one the top sporting and academic schools in NSW...do your work in periods of time...like i mean, on weekdays you might do 4 hours while on wekends you do 2 hours

I

Inuyashigan

I think if you really need tips on how to stay focus and your 17 then home schooling might not be the best for you.

I realize that, but I can't go back to public school until I finish those credits, or
1.) They will transfer all incoming sophomores/freshman (that would include me if I don't finish my credits) to the new high school down the street. Yuck.
2.) I will have to start the credit all over again....again

So yea, basically things like Redemption posted, because I need studying techniques.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
I realize that, but I can't go back to public school until I finish those credits, or
1.) They will transfer all incoming sophomores/freshman (that would include me if I don't finish my credits) to the new high school down the street. Yuck.
2.) I will have to start the credit all over again....again

So yea, basically things like Redemption posted, because I need studying techniques.

wait your 17 and a sophmore/freshman? Is this high school or college?

If you need tips just when you get up in the day think about school first. Pick like a few days like Redemption said but try to start like a few hours after you wake up so you dont get distracted.

I

Inuyashigan

wait your 17 and a sophmore/freshman? Is this high school or college?

No. I'm supposed to be a junior this year (07-08) however I need to finish some sophomore credits in order to be a "complete" junior.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
ohhhhh ok cause i was thinking you failed a class or something and got held back a year. Dang you only have two classes and your 17 and not a junior yet. You better hurry up and study or you wont graduate on time. good luck though.

Mystlord

Give all your consoles, electronic stuff, etc. to your parents, and have your parents put a password lock on your computer. If you need your computer to do work, then have your parents ban every site except for the ones you need. Have your parents act as your teacher. Have them set deadlines, make your own schedule, and tell them no matter how much you beg, don't let them give up your consoles. Basically, have your parents become your teachers. No reward systems, no nothing. If you don't finish by the deadlines, have some sort of punishment in store like no dinner or something like that. Remember that fear is always a better motivator than greed. Use that creed to set up a good system. Good luck!

I

Inuyashigan

lol omfg wtf no dinner?
I'll take your advice Mystlord and tone it down a tiiiiiiiny bit. lol.

I've done a little in that direction.
Instead of doing homework in my room on my computer with a bunch of entertainment media like games etc....I've set up a homework studio in another room, and my mom gave me permission to use her laptop, and I have my own desk and everything, and it's in a brighter lit room with less distractions. Maybe that will help??

Child_of_Light

I've been homeschooled all my life. It's not that difficult to keep up in classes as long as you get the work done. The way I've been doing it recently is, do a section of my school, and then take a 5-10 minute break to do something else. If you have a book you've been wanting to read, read a paragraph and get back to school. It'll seem to pass much more quickly if you don't try to do it all at once. Or, you could just start early in the morning, and keep in mind that the faster you do it, the more time you'll have to play video games or whatever. Both ways work great for me!

XigbarGun!

Make it more fun, if you are doing, say, a project on Shakespears Midsummer Night's Dream, go see that! Over here in the UK he have some people who do Modern versions of it, so see if there is some in the US like that! Go on trips more! Make a video instead of write, as long as you give them a transcript when you are done you should be fine! Just make it more fun, but do an hour of work, then do an hour of play, repeat as needed.
=]

ViVi94

Trying to escape the land of idiots and retards
hmm... Do something fun for half an hour (Set a REALLY annoying alarm colck for it) then when the timer goes off, do work, then so on, soon, the stupid alarm clock will annoy you so much, you'll do your work just so you don't have to hear it anymore, lol. But yea, switch off, listen to music while you do it, that kind of thing, make it enjoyable (And lucky you! I would kill to be homeschooled.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back