• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Here is why tabata (in my opinion) is a better director then Nomura

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Keyblade07

Both are great directors Even tho both didn’t please the fans with their latest installment... however as much as I love Nomura (been a fan for long time) his story telling is...not the best, the problem with Nomura here is he makes you wait 10 years (yea ok sometimes less lol) and when he finally delivers the game you barely understand anything from the story... and when you finally managed to understand like 30% percent of what is going on, he goes and adds more confusion and more questions that don’t get answered, Nomura is a great character designer I can see why his games are popular (yea probably this is the biggest reason) but as far as making a game with a decent plot... he fails at that, I can agree that kh2 plus khbbs (and maybe maaaayyyybe kh1) had a great story with less confusion they were easy to understand after couple of months xD but anyway I digress, tabata on the other hand may have not made the perfect game when he took the project of ffxv but overall the game wasn’t bad I think what gave it the backlash was the overhype the fans have been building all these years which yet again Nomura’s fault for taking his sweet time making the game, I honestly enjoyed ffxv it was a sweet ride “no bun intended” the game had everything really it wasn’t perfect and I can assure you if tabata had his sweet time with the game it would have been one of the best if the game wasn’t rushed

Not only is Nomura is a great character designer but the characters he makes have an absolute breathtaking characters with fun personalities that you won’t get bored of, xehanort was one of the best villains desgins with a great motivation, but then kh3 ruined that, xehanort goal was to balance the light and darkness but kh3 made him the secretly Good guy that wants to eradicate the darkness... (still cool a villain) another point of why I think Nomura is not that great at making a decent story without changing the plot or writing a confusing story,

Now I’m not attacking Nomura I enjoy everything he makes no matter how messy it is but it was unfair that many people blame tabata for ffxv but praise Nomura when his story telling is mind cluster lol

I enjoyed ffxv more then kh3 honest truth those both are my fav franchises and no one is better then the other but ffxv honestly did better job then kh3, ffxv was a one game one story and a story that is easy to understand, kh3 was a sequel to 7 games... and the story is still confusing:/

i think both did a wonderful job but tabata deserves some of the recognition that Nomura Gets,

Thank you for reading^^/

Edit: oh yea totally forgot tabata did ff crisis core, that game was soo Good!

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Tabitha did Crisis Core. Should've just had him direct FF7R and let Nomura keep XV.

What a weirdly unnecessary switch around.

D

Deleted member 246005

Tabata had the harder job to me. He had to inherit a troubled production and meet an existing deadline. So i just feel more lenient to him than Nomura.

In some ways it might have been better if they just canceled XV but there's a lot of creative pride on the line. Plus we weren't privy to the behind the scenes so its hard to say whose the real victim and the villian in this scenario.

Fans can be pretty biased and I'm no different.

Plotwise both are pretty weak and confusing but FFxv had stronger characters that felt more fresh. Which makes me worried about Verum Rex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree, the buildup to FFXV is part of the reason some hate it so much. Thankfully I didn't pay attention to it until it released. I don't follow the FF projects as closely as KH sequels because each installment is a whole new world / story with FF. I suppose if I'd paid super-close attention to all the promotion (back before it was changed) I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did either... I'm not saying the game was perfect by any means, but I loved XV and thought it was pretty amazing, personally... I wish I could access all the DLC they made for it, too.

XV > KH3 for me, too. But I do like KH3.

Foxycian

Awards
Oh hope I didn’t miss on this thread I really want to say a piece of my mind, both r Good directors but tabata was better cause I actually understand the story and he doesn’t take many years to finish a game, meanwhile Nomura takes 13 (no pun intended) years and I can barely understand anything.

Awards
Yeah FFXV was a very understandable story, but it was also an extremely incomplete story.

However, you can’t compare a FF game to a KH game. Each installment of FF is a new story with new characters. KH is a story that evolves with each sequel. We don’t know what kind of storyteller Tabata would be for a series that is a continuation of itself. He’s only directed standalone titles, so it’s kinda unfair to compare the two in that matter.

I honestly don’t believe FFXV would’ve been a bad game if Nomura stayed on as director. The original concept when it was Versus XIII was very interesting.

By the way. you’re really gonna claim KH1 is more confusing than KH2???

Veevee

Awards
Nomura has creative character designs, is a good game designer and has cool ideas, but he would need someone to actually stop him now and then and translate these ideas properly. The latest installments of KH were really overloaded with a bunch of concepts that are either hardly explained, don't properly match with each other or are rendered obsolete / overwritten quickly. Most of my friends told me, when asked what they thought about KH, they just fell into some kind of apathetic stance considering the writing because it was either vague or didn't make sense. One friend said she had a lot of fun, but was constantly leaning back, thinking "yeah, suuuuure, whatever, it looks good at least" when something inexplicable on the KG happened again. The story is a mess, not because it is so complex, but because the presentation is rather poor and unnecessarily convoluted. You shouldn't have to read Ultimanias, Wikis or Word of God interviews to understand the BASIC story of the game because the game fails to explain it properly.

That said, Xehanort is one of the shitties villains I've ever seen because his motivations constantly changed. In BBS he wanted to recreate the keyblade war out of curiousity, then it's about getting young again or balancing light and darkness and suddenly he wanted to save the world ... from what? The destruction HE brought upon it? The world was fine until he interfered! And he's played as this super smart guy who planned everything everywhere along the way .. while he doesn't exactly outsmart the protagonists, they just play idiot ball so much that it hurts (looking at you, BBS).

FFXV is a different mess, but still a mess. Some plot points that felt irrelevant were highlighted a lot (e.g. that Prompto was a Nif, if I remember correctly? I don't recall it very well because it felt so random to me. Like the game expected me to be shocked and I was just .. okay, cool, so what?), while other plot stuff just happened out of nowhere. Oh, Aranea wants to kill me, but the next day she's our tour guide, nothing wrong with that. WHAT?

I'm honestly rather tired of games that expect you to suck up every random piece of lore somewhere to even get the basic game. I watched the Brotherhood anime and the expensive film for FFXV and still didn't really get some plot points and then the game expects me to pick up 5? DLCs, novels, interviews and even more anime episodes. That's not how cross media works.

Foxycian

Awards
Nomura has creative character designs, is a good game designer and has cool ideas, but he would need someone to actually stop him now and then and translate these ideas properly. The latest installments of KH were really overloaded with a bunch of concepts that are either hardly explained, don't properly match with each other or are rendered obsolete / overwritten quickly. Most of my friends told me, when asked what they thought about KH, they just fell into some kind of apathetic stance considering the writing because it was either vague or didn't make sense. One friend said she had a lot of fun, but was constantly leaning back, thinking "yeah, suuuuure, whatever, it looks good at least" when something inexplicable on the KG happened again. The story is a mess, not because it is so complex, but because the presentation is rather poor and unnecessarily convoluted. You shouldn't have to read Ultimanias, Wikis or Word of God interviews to understand the BASIC story of the game because the game fails to explain it properly.

That said, Xehanort is one of the shitties villains I've ever seen because his motivations constantly changed. In BBS he wanted to recreate the keyblade war out of curiousity, then it's about getting young again or balancing light and darkness and suddenly he wanted to save the world ... from what? The destruction HE brought upon it? The world was fine until he interfered! And he's played as this super smart guy who planned everything everywhere along the way .. while he doesn't exactly outsmart the protagonists, they just play idiot ball so much that it hurts (looking at you, BBS).

FFXV is a different mess, but still a mess. Some plot points that felt irrelevant were highlighted a lot (e.g. that Prompto was a Nif, if I remember correctly? I don't recall it very well because it felt so random to me. Like the game expected me to be shocked and I was just .. okay, cool, so what?), while other plot stuff just happened out of nowhere. Oh, Aranea wants to kill me, but the next day she's our tour guide, nothing wrong with that. WHAT?

I'm honestly rather tired of games that expect you to suck up every random piece of lore somewhere to even get the basic game. I watched the Brotherhood anime and the expensive film for FFXV and still didn't really get some plot points and then the game expects me to pick up 5? DLCs, novels, interviews and even more anime episodes. That's not how cross media works.
To be fair like many have already stated, tabata was given a specific timeline to end ffxv, that’s why it felt unfinished, tabata makes a better story cause the story’s He makes are easy to understand unlike Nomura and the hot mess that’s kingdom hearts plot.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
FINAL FANTASY XV's story was an incomplete mess in some aspects because Versus XIII was originally a trilogy and Hajime Tabata was given strict instructions to create a home-console, open-world, singly entry addition to the main FF brand.

* Hajime's only experience on a home-console video game was the port of his Type-0 handheld game. This was Tabata's first time tackling a home console project.

* Hajime had never worked on an open-world game, nor the team he had with him.

* Tabata had to condense a trilogy into a single entry. A lot of details were gonna be left out, especially since the last half of the game was literally streamlined from open-world to FFXIII corridor.

* Hajime had a 2016 deadline.

Foxycian

Awards
Sucks tabata quit square enix, my guess from the pressure? I blame Nomura terrible writing salty ass (over ff versus 13) 😂 how long do you need to finish one Game mister Nomura?

jokes aside both are great writers but Tabata was as Good as Nomura maybe even better cause I understand the story that tabata makes much quicker then the games nomura makes,

That’s my take on this matter but still I think they are both great writers👋🏻

Back