• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Here Comes the Bride

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Artorius Rex

A bit long for my taste when it comes to reading chapters. I really do hope that you abridge your future chapters as a suggestion though your use of describing the environment is improving. Continue on miss Mina.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
Just reread all the chapters so far. I'm kinda worried for poor Riku. Sora and Kairi may want to keep a close eye on the Mansion.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
Day 6

Riku woke up on the top bunk of the bed. The sheets itched and it smelt like jam. “Rolly?”

“I'm here, sah.” Rolly's muffled voice floated up from the bottom bunk. Riku sat up, and hit his head. This would take a little getting used to. “Wha' do you need?”

“Just directions. Rolly, I'm sorry to be such a pain.” He slid down the bedside and landed on the cold wooden floor.

“Yah not, sah.” Rolly slipped out of the bed too.

“You don't believe me though.” Riku muttered as he pulled on a large shirt. Rolly frowned in response.

“Ah'm stahting too.”

Riku walked out into the kitchen. Almost all of the servants were up (Riku was still yawning and stretching) and the smell of baking bread began to fill the air.

“Did we wake you?” A strawberry blond bustled over. “I'm Mary, Kate's sister.”

“Er... no. Not-” Riku yawned again. “Sorry. Not really.” He looked around for a second before turning back to Mary. “Can I help in any way?”

“You're sweet, but no. If you don't want to go back to bed, you can just head over into the ballroom. We'll be serving breakfast later... unless you need Rolly to help you get dressed.”

“Mary, I know how to dress myself.” Riku retorted then walked back to Rolly's room to pick up a spare change of clothes.

Sora walked into the ballroom about an hour later. His face was washed, his clothes were clean, and a smirk flitted across his face as he saw a silver head of hair snoring on the table. He pulled himself up onto the balls of his feet and began to tiptoe towards Riku, only to stop short when Way to the Dawn was pointed at his nose.

“Not. One. Word.” Riku growled, the left side of his face laying on the table. “I had a rotten night.”

“I know, I was there.” Sora replied and slid into the seat next to Riku. Riku's green eye half opened before closing again in a desperate bid to sleep. “And you really need to get more sleep.”

“I had trouble. I kept on seeing that lady all night in my head.” His voice began to murmur in the end, he was clearly fighting the urge to sleep.

“Well, you better wake up, or I'll have to do all the work around here.” Sora grinned.

“What work? We're guests, and Constance has servants.”

“Fine. Fine.” Sora grumbled. “Still, you better sit up. Constance will probably come down soon, and you don't want to be rude.” Riku made some unintelligible grumbling in response then straightened up in the high back chair. After his shoulders began to sag, he pushed the chair back and began to walk and stretch around the ballroom in order to wake himself up.

“Do you believe me?” Riku asked. He paused across from Sora to look at him. His face fell as he saw how Sora stayed quiet. “You don't.” Sora opened his mouth to respond, but Riku ignored him. “I ask you that every day and you always have the same answer.”

“You probably ask if he thinks your crazy though, this question is similar.” Constance walked into the room, her black dress trailing behind her. Sora could already smell some flower smell she was wearing as perfume. “How are you today?”

“Tired.” Riku complained as he continued to walk.

“Hungry.” Sora replied, after thinking for a bit. Constance gave a small giggle.

“Well, dear Sora, breakfast should be coming soon.”

“SORRY I'M LATE!” Kairi burst into the hall, and then began to pant and wobble. Riku rushed over to catch her in case she fainted – wisely deciding not to leap over the table in the process – but Sora stayed still. As it turned out, though, she didn't faint and brushed off Riku's help and then adjusted the white apron like garment over her pink dress.

“Miss Kairi, where are your gloves? And you should know a lady NEVER runs.” Constance began to reprimand Kairi, but stopped when Sora's stomach rumbled. “Then again, I haven't discussed this with you yet. Let us eat breakfast first.”

Why didn't Sora do anything? Kairi mused as she dug into a grapefruit. Riku's more attentive and he's crazy. A blush lit up Kairi's cheeks as she bit her lip. There, she had said it. Well, thought it. I think Riku was crazy. Who wouldn't? He kept on seeing things that no one else would, hearing things... what if he really was crazy?

But why didn't he melt down earlier? He certainly should've...
Kairi reached up to pull a strand of hair from her face. Well, know, how to act? She glanced across to Riku, who looked back with that calm face. Did he know?

Constance started to uncharacteristicly drum her black clad fingers. They had to be coming soon. Well, they said Lunch at the latest. Maybe Riku would be tired out by then? Still, even if she WAS forced to alert Ezekiel to this... situation... it should turn out alright. He wasn't really going to care if Riku was crazy, was he?

“Miss Kairi” Kairi looked up and saw Constance push her chair back. “Let us get back to teaching you how to act. If I am to debut you soon then-'

“Wait, what do you mean debut?” Kairi asked, her fingers tightening on her spoon. “How am I going to debut?”

“To debut yourself into society, Miss Kairi.” Constance straightened up and stepped to the right of the table. “You are 15?”

“16.” Kairi muttered. “I just turned 16.”

“Fine, either way you should start looking for a husband.” At this point both Sora and Riku started choking.

“A husband?” Sora finally managed to gasp out. Riku was furiously drinking a glass of orange juice. “She's just sixteen?”

“And she should have gotten a few requests already. Sora, you are not organizing her debut. I am. Leave this to the women.” Riku – wisely- kept his mouth shut after that speech. Kairi, however, was flabbergasted. She should be just chatting about who she thought was cute, not seriously considering getting married! She was too young, too inexperienced, and who knows what it would be like. The mayor was good, and Riku and Sora's parents were nice, but they had known eachother for YEARS before getting married. They were mostly arranged, but they had known eachother and were free to shut it down. But this... this was just weird. What if she ended up with someone like Ezekiel? He seemed alright, but there was just something really offputting...

“Miss Kairi.” Constance's voice cut through her mental process. “Stand up. You need to learn how to act like a princess.” It spoke to Sora and Riku's state of mind that they did not laugh.

“Well, you're still here.” Leota walked into the ballroom. Riku was the only one left at the table, his remaining food now cold. “What's troubling you?”

“Miss Leota...” Riku started, then stabbed a fruit “The last twelve hours have been REALLY weird.” Leota gave a small smile.

“I know exactly what you're going through.”

“Were you told one of your best friends must start looking for a husband at sixteen?”

“Well, yes actually.” Leota admitted. “But I was expecting it, unlike you.” She sat to Riku's right, and pulled his hand over to her. “Let's see..” she turned his hand over, and pulled the suit's sleeve back. “Do you want me to read your palm?”

“I'm fine.” Riku looked away, then flinched as Claude landed on top of his head. “Claude...” Claude cawed, then flew to Leota's chair. “but what about you? I hear you keep on...” Riku trailed off then made a motion that seemed to signify ghosts.

“Ah, the Spirits.” Leota grimaced. “I'm sorry, but they seem to want to possess me lately.” She sighed. “We seem to have a very weird six days, haven't we.” Leota didn't listen to Riku's response, or lack there of. This wasn't very good...Riku continued to pick at his food until Leota reached over and held Riku's hand in a more reassuring way. “Riku, I believe you.”

Sora, yet again, was bored. His book had disappeared – though he had a strong idea who had taken it – and he had no one really to hang out with. Riku was talking to Loeta – and they hadn't been getting along that well anyway lately – and Kairi and Constance were together and it would be kind of awkward to talk to any of them alone or together... well, it would be awkward to talk to Constance alone. Maybe he could head into town? It would be an interesting place to see, but then again he could get lost. Sora, lost in thoughts, did not realize that he had made his way down to the grounds. As he really looked at them for the first time in a week he was taken aback by how beautiful the place was.

As I spoke, beneath my feet
The ground-pine curled its pretty wreath,
Running over the club-moss burrs;
I inhaled the violet's breath;
Around me stood the oaks and firs;
Pine-cones and acorns lay on the ground;
Over me soared the eternal sky,
Full of light and of deity;
Again I saw, again I heard,
The rolling river, the morning bird; —
Beauty through my senses stole;
I yielded myself to the perfect whole.

Sora started and looked up at the man who had appeared next to him. He had brilliant blue eyes, bright blond hair – hidden though under a top hat – and wore a very well cut suit. “Each and All by Ralph Waldo Emerson. You are... Sora?”

“Er, yeah.” Sora replied as he pulled himself up to shake the man's hand. “I'm Sora Lockheart.” The man had a really tight grip. “I'm sorry, what's your name?”

“Ah, yes, we haven't met, have we? I'm Ezekiel King.” So this was Ezekiel. “I am a friend of Constance and as I have just arrived back in town I thought I would say hello.”

“Oh, good.” A smile lit up Sora's face when Constance's name was dropped. “Actually, Constance and Kairi mentioned you.”

“They did?” A slight tick flickered at the corner of Ezekiel's mouth, but Sora didn't notice it. “I hope it was the best of compliments.”

“Yeah.... Well, and Spencer and Julia mentioned you briefly too, Ezekiel.”

“King. Call me Mr. King. I am older then you.” Sora was surprised, but nodded.

“Fine, then, Mr. King.”

“Sora, where is Constance?”

“Somewhere inside.” Sora shrugged. “She's busy training Kairi and I can't watch.” Ezekiel simply turned around and left without saying goodbye.

“Miss Constance, you have a visitor.” Constance turned around and then blinked when she saw Ezekiel's form on her doorstep.

“Ah, Ezekiel, how wonderful to see you again. And so soon!”

“It's only been two days, Constance, I thought you would have visited earlier. We have business problems to discuss.”

“And I have wards to train.” Constance replied, trying to keep the loathing out of her voice. “Kairi, you haven't curtsied to Ezekiel.” A blush lit up Kairi's face, but she started to run forward, stopped, walked the rest of the way, and then took a deep curtsey. She wobbled for a second, then straightened up, looking quite proud of herself.

“And we need to discuss this... or shall I discuss this in front of her?” Constance was fairly sure that Kairi wouldn't understand anything, but to make sure...

”Fine.” And Constance stormed out of the room, Ezekiel following.

'You didn't need to go that far. Yes, the party is being planned. They'll say the same things they say every year about you.” Constance sniped as she sat behind George's desk. Ezekiel walked around, looking at the various paintings.

“It's still part of our agreements. When is it?”

“Sunday. I'm redebuting and debuting Kairi.” Constance peeled off a glove and flexed her fingers before putting it back on. “Such a pleasant experience.” Sarcasm tinged her voice, but Ezekiel ignored it.

“That's fine. And I met a young Sora Lockheart out front. Why did he call Spencer and Julia by their first names?”

“Because he doesn't know their last ones. What are you up to?” Constance changed the conversation with the deft of a rhinoceros, but it didn't matter between the two of them.

“Checking up on my investments. You? Do you already have your eye on someone?”

“Even if I did, I'm not going to tell you.” One of the things that bothered Constance the most about Ezekiel was how he never changed his inflection, it was always condescending. “Now get out.”

“I'll wait until the fun begins. You DID call the asylum, right? They're coming right after lunch.”

Everyone ended up back in the ballroom as Lunch time arrived. Riku was the last to arrive, but as he arrived he realized something was... off. Constance was being very unlady like and drumming her fingers, Sora seemed to be thinking about something besides Constance, and Kairi was constantly adjusting how she sat. As Riku moved to sit down, he heard the door creak open behind him. He turned around and saw two men in white coats standing there.

“Ah, and you are... Riku?” The taller of the two said. Even from over here Riku could smell blood on him, despite how clean he was dressed. The taller one blinked his brown eyes as Riku nodded, then tensed his body. “Would you like to come with us?” Riku bolted in response. He ran towards the men, place his hands on one of the shorter's shoulders, then flipped over him, landed on the floor, then ran into the entrance hall and up the stairs. He darted into a side hallway then kicked a door open... and found himself in Leota's room.

“Are you looking for a place to hide?” She asked, not even commenting on the fact one of her Crystal balls was open and how Claude was sitting on a spell book. She just gave a smile as Riku nodded and began to pant. “I understand. The window's open and there's a room above us. I think it's unused.”

“Thanks.” Riku gasped and then yanked the window up. He managed to clamber out as Loeta closed the door to her room. Riku struggled to get on the roof, opened the window above Leota's room and room and rolled onto the carpeted floor.

“What are you doing here?” A female voice asked gently. Riku choked back a scream and looked up to see a woman with blond hair sitting at a vanity of some sort. She was wearing a wedding dress, of all things, and a candle flickered on her table despite the sunlight. “I don't get guests, and a man of all things. What will George say when he returns?”

“You're... you're really here?” Riku asked. He walked tentatively forward and touched her shoulder. She was indeed solid, and Riku let out a sigh of relief. “I'm Riku.”

“My name is Emily, soon to be Emily Gracey. Whenever George gets back I'm going to marry him.”

“Oh, er..” Riku wasn't sure what to say, and just listened to see if anyone had followed him. “I don't know... what are you doing in this room? I've been here for almost a week and I've never seen you.”

“I told you, I'm waiting.” She seemed really nice at least, if a bit out of it. Riku proceeded to pinch himself, that's what people thought about him! “George needed to meet a woman named Constance and then he was going on a trip. When he came back we're going to get married. I know it's been about a year and a half, but George is worth waiting for.” She frowned as she gazed into the mirror, Riku reflected by the door. “I just wish I could have some letter or something. Do you know why George hasn't gotten back to me?”

“Er...” Riku cast about for something to say before settling on the truth. “George's... dead. He died about a year ago. And Constance is his widow.” The color drained from Emily's face. With a Banshee like shriek she grabbed the candle and began to run through the halls.

“EMILY!” Riku shouted as he tried to keep up. The shrieking continued as she mounted some stairs and ran up to a room that Riku hadn't even known existed. The shrieking turned into sobbing as Riku climbed the stairs and entered an attic. As he entered the room the sobbing abruptly stopped and something hit the floor with a THUD The attic was crowed with... stuff. The stuff of a household that had existed for decades. Old paintings, cracked water basins, old dolls, jewelery, dresses, old trunks, spider webs, hats, a piano, they littered the attic while Riku tried to keep from sneezing due to the dust.

“Emily? Are you here?” Riku clambered over a trunk and turned to see Emily collapsed on the ground, holding a piece of cloth that had been covering a painting in her left hand, her right hand still holding the candle. “Emily, come on.” he walked over and knelt down, only to see she wasn't breathing. “Emily... Emily!” He pushed the candle away and pulled the cloth out of her hand. He began to pat her cheek and opened her eyes to see if they reacted to the light. “Come on, Emily, don't die.”

“Riku!” Sora's voice cut through the air, and Riku felt some hands grab him. “Did you...”

“Can someone help her, please?” Riku pleaded as he was pulled away from Emily's prone body. He didn't really fight, but as he was pulled away, he gave up. Standing next to the painting – which Riku suddenly realized was one of Constance and the man from the first day still missing a head – was Emily but with a heart beating in her chest. She had a sad look on her face and just watched as Riku was pulled out of the room, with but Rolly following. He was the only one taking care of Emily's body.

----
Ezekiel to Pseudocide, yes Emily is dead. And, yes, everyone can see her. And Org is a wonderful Beta-er.

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t
Okay, what just happened? Where did Emily come from? How long was she there? How did she die just like that? Was she real? There are just so many questions, and I am really confused. But, whatever, that was a really great chapter. I really feel bad for Riku. First Sora thinks he's crazy, and now Kairi thinks the same. Also, there was that strange thing with Emily. Man, he cannot win. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.

madammina

I'll clarify them next chapter but the long and short of it is:

1) Emily is real.
2) She died of a broken heart
3) only Riku can see her ghost (His first real ghost! YAY!)
4) I really couldn't come up with a great explanation but Emily in Haunted Mansion Lore (She's one of the brides in the Attic) died of a broken heart. The Mirror scene is from Melanie in the Haunted Mansion, but yeah. But she's been waiting in that room for George ever since he left her just to step out for a bit.

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t
I'll clarify them next chapter but the long and short of it is:

1) Emily is real.
2) She died of a broken heart
3) only Riku can see her ghost (His first real ghost! YAY!)
4) I really couldn't come up with a great explanation but Emily in Haunted Mansion Lore (She's one of the brides in the Attic) died of a broken heart. The Mirror scene is from Melanie in the Haunted Mansion, but yeah. But she's been waiting in that room for George ever since he left her just to step out for a bit.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I do find it a little weird that she was in that room for so long and didn't notice anything strange. Did Constance know she was there? I would think she may have known something. Well, I'm sure all will be revealed in due time.

madammina

A) Melanie is in Phantom Manor
B) Riku - once he calms down... which won't be until Day 7 or so - finds it suspicious too. Especially after that hint Emily unintentionally dropped.

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards
Okay, review time at last!

I really love the way Kairi's started taking an active role in the recent chapters. The whole scene when Constance was telling her that she needs to get married was really funny. And on THAT note...

The mayor was good, and Riku and Sora's parents were nice, but they had known eachother for YEARS before getting married. They were mostly arranged, but they had known eachother and were free to shut it down.

That was an EPIC shout-out to my fic; thank you!! :D

Emily's death did seem a bit random towards the end, even though I knew it was coming, but I'm assuming that you'll address this more in future chapters? It was sad how she had no idea that Gracey was dead and that he married Constance, which makes me wonder...what the heck happened? How did he forget about her or not realize that she was still up there? Why did he marry Constance instead?

Also, in answer to your question, I did like Leota in this chapter; I like her a lot in the story overall, because I think Riku needs to have at least one character who knows he's not insane. Because if this wasn't set in the Haunted Mansion and I didn't know the truth about Constance, it would be easy for me to assume that Riku really has lost his mind. If other people agree with him, then we know that it's not just him going crazy. I also really liked the suspense in the chapter; the conversation between Constance and Ezekiel and everyone's behavior around Riku gave off the vibe that something REALLY bad was about to happen, so that was good. And more Ezekiel/Constance is ALWAYS a good thing!

I can't wait to read/beta the next chapter!

madammina

Okay, review time at last!
YAY!!!

I really love the way Kairi's started taking an active role in the recent chapters. The whole scene when Constance was telling her that she needs to get married was really funny. And on THAT note...
Well, she would be married - or at least considered - at this time period. And, yes, Kairi will take on a more active role. In the climax of this story she will take on a VERY important role...
(no one got my Princess joke? Well, I'm not very funny anyway)

That was an EPIC shout-out to my fic; thank you!! :D
You're Welcome!

Emily's death did seem a bit random towards the end, even though I knew it was coming, but I'm assuming that you'll address this more in future chapters? It was sad how she had no idea that Gracey was dead and that he married Constance, which makes me wonder...what the heck happened? How did he forget about her or not realize that she was still up there? Why did he marry Constance instead?
She died of a broken heart - as per tradition with the HM brides. (While Constance's hasn't been explained/hinted at, all the others have died of broken hearts... not including Elizabeth) as for the last bit, those are spoilers and will be addressed once we find out more about Constance. Keep in mind, though, that she can go Toe to Toe with EZEKIEL... (though Ezekiel had nothing to do with George besides normal business operations)

Also, in answer to your question, I did like Leota in this chapter; I like her a lot in the story overall, because I think Riku needs to have at least one character who knows he's not insane. Because if this wasn't set in the Haunted Mansion and I didn't know the truth about Constance, it would be easy for me to assume that Riku really has lost his mind. If other people agree with him, then we know that it's not just him going crazy. I also really liked the suspense in the chapter; the conversation between Constance and Ezekiel and everyone's behavior around Riku gave off the vibe that something REALLY bad was about to happen, so that was good. And more Ezekiel/Constance is ALWAYS a good thing!
HOORAY FOR SUSPENSE! Anyway, there is a reason why Leota believes Riku, and I'll try to fit it in later. It will most certainly be explained, I'm just not sure when. And I'm glad the various conversations helped with setting the scene. And Ezekiel/Constance is ALWAYS a good thing... though not as a pairing. They wouldn't do well as a couple, at all.

I can't wait to read/beta the next chapter!
I can't wait to write it! I have the ideas planned... just not the time. But now that my schedule has cleared up... (and I don't have some other fics to do) But I may do the next chapter of "I'll Break You" first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back