• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► Hemingway

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Here's this week's attempt to post decent literature in this section.

Does anyone have an opinion on Hemingway?

The Old Man and the Sea is the only work of his I've read, but it's enjoyable enough. Any recommendations for other novels of his would be appreciated as well.

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
The Old Man and the Sea...

Read it freshman year of high school. Absolutely hated it. Didn't see the point, blah blah blah.

Well, after 4 years of honors/AP english classes, I recently re-read it again, and was able to appreciate it a bit more. Still wouldn't call it one of my favorites.

I think his short stories are BRILLIANT. I've read and really liked: Hills Like White Elephants, a Clean, Well-Lighted Place, Indian Camp, Soldier's Home, and A Day's Wait. My favorite is probably A Day's Wait.

Much respect for this amazing writer.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to pick them up sometime.

I'm really expecting his work to be good, Hemingway and Fitzgerald were my favorite author's favorite authors.

Xiao

Awards
Yeah, definitely pick those up. Especially Hills Like White Elephants - that's a fun one to figure out :).

I've actually....never read anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald...

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
The Great Gatsby is brilliant, I would definitely suggest reading it. There's so much about it to enjoy. Unfortunately, that's all of his work that I've read.

Xiao

Awards
Yeah, I was supposed to read it sophomore year and never did. Oops.

Good to know someone on here has really good taste in lit :D

We've talked about Catch-22 before right?

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
I think that the only book that I was assigned to read but didn't was The Red Badge of Courage. There was literally not a single person in my honors English class who actually finished that book.

We've talked about Catch-22 before, yes. Have you read any of Heller's other stuff? I have a collection of his short works right now, it's not bad.

And, you know, I almost feel bad about derailing a thread like this, but it's not like very many other people are going to respond to it anyways.

Xiao

Awards
Haha my class was like that (junior year anyway) with Cry, the Beloved Country.

As for Heller, my last high school English teacher didn't think that any of Heller's other stuff was good, so Catch-22 is the only piece from him I've read.

There should be classes on just that book. There's SO much in it. I can't rave about it enough.

Yeah...I'm sure we'll circle around back to Hemingway eventually :p

Trag

Bronze Member
I had a thread about it before they fucked the lit section, but The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorite books of all time.

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards
Oh I read the old mand and the sea in school.
It's an o.k book but I don't love it.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
I had a thread about it before they fucked the lit section, but The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorite books of all time.

I love The Sun Also Rises. Brett is probably my favorite character, especially female character, in any story.

O a t h keeper

Musically Promiscuous
I thoroughly dislike that man.

The only novels of his that I've read are The Old Man and the Sea and The Sun Also Rises.

The point of both is basically that life sucks. Lovely.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
Here's this week's attempt to post decent literature in this section.

Does anyone have an opinion on Hemingway?

The Old Man and the Sea is the only work of his I've read, but it's enjoyable enough. Any recommendations for other novels of his would be appreciated as well.
Oh dear, I read that book for langauge, i didn't even finish it.

I told everybody I did but I didn't.

and i only read that book because everybody else wanted the two good books,a nd iw as trying to be nice.

My opinion- That book really... just did not get me interested. I could perfectly well understand what was happening, the plotline, was... dull.

All imho.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Hemingway? Dull? What the fuck is wrong with you kids? The Old Man and the Sea is about the oldest story ever written. It is man in his most humble form struggling to survive against the tumultuous forces of nature. His body betrays him, his luck has run dry, his humble home is literally falling apart, but still fights on.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Hills Like White Elephants was very, very well written.

Oz.

Awards
I haven't read a Hemingway book yet that I haven't loved. For Whom the Bell Tolls is an excellent book. Definitely my favorite. Lots of insight, great character development.

Books from the Modernist movement aren't usually high-flying, action packed stories that high schoolers are used to these days, so I can imagine why some of you wouldn't enjoy them. With that being said, if you draw a parallel between Santiago from The Old Man and the Sea and Jesus Christ, you'll have a better understanding and appreciation of what Hemingway was trying to do.

afrobutt

Silver Member
i read soldier's home i think in english class, thought it was very nice.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
I really liked The Old Man and the Sea, but it seems most of the people here don't. His short stories are definitely the best of his work though, so I would suggest reading stuff like Indian Camp.

Trag

Bronze Member
I liked the old man and the sea, 'twas a great book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back