• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Help?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
So yeah, I was just wondering what's a good studying technique? I'm terrible at studying for Math and Science tests/quizzes and like to study better. I mean Science you read more and all but Math, I'm not so good at and that Science I need help with because sometimes I don't know wether to study parts of the section or the whole sections because my teachers gives out us the powerpoints slide packets and yeah, I'm not sure wether to absorb all the information in or take in one by one!

If anybody know any good study techniques and habit, much is appreciated!

Thanks!

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Have someone else quiz you, if you can. And don't be on the computer/ watching TV while you're studying, even if you don't think that it affects you.

And take breaks, otherwise you're not going to retain anything.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
Absorbing all the information at once is probably not the best idea unless you don't have enough time. If you are thinking ahead and you have spare time, I would suggest that you take it in bit by bit. Make it a gradual process. Study one part, then the next night, study the next part and so on. Every night though, if even for a brief moment, you can recap on the previous night's material, it will prove to be beneficial to the memorization process. As for math, I would say give yourself some assignment from the textbook or whatever, and then maybe have your teacher check it. Even if if you didn't do all that well, most teachers will be lenient after seeing that you put in that extra effort. Hope I was of some assistance.

la tangerine

The study method doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, as every method always has the same goal in mind, being ultimately able to comprehend the subject at hand. Personally, with subjects such as math I tend to put to practice what I've just read to ensure that I'm going about things the correct way and when I complete one problem I can move on to the next. As long as you can comprehend the subject matter once you're done, all you have to do is sleep. A lot of people tend to spend their time studying when they should be sleeping, which is not recommended for the simple reason that your sleep will help engrave your studies into your mind. Little people know that dreams are a way for the mind to recap events and thoughts (both conscious and unconscious) throughout the period spent from your last sleep session to the current one in order complete the learning process and store away the information into your subconscious, where from you can easily reach the information at any time needed. (For example, say that you can't exactly recall something before a quiz; reading a question relating to that will make your mind automatically go and grab that information that has been stored away by means of necessity.) This is one of the major reasons that teachers advise students to be well rested for a quiz, a test or an exam. You can test it out by simply trying to remember something when having gone a prolonged period without rest, which I'm sure everyone has. You'll come to quickly understand that remembering things you've learned comes to you at a very slow pace, in which you have to think much more excessively than you normally would.

Anyway, I went a little off-topic. In a study session, just put to practice the subject matter you learn in order to verify that you've correctly processed it and move on to the next problem. Afterward, make sure you get a good night's rest and you'll be all set.

JH

Ouvrez Votre Esprit
Website
www.khcentral.net
What I do is just stare at the words or images you need to study. Read them over a little bit in my mind, and memorize them by their position on the page in relation to everything else on the page.

Only really works if you're one who remembers well by images.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Really all you ca ndo is try your own methods. What may work for me may not work for you.

However, I personally chew gum while I study. may seem a bit odd, but it helps keep me focused.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
If you're doing math, especially, give yourself the most difficult problem of the kind that you're working on.

For example, if you're working on distributing, throw in everything you can. The test may have problems like

7(2x+3)

but if you can solve

7(2x+5y+2-5) - (2/3-4)2,

then you'll definitely do well on the 'easy' problems that you have. Just make sure that someone verifies that you're correct.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
I find that re-testing yourself works really well, for example, with a test on... say World War 2, you usually would know what you're going to be tested on. So devise some questions if you don't already have any, then answer each question. Then the one's that you don' know, you can go back and learn them, so at least that way you can focus on the bits that you need to learn... and yeah! ^-^

Danica Syer

Wow these are all different things I hear about and such. Hmmm......chewing gum, Eddie? That sounds funny but yeah, know what you mean. I think I might have a study technique of my own but I can see what your pointing out. Hmm.....the Math equation seems to out nice Pelafina, I'm actually doing for my Math classes....hmmm.....I can't memorize everything, Jake, I actually have bad memory...unless you were getting somewhere else with it.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
So yeah, I was just wondering what's a good studying technique? I'm terrible at studying for Math and Science tests/quizzes and like to study better. I mean Science you read more and all but Math, I'm not so good at and that Science I need help with because sometimes I don't know wether to study parts of the section or the whole sections because my teachers gives out us the powerpoints slide packets and yeah, I'm not sure wether to absorb all the information in or take in one by one!

If anybody know any good study techniques and habit, much is appreciated!

Thanks!

Well for science depending on what your unit is try if you have to list like for example the minerals make a song or somthing and for math write out the problems you got wrong on your homework and see if you get them rite and check them on a calculator does this help at all:confused:

DarkMarblinc18

What I usually do is whatever I need to study, I type/write an out line of it.

Example- I.) Science
......................1.) Blahblahblah
.................................a.) lalalalalala

Yeah stuff like that xD Then I just read it over and over. Flashcards help too.

Also my science teacher always says eating something minty helps you remember things? Idk though, Ahaha xD

-Arcana-X-

I can see right through all your empty lies
Do extra problems in the textbook. And yes, you can study for math, unlike what others say.
For science, concentrate on the powerpoints since it's more likely that the info there will be used on the test and you understand the basic outline. After that, you can study in depth into the textbook.

you can always ask your math teacher for practice problems. solve the problems, and ask if your teacher can correct them. extra help always works ^^

and science, review anything and everything your teacher goes over in class. most of the time that's what the teacher will put on the tests. and same thing, go for extra help because that can help you study better.

WilliamTheWise

Oh right, I can change this....
Website
earltheandroid.tumblr.com
Study?
I never study except for really hard classes. Try going to your textbook's website if they have one. There they may extra problems and chapter summaries( some times they are audio so you can put them on your Ipod and listen to them later ). And if this dosen't work talk to your teacher about tutors or if they will help you study. Teachers aren't 100% evil only about 95%, but that 5% wants to help you pass so your not in their class next year, so talk to them.

Danica Syer

Well for science depending on what your unit is try if you have to list like for example the minerals make a song or somthing and for math write out the problems you got wrong on your homework and see if you get them rite and check them on a calculator does this help at all:confused:

Yeah, okay then. I could do that.....a song......hmmm.....yeah did that once with Science test. Helped alot. XD

What I usually do is whatever I need to study, I type/write an out line of it.

Example- I.) Science
......................1.) Blahblahblah
.................................a.) lalalalalala

Yeah stuff like that xD Then I just read it over and over. Flashcards help too.

Also my science teacher always says eating something minty helps you remember things? Idk though, Ahaha xD

I need to remember Flashcards. XD

you can always ask your math teacher for practice problems. solve the problems, and ask if your teacher can correct them. extra help always works ^^

and science, review anything and everything your teacher goes over in class. most of the time that's what the teacher will put on the tests. and same thing, go for extra help because that can help you study better.

I always ask anybody who knows Math--help. So yeah, and I have a tutor I go to. Okay, okay, hmmm...yeah gotcha. Will do!

Study?
I never study except for really hard classes. Try going to your textbook's website if they have one. There they may extra problems and chapter summaries( some times they are audio so you can put them on your Ipod and listen to them later ). And if this dosen't work talk to your teacher about tutors or if they will help you study. Teachers aren't 100% evil only about 95%, but that 5% wants to help you pass so your not in their class next year, so talk to them.

Okay. For Math they do. And I know for a face that many of my teachers don't have a problem with me--not in my case anyway, somebody else, probably. I do have a tutor and I do have teachers I can talk to.

Hmm.......thanks for the advice guys!

Will take it!

Aliahya

Bronze Member
dont be afraid to ask questions, go to your teacher after class and talk to them.

my secret study technique is a clean room and light. i know odd isnt it.

my room usually looks like a bomb has hit it. but before my final exams i cleaned my room and each night i studied with my blinds open and windows open to. it creates a more freasher environment. mind maps are gud for science and maths redoing questions you got wrong in class that day over and over again. the look, cover, write, check worked for me for science, maths and english also my elective classes.

Also find a time period that suits you. make it your goal. for example. say that you are going to do an hours study on maths on sunday. you know you are going to study so study when your ready.

for me i cant study in the afternoon because i get drowsy and i cant concentrate. but when its night time at about 8 o'clock i concentrate really well. it might not work for everyone but find a time slot where your feeling focused if that makes any sense :)

Last edited:

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
I know this might seem odd, but it's really alright to ask your teacher any questions you have about something. It doesn't make you stupid.

Also, when going back and studying, it's not the best idea to do your homework immediately and then do it one big go and not worry about it anymore.

I suggest that you take an hour to two hours break after getting home. Eat a snack, go outside and take a walk- perhaps think about what happened that day in school- and then, when you come back in, get down to your homework.

For science, it really is best to read the chapter all in one go, and then to go back and pick out key words, sentences, and other things that you think your teacher might make a point of. It's not a good idea to take notes on the chapter that are just regurgitating the entire chapter back out.

For math, it's good to do about ten to twenty problems and then see if you got them right. Try to memorize the forumals and such during this time.

After about 30 to 45 minutes, take a 15 minute break. It's been documented that your brain is only really active on one thing for about 30-45 minutes- and then it needs to rest. During this time, it would be a good idea to go and do something else for 15 minutes (take another walk. You can never get enough exercise). Hell, fold laundry. Whatever gets your mind completely off work for that 15 minutes. Check your e-mails.

But after that 15 minutes, go back to working on the homework. You'll find that your mind is refreshed, and you will work quicker.

Also, it's been shown that the brain is actively working during the hours that we sleep. While we dream, the brain will go through our memory and basically delete whatever it finds inconsequential and unimportant. That's why we can't remember everything about the day before- if it wasn't a big enough to-do to remember, the brain will wipe it out of the memory. That's why it's key to do your homework. The brain will pick up the reminder that doing the repetitive homework gives out, and will store the information in your long term memory, instead of keeping it in the short term memory.

If you do it again the next night, while briefly, for 15 to 20 minutes, go over what you did the night before, the brain will keep this information fresh in your mind. It's part of the reason why teachers give homework and not just because they hate our guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back