• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

[Help] KH III Framerate issues - Am I the only one who can't bear it ?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Remdur

Awards
Hello everyone !

First of all, since it is my first post on this forum, let me say that I'm glad to be here. I'll be honest, you may be my last hope to enjoy KH III, so I'm really hoping that someone here can help me to solve my problem (by the way I'm french, and it's been a while since I wrote something in english so I do apologize for all the mistakes that I'll probably write in the following lines).

So my problem is actually pretty simple : I think KH III don't look good at all and it's actually completely preventing me from enjoying the game. I'm not talking about the graphics obviously, they are trully amazing (though the aliasing (I think that's what it's called, that feeling you have when looking at the textures from far away) is really annoying at times and doesn't help with what I'm going to explain). I'm talking more specifically about the framerate, or even more precisely about this feeling of slow-down that you have when playing this game. Before further explanation, let me say that I'm not particulary sensitive about the frame drops, I'm usually playing only on console at 30fps. And I'll add that I already test absolutely all that I could to make the game runs fine (turning the PS4 at 1080p, no supersampling mode, no graphics option on TV, and my TV is an ordinary 1080p TV from 2010). I'll add that all my other games run fine so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. My guess is that maybe the game run like that for everyone, but in that case I'm completely amazed to see that almost nobody is complaining about that...

So what is bothering me ? Basically, when playing KH III, I have this feeling that the game slow down really often. The game seems to run at 60fps most of the time, or 50-55 but that doesn't matter. However, there are a lot of moment or a lot of zone where the frame drops and, even If the game is still playable, it's really disturbing (for example at twilight town in the main area you can clearly see that the game is not smooth, the fight against the titan at the end of olympus is not smooth at all, on certain area at Galaxy Toys you slow down too and at the final boss of Toy Box when he's making al the item around him fly it had also huge frame drop).

But this is actually not the worst. The cutscenes, locked at 30fps, are not smooth either ! Well, I'd say that 80% of the cutscenes are "fine", and by fine I mean "just fine". All the cutscenes, even If they are beautiful, seems like they are not smooth at all, but some are better than other. But anyway in every cutscene you have this little feeling of slowliness which is annoying asf and which, personnaly, cut me off the game ! How the hell am I supposed to stay focus on what I'm seeing when you have the feeling that the cutscenes isn't smooth at all. The think is that it's not a huge slow-down, it's actually pretty tiny (well I had 3 or 4 cutscenes where it was really obvious that the frame pacing was bad), so you can still follow the events but man... It's huge enough to be completely annoying !

I just completed Toy Box so as you can see I'm not that far in the game but it's so annoying that honestly I'm having a hard time to keep going... I never felt so frustrated in my life of gamer. As you can see I can actually play the game just fine but those slow-down, especially in the cutscenes, are ruining my whole experience of it X_X And I don't know why... I tried every graphic option possible, I tried all the setting you can think of, reinstall the game, reconstruct the data base of the PS4, stable mode (which is even more unstable) etc. It's been 2 damn weeks and I've been trying to enjoy the game but man it's just impossible... I tried to forget about it but it's so visible that it's impossible !

And the worst in all that, it's that I don't find a lot of people complaining about that ! on french forum I met like 3 or 4 people concerned by the same problem... and that's all ! Everyone seems to enjoy the game just fine, how the hell is that possible ? I often see people saying that the cutscenes are completely smooth on there side and that the game has 0 frame drop, even on regular PS4... I'm on pro, why the hell there is lag ?! That would mean that I have problems that others don't have, but I tried everything, my ps4 pro runs all the other game perfectly, same for the TV. Actually it's like a real curse, KH III, the game I waited all my life for, isn't running well for me and I don't know why, the problem has no explanation, Square Enix support can't help me either, and everyone seems to be enjoying the game...

So here is my question for you guys : is it just me that is too concerned about the frame ? I don't have this feeling at all because honestly when you have that feeling of slow-down, the whole cutscenes feel off, it's impossible to not be bothered by that... Is anyone in the same situation ? I'm actually completely desperate about this, I've been searching for hours aroud the past two weeks but I'm still shocked by how few people seems to be bothered by that... I hope you can enlighten me, maybe find a solution... Really this forum is my last hope...

Subzero

I agree wholeheartedly! The performance rate is very inconsistent. I researched this a bit and it seems to be a universal thing, but more so on the base platforms, specifically more towards the base PS4. I’ve noticed jagged movement numerous times, in cutscenes, fighting, moving the camera, or just walking around. For me, it’s too noticeable to the point where I have to play in short segments because I can’t bare to watch such jagged frame rates for long periods of time. I want to enjoy this game (it’s very fun) but the performance is just awful. NO other games I’ve played on the PS4 are this challenged regarding frame rates.

I think our best hope is for them to make the game perform better through a series of patches. You can try re-installing the game (I tried it, but it didn’t resolve the issue). I’m not aware of any way to make it appear more smooth, unfortunately... but I do agree with you 10000%.

i would like to also hear from others if they have experienced such inconsistencies with frame rate. I don’t think we’re over-emphasising it or overreacting.... it’s just THAT bad.

Remdur

Awards
Man I'm so happy to finally meet someone who understand xD And that's exactly as you say, you have to play in short segment because the more you play, the more it's annoying... I do hope they release a patch but it's already been two weeks (or only two weeks) and still no news about this sort of patch... And since 0.2 was never fixed I'm afraid we are waiting for nothing :/

Subzero

Man I'm so happy to finally meet someone who understand xD And that's exactly as you say, you have to play in short segment because the more you play, the more it's annoying... I do hope they release a patch but it's already been two weeks (or only two weeks) and still no news about this sort of patch... And since 0.2 was never fixed I'm afraid we are waiting for nothing :/

True, but I can only hope so. I doubt we’re the only ones noticing it. There are articles and videos comparing frame rates between platforms. Depending on online videos you watch, you’ll also notice inconsistent frame rates repeatedly (I can pm you an example).

I don’t think I’m overly sensitive to the frame rates either or throwing it out of proportion... You honestly have to be oblivious, or half asleep to NOT notice it. I just finished Corona and it seems to have the “smoothest” movement, but it’s still jerky at times... especially when you visit the city. Makes it pretty unplayable in my opinion.

Remdur

Awards
True, but I can only hope so. I doubt we’re the only ones noticing it. There are articles and videos comparing frame rates between platforms. Depending on online videos you watch, you’ll also notice inconsistent frame rates repeatedly (I can pm you an example).

I don’t think I’m overly sensitive to the frame rates either or throwing it out of proportion... You honestly have to be oblivious, or half asleep to NOT notice it. I just finished Corona and it seems to have the “smoothest” movement, but it’s still jerky at times... especially when you visit the city. Makes it pretty unplayable in my opinion.

Yeah I'd like to see an example if you have a video ^^ I didn't made a lot of research because I'm trying to avoid being spoiled (which is really hard >.>) so I didn' get to see any video showing the exact same problem that we have. But what is truly intriguing is the fact that a lot of people don't seem to have that problem... Maybe it depends on your PS4 pro model or something (but it's weird cause they aren't supposed to be any difference)... on the other hand it's impossible for so many people to miss a problem THIS BIG so maybe the game does run differently depending on the people...

hlc1988

Awards
I've noticed nothing. Game seems very playable to me. But then I've got a Ps4 Pro, plus 4K tv so I don't know if that makes a difference.

saintfighteraqua

Awards
I have a Pro and a 4K TV and I didn't experience anything, though I've heard people say this on both regular XB1 and PS4 models.

Remdur

Awards
There's got to be an explanation... It's impossible for so many people to not notice something that bothering... But again can't figure the problem... I tried everything (except delete and reinstall the hard drive)... It would look like the TV is the problem, but it is still strange... How can the TV influence that much the framerate... Maybe it can be the PS4 model, but again I have a pro and Subzero has a regular PS4, and yet we are meeting the same problem... Do you have a 4K TV Subzero ?

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I don't have a 4K Tv or PS4 pro and mine has been fine. I will say that almost everytime I transform from the Dual Guns to the Cannon for Shooting Star it does lag for a second, but that's really it. It doesn't do it with the Pooh Keyblade so I assume its the all the starry effects or something mixed the amount of characters and enemies on screen at one time.

But yeah I mean there have been like 2 other people on here who have had issues, one of them is probably Subzero. So you aren't alone on this per se, but I really don't know if it's the actual game that is the issue.

Subzero

Question... so when you rotate your camera, it’s a smooth transition all throughout? I notice it the most shaky when rotating the camera.

Remdur

Awards
For me I don't even see a problem when I rotate the camera, looks like our issues aren't 100% the same (though I have to say regarding th video you sent that gummi ship is also for me not smooth at all). I was wondering if we were becoming insane, but so many people say that there is no frame drop, but I do have frame drop, very small during the cutscenes (that's what make me wondering if It was really just me or the game) but sometimes high frame drop in game... There is definitely a problem, but why does it affect a few of us... Is it because we don't have a 4K TV (it's the only point in common that we have Subzero and me when talking about our hardware)...

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Question... so when you rotate your camera, it’s a smooth transition all throughout? I notice it the most shaky when rotating the camera.

I...think so? I have mine set to constant 30 fps so its not like as smooth as someone with a Pro and 4k TV, but I don't really notice it stuttering or shaking

hlc1988

Awards
I...think so? I have mine set to constant 30 fps so its not like as smooth as someone with a Pro and 4k TV, but I don't really notice it stuttering or shaking

I could be wrong but isn't KH3 set to run at nearly 60 fps? Maybe that is the problem? you're not running the right FPS?

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I could be wrong but isn't KH3 set to run at nearly 60 fps? Maybe that is the problem? you're not running the right FPS?

It has settings for both. Also I am not having any issues lol. A lot of people don't have 4K Tvs or Ps4 Pros, which seems to be the only way to get it a consistent 60 frames anyway, otherwise it dips in and out which I think is meh. So I just set it to stable mode, which keeps it constant 30.

Remdur

Awards
Personaly I'm playing on "default mode", stable mode is terrible and I'm quite amazed that some people manage to play the game in this mode o_o

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Personaly I'm playing on "default mode", stable mode is terrible and I'm quite amazed that some people manage to play the game in this mode o_o

Maybe I'm just used to it? I prefer it over the game changing constantly. My BF has a Pro and 4K TV so I have seen the game at stable 60 FPS and it is much nicer. But I still just prefer it stable for now.

Edit: Well okay I mean I just played around with mine in Default mode for a while and it seems pretty good so far? Like the framerate isn't choppy at all. But I dunno if its certain places that affect more. I assume that's the case. I guess I would almost need to replay the whole game in this mode to know for sure lol.

Last edited:

Remdur

Awards
I wonder If having a 4K TV can actually make the game smoother (even if you have to lock it at 1080p)... In my case I did try stable mode but I find it very bad... I should maybe try to play in stable mode for a long time but even then I'm not sure that I could enjoy it >.>

Subzero

I’ve switched from default to stable mode and I think it’s more consistent. The background moves more smoothly and the characters (generally) have smoother movement, but there are still some FPS drops, but it doesn’t seem to be that noticeable. Worth a try?

Remdur - I pm’d you another example and just to be clear, let me know if THAT’S what you’re referring to with your original post.

Remdur

Awards
When I switch to stable mode I have the feeling that it’s shakong really hard... I will retry it tonight but I doubt that it will change everything >.>

Remdur

Awards
So, Am I still the only one bother by this problem ? I didn't keep playing but it looks like I'm the only human being on this planet who is really bothered by this... Looks like I'll have to give up and play the game as it is, but it won't be easy, it kind of disgust me from playing the game now... :'(

But now that I think about it, the simple fact that a "stable mode" exist means that the developers are awared that the "default mode" isn't completely smooth...

Last edited:
Back