• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Hellsing

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ordyh

Who has watched Hellsing. It is a really good anime. Although its only 13 episodes long. It's still good.
:cool:

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
The ending is kind of silly and cliffhanger-ish anyway, so you're not missing much. :)

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
hangeromu said:
It seems to me that Hellsing is one of those shows where you can't put anymore episodes or it could go on forever...

Why is that?

hangeromu

In the former dwelling of Attila the Hun, known as
They could simply go on doing what they were doing. No one major died, and Alucard & Police Girl would probably just continue they're jobs.
Unless there's something really important at the end that I've forgotten about.
But, I suppose it could continue if they really wanted it to.

ordyh

I have the HELLSING DVD BOX SET, bought it on my B-Day in April...so i can watch it whenever.

Rycel

Hellsing is a great series, to be sure. It's also one of those midlle-of-the-road series that could get someone into anime, but might turn them off depending on what they're into. The first show you see is a bit of a gamble because it might change the way you look at all anime. A friend of mine had the unfortunate fate of being subjected (in all literal terms of the word) to the Sailor Moon dub for an entire summer, so he has been turned off to all things anime for quite a long time.

But so far as Hellsing goes, I love it. The plot is a bit lighter overall than the manga, and the action is far less bloddy and graphic, but the gore factor and intrigue is still rather high. There has been talk for a long time about making a new series which follows the manga closer, but so far nothing has come of it.

ordyh

I wish they would make more episodes...i want to see what happened to Arucard, Integra, Seras.

Replica Riku

Hellsing OVA

Has anybody heard about the new hellsing OAV? Geneon Entertainment is working on it and it should be much better than the anime because it's going to follow the manga more closely.

Rycel

Re: Hellsing OVA

OVA stands for "Original Video Animation." OVAs are something akin to direct-to-video movies here in the USA, but OVAs tend to be more like miniseries, usually not exceeding 13 episodes. These are sometimes referred to as OAV (Original Animated Video), but they're interchangable so it doesn't matter.

This new series is going to be produced by Geneon (the company formerly known as Pioneer) which begs the question as to what changes the animative style for the new series will be. The original OVA was made by Gonzo (the folks who did ?) but they haven't thrown their hat into the ring for this new project, so will the new show be done by the folks from the Geneon-owned studios? The old Gonzo art concepts clashed with the more organic manga style, but they stayed very faithful. Will Geneon stick to Gonzo's style, or will they drift closer to Kohta Hirano's (the author of the original Hellsing manga) style?

The storyline is supposed to be tied closer to the manga, but no solid story information was given out by Geneon's reps. In a trailer from the current Hellsing box set, we see several animated shots taken from panels in the manga, and the final shot is a pair of white gloves clapping and three silhouettes. Finally, the trailer hints at the title "Hellsing: Psalm of Darkness"

***SPOILERS (highlight to read)***
While that probably means we'll be getting Millenium on the screen for the first time, we still don't know how prevalent they'll be. We do stand a good chance of seeing Major Montanna Max, and probably the Doctor and the Captain, but depending on how the plot goes the Werewolves may be nixed partially or entirely. And speaking of plot, if Geneon goes with the plot of the manga, we can probably expect a reaction by some groups to the notion of the firebombing of London by Nazi vampires. It may not be out of the question to expect another original storyline in addition to events from the manga (such as the fight with Tubalcain in Rio).

While this new OVA is touted as closer to the manga series, but the question still remains if it will be a sequel or not. The way the first OVA pans out, a lot of questions are unanswered and a lot of loose ends remain after the final credits roll. There's a similar spot in the manga, so perhaps the new series could pick up from that point and continue on. Perhaps this new OVA will be starting from scratch right from the beginning, retelling the events of the manga that the first OVA covered.

There are a lot of questions right now, but hopefully we'll be getting answers soon. At Anime Expo, Geneon is planning to host their own little anime festival and one of the guests is a representative involved with the production of the new OVA. Hopefully he'll be available for a Q&A, or at least Geneon will fork over some new information and maybe a progress report on the series. We'll just have to wait for now.

Sources:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6511
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=1060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back