• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Hello, RP Section!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As part of an overhaul of the section that OmniChaos and I are working on, I wanted to start a thread to see what suggestions and ideas everyone would like to see implemented into the section. Not every idea will be used, but all of them will be taken into account.

This will be a temporary thread and will only be open for the next week (until December 9th). Some of the ideas will then put into a poll and what is most "popular" (for lack of a better word) will be implemented first. These sorts of threads will go up so often to see what the members would like to see happen in the section.

The major focus of this overhaul is bringing more activity to the overall section. It seems like the cause of the problem is because of a mixture of things: older members have less free time and become more inactive, posts generally take longer to write because of the amount of writing involved, and new members may be intimidated to join in. In the end, this section is about having fun! No one should feel intimidated and everyone should feel welcome.

So, to bring in more activity, what would everyone like to see? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Suggestions for Future Poll:
- More newbie-friendly roleplays
- One x One RPs (thread to find partners)
- Encourage "looser" roleplaying (no templates, allow people to join in whenever, etc.)
- Roleplaying "market" (place to discuss ideas and seek help, etc.)

also guess the reference and you'll get a cookie C:

Last edited:

Javelin434

Awards
Hmmm....

-Consider starting RPs with short passages to break in the RPers, both new and old. Once an RP is established, then whoever wants a full blown mini-novel of their character's story in relation to the story can go for it.

-Ask the Site Admins to do the RP section a favor: whenever a new RP sign-up thread is created, have it show up on the recent posts mini-window. But only the first post (where the RP master posts the RP concept and is asking for other RPers to sign up.) This will bring attention to the newly created RP and entice viewers to click on it and view it. All further posts within that thread won't show up on the 'recent post' window.

-I've only manage to view a couple of RPs because they're KH related (which is what I mostly RP in and interested in) and for the rules, I've noticed that they've pretty much sugar-coated the rule of "If you're not good at writing, then don't bother" with thinly-veiled rewording. This can easily discourage newcomers who what to try their hands at RP and have seen the ridiculously long posts on other RP threads as a gauge of what's expected of them. Technically, beggars can't be choosers so RP hosts and all others involved will have to wing it. Although, constructive 'tips' [not criticism] will help poke new RPers in the right direction and improve their skills...

I'd post more, but since I haven't been involved directly in any RP here both sign-ups and direct RP-wise, I can't offer anymore advice.

Awards
one x ones!

encourage a "looser" formatting of roleplaying. maybe lose the templates and just allow people to jump in?

i guess these suggestions depend largely on the community's preference, but since this is a general thread to pitch ideas, I'm just laying that out there!

will add more that come to mind.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Create a roleplaying 'market' where people can freely post up one-liners or ideas they've got, but that they feel they need the help of another person to develop more nuance before starting, or that need some management help. With a public, pre-established place for the matter, people don't have to feel embarrased about posting a thread asking for help, it can function also as the "what do I work on next" thread where people post several projects they're working on and get people's feedback on that.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Shweet, thank you so much for all of your suggestions! :)
-Consider starting RPs with short passages to break in the RPers, both new and old. Once an RP is established, then whoever wants a full blown mini-novel of their character's story in relation to the story can go for it.
That's more of a community based thing, but I am working on a roleplay that will encourage more posts along those lines.

-Ask the Site Admins to do the RP section a favor: whenever a new RP sign-up thread is created, have it show up on the recent posts mini-window. But only the first post (where the RP master posts the RP concept and is asking for other RPers to sign up.) This will bring attention to the newly created RP and entice viewers to click on it and view it. All further posts within that thread won't show up on the 'recent post' window.
Errr... not sure if that's a problem (I believe that I've seen posts pop up before? Not 100% sure), but I will definitely check into it! c:

-I've only manage to view a couple of RPs because they're KH related (which is what I mostly RP in and interested in) and for the rules, I've noticed that they've pretty much sugar-coated the rule of "If you're not good at writing, then don't bother" with thinly-veiled rewording. This can easily discourage newcomers who what to try their hands at RP and have seen the ridiculously long posts on other RP threads as a gauge of what's expected of them. Technically, beggars can't be choosers so RP hosts and all others involved will have to wing it. Although, constructive 'tips' [not criticism] will help poke new RPers in the right direction and improve their skills...
This is also more of a community thing, however, this is one of the major things that I'm working on fixing. But it comes down to the specific roleplay and what the creator is looking for. Every RP creator has the right to do this, so there needs to be more roleplays that welcome everyone. Once more roleplays like that come into the section, things like this should (hopefully) tone down a bit.

one x ones!

encourage a "looser" formatting of roleplaying. maybe lose the templates and just allow people to jump in?

i guess these suggestions depend largely on the community's preference, but since this is a general thread to pitch ideas, I'm just laying that out there!

will add more that come to mind.
YAAAAAY AWESOME IDEA C:

But seriously, I'm completely up for that. What about a thread where people can look for one x one partners? And looser roleplays would be cool as well; I might give it a try with a RP that I'm working on~

Create a roleplaying 'market' where people can freely post up one-liners or ideas they've got, but that they feel they need the help of another person to develop more nuance before starting, or that need some management help. With a public, pre-established place for the matter, people don't have to feel embarrased about posting a thread asking for help, it can function also as the "what do I work on next" thread where people post several projects they're working on and get people's feedback on that.
Alright, sounds awesome! :D Maybe ideas could be archived in the first post, so anything left open-ended and anyone still looking for help isn't lost in the thread itself.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

By market does this imply I could peddle my expertise to the highest echelons of KHI RP-dom ehhuehuehuehuheu

Awards
YAAAAAY AWESOME IDEA C:

But seriously, I'm completely up for that. What about a thread where people can look for one x one partners? And looser roleplays would be cool as well; I might give it a try with a RP that I'm working on~

dudedudedude about the onexone idea: that would be so awesome and fantastic~ I just hope enough people will have an interest to participate? (then again, even if it's only us utilizing something like that then eff yea it's a success~)
otherwise, I'm totally down and would be up for helping out if you ever set up the thread!

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
dudedudedude about the onexone idea: that would be so awesome and fantastic~ I just hope enough people will have an interest to participate? (then again, even if it's only us utilizing something like that then eff yea it's a success~)
otherwise, I'm totally down and would be up for helping out if you ever set up the thread!
ashdfioasho if you helped me start it, I would be super grateful! ;w; (Hopefully people do take advantage of it; 1x1 RPs are always totes awesome~) I'll shoot you a message about it! c: Otherwise, I'll start working on something >0< Maybe it can go up on its own, rather than with the poll and such? (if that makes sense ashdiofasho ;A;)

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
YAAAAAY AWESOME IDEA C:

When you say one x one partners, Does that mean you can have a RP between two people only? I know a long time ago, you couldn't do that. If the rule has changed, I think that's a pretty sweet idea! :D

I don't have much to contribute to this thread, besides having a question.

The only other thing that comes to mind, is that I don't like it when the creators don't know where their own story is going. Something I've noticed a few times. And I think thats part of the problem. I'm not saying they can't have regular lives, but I think it's important to post more than once in the rp to keep the next events of the story coming.

Please don't flame me for this! I'm trying to help! :3

Story Keeper

Anxious Writer
Awards
Sending out my soul to worlds more beautiful
Well, everyone has some good ideas from what I seen. A couple of rps where there's no templates and looser in strictness does sound like it might help, especially for the newcomers and may even help some of the older, more experienced members feel less pressured into needing to always come up with really good character. Maybe even implement a bit of a buddy system into the threads to so that way if someone has to leave for a little while, for example several weeks on end, and if that member is interacting with someone, the other person isn't waiting for them and being part of the reason the RP starts slowing down. *I'm guilty of slowing an RP and others down when life gets in the way so I've often thought of that kinda thing*

Sorry if that came out as a jumbled mess, but it's the best thing that I can think of at the moment.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Maybe even implement a bit of a buddy system into the threads to so that way if someone has to leave for a little while, for example several weeks on end, and if that member is interacting with someone, the other person isn't waiting for them and being part of the reason the RP starts slowing down. *I'm guilty of slowing an RP and others down when life gets in the way so I've often thought of that kinda thing*

I've actually started to do that myself and it is present in the KHE sign-up thread. A form of limited powerplay that allows a roleplayer to move their "buddy's" character along when its owner has been away, but not allow them to make any major choices.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
By less lengthy posts do you mean I can now type just 2,499 words instead of 2,500? Ouo

Awards
ashdfioasho if you helped me start it, I would be super grateful! ;w; (Hopefully people do take advantage of it; 1x1 RPs are always totes awesome~) I'll shoot you a message about it! c: Otherwise, I'll start working on something >0< Maybe it can go up on its own, rather than with the poll and such? (if that makes sense ashdiofasho ;A;)

I'll help! I'll be preoccupied for the next week or so because of finals, but after that I'm much more available!

heyheyhey wanna move our 1x1 to the roleplaying section? yknow just to introduce the one-on-one style of roleplaying to the community or something? if not, we can still continue ours through PMs! 8D

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
oh hai i am the worst at replies lulz

I'm going to leave it open for a little long for any more suggestions. (Sorry about the delay ;0;) It'll probably be open until about 5 - 8 EST, so leave any other suggestions that you might have for the poll, and I'll put up the poll thread later tonight. Thank you so much for all of the suggestions so far! ;w;

When you say one x one partners, Does that mean you can have a RP between two people only? I know a long time ago, you couldn't do that. If the rule has changed, I think that's a pretty sweet idea! :D
Yup! I don't see why there would be a rule against it, but it would probably be a thread to find partners and the RPs would take place over PM or VMs. (Though, if they could take place on the forum, that would be awesome! ;w;)

The only other thing that comes to mind, is that I don't like it when the creators don't know where their own story is going. Something I've noticed a few times. And I think thats part of the problem. I'm not saying they can't have regular lives, but I think it's important to post more than once in the rp to keep the next events of the story coming.

Please don't flame me for this! I'm trying to help! :3
It's fine, don't worry! C: It's supah helpfuuuul~

That is a really good idea; even if the RPs' creators just had something small in mind for where the story was going, so it can progress without them if they get busy, then it would be far better than just leaving it open-ended. I leave my RPs open-ended, since it leaves more room for plot twists and neat ideas, but I have time to still keep up with it. Some people can't, so it would be a good thing for them to add.

Well, everyone has some good ideas from what I seen. A couple of rps where there's no templates and looser in strictness does sound like it might help, especially for the newcomers and may even help some of the older, more experienced members feel less pressured into needing to always come up with really good character. Maybe even implement a bit of a buddy system into the threads to so that way if someone has to leave for a little while, for example several weeks on end, and if that member is interacting with someone, the other person isn't waiting for them and being part of the reason the RP starts slowing down. *I'm guilty of slowing an RP and others down when life gets in the way so I've often thought of that kinda thing*

Sorry if that came out as a jumbled mess, but it's the best thing that I can think of at the moment.
Good idea! Maybe this could be something that happens in each RP or is referenced in a thread or something, but there could definitely be a buddy system program. Just not quite sure how to bring it into the forums... hmmm...

I'll help! I'll be preoccupied for the next week or so because of finals, but after that I'm much more available!

heyheyhey wanna move our 1x1 to the roleplaying section? yknow just to introduce the one-on-one style of roleplaying to the community or something? if not, we can still continue ours through PMs! 8D
nah it's cool mateeeee C: just let me know when you're done and i'll message you! ;w;

THAT WOULD BE COOL AHHHHH, I'm just not sure if it's possible ;0; But it would be a supah awesome way to introduce everyone to the idea! :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back