• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Hello Everybody!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

phoenixmiko

Awards
Hello, everyone! My name is phoenixmiko. I'm from the UK. I like anime and manga and enjoy learning about Japanese culture. I can speak Japanese, French and Spanish in addition to my mother tongue because I love languages. Horses are my favourite animal and I used to go riding regularly as a child and a teenager. It became too expensive so I sadly had to give it up. Other than reading fiction and horse books, my hobbies include creative writing (particularly fantasy stories), singing, drawing in manga style, watching anime, films, reading and the odd JRPG.

I only very recently became a Kingdom Hearts fan. This is how it came about.

I had heard of the series before getting into the games but did not know where to start and was daunted by the sheer number of entries. However, my college friends encouraged me to try the series nonetheless by playing a game I did have the console for so my late teens marked my first foray into the series via giving Days a go on the DS. My college friends said that Days could be a good place to start because the main character does not know much about what is going on at first either; Roxas turned out to be a good audience substitute for me. Unfortunately, I had to put the game down after racking up some hours because I found the pacing of the narrative to be glacial and the mission format grating.

It was not until I received on the collections for PS3 two years ago that I attempted a second time to get into Kingdom Hearts. I tried the first game and got to Deep Jungle but was having difficulty with platforming and the battle system and had to stop there. Although I was used to real time battles thanks to being a Tales fan, I found the battle system in Kingdom Hearts 1 to be clunky and somewhat unwieldy at that time so I decided to try Birth By Sleep instead, having heard that it was a prequel and that the fighting in the series improved in later games. I chose Aqua first back then, not knowing the proper order in which to complete the characters' stories and discovered that despite finding the command format harder than KH1's battle system, fighting was a lot smoother and more enjoyable. I did not go further than the Castle of Dreams though because I was not sure whether the series truly was for me or not.

The third time is the charm though. I know now that I did not try enough of either of those games to truly determine whether Kingdom Hearts was worth getting into. I was also not aware that all of the games were connected and part of the overall Dark Seeker saga. I remedied this by playing the 1.5+2.5 collection on PS4 after getting it for Christmas last year. I bought 2.8 for myself at the beginning of this year once I realised how much I was enjoying the games. I played on beginner mode for every entry. It took me five months to completely catch up on the story in order to be ready for Kingdom Hearts 3. During that time, I watched KHX and Union X cutscenes and read wiki entries, interviews and some translations from the ultimanias just to be sure I covered everything story wise and had no lingering questions about the lore. I adore fantastical games and stories with deep lore and worldbuilding so it was fun to do. I am keeping up with plot updates for Union X which are relevant to KH3 via the Internet after hearing that the international version will be behind even after the third game releases while playing through the app at my own pace.

I am loving the overall story so far and am hyped to see it all come together in KH3. As a new Kingdom Hearts fan, I look forward to chatting with other people here about the series!

Soldier

Awards
Welcome to the forums miko! (can i call you miko?) hope you enjoy your stay! yeah Days can be a bit stale in story, but its the best game for multiplayer in my opinion!
Oh and please read the FAQ if you haven't already, its to the right of the WELCOME.

phoenixmiko

Awards
You can call me Miko. It's fine. Thank you for the welcome!

I liked the story of Days but the plot seemed to take a long time to get to the interesting parts, plus the mission format broke it up further and made the narrative feel even slower. That is why I was happy when I saw that it was in the form of cutscenes in the PS4 collection.

I will be sure to take a look at the FAQ so thank you for letting me know.

Back