• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Hearts of Twilight: Prelude to Darkness

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonstar1715

Website
dragonstar1715.deviantart.com
Hey guys, yes its another Hearts of Twilight story, Frozen Fate and me are both working together on this so yeah...

This story will tell of how Xonic became to be known as the 'King of Darkness' so it serves as a kind of bridging story, but enough about that here's Chapter One

Darkness…

We know not where it came from or what it does, only that there are those who are either for it, against it or standing in between. For me, this was a problem for many years, as a denizen of twilight I had to keep balance in my heart.

For many years I had chosen to use darkness, but used them for good to keep that balance in check. However, because of my need to use it, I knew that it was only a matter of time before it would take over my heart completely. Little did I realize just how soon that was going to happen.

Hearts of Twilight: Prelude to Darkness

Chapter One: 2 years later…

It has been two years since I last battled my evil brother Dartanian, however I do not fault him for turning out the way he did. Our parents, back when my name was Nico, separated Dartanian and me from each other, because each could not stand the sight of each other anymore.

I sensed that something about that caused his heart to break, causing him to become what we know as a half-heart; beings that only have half a heart and only one side to their personality, which unfortunately for Dartanian, was his evil side.

He formed a group called the Order of Shadows, made up of those who also only carry half of their original selves with them. It was three years ago that we first met face-to-face after our long separation, but instead of greetings and time to reminisce, he unleashed an assault on the worlds.

This was in an attempt to claim Kingdom Hearts, the heart of all worlds, this so he could become himself again and also use it’s powers to control all worlds under his rule.

We managed to defeat him, but at the expense of a comrade, and one of my best friends Femix... If that wasn’t enough, he also caused another one of my closest friends Draco, to lose his memory, a case of amnesia he would suffer for a year.

However just as that time came around, the worst news was coming, something that I didn’t even see. Dartanian had returned to seek revenge on us. Again we set out on a journey and managed to defeat him again, but at the expense of Draco’s father and I almost lost Draco again.

Draco was emotionally scarred by that incident and is something I don’t think will go away any time soon. All that pain… all that suffering, all because our parents could never see eye-to-eye. Maybe things would’ve been different if they didn’t decide to separate.

I keep thinking how things would’ve been if that hadn’t happened. But no one can change the past, so we have to live with what we have. I still have my friends, especially Draco; he has been very supportive of me ever since the second war ended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Xonic… Xonic!” Draco yelled, “Huh?” I said as I snapped back to reality. “You all right Xonic? You looked like you were having a nightmare or something” Draco said concerned.

It’s true, I still have haunting memories of all our encounters and the awful things he did, even at night in the comfort of my own home. “Sorry Draco, must’ve dozed off” I replied apologetically.

“He still giving you problems even in the afterlife?” Draco asked, “Afterlife? I doubt he’s dead, I still feel his presence, it’s faint, but it’s there,” I said. “You sure?” Draco asked in an uneasy tone, “I don’t know, maybe it’s just me…”

“Come on Xonic, cheer up” Draco said in an enthusiastic tone, I only replied with silence. “You still beating yourself up because of my dad dying?” Draco asked in a concerned tone again.

“Somehow I feel responsible for your Dad’s death, I still remember how heartbroken you were. Worse still I thought you were gone forever after Dartanian tried to kill you” I said in a slightly depressed tone.

“Come on Xonic! That’s been and gone, besides I still see him in my sleep sometimes because his heart fused with mine” Draco said reassuringly. Draco was very supportive besides the fact that his Dad died at the hands of my brother; I wonder how it is that he can be so positive?

We headed into town; Draco thought that some shopping might keep my mind off things. We wandered, looking at the various shops and stores. Just then Elle came running towards us, Elle, my self-proclaimed girlfriend. “Hey guys! What’s up?” Elle said in the most enthusiastic voice I’ve ever heard.

“Not much Elle, Xonic’s feeling a little down, so I’m trying to take off his mind off things by taking round the shops” Draco said. “Oh cool, could I tag along? There’s a new bracelet I’ve been wanting to buy” Elle responded in her ever-enthusiastic voice.

So with Elle tagging along, we continued to browse the shops before Draco shouted us a treat by buying some sea-salt ice cream. Making our way to the clock tower where we usually sat, Draco and Elle began to eat their ice creams.

I just sat there, my ice cream melting from the heat that the sun was producing. “Hey Xonic, eat your ice cream before it slides off the end” Draco said. I finally had enough, I got up and said “Look guys, I’m gonna head home now” .

“Well you better rest up, remember that we’re going to Disney Castle with Sora and Co. tomorrow for a feast” Draco said. There was going to be a dinner in commemoration of those who had died in the fight for good and the heroes of those who defeated the darkness… us.

We said our goodbyes and I headed back to the mansion in which I had taken up residence. My old home had too many painful memories. As I walked through the woods that lead to the mansion, I heard a voice say “Feeling a little… left out are we?”

Looking around I searched for the source of the voice, before laying my eyes on a man, he had shoulder length black hair, and he was clothed in black garments. There was a scar noticeable on his right cheek and forehead. He also had a chin patch.

I quickly drew my dark blade and said “What do you want?”, “Nothing, just to gaze at one of the great heroes to be honored tomorrow” the man said.
“Just how do you know that? Who are you?” I yelled in a rather demanding tone.

“Me? Call me Chauvelin Le Blanc, As for how I know what you know, that’s a secret” the man said with a smirk on his face. “You know, you’re really starting to piss me off,” I said, my voice becoming more annoyed with every second that went by with this guy.

“Oh dear, so sorry, I suppose I’ll take my leave then” Le Blanc said as he started to walk off. “Oh but one thing…” he added, “What is it” I asked. “In your current state, you’ll never know the full extent of the power that darkness can give you, if you really want to experience the full extent of darkness… I can show you the way” Le Blanc said before disappearing into the shadows.

“Pfft, what does he know?” I said, dismissing what he had said before continuing to the mansion. I felt tired and decide to just head for bed. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I thought about what that man Le Blanc had said “If you really want to experience the full extent of darkness… I can show you the way”, I just shook my head and pulled the covers over me.

As I lay there I thought about what he said about me being one of the ‘Great Heroes to be honored’. I thought to myself, “Hero? I’m no hero; I couldn’t even save my best friend or even Draco’s father, I have no right to call myself a hero” before I finally fell asleep.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Yes, it is true. A collab involving Cal and your's truly. I won't be online whatsoever for 5 next next week, so if there's an update from me (since I'm next), expect it either this weekend (which isn't likely) or a week from now.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
Wow complex at first with my understanding of this but re-read this again and all, seems good! Anywho, can't wait to see more of your next chapter by the way, Dartanian, interesting name btw! The darkness...hmm....I must know more! O_O

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Thanks for your comments, sorafan.

I'm getting to work on Chapter 2 after I finish a chapter of a different fanfic. Unless Callum wants to add more to this.

Haku

<3
Wow a collab don't see many of these too often, but in this case the joined talents of both of you is an absolutely wonderful idea and this first chapter just proved how right I'am, great start!

Dragonstar1715

Website
FF: Nah I'm cool we can take turns, don't want to tak all the glory :p

SF1203: Appreciate the comment, Dartanian is an original character by Frozen, Hearts of Twlight and what I have done for Absolution's Reign should give you a idea of the story so far at least until I finish my story completely >.<

Cef: Sure I don't mind that name, D-Star... I like it XD

Haku: Thanks for the comment, always appreciate it, should be interesting how this story turns out

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
I know its been a while since I started this chapter, but I've been going through a lot lately with my family. I haven't been able to sit down for a while without getting bored of writing. I'm gonna finish the Shattered Regrets chaper before this, and then I'll finish this. I'll have more time since I'm done school now.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Chapter 2

I was dreaming horrific things yet again. Nothing seemed familiar in this dream. I thought it could possibly be a premonition of the future, or maybe for once my dream meant nothing.

Regardless of the meaning of this dream, Something was totally out of place. I was a grown man now, but for some reason, my hair was a long, icy shade of silver.I was wearing black and red armor, and I was wielding my Dark Blade. There were thousands of infantrymen behind me, who charged as I held up my sword. On the other side of the battlefield was a man I had never seen before leading a legion of troops and cavalry. He had long, way blond hair with a red headband keeping hair out of his eyes. He wore armor made out of the finest gold, and he bore a hefty sword of gold. Obviously, he was a king, or some other sort of royalty.

There was one thing that seemed out of place, though. I saw a few people who looked familiar on the side with the royal figure. For a split second, I thoguht I saw Draco and Elle charging at my troops.

'How,' I thought to myself, 'just how is it possible for me to fight against my best friend and the one I love at the same moment in time. This is just a sheerly outrageous dream.'

I charged toward the man in gold. He confronted me with great prestige and composure. "So... the King of Darkness is finally about to die..." he said.

I was in shock. But for some reason, I felt like it felt right. What a brilliant title for one who uses black magic to be called the King of Darkness. Finally, someone to use darkness for good. But, I also felt possessed with power. I immediately struck my sword in his direction, and noticed three letters on his torso; SVS.

I thought SVS could stand for his name. Seemed highly logical.

SVS blocked my strike with great balance and quickness. He countered with a slash-kick combo to my torso, which knocked me back a few feet. I threw my sword at him, striking his face and leaving a gash on his cheek. My sword was coming back like a boomerang, and I flipped over the man, grabbed my sword out of the air, and slashed his backside. The man fell to the ground in great pain. A pretty girl, about my age, noticed the fight. She charged over and began to cry by his side.

"Why Xonic? Why are you obsessed with violence? Hurting poor Stalgamin like that in a battle. He might not have a family yet, but I loved him so much," she said.

"You're against me hurting my opponent in battle. I didn't kill him yet. He is still breathing anyway. He is mortally wounded though," I replied.

"But, there is no reason to fight. Why not just work out an agreement?" she asked.

I laughed. "Surely you must be some peace loving hippie. I can't work out something verbally. It is a sign of weakness and dishonor," I said.

Before the girl could say a word, a man began to fight me with a barrage of melee attacks. He shanked me with his blaster and began to knock my lights out. I managed to get a good look at the man. He was indeed Draco. "Draco... why are you against me in this war?" I asked in pain as I hit the ground.

He stood over my body with an angry glare. "You turned away from the good guys. From me. From Elle. You can't expect me to let you rule over the universe with great power for what is evil and unjust. We made a promise to never let anything like what Dartanian tried to happen again. You may have broken that promise, but I will adhere to it. Finish him off, Beemmer."

A man, who was obviously this Beemmer fellow, ran toward us with his katana. He swiftly slashed the sword against my neck.

I quickly woke up, grasping my neck. I finally remembered, it was only a dream. But, I was still jittering from the randomness of it all. I knew the promise Draco and I made after we defeated Dartanian a second time, that we would never let the universe be ruled by darkness or any force ever again. The balance of the universe would lead to pure happiness and harmony.

I decided to go for a walk to get my mind off of everything. I went along by the shops, where I was with Draco and Elle earlier in the day. But, to my surprise, there was one person there.

"Hello, Chauvelin. Stalking me again or something?" I questioned.

"Not stalking. Just trying to teach you a lesson in using your darkness to its fullest potential." Chauvelin replied.

"Maybe some other time. But I have one question for you... What do you know about dreams, premonitions, fortune telling, stuff like that?"

Chauvelin stroked his chin. "Hmm... This is hard to explain. But usually with great warriors like yourself, they are visions of the past, present, future, afterlife, and such.

"Well, I have had visions of the past and afterlife before. I'm not so worried about the present as I am with the future. I just had the worst dream..."

"Explain," Chauvelin demanded.

"Well, I was a grown man. My hair color changed. I was leading some army against another. The man leading the other army had gold armor, sword, and golden hair. He was no match for my swordsmanship, but Draco and Elle, my two closest friends, were on the other side with that man. And, they referred to me as the King of Darkness. That's everything.... wait. The man in gold was named Stalgamin, and the man Draco told to finish me off was named Beemmer. I don't know why, but I feel I know those names."

Chauvelin jumped back. "You were thinking of Prince Stalgamin Vinco Shea. He is around your age. His father used to have golden hair, but it is slowly turned gray. That army has been put into the hands of Boris Beemmer, the king's best friend. However, Boris too is growing old. His son has been predestined as the general of Zimora. His name is Bonzi, and he too is your age."

I was amazed by what I heard from Le Blanc. "How do you know everything about this?"

Chauvelin laughed. "I am a scout. My database can tell you almost anything. It shows me clips of battles from your wars with Dartanian. I can tell you where to go for your next mission to practice. I can tell you almost anything you need to know about the universe. My super computer can hold and gain the most information in the world. It is irreplaceable."

I was in awe at this database. "Please, I need to talk with Stalgamin. The king, not the prince. Where is Zimora?"

"I'm sorry, but no one except the descendants of those who have been on Zimora since the beginning know the location of Zimora. It was a cloak around it, so most people haven't even heard of the planet. But, I will try to get in contact with King Stalgamin. He could explain your dream better than I can." Chauvelin explained.

"How will I get ahold of you again?" I asked.

"You have a phone, right?" He asked.

"Of course. I'm a teenager. We all have cell phones," I said. I gave him my phone so he could put his number in it.

"Call me whenever you have a question. I looked up your number in your Phone Information menu and memorized it. I'll call you with updates. Now get to sleep, you have a feast in your honor tomorrow," he said. He gave me back my phone, and began to walk off. "I'll see you again. I know where to find you," he finished as he walked off into the shadows.

I walked back toward my home to get some sleep. Tomorrow is a big day, and knowing Draco and Elle, I'm going to get a nice wake up call. I just needed to forget about that dream for now, and avoid telling them about it.

Last edited:

Dragonstar1715

Website
Chapter 3: A Heroic Occassion / Doubting Thyself

The same dream hit me that night, it played out in the exact same fashion. Me clad in black and red armour, the knight in Golden armour who I now knew as Stalgamin, Draco beating me to the ground and the katana speeding towards my neck. I woke up suddenly clutching my neck in some pain and looked at a nearby clock, it was 2am and was dark out. I simply laid back down and fell asleep rather easily.

"Xonic..." A voice said, I simply ignored it and tried to go to sleep again, "Xonic..." it called again, it was rather annoying as I tried to block it out.

"XONIC WAKE UP"! the voice yelled, my eyes flew open as I saw Draco sitting next to my bed.

"Ugh Draco, what do you want?" I groaned.

"Get up you lazy idiot, it's almost 10 am!" he said laughing.

"Get off it, the feast isn't until this afternoon" I said in an annoyed tone.

"Well the trips at least 2 hours and we need to be there by 3pm!" Draco explained

"Fine, just give me a sec..." I reluctantly agreed.

"Just get your butt in gear, we don't want to be late do we?" Draco said as he walked out of the room.

I struggled to get myself out of bed and then did my usual morning routine, and through it all, I kept thinking of two things: What is this dream telling me and who exactly is this Chauvelin character?

I made my way out the door to the sun shining in the sky, for some reason it felt kind of depressing. But I kept walking into the woods, to the large space where everyone seemed to be waiting. "Well look who's here!" Mega commented.

"Shut it, I'm not in the mood" I snapped.

"Xonic are you feeling okay?" Draco asked in some concern.

"It's none of your business, I've got a lot on my mind right now" I said to Draco.

"Hey, hey! No need to take it out on Mega and Draco, Xonic" Elle interrupted.

I stood there in silence for a moment before Draco broke it by saying, "Well let's get going, we don't need to be late now!". We all boarded a rather large gummi ship and set course as we took off or Disney Castle. Everyone started to move around and talk as the Gummi ship sped on in Autopilot. Everyone seemed to be excited for the event, but I wasn't. I didn't consider myself to be a hero, not in the least. My past kept haunting me about my brother's crazed attacks on the worlds and also of all those who had been lost in the war, especially Femix.

Femix was my first true friend and we were especially close, I considered her my girlfriend at times, I felt like I was on top of the world when she was around. Then 'he' came: Bleh. Bleh had come to our world some time ago and quickly became friends with us. Unfortunately this was just a ruse, a trick, he was actually a spy for my brother and betrayed us all. Then it happened, Femix was taken from me by Bleh's blade, and I felt my heart shatter. I tracked him down and in all my might, killed him in cold blood. But something still felt empty in my heart, something I would never be able to replace, a close friend that gave my life some meaning.

Draco came over and sat down in front of me, "You okay?" he asked.

"If you mean okay as in do I feel comfortable being responsible for the death of two people, then yes, I'm perfectly okay" I replied.

"Xonic, you need to move on from that, try and forget the past and look to the future,” Draco said trying to console me.

"The past makes us who we are, I know this for a fact, and I know that there is no running from it" I said as I looked at him in the eyes.

"Xonic, it was not your fault" Draco said to me.

"And how do you know that? I had the power to prevent Femix and your dad dying! It was MY brother that willed that they both die! And yet I couldn't do anything, nothing..." I retorted.

"Look, all we can do is live our lives and make sure that their sacrifices weren't in vain..." Draco tried to say before I interrupted.

"Femix, was my first true friend! She helped and supported me when we were abandoned! She made me feel like I had a heart for the first time! Her sacrifice was in vain, because Dartanian came back, and then unleashed hell again! Sure we stopped him again, but at what cost? Your father's life and almost yours!" I said angrily.

Draco was slightly taken back by this and said "Xonic, we're friends, and we made a promise that what happened would never happen again. We're your friends Xonic, don't push us away because of something you couldn't control". I turned my head away as Draco walked back to his seat, I sat in silence as a tear ran down my face.

We arrived at the castle and exited into the Gummi ship bay, walking up a set of stairs, we saw that Sora and Co had already arrived before us. "Hey guys, how's things been?" Sora said in his usual cheery voice.

"Oh not bad, there hasn't been much going on besides the regular patrols around Twilight town" Draco replied.

The next half an hour to an hour went by as everyone started to reminisce about what had been happening in the last year. I stood in the shadows of a nearby hedge as I watched everyone socialize. A presence was then felt near, opposite to me, Chauvelin appeared out of a dark portal.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Why to gaze at all the heroes that defeated the mighty Dartanian" he chuckled.

"Idiot" I remarked.

"Awww, the hero still can't escape the darkness of his past? Does it drive you mad, like a dagger in your back that you simply cannot remove?" He said mockingly.

"You're one to talk, you practically reek of Darkness" I replied sourly.

"But I do not regret my past decisions, I do not doubt my place in this game that people called life. I could help you relieve yourself of those painful memories" Chauvelin said in his ever annoying tone.

"Thanks, but I'll pass" I replied sharply.

"Very well, but just know that I can be the one to help you find your true place" he said as he disappeared.

Just then, Elle ran over, apparently seeing me talking to someone by how she asked me "Hey Xonic, who were you talking to?"

"No one" I bluntly replied as we headed for the group how had gathered around. King Mickey and Queen Minnie along with Court Wizard Donald, Goofy: Captain of the world's army and Daisy: Donald's apparent girlfriend.

"Well if it ain't Sora and the rest of the gang! It's nice to see that you are all looking well" Mickey commented as he looked at all of us, "Well don't just stand there! We'll give you a tour of the castle!"

We followed him as he showed us the extensive length of the castle and also the history of the castle and his ancestors who all seemed to be important in some matter or another. Time flew by as we walked the halls of the castle, and by the time the time the tour was over, it was time to head off to the feast. We walked into an extravagant dining room and sat down the table as the food was brought out to us. I sat down eating as others talked with each other and Sora was speaking to the king, as well Goofy and Donald.

Once dinner and dessert had been passed out and eaten, Mickey had stood up; everyone obviously knew that a speech was coming. He started off by thanking us for being here and then went into some detail of the struggles that had been fought in the last two wars, and also about the downfall of the Order of Shadows and Organization XIII. He started to also recognize the people who died fighting for the freedom of all worlds and how they would always be remembered.

A surprise then came, paintings were then all revealed to us of ourselves as a tribute to us vanquishing the darkness. I saw that I was in a heroic pose, and for some reason it just didn’t sit well with me

As the speeches continued and we were all asked to give our own, my mind was elsewhere. The dream kept replaying in my mind, was it a premonition of something? Am I really going to end up turning on my friends? Give it all up... just to be the King of Darkness?

"Xonic... Xonic, snap out of it!" Elle yelled. I snapped back to reality where everyone seemed to be staring at me, I was speechless in a sense.

"I- I'm sorry" I tried to say apologetically.

"Well you better be! Just because you're a hero now, doesn't mean that you can zone out at any time and completely ignore everyone, you have responsibilities to uphold now!” Donald said annoyed.

At this moment, I felt my self crack and shatter before I slammed my fist on the table, splitting some of the wood. "Hero? You think I'm some kind of hero? It was Dartanian, MY brother that caused this hell to be unleashed in the first place! I had the power to save Femix and Draco's father, but I couldn't even save them, even you Draco, sure you're here now, but I almost lost you forever!" I shouted.

"All this chaos, all this madness, all because of our parents and the fact that I did nothing to try and prevent it! You're calling me a hero? Cause I sure don't feel like one, I don't even know why the hell I came here in the first place!" I yelled at the top of my voice in pure anger and rage as I headed for the door and slammed it hard, almost sending it sailing off its hinges.

I stormed down the hall and heading for the courtyard, I fell over and tears started to stream down my face in pure agony and anguish. "I'm no hero, I couldn't even save my best friend..." I sobbed as I started to punch the ground in anger. Draco and Elle both walked into the courtyard and saw me on the ground as I damned myself for not being strong enough to save Femix or Draco’s father.

"Xonic you okay?" Draco asked me.

"What the hell do you think?" I said depressingly.

“Look I know it’s hard, but you need to stop blaming yourself,” Draco said as he knelt down next to me.

“She died in my arms Draco, she took her last breath and died, in MY arms, I couldn’t save her…” I sobbed again.

Elle came over and held me close as my emotions got the better of me. They went back to the dinner, but I sat on a tall hedge and looked to the stars and the moon. My mind kept replaying the memories of my times with Femix, but still ending with her as she died next to a river in my arms.

“Femix… forgive me,” I whispered as I headed in the ship. Using the keys that I had stolen from Mega moments before, I started up the ship and started to take off, I didn’t know where I was going, but I just needed some time to myself.

“Maybe I should contact Chauvelin…” I said to myself, it seemed as good a time as any to do so and I reached for my phone and started to dial his number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back