• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Have You Ever Wondered...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

iheartriku

Website
www.xanga.com
Why in some disney movies (sometimes) the main character only has one parent or that another parent died or left...or also that the main character is an orphan. What is the significance behind this? Maybe there isnt really one at all but, I just wanted to know everyones input on this.

Oh yeah, Here are some examples of what i mean:
Little Mermaid- One dad, a bunch of sisters....
Chicken little- one dad...
Pocahontas- mom died...care for by dad...
Cinderella- Mom died...Dad remarried...something happened to dad...cared for my stepmom...
Belle(beauty and the beast)- Mom????...dad is old....
Nemo- Mom was eaten...

SharinganBlue

AMV Maker
Its simple really...parents usually don't have a huge role only the main characters. I think its just a conicidence, but really...does it matter?

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
iheartriku said:
Why in some disney movies (sometimes) the main character only has one parent or that another parent died or left...or also that the main character is an orphan. What is the significance behind this? Maybe there isnt really one at all but, I just wanted to know everyones input on this.

Oh yeah, Here are some examples of what i mean:
Little Mermaid- One dad, a bunch of sisters....
Chicken little- one dad...
Pocahontas- mom died...care for by dad...
Cinderella- Mom died...Dad remarried...something happened to dad...cared for my stepmom...
Belle(beauty and the beast)- Mom????...dad is old....
Nemo- Mom was eaten...

Darling, you DO realise this is happens in so many stories, as well as Disney ones. (LoTR, Harry Potter, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Old Kingdom Trilogy, Oliver Twist, Jane Eyre etc) It's the classic thing to do. It leaves the child free to prance off on their ickle adventures, without the restraints imposed as part of an ordered family life.

The Jungle Book as well, James and the Giant Peach....they never tire of it.

iheartriku

Website
www.xanga.com
OKay then in movies in General!

SharinganBlue said:
Its simple really...parents usually don't have a huge role only the main characters. I think its just a conicidence, but really...does it matter?
No really i just thought of it when i was watching Chicken little...

SH_Brat

I always thought they did this because they wanted to help other children who relate to this situation by showing how the main character is able to deal and cope with it. You know for the childs development. Heck, a lot of people(well, maybe not a whole lot) Are always complimenting The Lion King because it helped their child/childern deal with the death of a family member.
" I would rather entertain and hope someone learned something, than teach and hoped they were entertained." - Walt Disney.

iheartriku

Website
www.xanga.com
SH_Brat said:
I always thought they did this because they wanted to help other children who relate to this situation by showing how the main character is able to deal and cope with it. You know for the childs development. Heck, a lot of people(well, maybe not a whole lot) Are always complimenting The Lion King because it helped their child/childern deal with the death of a family member.
" I would rather entertain and hope someone learned something, than teach and hoped they were entertained." - Walt Disney.
I never heard of anyone complimenting lion king but okay! So what im getting from mostly everybody is that movies are made to relate to the general people and entertain them in the process...Correct?

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
yeah, it happens a lot... i loved the lion king, i bawled my eyes out when mufasa died!
bambi was supposed to convey a message too i think, it's something about respecting nature... it's so depressing though, they can't leave that poor baby deer without his mommy...
there's always a death involved in these films too....

SH_Brat

iheartriku said:
I never heard of anyone complimenting lion king but okay! So what im getting from mostly everybody is that movies are made to relate to the general people and entertain them in the process...Correct?

Yep. Actually, if you look at it in the right way, all the Disney films have meaning. Well, almost all of'em. People think their fun to watch. Why else would people watch them? The ones that have meaning, sometimes done on purpose some not, Have something to do with life, right? I don't know. It could just be me.

Dark-Disciple

The 5th Apocalyptic Rider
Riding with Famine, Death, Pestilence and Destruct
Well, the Idea that I would agree with the most is the one placed by Enchanted Rose. Yeah, they might do it in order to give more freedome for them the main chracter to do somethings, while still at least having one parent to give moral values and character to the "character itself....."

( That was a lot of "character" right?" and yeah, TO kill a mokingbird IS a perfect example.... That book was pretty good...)

Zaraki

disneys just weird like that they want you to sympathize(spelling?) some of the characters....
OFFTOPIC: Heres an interesting fact about old disney movies did you guys know that there are secret sex messages in some of the movies like in aladin during the balcony scene when the tiger was biting aladin he starts to mumble to himself and when jasmine starts walking twoards him he says take your clothes off.... there more but thats kinda weird if you ask me.....

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
nega sora said:
OFFTOPIC: Heres an interesting fact about old disney movies did you guys know that there are secret sex messages in some of the movies like in aladin during the balcony scene when the tiger was biting aladin he starts to mumble to himself and when jasmine starts walking twoards him he says take your clothes off.... there more but thats kinda weird if you ask me.....
Did it realy? Or were you just thinking that, and thought you heard it?

ONTOPIC: I agree with it being for the sake of drama. People-like-drama. It's a simple, yet efective rule. You notice that Sora dosen't seem to have parents either(his mom makes a cameo in the manga, but not dear ol' dad)?

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
OFFTOPIC: There are hidden messages in all the disney films, particularly the older ones which Walt Disney himself supervised, as it was his intention.

ONTOPIC: It kind of gets a bit cliched after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back