• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Has anyone mastered the egg cracking minigame?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hoarse_Phuqer

The mere thought of it fills me with despair and after dozens of fruitless attempts and wasted ingredients I though I might as well ask people who know more.

I didn't have an issue with the simpler recipes but the more expert ones are just frustrating. My question is, does it matter how hard and fast you press the shoulder buttons? Or is it all about the joysticks and nothing else? Or am I missing an entirely different mechanic?

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I don't know why people struggle with this one so much. I think I've messed up the egg cracking maybe once or twice total? But start with your thumbs on the joysticks and your fingers resting on the shoulder buttons. spread the joysticks slowly and then gently press down on the buttons when the swirls start happening. I think part of the problem is that people don't start with their fingers resting on the buttons so when they go to press it they accidentally jerk the joysticks out as they reposition/maneuver their hands causing the egg to be squished.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I unlocked the master chef trophy and I'm still not confident in my skill for this one.
Nothing is worse than ice cream beat from BBS though.

I think part of the problem is that people don't start with their fingers resting on the buttons so when they go to press it they accidentally jerk the joysticks out as they reposition/maneuver their hands causing the egg to be squished.
I can relate to this. Hoarse_Phuqer, see if this isn't your problem too.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I had the skills. I was getting perfect eggs for most of my playthrough. But after some point, I could no longer do it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I have perfect egg cracking skills from the get go. I messed up maybe twice because it was the first time I didn't know how to do it and the last time I messed up was because I had a twitchy hand.

I don't get why people have problems with this one. The pepper one is worse.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
My question is, does it matter how hard and fast you press the shoulder buttons? Or is it all about the joysticks and nothing else? Or am I missing an entirely different mechanic?
It's a bit of both: you have to move the joysticks slowly and then gently press the shoulder buttons. Too fast and hard for either and you break the egg. It took me a bit of trial and error to get the hang of it.

LostArtist

Awards
I have perfect egg cracking skills from the get go. I messed up maybe twice because it was the first time I didn't know how to do it and the last time I messed up was because I had a twitchy hand.

lol for me the god forsaken egg one is the worst, because for a while I thought I had it. Then it just started to give me 'good'. And Idk it feels very random to me. I feel like I've been getting worse at it too.

to me the pepper one is not bad because it's clear when you have to shake it, to me the visuals are a much clearer cue for the timing. The egg one is urhddsjfa;dfjd;agjaff;fajfa;fj; fljkas;lkdf

shady543

Awards
lol at most people struggling with the egg, meanwhile I'm in the corner and can't for the life of me get the pepper mini game right and fail every time.

Awards
East of England, Buried in a Void of Non-Existence
I never had any trouble with breaking the eggs, and it's really hard to imagine anyone else struggling with it. It's really not that difficult. My struggles came from my first few attempts at the seasoning one before I got the rhythm down, and the entirety of my experience with the flambe one.

But I feel like people are forgetting that the whole point of the Gourmand's Ring is to make the cooking mini-games even easier, and you get two! If you're struggling, just go ahead and equip one.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
90% of the cooking games were easy, especially the egg. The only one I struggled with was pouring the wine. I found it hard to find that sweet spot between pouring in the right amount and setting the kitchen on fire :/

Awards
90% of the cooking games were easy, especially the egg. The only one I struggled with was pouring the wine. I found it hard to find that sweet spot between pouring in the right amount and setting the kitchen on fire :/
This was the one for me, too. I kept flicking my thumb reflexively right as I hit the sweet spot. After a while I decided to equip the Gourmand Ring and it became much easier.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The egg is the only one that bothered me and that was only initially when I didn't realize you needed to press the shoulder buttons to make the yoke come out. I assumed the first command would crack the egg and the second command would do something else like with the other recipes. Ever since I realized that, I haven't really had a problem getting Excellent for any of the recipes. Of course, I make a save file for when I only have enough ingredients for 1 or 2 tries of something. Getting more ingredients from those Pooh games takes forever.
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
I didn't know the Gourmand's Ring would make the recipes even easier. Good to know.

Meow Wow

Awards
I've never had that much of a problem with the eggs. For me, it's mainly the wine pouring and sometimes the pepper shaking one that gets me. I'm always pouring too much wine or not enough. The pepper one is just a pain to get started.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Hahaha. User asks for help. Instead of suggestions, board responds with, "WELL, I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH-" Just an observation.

OP, I second that it does help to have your index fingers resting gently on the L1/R1. I think pre-perching them makes for a softer tap on the controller. Good luck with your smooth moves.

Deffo opposite for me. But I'm so used to timing and aligning circles in the history of KH minigames that it felt familiar.

Awards
Hahaha. User asks for help. Instead of suggestions, board responds with, "WELL, I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH-" Just an observation.
Not an incorrect one. I got so caught up in the actual topic title and the responses that I forgot the OP's question... whoops. Sorry. D:

To try and actually answer the question: it is indeed all about the sticks. I don't think any of the pressable buttons, aside from L2 or R2, are sensitive to how hard or soft you push them. So long as you actually crack the egg before the timer runs out (you can see the hourglass on the table in the corner of the screen), it shouldn't matter how slowly or quickly you move the sticks. And they give you a reasonable amount of time - as reasonable as you might need to carefully crack an egg - to do it.

The way I found it easiest to just look around Sora instead of at the egg. You can tell when you're reaching the sweet spots because the background darkens. Even if you just see a couple of the sparkles you'll get a Good at the very least. The Gourmand's Ring (I know this is the third time in this topic alone that I've mentioned it, I won't do it again) will extend the range in which you can get Excellents, so you get much more to work with if you're struggling with any of them. If you haven't got one from raising the Bistro's rank yet, you can get a second one by chance from the mailbox in Twilight Town; it's best to stockpile a dozen Prize Postcards or so and save before trying, in case you get any dud rewards.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
It’s weird for me. When I beat all the Disney worlds I went to the Bistro and aced all of them with ease. Then the next day, I struggled with all of them. One day they’re all super easy, the next I can’t even use a controller.

Back