• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Haley Joel Osment Comments on Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
HJO's voice changes a lot, I notice. Young Sora sounds completely different from older Sora, and it's really awkward to hear Old Sora's voice come out of young Sora's mouth in Re:COM. Either Haley needs better direction, Square Enix needs better editors, or they need another actor entirely to distinguish between the two drastically different voices.

I don't know if HJO needed better direction, but I do think the Re:CoM case could have been handled better. They didn't even lip-sync the cutscenes, which I think is just as distracting as Sora's voice because it required the actors to truncate their lines in an unnatural manner.

But anyway, by Re:CoM, HJO's voice has... how do you say it? Broken? Cracked? Either way, he wouldn't have been able to recreate the young-sounding voice he did in KH1. I think the closest he would have gotten would be similar to what we've heard in DDD, but still, it wasn't as young as his KH1 voice.

I can say this because I've tried emulating my younger self's voice and it sounded like a cat getting run over by a car.

sonic174

After listening to it again, you're right.

Much easier to transcribe when you're not trying to write gaming news articles behind your boss's back at work.

That makes sense as to why you miss heard it. But I find it weird no one else pointed it out

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
That makes sense as to why you miss heard it. But I find it weird no one else pointed it out
It's such a small difference that it's easy to miss. Anyone else who noticed probably didn't even care enough to mention it because it doesn't really matter, lol.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Of course, the only real reason that it's difficult to follow is because the series is portrayed out of order.

HJO's voice changes a lot, I notice. Young Sora sounds completely different from older Sora, and it's really awkward to hear Old Sora's voice come out of young Sora's mouth in Re:COM. Either Haley needs better direction, Square Enix needs better editors, or they need another actor entirely to distinguish between the two drastically different voices.

I think that's out of Haley's control. Once your voice drops there is no going back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some complaints about Sora's KH1 voice? These complaints being that Sora didn't sound like a fourteen year old boy? Cause I had the same issue, which is why I'm glad his voice changed from KH2 and onward

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some complaints about Sora's KH1 voice? These complaints being that Sora didn't sound like a fourteen year old boy? Cause I had the same issue, which is why I'm glad his voice changed from KH2 and onward

About that, it depends on where you are, really. Here in Asian countries, it's quite common for a fourteen-year-old to still have an "uncracked" voice. With KH being a Japanese game, I don't think that should have been an issue.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
About that, it depends on where you are, really. Here in Asian countries, it's quite common for a fourteen-year-old to still have an "uncracked" voice. With KH being a Japanese game, I don't think that should have been an issue.
It being a Japanese game is irrelevant.

HJO is American and at the time was going through PUBERTY. With puberty comes the joy of a cracking voice and there is nothing he could do to control that. Some people have worse experiences than others.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Idk if you guys have had the opportunity to but if you're curious enough, you can compare the original KH1 Japanese recordings and some ragtag clips of the Japanese VAs' current work. They used their regular voices for the characters and it hasn't changed after all these years.

Things happen differently for everyone. HJO's voice drop was just a more drastic change than others.

I think that's out of Haley's control. Once your voice drops there is no going back.

Yeah HJO didn't sound like a 14 year old boy because he was 13 when he recorded for KH1.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
It being a Japanese game is irrelevant.

In hindsight, you're right. Probably it would have been if we were talking about Irino, but we aren't.

Idk if you guys have had the opportunity to but if you're curious enough, you can compare the original KH1 Japanese recordings and some ragtag clips of the Japanese VAs' current work. They used their regular voices for the characters and it hasn't changed after all these years.

Things happen differently for everyone. HJO's voice drop was just a more drastic change than others.

I think she's explained it better than I did.

And in addition, the age at which one hits puberty varies from one individual to another; some as early as 13, some as late as 17 (which makes the complaint about Sora's voice not sounding like that of a fourteen-year-old sound like it was based purely on preference). Even after hitting puberty, some can still replicate the voice of their younger selves, while others, just like Sign said about HJO, can't because of the drastic drop.

That's why we have tenors, baritones, and basses.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I think she's explained it better than I did.

And in addition, the age at which one hits puberty varies from one individual to another; some as early as 13, some as late as 17 (which makes the complaint about Sora's voice not sounding like that of a fourteen-year-old sound like it was based purely on preference). Even after hitting puberty, some can still replicate the voice of their younger selves, while others, just like Sign said about HJO, can't because of the drastic drop.

That's why we have tenors, baritones, and basses.
Who is this in response to?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Who is this in response to?

It was in response to Swoosh's comment about, as I mentioned in parentheses, complaints regarding Sora's KH1 voice.

But of course, if you feel like I don't contribute and am starting to get irrelevant, I don't mind stopping here, and I'd like to apologise for that.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It was in response to Swoosh's comment about, as I mentioned in parentheses, complaints regarding Sora's KH1 voice.

But of course, if you feel like I don't contribute and am starting to get irrelevant, I don't mind stopping here, and I'd like to apologise for that.
I thought you were responding to me so I was confused and wanted to clarify, lol. Carry on!

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
I have an urge to say...this...must...resist...must...re...sist!
*GASP!*
HE said that him voice acting is one of the last stags of the process and he said it could be just this summer coming up which means Kingdom Hearts 3 might come out in Japan by then meaning the English version might come out as early as next fall!
*SQUEEL!!!*
However, I am not a fool and speculate that it will mean "later" but still to have that glimpse!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I have an urge to say...this...must...resist...must...re...sist!
*GASP!*
HE said that him voice acting is one of the last stags of the process and he said it could be just this summer coming up which means Kingdom Hearts 3 might come out in Japan by then meaning the English version might come out as early as next fall!
*SQUEEL!!!*
However, I am not a fool and speculate that it will mean "later" but still to have that glimpse!

Whoo! Calm down! It sounds like he just thinks it'll be this summer from his discussions with SE/Disney staff. xD Who knows what might really happen.

Kenzichi

Damn his voice got DEEP! It must pain him to sound like a 17 year old boy for all these spin-offs.

I'm hopeful Square will stick with Osment since his voice to me was what made Sora so charming and likable. Especially in the first game, his yells, chants, and overall performance (along with the Disney nostalgia sprinkled in) really was what made Kingdom Hearts for me!

I love his voice for Sora *w* I think he does such a good job as him. His voice is adorable haha~ All I know is that I would enjoy KH3 a WHOLE lot less if Osment didn't get to reprise his role as Sora. It would just not be the same! Of course I have no doubt that he'll have the chance to voice Sora again under regular circumstances, but we'll never know until the time comes :)

(I'm still laughing at the last thing he said in his interview lol.)

abriane

this guy is the only one who can voice Sora but despite this, he doesnt pretty much know of the series, "There's the gameboy one." you mean Chain of Memories right? nevertheless, i hope he return voicing Sora in 3 :redface:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
he doesnt pretty much know of the series, "There's the gameboy one." you mean Chain of Memories right?
It's better than some of the other VA's. David Gallagher said, nearing the release of Dream Drop Distance, he recorded a line for Young Xehanort in an upcoming game. He was referring to Birth by Sleep, a game that had been released 2 years prior.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
this guy is the only one who can voice Sora but despite this, he doesnt pretty much know of the series, "There's the gameboy one." you mean Chain of Memories right? nevertheless, i hope he return voicing Sora in 3 :redface:

Keep in mind, when they're recording they don't get a very detailed explanation of what's going on. Ben Diskin even asked for one when he went in to record for Young Xehanort as his last exposure was years ago when he played KH2, and he said the staff just laughed at him.

Consider that they have other obligations in life as well and don't have time or probably care to get into the nitty-gritty details if they do manage to sit down and play through the games. Whatever's happening is happening for a reason, and that's really all they need to get by.

DarkwingRanger

hemight have gotten a callsaying they need himto record some lines for the reCoded cut scenesfor KH 2.5 andthought they were talking about 3. the timing would be about right

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
He saw the announcement for Kingdom Hearts 3 though, so I doubt he got the part about the phone call confused with Re:coded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back