• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Haley Joel Osment Comments on Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I saw the announcement and then talked a little bit with them on the phone, because the process is, I started doing Kingdom Hearts in 2001, and there's the main series and there's the Gameboy one... I feel like I've done seven or eight installments, which is awesome. But with this, they're making it now and the recording of the dialogue is one of the last parts of the process, so probably this summer or later is the soonest.
I'm probably reading into this way too much (like I always do) but considering he talked with some people about how development would go, I'm lost with the development with this title.

From experience, he would know that recording dialogue is one of the last things to do. They probably discussed that in the meeting. For him to say that the dialogue would be soonish though? That just throws me off. They've done pretty well with development, fine tuning the gameplay and the worlds (Twilight Town seriously is gorgeous), and we know Nomura is writing the scenario.
Now, if they're working on translations at the SAME time that Nomura is writing the scenario, then localisation might go a bit faster. It feels like to me, whoever he spoke to, explained how the process of developing this game was going to go, and explained to him roughly the amount of time he would need to come into the studio since they haven't recorded like this for a full console game in a while.

Also, glad that Haley isn't the same as some of the other VA's that confuse their work. He could have easily made mistakes and responded and talked about KH 2.5 when he thought he was working on KH 3 :p

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Also, glad that Haley isn't the same as some of the other VA's that confuse their work. He could have easily made mistakes and responded and talked about KH 2.5 when he thought he was working on KH 3 :p

...I wonder if he knows he'll be working on 2.5 at all...Because coded is a Sora game, then there are those few extra scenes in KH2FM where he gets like two new lines about remembering Namine.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I'm probably reading into this way too much (like I always do) but considering he talked with some people about how development would go, I'm lost with the development with this title.

From experience, he would know that recording dialogue is one of the last things to do. They probably discussed that in the meeting. For him to say that the dialogue would be soonish though? That just throws me off. They've done pretty well with development, fine tuning the gameplay and the worlds (Twilight Town seriously is gorgeous), and we know Nomura is writing the scenario.
Now, if they're working on translations at the SAME time that Nomura is writing the scenario, then localisation might go a bit faster. It feels like to me, whoever he spoke to, explained how the process of developing this game was going to go, and explained to him roughly the amount of time he would need to come into the studio since they haven't recorded like this for a full console game in a while.

Square Enix and Disney look at this as a very high profile game. They're going to want to put a lot of cash and resources into its development, which might help with speeding up the entire process. So who knows, maybe that's why they can do all that now.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
it's great to hear something from HJO for once. Even better that he looks happy to take part in the series again. Given how ephemeral American showbiz can be, I'm always worried about one of our leads getting bored/busy/retired and dropping out (and seeing as it's happened...several times...). I'm also impressed that he's actually following the plot-- or, at least, Sora's character arc. Somewhat. :p

Not to mention, he's pretty cute. Heh~.

As for the recording dates, I think it was pretty clear he was conducting some offhand speculation. It's probably meaningless.
But. What if. :D

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Like others have already stated, Kingdom Hearts III is a high profile, triple A project with high esteem from both Square Enix and Disney, so they should be hurrying things a bit for a fast release. We also need to take into consideration how simplified the development cycle from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4 has become (and I presume the same applies for the Xbox 360 and One, too). With all of these factors in mind, it is possible the product may see a release quarter one or two of the year 2015.

As to Haley Joel Osment and his voice: again, like others have said, voice actors need the skill to perform in higher and lower voice tones, in other words, their voice needs to be versatile. For example: Caius Ballad's voice actor Liam O'Brien. Not only did he voice Caius Ballad from Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Akihiko Sanada from Persona 3 and its re-releases (I mention those two because their voices are similar), but he also voiced Nevarre from Shin Megami Tensei IV (which, personally, I was surprised). Another surprising voice act he did was Zazz from Sonic Lost World. To sum this all up: as you may contemplate by the example with Mr. O'Brien, voice actors need to have versatile voices.

sonickenshin

Awards
I think as long as he doesn't push his voice too high like he did in KH3D, he should be fine.

Bobizzle

The fact that Osment says that voice recording could start this summer does make it seem more and more possible that a mid 2015 release date for KH3 isn't impossible.

The question is whether he knows for certain that that's when SE will start the recordings...or if he's just throwing out guesses..

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The question is whether he knows for certain that that's when SE will start the recordings...or if he's just throwing out guesses..
I'm 90% sure he's just guessing, but he is the star of the games so they might have filled him in on how things will be done.
They do need to make room in the schedules for everyone.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
For the sake of keeping my expectations low I'll take what he's saying with a grains of salt, but considering that Nomura stated a long time ago that he already had a rough outline for the next saga planned I don't think it's too far fetched to think he at least had a rough out line for KH3 as well. At this point the writing process itself may consist of a nearly completed first draft that only needs polishing. Nomura has gotten into the habit of think one, even two, games ahead of which ever one he's working on at the time so the writing for KH3 might not take that long.

Faded_Banana24

Damn his voice got DEEP! It must pain him to sound like a 17 year old boy for all these spin-offs.

I'm hopeful Square will stick with Osment since his voice to me was what made Sora so charming and likable. Especially in the first game, his yells, chants, and overall performance (along with the Disney nostalgia sprinkled in) really was what made Kingdom Hearts for me!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If they didn't fire HJO when he got a DUI (idk why they would have but I'm just using it as an example), they aren't going to replace him unless he says no. Nomura & SE/Disney staff were smarter than Kojima (i mean really kiefer sutherland plz kojima hayter was best) and got Hollywood actors to voice characters right off the bat.

Efflictim

cuck
Awards
lol there's no reason to think he won't return. He's just downplaying it. Great to hear he's optimistic about recording beginning soon, though. Maybe a Spring/Summer 2015 release if all goes according to plan?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
If they didn't fire HJO when he got a DUI (idk why they would have but I'm just using it as an example), they aren't going to replace him unless he says no. Nomura & SE/Disney staff were smarter than Kojima (i mean really kiefer sutherland plz kojima hayter was best) and got Hollywood actors to voice characters right off the bat.

lol there's no reason to think he won't return. He's just downplaying it. Great to hear he's optimistic about recording beginning soon, though. Maybe a Spring/Summer 2015 release if all goes according to plan?

HJO has been in the franchise since the first game and directly provided his voice for five of the seven games (six of eight, if we count the likelihood of him voicing Data-Sora in the upcoming Re:coded movie), so the chances are high that he will be returning for this one game, the final stretch of the saga. I think it would be just distracting to have someone else fill in his role for just this game, unless of course something that we can't control happens (which we hope won't have to).

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
directly provided his voice for five of the seven games (six of eight, if we count the likelihood of him voicing Data-Sora in the upcoming Re:coded movie),.
Why can't we count the original Re:coded instead of waiting for the movie? He did voice work for that.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Why can't we count the original Re:coded instead of waiting for the movie? He did voice work for that.

Oops, sorry about that. For some reason, I must have missed the spoken parts of Re:coded. Having done works for six of the seven extant voice-acted games, it just lends more strength to the likelihood of him reprising his role as Sora in KH3.

Last edited:

sonic174

You got the line "But we're happy to be back to Sora." wrong, she says "But we'll have you back for sora?"

Dr_Mario64

I like that Haley knows what's going on to some extent, despite this series being unnecessarily difficult to follow.

Of course, the only real reason that it's difficult to follow is because the series is portrayed out of order.

So he has to adjust his voice in order to voice Sora now. He doesn't sound anything like him. But maybe it's because there is too much sound in that video.

HJO's voice changes a lot, I notice. Young Sora sounds completely different from older Sora, and it's really awkward to hear Old Sora's voice come out of young Sora's mouth in Re:COM. Either Haley needs better direction, Square Enix needs better editors, or they need another actor entirely to distinguish between the two drastically different voices.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
You got the line "But we're happy to be back to Sora." wrong, she says "But we'll have you back for sora?"

After listening to it again, you're right.

Much easier to transcribe when you're not trying to write gaming news articles behind your boss's back at work.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
HJO's voice changes a lot, I notice. Young Sora sounds completely different from older Sora, and it's really awkward to hear Old Sora's voice come out of young Sora's mouth in Re:COM. Either Haley needs better direction, Square Enix needs better editors, or they need another actor entirely to distinguish between the two drastically different voices.

KH1 Sora = prepubescent HJO

KH2 Sora = post puberty HJO

You can't do much once a guy's voice drops. That's like asking a grown man to sound like they did when they were five years old. It's just not going to happen.

Personally I always believed they should have hired his sister to play young!Sora but...eh. They've gone through with HJO and it's been fine. I'm just glad HJO likes doing the games!

I'd rather just believe at some point after KH1 ended, Sora started going through puberty and that is why his voice is older. My cousin was like that. Literally one day he had this young boy's voice then I talked to him a few days later and I thought I was talking to his father. It was creepy.

They won't be revisiting a younger Sora after KH3, hopefully. KH3D seemed like a send-off and now we're at the era of "mature Sora"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back