• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Haley Joel Osment Comments on Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

It's not often that we're lucky enough to hear from the cast of actors behind the voices of the beloved characters in the Kingdom Hearts series. These opportunities are few and far between, and it appears that the folks over at Zap2it have taken the chance in their recent interview with none other than Haley Joel Osment, the voice of Sora.

Zap2it were able to discuss the highly anticipated title, Kingdom Hearts 3, with him briefly. As the game is still in its very early stages, he hasn't been given much information at this point in time. Despite this, shortly after its official announcement at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013, he was able to discuss it with some of the staff and looks forward to reprising his role as the iconic Keyblade-wielding hero if given the opportunity.

Osment reminisces about his first time voicing Sora for the first game in 2001, as well as the many titles that have followed over the past decade. He's played the character at various stages in his life and sometimes even in other forms, or other individuals connected to him, so although he's not entirely certain that it's the same Sora he'll play, he'll welcome the chance to return with open arms.

And why shouldn't he? He's grown up with the series just as we all have, having been 13 when he recorded for the first title and playing the games as they've been released. Despite his busy work schedule, he's known for being very enthusiastic about Kingdom Hearts, if you couldn't already tell from his expression in the video the second the interviewer mentioned those words. His sister, Emily, has commented in the past saying that he would always be playing the games and rarely surrendered the controller or system to her.

It is worth noting that voice recording for the western release is one of the final processes in development, unlike the Japanese voice recording that is completed much more early on in order to properly direct and animate the scenes within the game and sync them accordingly. It's hard to judge at thie point in time but Osment believes that he could be going into the studio by Summer 2014 or later.

Now, voice recording for the Kingdom Hearts series in regards to the English dub has generally been done around the time the game is set to be released in Japan. It is possible that Kingdom Hearts 3, having as much weight and popularity as it does, may be reason enough to do things concurrently between East and West, so Osment's estimate may not be entirely off the mark.

Kingdom Hearts 3 will be released on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. 

Source: Zap2it 

A complete transcript has been provided below:

Zap2it: Now, one last question - I'm going to nerd out a little on you but - you've been involved in the Kingdom Hearts franchise for a really long time, and people are excited about Kingdom Hearts 3 finally coming out.

HJO: Right.

Zap2it: Can you talk a little bit about that? Have you seen the script or anything?

HJO: I saw the announcement and then talked a little bit with them on the phone, because the process is, I started doing Kingdom Hearts in 2001, and there's the main series and there's the Gameboy one... I feel like I've done seven or eight installments, which is awesome. But with this, they're making it now and the recording of the dialogue is one of the last parts of the process, so probably this summer or later is the soonest.

Zap2it: But we're happy to have you back for Sora.

HJO: Oh sure! That's what I hear. Sometimes Sora goes back to being a child or goes to another universe or changes into somebody else so you can never say for sure, but hopefully I'll be back.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
He seems optimistic about recording starting in the summer at the earliest O:
And then when you factor in he said "recording of the dialogue is one of the last parts of the process"....

No... must not get hopes up.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I like that Haley knows what's going on to some extent, despite this series being unnecessarily difficult to follow.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Ignore the photo I gave it to sign as a joke but she loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that Haley knows what's going on to some extent, despite this series being unnecessarily difficult to follow.
I like how they talked about it soon after it was announced. Wonder what things they discussed (probably how much time this might take up etc.)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
HE CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL. AND IT WASN'T JESSE THIS TIME!

Perhaps what they are planning to do is do the localization work while developing the game. It'd make sense so they could get started on lip sync for the English version and aim for a simultaneous worldwide release.

This is what I want to hope for

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
HE CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL. AND IT WASN'T JESSE THIS TIME!

Perhaps what they are planning to do is do the localization work while developing the game. It'd make sense so they could get started on lip sync for the English version and aim for a simultaneous worldwide release.

This is what I want to hope for
Square Enix tho.

Whenever they localise at the same time as development, game is released in Western world months after Japan.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Remember how they did Japanese voice work for BBS back in 2007, even though the game wouldn't release until years later? It might be a similar thing happening now, except with English voice acting as well.

Or that development is progressing well enough, considering it only hit actual development last year. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Ignore the photo I gave it to sign as a joke but she loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR GIVING IT TO ME IN THE FIRST PLACE

The excitement on his face when the interviewer mentions KH is perfect~

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I think my favorite part of this is knowing how much HJO likes voice acting for the KH series. I knew he loved having a chance to play a villain with Vanitas, but I didn't know how eager he would be to reprise Sora. C: I love HJO.

I REFUSE TO GET MY HOPES UP FOR HIM RECORDING THIS SUMMER...

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
He said that he might start recording during this summer at the earliest. I wonder if an simultaneous worldwide release date is possible?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
He said that he might start recording during this summer at the earliest. I wonder if an simultaneous worldwide release date is possible?
I think we'd be looking more at something like the gap between the Japanese and North American release of LRFF.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I think we'd be looking more at something like the gap between the Japanese and North American release of LRFF.
Oh god no. Why can't it be more like the gap between the Japanese and English release of XIII-2? A.k.a a month.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Oh god no. Why can't it be more like the gap between the Japanese and English release of XIII-2? A.k.a a month.
Was that one just a month? o: I can see that working for KH3 as well!

I can't see a simultaneous worldwide release for it though. It's a highly demanded title but it's not like it's Pokemon.

Sorarocks93

Awards
So he has to adjust his voice in order to voice Sora now. He doesn't sound anything like him. But maybe it's because there is too much sound in that video.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Sometimes Sora goes back to being a child or goes to another universe or changes into somebody else so you can never say for sure

I don't know why but this description makes me laugh. Apparently it also made him laugh judging by the end of that video clip.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
He's a voice actor and voice actors need to be able to voice in ranges above and below their normal voice.
Dream Drop Distance Sora was done in a higher voice, probably to show he's young again or something.
Vanitas was in a deeper voice, because deep voice = brooding darkness.

I'm more than confident in HJO's skills in order to portray Sora as realistically as possible in KH3. Considering how this would be classified as a "blockbuster" game by SE's standards, they should go all out with the VA's (and maybe a return to actually using Disney stars to voice characters).

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
So he has to adjust his voice in order to voice Sora now. He doesn't sound anything like him. But maybe it's because there is too much sound in that video.

Certainly for a voice actor, it's a given that they have to adjust their voice as required (look at Kirk Thornton and his plethora of works). I'm pretty sure HJO will be able to do this and still sound like the Sora we know.

That said, my hope is that he won't sound like Sora in DDD because I personally think that one sounds a little bit kid-like. I'm not saying it was bad, but it might have worked in DDD because Sora reverted to his younger self of some sort. While we did have scenes of the "proper" Sora in DDD, they are far and few and I didn't really notice the difference between his voice and that of RoS Sora.

I wish him success and good luck.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
You could tell he's had to do that for years, even in his last KH interview back in 2005/6.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I want them to say "Okay, you can talk with a lower register. You're MATURE SORA now!"

He's always had to adjust his voice. That wasn't his speaking voice in KH2 rofl and certainly not in KH3D. At the time of KH2 he certainly had a lower voice than Sora's, and he clearly can go up and down the vocal range (perhaps not as well as a trained, veteran voice actor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back