• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

.hack//G.U. Last Recode Coming to PS4 and PC

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Project X Zone 2 introduced me to .hack// so I'm interested to see the origin story of this franchise. However, those interested that are going completely blind wouldn't appreciate the tragedy that is Azure Kite.

Hopefully, this game is popular enough to have Xenosaga gain the same treatment!

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Project X Zone 2 introduced me to .hack// so I'm interested to see the origin story of this franchise. However, those interested that are going completely blind wouldn't appreciate the tragedy that is Azure Kite.

Hopefully, this game is popular enough to have Xenosaga gain the same treatment!

Well, this isn't really the origin since G.U. was the second .hack series of games. I can see why they would choose to remaster G.U. over the originals, but I'm hoping if this G.U. remaster does well enough that they'll remaster the first 4 games as well, even if just as PS2 on PS4 remasters.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
.hack//G.U. Last Recode Brings Plenty Of System Changes Along With Visual Improvements - Siliconera

Umm, yeah, I am beyond excited for this! The whole trilogy on one disc, and it sounds like they're trying to push it out this year. I am so stoked to see a revival for this series, I still have all 7 games for the PS2.

ARE YOU FOR REAL RIGHT NOW! YES! FINALLY! I HAVE WAITED YEARS FOR THEM TO DO THIS! BEST E3 OF MY LIFE. HASEO, BABY, I WILL PLAY THE CRAP OUT OF YOU!

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I never thought this would actually happen. I barely started the first .hack game, but I was so sure I was gonna have to emulate them. Good idea on their part to have it on both PS4 and PC.

Max

Staff member
Awards
I don't think anyone actually thought this was ever going to happen. This is a blessing for fans of this series though, I personally feel like this game deserves this remaster a lot, especially considering just how hard it is to find copies of these games anywhere.

I really can't contain my excitement, I'd basically given up on seeing anything more from this series after the 2012 movie, they really did just seem done.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Well, this isn't really the origin since G.U. was the second .hack series of games. I can see why they would choose to remaster G.U. over the originals, but I'm hoping if this G.U. remaster does well enough that they'll remaster the first 4 games as well, even if just as PS2 on PS4 remasters.

Of course, there's no question that .hack//G.U. is fairly stand-alone, but the events canonically occur after the original .hack// games. I really don't want the first four .hack// games as PS2 to PS4 conversions. If anything, I want Bandai Namco to incorporate the template used for this remaster for the original games, because unlike G.U., the original games have aged horrendously badly.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I've literally been tweeting @Cyberconnect2 for two years straight asking for this...made me happy af.

This remake is all the more ironic considering that this petition existed for a long time.

https://www.change.org/p/cyberconnect2-co-ltd-hack-g-u-hd-collection

For anybody interested, here is a scan of the remasters from Famitsu.

l_593fd5d703c1e_thumb.jpg

l_593fd5d70a996_thumb.jpg

l_593fd5d70c8bc_thumb.jpg

Max

Staff member
Awards
Those scans are looking really solid. I'm gonna buy the .hack//Roots collection Funimation rereleased to pump myself up for this.

Last edited:

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I've never played a .hack game before, but I am beyond ready after only hearing good things for years.
Since G.U.'s the second series, should I try and find some way to play the first, or is it not going to have much of an impact?

I'm definitely going to kick off my start with the series tonight with //Sign. I'm r e a d y.

Max

Staff member
Awards
I've never played a .hack game before, but I am beyond ready after only hearing good things for years.
Since G.U.'s the second series, should I try and find some way to play the first, or is it not going to have much of an impact?

I'm definitely going to kick off my start with the series tonight with //Sign. I'm r e a d y.

The original 4 games are rare and cost a pretty penny. When they made G.U., it was honestly made as a good starting off point for newcomers. It still makes plenty of callbacks to the orginals for veterans, but the originals aren't necessary. So if you want to just hop in with G.U., then I recommend just watching .hack//Roots beforehand.

I talked with someone else recently though, and a good idea if you want all of the background is to watch //SIGN and then maybe watch the story of the first 4 games on YouTube if you're interested, because the story is where the originals really shined.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
That was a better response than I was anticipating, thanks very much!

I talked with someone else recently though, and a good idea if you want all of the background is to watch //SIGN and then maybe watch the story of the first 4 games on YouTube if you're interested, because the story is where the originals really shined.
I think I'll do exactly that, then watch //Roots, so it seems like I know what I'll be doing this coming week.
I really have no idea about how the story unfolds, so I am very, very keen. Thanks again.

Max

Staff member
Awards
That was a better response than I was anticipating, thanks very much!

I think I'll do exactly that, then watch //Roots, so it seems like I know what I'll be doing this coming week.
I really have no idea about how the story unfolds, so I am very, very keen. Thanks again.

No problem, it's a series I've been with from the beginning and I have a passionate knowledge of that I love to share haha.

Also, here's a tip as you go along: stop watching .hack//SIGN after episode 26. Episode 27 is just a recap, and episode 28 takes place after the 4th game. 28 wasn't aired on tv as it contains spoilers as to the ending of the game's and should just be watched after.

As you go through watching the games, it's also good to know that there was an OVA packed with each game called .hack//Liminality. Episode 1 of Liminality should be watched after the first game, 2 after the second, etc.

Once you make it through all of that, the next anime is .hack//Legend of the Twilight. Its pretty lackluster and unnecessary though. Fun to watch some shenanigans a couple years after the previous series' if you want, but that's about it.

As for //Roots, it has a similar thing as //SIGN. When it aired on tv, they stopped airing new episode after episode 21 instead of 26. This is honestly a good place to stop for now because those last 5 episodes reveal a couple plot points that could be considered spoilers for the first and second G.U. game, so watch 22-26 at your own discretion.

There's a long-winded explanation you didn't ask for on how to watch this series, I hope you enjoy!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
No problem, it's a series I've been with from the beginning and I have a passionate knowledge of that I love to share haha.

Also, here's a tip as you go along: stop watching .hack//SIGN after episode 26. Episode 27 is just a recap, and episode 28 takes place after the 4th game. 28 wasn't aired on tv as it contains spoilers as to the ending of the game's and should just be watched after.

As you go through watching the games, it's also good to know that there was an OVA packed with each game called .hack//Liminality. Episode 1 of Liminality should be watched after the first game, 2 after the second, etc.

Once you make it through all of that, the next anime is .hack//Legend of the Twilight. Its pretty lackluster and unnecessary though. Fun to watch some shenanigans a couple years after the previous series' if you want, but that's about it.

As for //Roots, it has a similar thing as //SIGN. When it aired on tv, they stopped airing new episode after episode 21 instead of 26. This is honestly a good place to stop for now because those last 5 episodes reveal a couple plot points that could be considered spoilers for the first and second G.U. game, so watch 22-26 at your own discretion.

There's a long-winded explanation you didn't ask for on how to watch this series, I hope you enjoy!
Dude, I'm so glad you're here to lead me through this journey. I'd be so fucking lost hahaha

SkeithTheTerror

Am I the only one here who has read the .hack// books? The books were actually my introduction to the series (Don't remember how I got into them, it was years ago) Anyway, I haven't played any of the .hack// games because money, but I have read all the books and watched all of the anime. I can't wait for this remaster!

Max

Staff member
Awards
Dude, I'm so glad you're here to lead me through this journey. I'd be so fucking lost hahaha

I gotchu, my man!

Am I the only one here who has read the .hack// books? The books were actually my introduction to the series (Don't remember how I got into them, it was years ago) Anyway, I haven't played any of the .hack// games because money, but I have read all the books and watched all of the anime. I can't wait for this remaster!

Funny enough I just bought all 4 .hack//Another Birth books the other day. They were dirt cheap so I'm just about to start reading them once they all get here this week.

SkeithTheTerror

Funny enough I just bought all 4 .hack//Another Birth books the other day. They were dirt cheap so I'm just about to start reading them once they all get here this week.

The Another Birth books are pretty good novels. If you ever get the chance, pick up .Hack//A.I Buster and A.I. Buster 2 also, they're also dirt cheap nowadays. A.I. Buster takes place before //SIGN and the first half of A.I. Buster 2 takes place during SIGN. They are my favorite of the .Hack novels

Back