• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gummiphone and Ingredients, do you want them to return for future games including KH4?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
I'm fine with the gummiphone existing (ironic because I hate the concept of selfie taking, considering how much suffering it brings from people's stupidity) so long as they implement a feature where you can repeatedly harass demyx and co. and exhaust his pre recorded lines. Who's with me!

I am wholeheartedly with you on the selfie taking being idiotic. Though it technically has been a thing since the 1990s it's just that in recent years the not so intelligent people came up with that silly term "selfie", and have overdone it to death at this point. I admit it is at least fun to do it in the game.

I notice quite a lot of people don't like the phone part of the gummiphone. I am mostly in agreement with that sentiment as well. I should be more specific. I only wish for the camera part of it to return. The photos for missions or just messing around with characters during your free time is the real fun part of it. Perhaps a "gummicamera" would suffice instead. I definitely do not want the gummiphone back to engulf a good portion of the cutscenes in games. The whole instagram knockoff thing always came off as rather tacky to me. Coming from someone who doesn't even bother with any form of social media anymore, I can live without it. I mean why is it even in the KH universe when everyone is also talking about world order. It's all very contradictory.

One of my pet peeves about KH3 is that I feel the developers spent more time implementing as much fads and memes they missed out in the freaking 13 year gap between kh2 and kh3 to appeal to the younger social media obsessed generation that they put things in the game that don't make sense for the story. In a way they alienated the older fans who actually cared about the story, and in doing so the story itself felt like a rushed mess because you know we had to have a smartphone and social media exist in a universe where people are suppose to be oblivious of other worlds.

Last edited:

GreyouTT

Awards
You don't have to get rid of the phones to have characters meet up in person.

Example 1:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Example 2:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Basically in my opinion, they shouldn't get rid of the phones. Plus Chip and Dale have been remote calling since KH1, and that didn't stop them from going to Disney Castle.

One of my pet peeves about KH3 is that I feel the developers spent more time implementing as much fads and memes they missed out in the freaking 13 year gap between kh2 and kh3 to appeal to the younger social media obsessed generation that they put things in the game that don't make sense for the story. In a way they alienated the older fans who actually cared about the story, and in doing so the story itself felt like a rushed mess because you know we had to have a smartphone and social media exist in a universe where people are suppose to be oblivious of other worlds.

I kinda doubt a few pngs and loading screen code took up a whole lot of time in that development process. Not to mention they likely just reused code from 15 for the camera. I feel like you're making a mountain out of an anthill with this, man.

Last edited:

cakito123

Awards
Yeah they can use the phone properly in future games like you examplified, but KH3 really doesnt do that. I hope this gets better in future installments.

Like,
One of the most important scenes of the game, the one where Ienzo tells sora about 3 hearts residing within him, is told in a gummiphone call, and I think it is a really underwhelming, bland scene. It is just not interesting enough to watch. Even scenes like Demyx dropping the vessel in ienzo-s lab is better to watch - the characters walks and talks around the room as the camera makes some cool moves and that makes a whole difference.
Instead of delivering all in a call, Sora could have been called to go in RG, so we go there and the scene plays out with Sora in a hammock, being examined by Ienzo in his lab, as Donald faces ienzo impatiently for new info, and Goofy just goes Gawrsh. Sora is distracted because he is wondering how Riku is and...... anyway you get the idea

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards

Example 1:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Example 2:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Basically in my opinion, they shouldn't get rid of the phones. Plus Chip and Dale have been remote calling since KH1, and that didn't stop them from going to Disney Castle.

I kinda doubt a few pngs and loading screen code took up a whole lot of time in that development process. Not to mention they likely just reused code from 15 for the camera. I feel like you're making a mountain out of an anthill with this, man.

I wouldn't necessarily say so. I am not the only one who feels this way either. One of the most noticeable flaws about KH3 is the story. More so than others entries of the series. The over usage of the gummiphone didn't ultimately destroy my overall enjoyment of the game, but it did hinder quite a few moments of the story that could have been far more monumental. If not get rid of the phone at least take it down a notch with including it in every situation.

As for the loading screens, yeah I know it is not something that takes up a lot of time, but in my opinion still feels a bit tacky. Ironically it made it feel a bit more "childish" and "immature" compared to other installments in the game. Yes I know Disney is apart of it, but Disney can be mature too and I think many have forgotten about it including those that currently work there. For me personally these days I always associate social media with childish people including adults that think they are "cool" and "hip" having one and interacting with kids younger than them. Social media to me is the ultimate narcissist playground. I guess that's why it kind of irks me a bit to see it suddenly included in one of my favorite video game series of all time.

GreyouTT

Awards
I wouldn't necessarily say so. I am not the only one who feels this way either. One of the most noticeable flaws about KH3 is the story. More so than others entries of the series. The over usage of the gummiphone didn't ultimately destroy my overall enjoyment of the game, but it did hinder quite a few moments of the story that could have been far more monumental. If not get rid of the phone at least take it down a notch with including it in every situation.

As for the loading screens, yeah I know it is not something that takes up a lot of time, but in my opinion still feels a bit tacky. Ironically it made it feel a bit more "childish" and "immature" compared to other installments in the game. Yes I know Disney is apart of it, but Disney can be mature too and I think many have forgotten about it including those that currently work there. For me personally these days I always associate social media with childish people including adults that think they are "cool" and "hip" having one and interacting with kids younger than them. Social media to me is the ultimate narcissist playground. I guess that's why it kind of irks me a bit to see it suddenly included in one of my favorite video game series of all time.

You have a very pessimistic view of social media. Plus that stuff happens everywhere on the net. Even on forums, which are also a form of social media.

Awards
I just wanna know how Jiminy was able to give literally everyone in the tower a Gummiphone without any of them noticing something crawling on them then something ending up in their pocket.

How did he even get those multiple phones?

Also something something I wanna call Kairi

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
You have a very pessimistic view of social media. Plus that stuff happens everywhere on the net. Even on forums, which are also a form of social media.

True, it is pessimistic and maybe even cynical, but also the truth concerning society all over the world these days.

Anyhow getting off topic here, back to the gummiphone. I agree with some it does have it's awkward moments yes, however it does have it's merit. As I originally said when I created this thread it can be fun to use in the game. In fact some of the photo missions reminds me of the old days when I use to play Pokemon Snap for the N64. Can catch some hilarious or awesome moments too during boss fights making it quite a riot. I don't think it should be completely erased from this series. If anything at least keep the camera.

As for the ingredients I wish for this to remain in some fashion. If they at least introduce the option of silencing Donald with his annoyance I bet it will be much tolerable for everyone here. Besides, creating meals and consuming them has been a staple in a lot successful rpgs for years, so why not expand upon it a little for Kingdom Hearts?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Example 1:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Example 2:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

It'd be a better version of what Chip and Dale do. I'd rather a character from the world in question contacting us instead of a boring "Hey! I'm picking up a strange reading coming from [insert world here]!" More examples of lively antics we could get is the Gullwings and/or Stitch stealing and hogging someone's phone, and also use the phone in collection sidequests for them (treasures and the experiments) in place of the Lucky Emblems.

Yuna: "Wow! That treasure is huge!"

Rikku: "Jackpot!"

Paine: "Just don't break your backs bringing it here, okay?"

Donald: "Why should we bring it at all?! YOU'RE supposed to be the treasure hunters!"

Rikku: "Hey! We're treasure fanatics!"

Yuna: "I'm so sorry, but I promise we'll reward you for the trouble."

Donald: *frustrated Donald noises*

I just wanna know how Jiminy was able to give literally everyone in the tower a Gummiphone without any of them noticing something crawling on them then something ending up in their pocket.

How did he even get those multiple phones?

Also something something I wanna call Kairi
It gets even more confusing when you remember how huge the Gummiphones are.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I can count on zero hands the number of times I actually used meals. & if I have to listen to Donald one more freaking time....
I never used meals in my Standard run. Did consider it on my Proud run, but never did it.

Anyways, I don't mind recipes, nor do I mind the Gummiphone. Plus I think that the phone will substitute the Journal. Can also be used as an excuse for info dump on the player for the sake of plot progression.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
If it's gonna be used for this again I would take the blow of no photo mode to remove the phone in its entirety
Haha, just a suggestion. KH3 had its reasons to do so. I'm sure future KH games, that won't suffer a year or more of dev time lost, will focus on proper storytelling and will result less to info dumps on long cutscenes and reports.

mouflon

Awards
The Gummiphone. It’s basically Jiminy’s journal with a camera attached, so it’s fine. I enjoyed taking photos, finding Lucky Emblems and Data Greeting way more than I thought I would. (Though the fact that so many of the Emblems were just indentations was really dull.) What I really don’t care for is the ‘social media’ aspect that came with it.

tl;dr: it’s weird but I hope they expand on it to make it worthwhile since there are so many possibilities for character interactions that are sorely lacking. For my full thoughts (i.e. incoherent rambling) I’ll put in spoilers so gloss over if you don’t care:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I just hope for the social media stuff, they actually do something interesting with it. I’m not optimistic it’s gonna be utilized in any interesting way beyond info dumps/loading screen fillers like we got in III. I’d like to be wrong but I know this series too well at this point, haha.

I absolutely don’t want the Gummiphone to be used in place of characters meeting face-to-face (like in III how SDG never met Ienzo in RG), but it should also be used to get character interactions we’ve never had before or which wouldn’t be otherwise feasible (gimme Pence, Chip, Dale and Ienzo developing friendships over their nerdy computer shit, stuff like that). Even if it’s just character fluff via texts or chatrooms, I’d take that over no meaningful or face-to-face interactions at all.

It would be a nice way of implementing plot point segues/side quests, too. Scenarios like what GreyouTT and FudgemintGuardian suggested would be great.

Ingredients. It didn’t feel balanced to me. I never felt the need to use any food to get past any bosses or hurdles in the game. I only did it to fill out the menu/Gummiphone/get a trophy. If they retain this feature as-is I hope they fine-tune it so it’s not necessary for the main game but maybe the optional/super bosses are made more manageable with it? Easier said than done, though; balancing something like that is difficult.

What I’d actually like is for cooking to take on an entirely new dimension if it’s retained. Something this series lacks is character interactions. What’s an easy way of getting someone to sit down with you and talk? Offer them free food. Boom.

Like, you gather ingredients. Sora bakes a cake. “Oh, I should share this with someone because friendship and stuff!” After baking, you get an option to select someone. “Hey, I wanna hang out with Ven!” and we get a scene of SDG and Ven eating cake or whatever and talking about… stuff. I don’t mean to say there would be reams and reams of animated and fully voiced scenes, just one or two meaningful ones (relevant to the plot maybe or what have you), and the rest could just be relegated to social media posts or whatever. Cut to black or a generic unvoiced scene then after you get a message notification. Check the Gummiphone. “Hey, Sora, thanks for the cake, not as good as Aqua’s though lol, it was awesome seeing you again, don’t do anything stupid to put you back to level 1 for the next game, all right, byyyyeeee.”

I’d just be nice see these supposed friends actually do friend stuff for once during the calmer moments in the story. Also, jeez, give these kids a break! Provide us with some more scenes of levity for these poor unfortunate souls.

And I’m instantly three thumbs up if cooking with Tiana is a thing, heck yet, I wanna go to New Orleans!

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The Gummiphone. It’s basically Jiminy’s journal with a camera attached, so it’s fine. I enjoyed taking photos, finding Lucky Emblems and Data Greeting way more than I thought I would. (Though the fact that so many of the Emblems were just indentations was really dull.) What I really don’t care for is the ‘social media’ aspect that came with it.

tl;dr: it’s weird but I hope they expand on it to make it worthwhile since there are so many possibilities for character interactions that are sorely lacking. For my full thoughts (i.e. incoherent rambling) I’ll put in spoilers so gloss over if you don’t care:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I just hope for the social media stuff, they actually do something interesting with it. I’m not optimistic it’s gonna be utilized in any interesting way beyond info dumps/loading screen fillers like we got in III. I’d like to be wrong but I know this series too well at this point, haha.

I absolutely don’t want the Gummiphone to be used in place of characters meeting face-to-face (like in III how SDG never met Ienzo in RG), but it should also be used to get character interactions we’ve never had before or which wouldn’t be otherwise feasible (gimme Pence, Chip, Dale and Ienzo developing friendships over their nerdy computer shit, stuff like that). Even if it’s just character fluff via texts or chatrooms, I’d take that over no meaningful or face-to-face interactions at all.

It would be a nice way of implementing plot point segues/side quests, too. Scenarios like what GreyouTT and FudgemintGuardian suggested would be great.

Ingredients. It didn’t feel balanced to me. I never felt the need to use any food to get past any bosses or hurdles in the game. I only did it to fill out the menu/Gummiphone/get a trophy. If they retain this feature as-is I hope they fine-tune it so it’s not necessary for the main game but maybe the optional/super bosses are made more manageable with it? Easier said than done, though; balancing something like that is difficult.

What I’d actually like is for cooking to take on an entirely new dimension if it’s retained. Something this series lacks is character interactions. What’s an easy way of getting someone to sit down with you and talk? Offer them free food. Boom.

Like, you gather ingredients. Sora bakes a cake. “Oh, I should share this with someone because friendship and stuff!” After baking, you get an option to select someone. “Hey, I wanna hang out with Ven!” and we get a scene of SDG and Ven eating cake or whatever and talking about… stuff. I don’t mean to say there would be reams and reams of animated and fully voiced scenes, just one or two meaningful ones (relevant to the plot maybe or what have you), and the rest could just be relegated to social media posts or whatever. Cut to black or a generic unvoiced scene then after you get a message notification. Check the Gummiphone. “Hey, Sora, thanks for the cake, not as good as Aqua’s though lol, it was awesome seeing you again, don’t do anything stupid to put you back to level 1 for the next game, all right, byyyyeeee.”

I’d just be nice see these supposed friends actually do friend stuff for once during the calmer moments in the story. Also, jeez, give these kids a break! Provide us with some more scenes of levity for these poor unfortunate souls.

And I’m instantly three thumbs up if cooking with Tiana is a thing, heck yet, I wanna go to New Orleans!
Whoever worked on those FINAL FANTASY XV campfire scenes and small quests should be brought into the KH dev team for them to see how they can translate those events into KH.

D

Deleted member 252753

As a lot of characters do have a Gummiphone, I think it could be fun if you could use it to play with them in a minigame. It could be introduced in-universe as a by-product of Ienzo's research into datascapes. One idea I had was that you could gather data on enemy Heartless by defeating them and when you have defeated enough you could add them into a minigame where you control teams of Heartless against an Emmy team.

Another idea was that the Gummiphone could have a little datascape town where every character has their own house designed to suit them and you can go look at, say, Riku's house and see how it's decorated and maybe chat with his avatar there too. And you could fill Sora's house with items gathered from all the different worlds he visits.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think it could be fun if you could use it to play with them in a minigame.
Command Board, anyone? xD

One idea I had was that you could gather data on enemy Heartless by defeating them and when you have defeated enough you could add them into a minigame where you control teams of Heartless against an Emmy team.
Sounds like that monster fighting bit in FFXV in Altyssia.

Another idea was that the Gummiphone could have a little datascape town where every character has their own house designed to suit them and you can go look at, say, Riku's house and see how it's decorated and maybe chat with his avatar there too. And you could fill Sora's house with items gathered from all the different worlds he visits.
Good idea. Another one would be a village building mechanic like the Bravely series.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I want both to return with more refinement. Both concepts are great, but I can see the points others are making on how they weren’t executed well. That doesn’t mean they should be completely thrown out though. I think the common issue I see people complaining about is the features being unbalanced, which is something that the devs can definitely take into account next time when implementing these features after the feedback from this game.

Honestly, if a character just needs to dump a little exposition, I don’t see the point in making us travel to that world just to communicate the information every time. But there should be a mix of using the gummiphone for smaller info exchanges and going in person for the bigger stuff. For the latter, they should come up with a reason for Sora to go in person that’s more than just “We need to talk in person.” There should be some kind of threat that justifies Sora taking time away from saving other worlds to travel across the galaxy, which in turn would give us more playable action rather than just cutscenes.

One new feature I’d like to see added to the Gummiphone would be a threat detection system/side quest tracker. So you could be traveling the worlds and a notification pops up that says something like, “A powerful Heartless is approaching Corona! Go put it out of its misery.” or something. Any time after getting that message, you could initiate a side quest to go back to that world and investigate whatever the issue is. It would also be cool to get texts from characters throughout the game like how Zack gets emails in Crisis Core.

I’d also like to see Classic Kingdom get an upgrade to Arcade Kingdom and offer more advanced arcade games like side scrollers, rail shooters, and racing. (This could even tie in to a Wreck-It Ralph world.)

There’s a lot they can do with food, including having meals themed to the cultures of the different worlds we visit. So I want that to come back. We just need them to balance out the difficulty level to make the buffs mean something and nerf Donald’s ingredient finding AI.

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
I just thought of a couple other fun features concerning the photo taking with the Gummiphone/Gummicamera. After recently playing through KH3 once again, I tried many times to take a group picture with all the characters together in the same shot, but they always keep moving around. I would have to wait minutes for them to be in place and then I figured why not have a "group picture call" option were you can shout out to everyone to get in place for the shot. Another one was a "strike a pose" order because sometimes it takes forever for everyone to do a pose at the exact same time. You literally have to wait and time it right to get any funny expressions in the shot. Another one that I thought would be a most welcome feature with the camera is have the option to give the camera to someone else to take the picture for you, and you would have a limited time to take it until they pass the Gummiphone back to you. I for one am tired of seeing just Sora's head in the photos. Why not have an option where you give the phone/camera to Goofy or Donald to take a pic and then you can have Sora pose in a full body shot this time around. Whether he is by himself or posing with other characters, an option to see all of Sora in the photo would be a nice touch I think.
One final thing I pondered about was maybe a "drone" option were you can give the camera a command to hover around you for a bit as you are playing. Perhaps it can take a limit of 5 to 10 pics at a time and 1 to 2 minutes of gameplay footage. Any of these would be welcome additions to the photo taking if it indeed does make a return for future installments.

PStuder12321

As far as I am concerned these two factors are among the top things that increased the replay value of Kingdom Hearts 3. I admit i

Gumiphone is pretty much gonna come back. I can't see them dropping it plus as others have said, everyone has one now... what next game everyones gumiphones are just gonna poof and vanish? Nah they'll be back. As for food, I think they should keep the recipes simple, but do really like the idea of learning from all over!

Since everyone (and Demyx!)

Its Demyx time!

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I just thought of a couple other fun features concerning the photo taking with the Gummiphone/Gummicamera. After recently playing through KH3 once again, I tried many times to take a group picture with all the characters together in the same shot, but they always keep moving around. I would have to wait minutes for them to be in place and then I figured why not have a "group picture call" option were you can shout out to everyone to get in place for the shot. Another one was a "strike a pose" order because sometimes it takes forever for everyone to do a pose at the exact same time. You literally have to wait and time it right to get any funny expressions in the shot. Another one that I thought would be a most welcome feature with the camera is have the option to give the camera to someone else to take the picture for you, and you would have a limited time to take it until they pass the Gummiphone back to you. I for one am tired of seeing just Sora's head in the photos. Why not have an option where you give the phone/camera to Goofy or Donald to take a pic and then you can have Sora pose in a full body shot this time around. Whether he is by himself or posing with other characters, an option to see all of Sora in the photo would be a nice touch I think.
One final thing I pondered about was maybe a "drone" option were you can give the camera a command to hover around you for a bit as you are playing. Perhaps it can take a limit of 5 to 10 pics at a time and 1 to 2 minutes of gameplay footage. Any of these would be welcome additions to the photo taking if it indeed does make a return for future installments.
Data Greeting basically would have all this covered if they had more locations and more characters. The easy solution to that would be to upgrade Data Greeting's photo mode.

I hope Data Greeting returns in KH4 and you can access it anytime in the game from the journal rather then it being saved until the end in one location. Though that might require a lot of power from the current Playstation, but I would love for Data Greeting to be mobile with Sora and the more characters and worlds you go to the more they add to it so you can take whatever picture you want how you want.

SuperNova

Awards
I don't mind the Gummiphone in place of Jiminy's Journal. If this is what they use to catalogue the story and treasures etc. Then I can really support them bringing it back. But as a means to communicate through cutscenes and not have Sora go to Radiant Garden/Land of Departure/or whatever? No thanks.

I hated how the Gummiphone was used in KH3 cutscenes for important conversations and just made important plot points such as Ienzo telling Sora about the 3 hearts into a plot dump. Cut that crap out for KH4 please.

Back