• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gummi Ship Analysis

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
In the new trailer, we got to see a lot more of our new gummi ship missions for KH3, so I wanted to do some analysis on what we saw and discuss some theories.

First, we see a few different models of gummi ships:

• I’m not sure if the first ship is in reference to anything, but feel free to enlighten me. At most, the overall flat shape and the split in the front vaguely remind me of the Millenium Falcon.

• The second is based on the ship from the game Einhander, the creators of which are developing the Gummi ship missions.

• The third seems like a pretty obvious reference to the race carts from Sugar Rush in Wreck-It Ralph since it is constructed from ice cream and other treats, complete with chocolate wheels. It is driven by a Heartless with a cute little cherry-topped crown.

• The fourth is a moogle themed ship, which shows off the texturing that Gummi blocks can now have. Between the fur and the glass pom-pom, I wish I could touch this in real life.

• The fifth is a Bomb, a recurring enemy in the Final Fantasy series.

• The sixth and last is based on Ultros from Final Fantasy Vi. I’d kind of love it if he showed up as an NPC or something Monster’s Inc.

Now on to the gameplay footage!

The first thing of interest to me is the addition of the HUD, which we hadn’t previously seen. On it, we have HP, Shield, and Boost bar. The Shield bar is likely a function that puts up a barrier while the Boost provides some extra speed. There is also a Weapon slot that has interchangeable functions.

In the upper right, there is an icon that represents our level. It looks like we will gain experience and the bar on the symbol shows how close we are to leveling up the Gummi ship. (Notice this is a separate feature from missionl rank.) Maybe those yellow diamond collectibles provide experience points?

In the battle segments, the top left corner shows our score, time elapsed, number of enemies defeated, rank, and score multiplier.

There’s also a radar on the bottom left, however it only appears in certain shots. I believe this will only be available during the free roaming sections. There are a few different symbols that appear on it: a red Heartless symbol, a yellow gear, a yellow diamond, a blue diamond, and a yellow circle within a circle symbol.

The Heartless symbol is probably for enemies and the yellow diamond may represent objects that can be destroyed to find those yellow diamond collectibles. The blue diamonds may be items that refill the weapon or shield gauges which are blue meters. I don’t know about the yellow gear or the yellow circle. The former could be equipment to pick up, but I have no idea on the other.

Finally, I want to make note of the environments and enemies we see that may clue us in to where these missions take place. In the first two screens I’ve linked, you can see what looks to be vines or tree roots reaching across the space rocks. Coupled with the flower shaped boss in the second image, I believe this mission leads into Kingdom of Corona.

The third and fourth pictures have several ice rocks and formations. With the castle like boss, I think this mission is themed to Frozen. If I’m right, I think it is really cool that the Gummi ship missions will be themed to the environments of the worlds they surround. It makes the Lanes Between much more immersive and connected to the rest of the game’s universe.

Well that is all I have for now! Feel free to point out any errors or things I missed! I’m linking my screengrabs from which I pulled the info, along with just watching the trailer way too many times.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AHrkaNB

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
what designs you hope or want to see in the gummi ship

Definitely more FF references, but I’d love for them to reach out to other Square Enix properties as well. Plus, if Wreck It Ralph isn’t a world, this shows that we can still get ships inspired by non-featured Disney films. If Lilo and Stitch isn’t in the game as a world or characters, I’d love to fly a ship based on the one Stitch used to escape from the Galactic Empire. Some Treasure Planet or Atlantis themed ships would be great too. Maybe Marvel and Star Wars could get references through this.

cakito123

Awards
Honestly, I wanted the return of the gummi ship just because KH2 had it too.

But inside the game I don't really like those sections that much, mainly because it was always so repetitive. That's the main reason why I never even got to replay the gummi ship sections, and maybe I'm talking gibberish so take all I'm saying with a gigantic grain of salt...
I don't think there was a level-up system in the gummi ship, was there?

The only thing I remember about it was that everytime you played and beat a level, you get a new gummi ship to select in the next one.

I don't like how everything related to the gummi ship feels almost like another game. Nothing you do there affect the main game, with the exception of getting some goodies and items if you manage to get an S/A Rank, which isn't enough in my opinion.
Throughout the whole game, all you can do is dash, shoot, and charge a stronger shooting. It starts getting repetitive once you managed to master the controls and I remember getting really bored at the fourth gummi ship mission or so.

I wish in KH3 they could implement in some way Sora's abilities in the gummi ship's gameplay. That'd settle everything

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I've never particularly enjoyed the Gummi Ship on it's own. It's always been an outdated feature-- it was hilariously archaic in KH1, and KH2 added a lot of flash but not much substance. KH2 had one cool Gummi sequence, and that's the final one.

Yet I'm happy to see it return, as it truly is part of Kingdom Hearts, just as much as Keyblades and Heartless. It's a big silly addition, and it's never ever been a good idea, especially in a post Star Fox 64 world, but I'm glad they're not trying to replace it with something 'cooler' and are instead just doing their best to make it appealing and better than it ever was by dedicating a new team to it.

It would be cool if there was a group of enemies on an asteroid, and Sora would leap out of an escape hatch and start fighting them to clear the way, or a giant space alien showed up and Sora had to deflect it's attacks from the wing... Some kind of high-intensity way to up the action and integrate Sora's abilities with the space combat. In any case, I'm glad to see it looking so pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back