• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Guess who's going to Japan!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Yep, that would be me.

I've been talking about it here off and on that I was going to Japan for the summer, and I just got accepted to study abroad for architecture there for five weeks (I know, I wish I could stay longer haha) and I couldn't be more excited. So I figured I'd share it with all of you now that it's officially official.

I already have a general idea of things to go see on my free days (travel in the country is included in the budget, so I'm free to roam the entirety of Japan), but if anyone wants to sound off any things I have to do, feel free. One of my first sites will probably be Shibuya Crossing to go to the Hachiko statue after all these years since The World Ends with You.

And I guess another quick note for those of you who noticed/care, I've been taking a break from here for about a month now because my architecture studies are becoming such a burden lately, definitely picked the wrong option studio since most of my other classmates are pretty lax but that's beside the point. Since it's spring break now I figured I'd check in for a bit here and there, and maybe see how things go as the end of the semester picks up. Anywho

Peace

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Congrats man!

Take a day trip out to Kyoto and enjoy the sights there! It's a beautiful place to visit, especially in the spring time when it isn't rainy.

Fushimi Inari-taisha is one of the most mesmerizing places to go imo. Also the shrines in Kyoto are gorgeous and might be of interest to you as an architect student.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Thank you!

Fortunately our planes land in Kyoto and then we are free to spread out from there, but unfortunately we are not going in the spring but in July. So it'll be pretty hot and humid from what we've been told.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Thank you!

Fortunately our planes land in Kyoto and then we are free to spread out from there, but unfortunately we are not going in the spring but in July. So it'll be pretty hot and humid from what we've been told.

Oh man I missed the summer part ;~;

That means its going to be packed in Kyoto, too. I hope your flight is during the middle of the week because it shouldn't be too packed during the business week.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
congratulations my dude, kick konami in the balls once for your boi chuman. (AND PET THE HACHIKO STATUE THO)

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Oh man I missed the summer part ;~;

That means its going to be packed in Kyoto, too. I hope your flight is during the middle of the week because it shouldn't be too packed during the business week.

I believe we are leaving on Tuesday July 5th, so it should be decent. It'll be a long ass flight so I'll definitely bring a Vita (once I get one still haha)

congratulations my dude, kick konami in the balls once for your boi chuman. (AND PET THE HACHIKO STATUE THO)

Thanks man, that's on my list too haha. I'm gonna look like such a tourist but I don't care.

Also I think I'll be the tallest person in the country while I'm there, everyone in my college keeps joking, since I'm 6'4"

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
almost forgot; bring back pictures, selfies, portraits, etc, u know. and probably brush up on japanese ettiquite but im sure you know that lol

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Have a fun trip, Shadow Fenix!

I heard some of the beaches in Japan are really nice too! Pick up some souvenirs to show us or take loads of pictures! :D Seriously, have fun and stay safe! Try lots of food and look at everything too!

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Oh yeah! That's going to be such an amazing eperience. I hope you have so much fun!

Take millions of pictures and show us!

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I'm honestly probably gonna bring an extra empty dufflebag to fill with all the things I'm gonna buy over there that I couldn't get anywhere else, that's one of the things I'm most excited about!

And yes, I'm gonna have so much free space on my phone and take as many pictures as possible, the goal is over a thousand haha. The beaches do sound like a fun time so maybe I'll buy some new swim trunks and gear in advance. I've never been so excited before =D

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Enjoy the journey Fenix, don't forget to keep posting us. Hope you've an awesome experience and eat a lot of sushi for me...mmm

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Aww, I want to go to Japan! Hope you had fun!

Awards
Hate to bump about a month old post but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ this is still relevant since you haven't left yet!

Congrats on getting accepted to study abroad in Japan! I'm currently in Nagoya for study abroad, too, and will be extending my studies in Osaka during the summer.

Absolutely, visit the Shibuya if you can. It was definitely one of my must sees (because, ofc, twewy, even after all these years. i may or may not be listening to the soundtrack even now atm) Hachiko has his own exit from the train station. (I won't say it's easy to find, because, christ jesus, stations in Tokyo are a struggle, even for residents. But you can do it.) That exit will take you right to Hachiko. Most likely, there'll be a line for the guy, so prepare to wait. But generally people are polite and don't last too long.

For the Scramble, check the two-story Starbucks building right across the street from Hachiko. It towers right above Scramble Crossing. Me and a friend got a seat on the second floor and had a nice view of everything. If you want to catch good crowds, don't hit the Scramble too early, though. And right there to the... right of the Starbucks, I think? The 109 building. Nice stores inside. Towa Records is not too far, too. I could go on about Shibuya.

Harajuku is also a neat place, and is one train stop away. Swing by there if you can. Also located in Harajuku is the Meiji shrine, which is hidden within a forest right in the middle of the city. Check it out, you may catch a wedding there. (Particularly, for the shrines, I encourage you to pick up a goshuincho, which is basically a stamp book. Whenever you visit a shrine, you can get it stamped and signed for... 500 yen? 300? Forgot, pfft. Anyway. My friend just now told me about these books. Nice for memorabilia.)

And of course, there's other places, like Aki, Ike, Shinagawa... Tokyo Tower is cool. There's lots to do in Tokyo alone, honestly. If you want any merchandise (video games, books, anime.... hell, even electronics) secondhand stores are your best friends. For example, you'll see a lot of gachapon machines with some neat looking trinkets and figures inside. You can skip the lottery aspect of this (Japan seems to enjoy lotteries when it comes to merchandise) and find what you're looking for in secondhand stores, almost always.

Mind your manners all you want, but like? Don't get too hung-up if you feel like you're doing something wrong. (You probably are, but you're trying. So it's all good.)

If you want more info hmu on skype or something! (i don't kninsider anymore)

Congratulations, again. Japan is neat. You'll have fun.

Back