• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Green or non Green

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which product woudl you choose

• Green (environmentally friendly product)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Non-Green

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Doesn't Matter choose whichever

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
So recently I have entered a group at school in my Consumer Behavior class and we are to compare well the consumer behavior for the product. So we are comparing "green" products to non-green products. If you don't know what a green product is it is a product that tends to be more environmentally friendly such as a hybrid car.

So my question overall (not really picking out a specific product at the moment) is when making a purchasing decision if both a green and a non-green product is out there for same price which would you choose and why?

Please don't just say "green". Having an explanation is a little better.

Finland

Banshee Queen
Awards
I would take the one which looks nicer.
No, but really, I don't care. I never check if the product I'm buying is "green" or not.

Awards
I tend to be pretty jaded when it comes to Green vs. non-Green. People usually only think about the direct effects that their use of the product has on the environment, without regard to how the product was made. Oftentimes the developing process for "green" products is just as deleterious to the environment as the non-Green alternative, or much worse.

So in the end, my answer would probably rhyme best with Crimson's. If I had to choose one or the other, I would go green, but not with any sort of delusion that my purchase was making the slightest difference.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
If I had to choose between like substances, green. If I had to look and search for said green product, I would no longer care. The environment where I am is in pretty dang good condition despite my mom's love of clorox. Okay, that sounded mean... But it was truthful.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
"Which one works better?" is the question you'll hear from me. Whether it's green or not, I could care less.

Laz

KHI's Asz-Houl
I'd choose the green product. Because I care about the environment; don't get me wrong, I am not a treehugger. I just do what I can, when I can. "Small deeds" If you mus.

Zeph

imp of the perverse
I tend to lean more towards environment-friendly products whenever I can, because I do care about the environment. Whether or not it makes a difference singularly is highly doubtful, but that's why we have these environmentalists pushing for everyone to "go green". And while I do agree we need to be more environmentally conscious... it doesn't need to be taken to extremes.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Actually I am somewhat surprised by most of the statements and the lead in the poll so far. Though I didn't expect really anyone to choose a non-green product outright I also didn't expect that in the end it didn't matter much about if it was green or non-green, but instead efficiency mattered.

The more people that give their view the better. Thanks for all that did so thus far.

Candy Man

Green Lantern Battery
Going green is just another Hollywood fad. It'll pass.

I'll admit, some products have way too much chemicals and stuff in them, moire thsn necesarry. But if it gets it done better, I'll take the radioactive stufff, it hasn't harmed me yet.

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman
Green, hands down.

This isn't just some fad or stunt to make money, we are on the verge of running out resources. Did you know there are worries one day there will be wars over sources of freshwater? Well believe it, it is bound to happen with the crappy way everyone manages their natural resources. Finding alternative ways to manage everything is a must.

We can't just say "Oh, I am just one person, what will me harmlessly [insert wasteful/harmful use of resource here] do?" anymore. We need to stop being lazy and take that extra step forward to a more eco-friendly lifestyle that is both beneficial for nature, and for us. We need to drop this "It's not my problem." attitude and realize this earth is your home. It will be your child's home, and their kid's home, and every single descendent of yours for eternity. Our ancestors effed up majorly, and we are paying for it now. Imagine if this keeps up, what will our grandchildren have to do?

Every step counts people, no matter how small.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
This isn't just some fad or stunt to make money, we are on the verge of running out resources. Did you know there are worries one day there will be wars over sources of freshwater? Well believe it, it is bound to happen with the crappy way everyone manages their natural resources. Finding alternative ways to manage everything is a must.

Yeah, I read Dune, too.

Seriously, though, do you really believe that those "green" products you're buying were made out of the sheer benevolence of their producers?

We need to stop being lazy and take that extra step forward to a more eco-friendly lifestyle that is both beneficial for nature, and for us. We need to drop this "It's not my problem." attitude and realize this earth is your home. It will be your child's home, and their kid's home, and every single descendent of yours for eternity. Our ancestors effed up majorly, and we are paying for it now. Imagine if this keeps up, what will our grandchildren have to do?

Every step counts people, no matter how small.

...and you think that simply buying shit will be enough to save the environment? If you really want to help go plant some trees or use public transportation or something.

Buying "green" is more about feeding your own smug sense of self-righteousness than conservation.

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman
Yeah, I read Dune, too.

Never read it.

Seriously, though, do you really believe that those "green" products you're buying were made out of the sheer benevolence of their producers?

Are these non-green products any better? Something needs to be done, so give them a try. And if you are really that paranoid to the validity of the products, do research and see if they are what they say they are.

This isn't just some scam to make money, out environment is dying. There is no way we can just get the consumers to stop using these products that have become a part of their daily lives, but we can find substitutes that require more eco-friendly resources, are recycable, and meet the needs of the consumer.

...and you think that simply buying shit will be enough to save the environment? If you really want to help go plant some trees or use public transportation or something.

Actually, yes. Shit can be used to fertilize gardens/crops without the need of artificial supplements and genetic enhancements that bring about toxic substances in our bodies.

But to seriosuly answer your question, yes, buying this stuff is a step in the right direction. By using public transportation, planting trees, buying green products, and carefully manage your use of everyday products, benefits will arise. We need to just get past the sin known as Sloth and actually do these things instead of shrugging our shoulders.

Buying "green" is more about feeding your own smug sense of self-righteousness than conservation.

Quite the accusation. Didn't know you were aquainted with every single person in the world and thuis able to know the motives of every single person out there.

Come on, sure some people out there 'go green' to feel better about themselves or get in good with some organization, but you can't point this finger at everyone. Such a generalization is untrue because people such as myself care about the world we leave in and I want to make an earth worth living in for my family centuries to come.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Are these non-green products any better? Something needs to be done, so give them a try. And if you are really that paranoid to the validity of the products, do research and see if they are what they say they are.

I have, and they aren't.

This isn't just some scam to make money, out environment is dying. There is no way we can just get the consumers to stop using these products that have become a part of their daily lives, but we can find substitutes that require more eco-friendly resources, are recycable, and meet the needs of the consumer.

...and you think that shit you're buying is so much better than the shit you used to buy?

But to seriosuly answer your question, yes, buying this stuff is a step in the right direction.

A nanostep.

Quite the accusation. Didn't know you were aquainted with every single person in the world and thuis able to know the motives of every single person out there.

...and I didn't know that you were acquainted with every single person in the world and are thus able to know that everyone that doesn't buy "green" is a lazy sack of shit.

Come on, sure some people out there 'go green' to feel better about themselves or get in good with some organization, but you can't point this finger at everyone. Such a generalization is untrue because people such as myself care about the world we leave in and I want to make an earth worth living in for my family centuries to come.

Sure got really smug in here.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
I just buy what I want to buy, whether it's green or not. Green people can go die in a ditch, except the cool ones. Like the green arrow.

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman
I have, and they aren't.

Do tell, what products are we talking about? Lightbulbs that reduce energy? Clothes made from recycled plastic (just as comfortable and sent out to needy children)? I am not blind, some are a scam. But once again you generalize too much. There are green products out they that are real, but just like with all shopping you have to be smart and know what you are buying.

And btw, glad you did research. Too many people blindly flail there arms at this subject, good to see you aren't.

...and you think that shit you're buying is so much better than the shit you used to buy?

Either nearly as good, just as good, and even better depending on the product. Less wasteful as well and as the point is, it preserves the natural resources we have that are bound to run out. Sure, fine, we could continue using what we always have. It should last us awhile. And when it runs out? Bet then you'll wish we did more research into alternative resources and started using green products.

A nanostep.

A step forward is better than not moving at all.

...and I didn't know that you were acquainted with every single person in the world and are thus able to know that everyone that doesn't buy "green" is a lazy sack of shit.

Well well, this is fun >D

1. I never compared people who don't buy green to sacks of shit. Shit is useful and can be used to fertilize soil right away. We have to wait for people to die before being used as fertilizer. XD (joking ofc, anyone who takes offense needs to grow up)

2. Fun time aside, bravo to you. That was a good tactic of you to try avert the attention away from me calling you out and trying to reverse it. Kudos ^^;;

I never called them lazy sacks of s***, they have busy lives and such and ofc it may be hard for them to go green. But when you have the ability right in front of you to change for the better (and this can stem out to anything, not just buying green) and choose not to, that is being lazy. It is so simple to go green, everything is a given. People just tend to be closed-minded or think everything is a scam, a thought all too common amongst a majority of the world.

And before you go "Oh look, you know everyone and know they are all close-minded." and whatever, this is obvious. Majority of the world's 6 billion plus people are closed-minded, there is no arguing that and this isnt the place to do so.

Sure got really smug in here.

Orlynao? Is it smug to admit my motivation? I know who I am, I strive to promote growing green and am majoring in Environmental Science. I plan to do something about this problem facing our planet and everything living on it, including us. Us, from what I know, includes you too. This is our problem, we live on this planet and need to do something. Openly admitting I plan to do something about it and that I care about this planet is in no way smug, it's being honest and giving my point out. So watch what you say until you really know me.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Ok well slightly off now topic wise. It isn't asking do you buy what you buy, but given the choice between 2 products that are similar in price and similar in close to every category (i know not true but still) would you make the decision based on one being a "green" product or do you just grab one?

i personally believe all this go-green bullshit, is just some marketing scheme. and i have developed a special kind of hatred for enviromentally friendly products.

so i would go for the non-green product.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Do tell, what products are we talking about? Lightbulbs that reduce energy? Clothes made from recycled plastic (just as comfortable and sent out to needy children)? I am not blind, some are a scam. But once again you generalize too much. There are green products out they that are real, but just like with all shopping you have to be smart and know what you are buying.

Actually, yeah, I do get the coiled light bulbs, but that's because it saves me money in the long run.

Let's be honest. The real reason why you should be buying "green" is if it's economically as well as ecologically rational. You like to throw around accusations of sloth, but it is not sloth that keeps people from going "green." It is not always economically rational to do so. Why should one spend more money on a product that one can get just as easily for less money? If a family can barely make ends meet, do you really think they're going to give a shit about emissions?

Then again you could counter by calling for a lifestyle alteration, and I'd agree even though you wouldn't like you'd read.

And btw, glad you did research. Too many people blindly flail there arms at this subject, good to see you aren't.

I don't like ass-kissers.

Either nearly as good, just as good, and even better depending on the product. Less wasteful as well and as the point is, it preserves the natural resources we have that are bound to run out. Sure, fine, we could continue using what we always have. It should last us awhile. And when it runs out? Bet then you'll wish we did more research into alternative resources and started using green products.

The assumption is that these "green" products are genuinely thus. Also you assume that I advocate doing nothing, which is just a big faux pas on your part.

A step forward is better than not moving at all.

Perhaps, but it takes a long time to walk down the street with baby steps.

1. I never compared people who don't buy green to sacks of shit.

...but you do accuse them of committing a Deadly Sin.

2. Fun time aside, bravo to you. That was a good tactic of you to try avert the attention away from me calling you out and trying to reverse it. Kudos ^^;;

Awww, how cute...he's trying to condescend me.

I never called them lazy sacks of s***, they have busy lives and such and ofc it may be hard for them to go green.

Uh...hello? Accusations of Sloth?

But when you have the ability right in front of you to change for the better (and this can stem out to anything, not just buying green) and choose not to, that is being lazy.

The irony is you're telling me I should stop making gross oversimplifications. Believe it or not, not every "green" option is economically feasible (whether in regards to time or money).

It is so simple to go green, everything is a given. People just tend to be closed-minded or think everything is a scam, a thought all too common amongst a majority of the world.

And before you go "Oh look, you know everyone and know they are all close-minded." and whatever, this is obvious. Majority of the world's 6 billion plus people are closed-minded, there is no arguing that and this isnt the place to do so.

People may be "close-minded," but we can use this to our advantage if we truly want to be "green." Instead of just asking people to spend more to get "green" products, we should focus on making "green" products more affordable. We need to make it rational to go "green."

Orlynao? Is it smug to admit my motivation?

No, but it is smug to assume that people are lazy if they don't agree with your views.

I know who I am, I strive to promote growing green and am majoring in Environmental Science. I plan to do something about this problem facing our planet and everything living on it, including us.

...as do I.

Us, from what I know, includes you too. This is our problem, we live on this planet and need to do something.

I agree; however, it's not about buying hybrids or "all natural" goods. By simply buying "green" products as they are now, we ultimately are just buying more shit except it produces a different kind(s) waste.

Openly admitting I plan to do something about it and that I care about this planet is in no way smug, it's being honest and giving my point out.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

So watch what you say until you really know me.

You eat babies and have sex with other species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back