• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Green Monsters in Monstro?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards

Hello all,

A long time ago, younger me was playing kingdom hearts and attempting to beat it for the first time. He got as far as monstro at one point but couldn't figure out the crazy maze inside the whale, so he figured he would talk to Geppetto and see if he had anything to say about navigation,
Then Geppetto said this:
4CTMZTJ0Ki5s_EPTbq50J8PZjxJAIPB_hlCgZhlYKM6yddRzse8FkKKoL0Nt6HUXMRtpJO6zup5xuW2OKNPGzoyMFwdFJKu5BRVCLIYCVWFhkclhBi2Z4qKR0g0Wt91QyAHhJiGc

oYyPB7AScbGgMf5IUYWd3c1KPO774kSzV0aswoc4f5a4h0g6-J9IY6Kr-88A3slKxOY172luyHSwqTUWAlFXGBSptD6J1CY7uo-YqyXtFJ2Ii1z4t0vxns9uR7Bg5X9eRblmid9j

This made my mind wonder what he was talking about, Green monsters like the heartless? In the original kingdom hearts, only 2 heartless were primarily green (Green Requiem and Screwdiver) but only the requiem was in Monstro, which didn't do anything aside from heal your foes. What I want to know is if there are green monsters in the game that do this, or if Geppetto's been drinking too much seawater and is delusional.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Huh, I don't remember this line at all! For what it's worth, following the green doors in Monstro will eventually lead to the stomach and the boss fight, but the line is clearly referring to monsters!

Soldier

Awards
Would they even be considered doors? i always just thought of them as glowing hallways as a kid, and i know Sora willingly walked into them (unless the heartless pushed him in).

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
The only green monsters floating around I can think of are the Requiems, maybe he's hinting at how they lure you towards more Heartless.

Soldier

Awards
That could very well be it, but i always thought of it like a new enemy, that literally pushes you further into monstro. Although one thing i'm wondering, is when did the requiems start appearing in the first kingdom hearts? was it traverse town 2nd visit? Then they wouldn't be a new enemy for Sora to fight when he reached the second set of worlds.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
'cept there's really no enemy that does that, and Gepetto doesn't mention anything about new enemies.
He also wouldn't know which enemies Sora has met anyway.

Unless he somehow sees green on the ghost Heartless, which were first encountered in Monstro.

Soldier

Awards
It's also worth noting that Geppetto is like most of the Disney characters, he knows very little of the heartless, gummi blocks, etc and for all we know, Green Requiems could've been a part of the assault on Prankster's paradise when it fell to darkness. Either that, or Geppetto is colorblind, he is an old man after all.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
For some reason, I always assumed he was talking about Search Ghosts even though they aren’t green, just because they grab at you and then you have to chase them down or wait for them to reappear. I guess it does make more sense that he was referring to Green Requiems, since they always fly away from you like a lure.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I'm inclined to suspect something was lost in translation.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I want to believe it was meant to be a clue that you need to go through the green doorway, but was mistranslated horribly. I would love it if someone had the Japanese version so we could compare the text.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Hmm, interesting. I'm playing the jp version so unless someone solves this before then I'll definitely pay attention to what he says on my next run. The english line really doesn't seem to make much sense.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Hmm, interesting. I'm playing the jp version so unless someone solves this before then I'll definitely pay attention to what he says on my next run. The english line really doesn't seem to make much sense.

Right before killing dumbo for being useless.

Now I actually want to know the german line here..

SignError

I was recently replaying KH1 and I figured it out. In monstro there are circular doors that go through the different chambers. But some of the doors actually take you back to previously visited rooms. You will eventually figure out which way to go with trial and error. But if you pay close attention, a Green Requiem heartless always spawns above the door that you need to go through to progress in the level.

If you return to Monstro later in the game after the enemy spawns change, I’m not sure that is still the case, so you have to see it on your first visit.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Wow. Thanks for the follow-up. So, had they been appearing upon immediately entering the new area or do you need to be within range of the spawn area? Also, are there other green requiems that spawn in mobs that aren't close to the correct paths? Because that could get confusing with all of them flying around.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I was recently replaying KH1 and I figured it out. In monstro there are circular doors that go through the different chambers. But some of the doors actually take you back to previously visited rooms. You will eventually figure out which way to go with trial and error. But if you pay close attention, a Green Requiem heartless always spawns above the door that you need to go through to progress in the level.

If you return to Monstro later in the game after the enemy spawns change, I’m not sure that is still the case, so you have to see it on your first visit.

I'm consistently impressed by all of the weird little gameplay quirks in KH1. What a fantastic game.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm consistently impressed by all of the weird little gameplay quirks in KH1. What a fantastic game.
There are games nowadays that still pay close attention to detail, but with increasing dev costs and faster and broader release schedules, it's kinda hard for a team to be more focused.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Wow. Thanks for the follow-up. So, had they been appearing upon immediately entering the new area or do you need to be within range of the spawn area? Also, are there other green requiems that spawn in mobs that aren't close to the correct paths? Because that could get confusing with all of them flying around.

The correct pathways also glow green so you don't need to rely on the Requiems. I believe this was mentioned in the Ultimania.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
The correct pathways also glow green so you don't need to rely on the Requiems. I believe this was mentioned in the Ultimania.

Yeah, I think I do remember that. So, they implemented a couple of different clues. Still, I'm curious about the enemy AI and if they were possibly tailored differently for that specific world / segment. Just another reason to saunter gaily through KH1 again~

Back