• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Grandia Series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinany Gun

Bronze Member
I have just finished Grandia last night for the Playstation. Although the game itself was fairly damaged and froze on the worst moments possible i eventually finished it. In spite of this and the news that Grandia 3 is in the works i am curious to see who here has played and finished any of the grandia games and what they thought of it. I personally enjoyed Grandia, although i've played through it and lost my save file a long time ago before restarting with this preowned copy i found several years later.

So how many of you have played through a grandia game and whats your view on it?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Overview of Grandia's plot:
Spunky, spiky-haired kid: "Let's go 'splorin'!"
*everyone goes 'splorin'*
Everyone: "Oh n0z...there's a bad guy about to do what bad guys do. Let's stop him."
*They manage to stop him.*
Everyone: "Hooray! We saved the world!"
Spunky, spikey-haired kid: "I have become a man now."
~Fin

Yanos_Darkspawn

I liked Grandia II, it has a very good combat system.
I think its more deeper than that Square Ninja, but if you reduce it to the basic, most of rpg are like that

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Yanos_Darkspawn said:
I liked Grandia II, it has a very good combat system.
I think its more deeper than that Square Ninja, but if you reduce it to the basic, most of rpg are like that

Oh yes, like Final Fantasy IV...wait, no...Final Fantasy VI...no...Xenogears...definitely not...Baldur's Gate...no...you know what? I can't think of any as painfully dull as Grandia.

The first Grandia was neat because of its battle system. If you're looking for gripping narrative, you won't find it there.

Yanos_Darkspawn

Square Ninja said:
Oh yes, like Final Fantasy IV...wait, no...Final Fantasy VI...no...Xenogears...definitely not...Baldur's Gate...no...you know what? I can't think of any as painfully dull as Grandia.

The first Grandia was neat because of its battle system. If you're looking for gripping narrative, you won't find it there.
baldurs gate? the ps2 version has any plot at all? and you intentionally avoided the games that were along the base of your previous statement, for example KH,FFVII,FFVIII,FFIX,FFX,Golden sun, fire emblem,dungeon siege breath of fire(I think I could go on forever)

Deep parts(IMO) about Grandia II(no spoilers), the little girl part( the one with the eye), and the revelation of the bad guy

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Yanos_Darkspawn said:
baldurs gate? the ps2 version has any plot at all?

Guess what. Baldur's Gate was a PC game long before they made it a Diablo clone for the consoles. Those games actually require some thought to play, and the plot is anything but typical.

While I'm at it:
Fallout
Planescape Torment
Deus Ex
Shin Megami Tensei

Awards
I played the first Grandia up until they reach the End of the World (the big wall, i think) after that i dont think i ever rented it again for some reason. The combat system was pretty good, IMO, but the story did seem rather lacklustre. The second Grandia showed similar attributes. The combat system was improved, and the story was a little better. The only thing i didnt like all that much were the graphics. But im just picky.

Yanos_Darkspawn

Square Ninja said:
Guess what. Baldur's Gate was a PC game long before they made it a Diablo clone for the consoles. Those games actually require some thought to play, and the plot is anything but typical.

While I'm at it:
Fallout
Planescape Torment
Deus Ex
Shin Megami Tensei

Fallout doesnt have a great history, its the game system what is the fun thing, I havent played Planetscape, Deux ex is not a RPG at all, it only takes a few elements of RPGs, and Megaten are original, but for example, in Nocturne, you can reduce the game to the basic plot you made,(oh lets go exploring, exploring and in the end, fight a bad guy)

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Yanos_Darkspawn said:
...and Megaten are original, but for example, in Nocturne, you can reduce the game to the basic plot you made,(oh lets go exploring, exploring and in the end, fight a bad guy)

You could essentially make this generalization, but it's a much more accurate description of Grandia than it is anything else.

Yanos_Darkspawn

Square Ninja said:
You could essentially make this generalization, but it's a much more accurate description of Grandia than it is anything else.

Ok, you have your opinion, and I respect that, but I think that there are more RPGs around with simple and lees enjoyable plots than the one from Grandia II(I havent played any other part of the series)

Machinany Gun

Bronze Member
I just got a lend of Grandia II there yesterday and am playing through it now. I kinda liked Grandia more but thats my opinion. Squares kinda right in reguards to Grandia being simple storywise but his summary could be kinda applied to a lot of RPG's. Maybe not the same substance but the number of lines could be similar.

Still, those rpg's square mentioned i haven't played any of them except FFVI Rom. The game itself however seemed like it had potential but i didn't play enough to really get the story.

JapanesePanda

Grandia 2 is brilliant, I loved every minute of that game, the story was engaging and the battle system was one of the best I've ever seen in an RPG. I've never played the original, unfortunately. I will deffo get the third one though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back