• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Grandfather Paradox

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krimsun Monkeh

Bronze Member
I don't know if anyone has seen this yet but I was looking around and I found this. I thought it was pretty interesting. What are your thoughts ?

KingBlade

by sinspire^
Well, Time Travel isn't something we can figure out.

After, long thoughts of processing it. This is how I believe will happen:

1) The Time Traveler will go back in time to before the Traveler's grandfather meet the Traveler's grandmother.
2) The Traveler will kill his own grandfather, therefore no longer does the Traveler's Father or Mother exist, ending that the Traveler does not exist.
3) If, the Travel does not exist, it means he can not kill his grandfather, therefore he does exist to kill his grandfather.

The three steps which, are the story in fact will keep repeating. The life of the Traveler will end at the moment he/she kills his/her grandfather. Only to keep repeating in time which, shows time travel maybe have these incorrect flaws where, these things may repeat.

If, we think of it in another way. If, in other universes do exist, this would be also like a bridge between them that would be breaking and rebuilding itself to reenact the duties of the time traveler.

Candy Man

Green Lantern Battery
Ever seen Deva 'Ju? It's rather good, it reminded me of this. In that an alternate reality was created through saving the life of an already dead woman, causing the previous universe to cease to exist.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, it would indeed loop and contradict itself, but that is assuming that is all occurs on the same timeline. It could follow the Dragonball Z method, in which there are multiple timelines. When Trunks went back in time and altered the past, it only affected that past's future, not his own. Even though many events had been altered or had even not existed at all, it had no affect on his own timeline. The Androids still existed and everyone who died was still dead.

So in other words, killing his grandfather in the past would only cease the family line in that timeline, but nothing would change in his own, thus not ending his own existence and creating no paradox.

TwilightPrinces

Website
www.myspace.com
Surprisingly I understand this, and I agree with everyone above me that they would be stuck in a time loop continuously doing it over and over and...over again....but that was if time travel were real :D

Candy Man

Green Lantern Battery
Well, it would indeed loop and contradict itself, but that is assuming that is all occurs on the same timeline. It could follow the Dragonball Z method, in which there are multiple timelines. When Trunks went back in time and altered the past, it only affected that past's future, not his own. Even though many events had been altered or had even not existed at all, it had no affect on his own timeline. The Androids still existed and everyone who died was still dead.

So in other words, killing his grandfather in the past would only cease the family line in that timeline, but nothing would change in his own, thus not ending his own existence and creating no paradox.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened in Deja 'Vu. It didn't show the alternate universe though.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, you said in Deja Vu, the previous universe ceased to exist. That's not the case with the DBZ example.

Candy Man

Green Lantern Battery
Well, they stated it would cease to exist in theory. By technicality(sp?), it was an alternate him that saved her, whcih then shortly therafter died, so an alternate reality was never confirmed.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Theseus's Ship is my personal favorite.

It asks this: If you take a piece of a ship and replace it, and then do the same to every original piece over time, is it still the same ship?

D

Destiny of Sora

Time travel is impossible, because time is just an illusion created by man. There is only the present time, and that's all there ever will be.

However, ignoring the fact that it's impossible, I agree with KH Vandread in the sense that his own time would not be affected, it would continue on as if time had not been changed. As soon as Trunks changed something in the past, it created a completely new timeline.

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure, but I don't see how "time" can be erased.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Time travel is impossible, because time is just an illusion created by man. There is only the present time, and that's all there ever will be.

Flight is impossible, because flight is just a delusion of man.

With the current technology and understanding of the cosmos it's improbable, yes, but you cannot simple rule it out because we don't have the science for it today.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Time travel is impossible, because time is just an illusion created by man.

You're not familiar with Einstein's theories, are you? Time is not an illusion; it is as real as space. Hell, according to his theories, time and space are one, and there is no distinction between the 2.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
It's like talking about width, length and depth. Time is as different from depth as width is from length and so on, as I understand it. If we can travel in the 3 dimensions of space, why not time?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
It's like talking about width, length and depth. Time is as different from depth as width is from length and so on, as I understand it. If we can travel in the 3 dimensions of space, why not time?

Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but I can see where you're going with this. Think along the lines of Flatland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back