• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Grand Theft Auto III and War of the Monsters Finally Hit PS2 Classics This Tuesday

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
GTA III and War of the Monsters Hitting PSN July 31st | RipTen Videogame Blog

While the PSOne Classics section of the PlayStation Network can boast just about every hit (and some slightly lesser) title that was released on that console, the PlayStation 2 section remains woefully incomplete, with only twenty-two (at the time of writing) titles available. Sony is set to make the offering a little bit better by the end of this month, though, with two more titles set to become available on July 31st.
The first is a little game you may have heard of: Grand Theft Auto III. That’s right, the title that arguably created the format for open-world games developers still follow to this day will be available for download starting next Tuesday. Developer Rockstar struck gold with this release, catapulting both their own name and the Grand Theft Auto franchise into mainstream success. With the release of Grand Theft Auto V somewhere on the horizon, now isn’t a bad time to take a look at the progress the series has made over the years. Personally, I’ll be waiting for a PSN release of Vice City, but I’ll probably grab this one, too.
The other, somewhat rougher gem Sony will be posting is War of the Monsters, a 3D fighting game letting you take control of ten overgrown monsters, some pulled straight from movies like King K0ng and Godzilla, and do battle in destructible city environments. This one may have passed you by when it originally released in 2003, but Incognito Entertainment is definitely deserving of praise for taking the concept of Rampage and making it oh-so-much better. There were some camera issues, and the enemy AI could sometimes get annoying, but overall, it’s unquestionably a title worth checking out, especially if you’ve never played it.
Pricing on these two releases is, as of yet, unconfirmed, but the other titles in the PlayStation 2 Classics library sell at $9.99, so you might be able to grab both of these titles for a cool $20. At the same time, the PSOne Classics has a pricing structure that varies depending on the overall popularity of the game. That being the case, it wouldn’t be terribly surprising to see GTA III, at least, sell for a little bit more than the usual $9.99. Although, since none of the available titles have gone over the $9.99 mark, I can’t say that wouldn’t be a little disappointing.

Soooo happy about this. LOVED War of the Monsters all those years ago. The disc copy that I owned was lost by a cousin though, and I have been dying to play it again. I was desperate for this to come tot he Classics section!

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
WAR OF THE MOMSTERS! I remember that game!
Good times.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I never actually got to play GTA III. When I was a kid, all I played was Vice City. Will be sure to pick this up.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Splitscreen still works right in PS2 Classics right? I heard that multiplayer didn't work in any of them but I understand that this just means online multiplayer doesn't work.

Do you guys think that WotM coming to PS2 Classics has anything to do with my share.playstation.blog topic a week or two ago?

War of the Monsters on PS2 Classics – PlayStation.Blog Share

It just seems like a strange coincidence that as soon as I posted this they fulfill the request. Maybe I'm just trying to take the credit for it XD

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Maybe, but I hope this also means GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas also coming soon to PSN they know we'd really love to have them.

Matter of fact finally got rid of GTA III from my PS2 Disc based collection because of this news.

(Can't play the PS2 anymore and don't feel like buying a PS2 again)

Shinjuku

Entrapment
That sucks I just got rid of my disc based GTA for this lol oh well can't cry over spill milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back