• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Good place to start?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaeljay

Hi, I am getting this game and 2.5 HD remix tomorrow, and I want to know if these are a good place to start. I know they pretty much have the whole series built into them (besides a couple games), but is it worth buying over the originals?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I'd say play em in the order that the discs present. KH1 -> Re:CoM -> Days -> KHII -> BBS -> Re:Coded.

Absolutely worth it. I mean, you get four games (and two games' worth of cutscenes) for the price of two. And since they're both for the PS3, you don't have to go through the trouble of hunting down 3 different systems (two of which are outdated) to experience them all. Oh, and KH1, II, and BBS are in their Final mix versions, which are much better than the originals.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I always recommend it like this:

play KHI -> play/watch (RE:)CoM -> play KHII -> watch Days -> watch/play Re:Coded -> play DDD

Or basically just
I.5 -> II.5 -> II.8

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'd agree on KH 1, Re:CoM, KH2, Days, BBS, Re:Coded (basically sorted by release date) and then, if you have a 3DS, play 3D, or really just wait for II.8 to release for the PS4.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Start with 1.5, and play the games in the order that they appear on the disc. It's the way they were intended to be played and it's why they were placed in that order. it's the best way for first-timers.

To answer your actual question, they are a fantastic place to start. Like Osprey said, they are better versions than the originals, and being that no story content was cut out from them, it is the best possible place to start in the series, and is worth buying over the originals. I don't advise playing on Beginner if you have any experience with games, but that's just my opinion. A little challenge is great for the experience.

Awards
I prefer release order with the HD remixes. So KH1 -> Re:CoM[using the original CoM's release date] -> KH2 -> 358/2 Days -> BBS -> Re:Coded -> 2.8 HD.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I always suggest order of release.

KH1 -> CoM/Re:CoM -> KH2-> Days -> BBS -> Re:Coded

Then either get a 3DS and play DDD or watch it online, or wait for it's re-release on the PS4, which will also contain Back Cover, a movie based on what's happening behind the scenes of X[chi], and A Fragmentary Passage, which is a interquel/KH3 prologue/demo of sorts.

and being that no story content was cut out from them,
*looks at the Days cinematic removing important dialogue, having important cutscenes becoming glossed over in walls of text, and a fight*

...You should also go and watch 358/2 Days' original DS version online (the game itself isn't that good, so you wouldn't really be missing anything from just watching it, aside from maybe some silly random dialogue.)

Hirokey123

Awards
I'll second watching Days the game not the movie, the movie is abysmal it gives you the bare minimum of what you need to know and cuts out a lot of key things as well as the heart and soul of the game itself which is watching Roxas, Xion, and Axel grow as characters. Cyberman65 on youtube has an HD playthrough which is probably the best way to watch it. I mean it's not true HD but it's being played on a higher resolution than the DS resolution so you can appreciate how nice the game actually looks. He even subbed out the low quality scenes of the DS version with their voiced HD movie equivalent if they had one. I think it's probably THE go to way to experience Days...well unless you're like me and like the gameplay then just playing the game is best.

Otherwise I second the order of KH1>CoM>Days>KH2>BBS>Coded>DDD or in other words 1.5>2.5>2.8 though I don't actually think it matters if you play Days before or after KH2. In the end one of those games are going to be showing some pretty big spoilers but for plot flow I think Days > KH2 feels a lot better and everything in both game as a whole feels more meaningful.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Okay, it could be me, but I thought the Days movie in I.5 was a LOT better than the actual game. Maybe because I never was a big fan of anything in the game...

No Heart

Watch Days after KH 2 or all the magic is gone and I mean it cause I did that. There was really not as much suspense and Days was released after KH 2.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Watch Days after KH 2 or all the magic is gone and I mean it cause I did that. There was really not as much suspense and Days was released after KH 2.

I think it doesn't matter that much. If you play KH2 before Days, you get your hopes up for Days...buuuuuuuuuut I do agree it's better to get to know Rox in KH2 first.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Yes definitively start from KH1 and go down the order of the games. Basically what everyone else said. xD

Muke

whatever
Awards
But if you play Days before KHII, where's the tension?
Like, you already know all the ORG Members, so you can tell who is whom by their voice even if they're hooded.

Idk

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
*looks at the Days cinematic removing important dialogue, having important cutscenes becoming glossed over in walls of text, and a fight*

...You should also go and watch 358/2 Days' original DS version online (the game itself isn't that good, so you wouldn't really be missing anything from just watching it, aside from maybe some silly random dialogue.)

I'm honestly a little surprised that so many people make such a fuss over the Roxas/Saix fight being left out of the cinematic version, I can understand people pointing out that scene in Agrabah where Roxas plants the devices which really shows how it looks like inside him by then as it is a huge oversight that this one wasn't put in, but that Saix-fight? It was not even that important and nothing really story-relevant happens there as Saix is just his usual jerkass-self and plays the doorkeeper. Roxas just beats him up and leaves without any further interest/attention and there's no meaningful information added to the plate.

As for further "important" dialogue, what exactly was it aside from that Agrabah scene? The "That's a stick"-scene was funny but not really that relevant.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I'm honestly a little surprised that so many people make such a fuss over the Roxas/Saix fight being left out of the cinematic version, I can understand people pointing out that scene in Agrabah where Roxas plants the devices which really shows how it looks like inside him by then as it is a huge oversight that this one wasn't put in, but that Saix-fight? It was not even that important and nothing really story-relevant happens there as Saix is just his usual jerkass-self and plays the doorkeeper. Roxas just beats him up and leaves without any further interest/attention and there's no meaningful information added to the plate.
I think people feel strongly about it because Saix is pretty much the game's only real antagonist, and, (especially if you love Xion and hated whenever Saix hurt her feels) people felt catharsis from kickin the shit out of him and wanted that shown.

That's my guess anyway.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I think people feel strongly about it because Saix is pretty much the game's only real antagonist, and, (especially if you love Xion and hated whenever Saix hurt her feels) people felt catharsis from kickin the shit out of him and wanted that shown.

That's my guess anyway.

From that angle it could make some sense, especially since DiZ, Xemnas and Riku, the supposed main antagonists of this title, got wasted due to blackhole-Xion requiring all attention.

It is still ironic though that it comes to the "catharsis" factor since there are several other characters who "hurt other characters' feelings/are mean to them" (Riku to Sora in KH 1, Larxene to Sora in CoM, Marluxia to Naminé in CoM, Vanitas to Ventus in BBS etc.) and yet several of those actually have quite the fan following despite being "assholes" just as Saix is in their particular roles in these titles.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
From that angle it could make some sense, especially since DiZ, Xemnas and Riku, the supposed main antagonists of this title, got wasted due to blackhole-Xion requiring all attention.

It is still ironic though that it comes to the "catharsis" factor since there are several other characters who "hurt other characters' feelings/are mean to them" (Riku to Sora in KH 1, Larxene to Sora in CoM, Marluxia to Naminé in CoM, Vanitas to Ventus in BBS etc.) and yet several of those actually have quite the fan following despite being "assholes" just as Saix is in their particular roles in these titles.

Saix doesn't have a fanbase? I'd say there are a lot more Saix-fans than Larxene-fans (also because he's way more important).
As for Riku, I think many disliked him at least before Hollow Bastion in KH1 simply because of what he did. I think that's the catch. Riku has turned good again eventually. If Saix / Isa were to be "nice" to Axel again or somehow prove that their friendship is real...I dunno, maybe he'd gain more friends. But at this point, he's the one who threw their friendship and then belittles Axel for finding new friends...which is...a dick-move, really.

Awards
But if you play Days before KHII, where's the tension?
Like, you already know all the ORG Members, so you can tell who is whom by their voice even if they're hooded.

Idk
Exactly. That's why release order is best order for first timers! :3

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

As for further "important" dialogue, what exactly was it aside from that Agrabah scene? The "That's a stick"-scene was funny but not really that relevant.
Pointing out the removal of the Saix fight isn't the same as fussing over it (I just find it peculiar.)

With important dialogue I mainly speak of Xemnas' line of "So sleep has taken you once again." (and I believe the mentioning of the Chamber of Waking was also removed but I can't remember) but also, due to the cinematic putting more focus on Roxas' interaction with just Xion and Axel, part of Roxas' character development is lost due to some of his character interaction becoming either being glossed over are not mentioned at all.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Pointing out the removal of the Saix fight isn't the same as fussing over it (I just find it peculiar.)

With important dialogue I mainly speak of Xemnas' line of "So sleep has taken you once again." (and I believe the mentioning of the Chamber of Waking was also removed but I can't remember) but also, due to the cinematic putting more focus on Roxas' interaction with just Xion and Axel, part of Roxas' character development is lost due to some of his character interaction becoming either being glossed over are not mentioned at all.

Heh, I wasn't intending to step on anyone's toes. It just gets mentioned so often and I wonder why since it really didn't add anything remotely important.

They had to cut down the material somewhere and the "subplot" (if you can even call it that) with the chamber went nowhere anyways even in the game itself, so they cut it as not important enough. In the HD movie if I recall correctly the only mentioning of the chamber is between Saix and Axel in two different scenes.
That one line from Xemnas also isn't that much of a loss storywise when looking at the broader picture since I think the notion that Roxas fell asleep during the first week was also taken out (or only referred to in text form).

I agree with the notions of missing interactions with other characters regarding Roxas' character development though, especially the parts with some Disney characters like Phil and Genie, that's an area they cut out too much (and not including that particular scene in Agrabah I see truly as a huge error).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back