• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Godzilla series - [symphonic hymning intensifies]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Godzilla series

I'm positive this movie is going to start a new series of Godzilla movies, if not I might die because this stuff looks awesome.

Gram

Banned
Awards

It looks more promising with each trailer.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

I love how it seems this film will really have an emotional story that accompanies the human cast. That was a huge element that made the original 1954 film so great. You really cared about Dr. Serizawa, Emiko, Ogata and Professor Yamane and what they were going through as the monster's rampage was happening. If this film can nail that element down, I think it'll go on to become a classic film.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

Holy fuck. This looks fantastic. Bryan Cranston? Yes please!

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

I love how it seems this film will really have an emotional story that accompanies the human cast. That was a huge element that made the original 1954 film so great. You really cared about Dr. Serizawa, Emiko, Ogata and Professor Yamane and what they were going through as the monster's rampage was happening. If this film can nail that element down, I think it'll go on to become a classic film.

this is also something that similar movies usually do quite wrong. just look at the transformers films: nobody cares at all about the human cast because they are weak, paper thin characters who contribute nothing to the film's enjoyment.

if they can actually make us care about the human element in this film, it's going to be damn awesome.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards

Yes good point. I hope they focus on the human side as well. Bryan Cranston's performance just from this last trailer gives me hope that they will. Also since it seems there will be another monster in this one what do you guys think it is?

Theart

Awards

Yes good point. I hope they focus on the human side as well. Bryan Cranston's performance just from this last trailer gives me hope that they will. Also since it seems there will be another monster in this one what do you guys think it is?

There's actually two; they're called Mutos. One is male and the other is a female. :)

Theart

Awards

I'm seeing the film early tonight! :) Will report later tonight!

Theart

Awards

I'll say more when I get home, but for now: This movie is classic.

Theart

Awards

Just going to copy-and-paste what I just posted at another forum:

I can confirm it: this Godzilla film is absolutely incredible.
headbang.gif
It feels like a classic Spielberg-esque film, such as Jaws or Jurassic Park. There are some moments in this film that I think are going to go down in movie history. Without giving any details away, I think the sequence leading up to and including Godzilla's full reveal is right up there with the T-Rex's debut in Jurassic Park.

The acting is top notch, the cinematography is gorgeous, the story is good and the special effects are breathtaking. Not only do Godzilla and his two monster opponents look and feel real, they clearly have personalities and emotions to them, in a primal, animalistic way. There are moments where you can see just how ancient Godzilla is by the look in his eyes and you can tell when he's smirking or when he's physically exhausted. This translates into their fight in the film, which are pretty brutal. If you want a good idea of what the fight looks like, look up some videos on YouTube of bears fighting one another. It's surprisingly realistic.

One thing that some might criticize, though I think it's a huge boon for the film, is its conservative behavior. The main focus of the film is Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character and his journey (which I personally loved), so the film skips out on a majority of Godzilla's first fight in the film (though footage of it is shown on a news channel) and a good portion of the destruction laid to waste on cities like Las Vegas by the monsters is skipped over too, instead showing the horrific aftermath. Furthermore, we don't get that full-on introduction of Godzilla until about the forty-five minute or first hour mark.

As I said, I still think it's a boon for the film. This film has a human heart to it that I love and it makes the kaiju moments all the more glorious when they do show up. The film is also conservative with Godzilla utilizing his atomic breath, but both times it appears in the film are among my personal highlights of the film. The whole theater applauded multiple times through out the whole film, including Godzilla's introduction, but I think the two biggest reactions were when he used the breath. The first one is a slow buildup and the second one is the surprise money-shot of the film.

Furthermore, the film itself has a bit of a personality to it too. There's one or two really effective scare moments in the film that got reactions out of us, for example, and there's also a fair share of humor and emotion to it too.

As for the human cast... Bryan Cranston steals all of his scenes. Phenomenal performance on his part. Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen were both great and I really liked ATJ's character. His journey is pretty sweet.

The other big highlight is Ken Watanabe as Dr. Serizawa, the single most important human character in the classic Godzilla franchise. Apparently a fair amount of his character development/background was cut and put into the accompanying graphic novel, Godzilla Awakening or whatever (which I read some of) and what little of it that I knew definitely influenced my viewing of his character. He's a smart and interesting character with some great one-liners, but he doesn't really develop much here. I don't see the Brody family (T-J and Olsen) returning in future films, but I'm really hoping that Serizawa carries over as the main or recurring character over the course of the inevitable sequels. There's a lot of potential there with that character and I think Watanabe can potentially go on to turn him into an even more iconic and important character to the franchise than he already was.

Lastly... the director. Gareth Edwards. I loved his previous film, Monsters, but this was something else entirely. I read somewhere that Legendary Pictures apparently hooked Watanabe's interest in the film by telling him that Edwards was the next Chris Nolan. I'd have to disagree... as much as I love Nolan's work, I have a feeling that Edwards could very likely go beyond him. This man is a director to keep your eyes on, ladies and gentlemen. Mark my words.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

Goddamnit Theart, stop hying me up so much. I'm gonna blame you in the unlikely event the hype backfires. :/

Theart

Awards

Goddamnit Theart, stop hying me up so much. I'm gonna blame you in the unlikely event the hype backfires. :/

While I doubt the hype will backfire, I guess I can help ease it a little: The film isn't perfect. As I said, while Watanabe's Serizawa is a highlight, he's not really developed all that much. And since the film really focuses on ATJ's character, your opinion of the film might be influenced by what you think of him and his story. I personally loved it. :)

I'd give the film a 9/10 myself, because while it's not absolutely perfect, there's some downright incredible moments in this film. I seriously believe that some of these scenes could go on to become classic scenes in film history.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

Yeah, I doubt I'll be dissapointed. I think it releases this week here, might watch it on Friday. :3

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

Speaking of reviews. Imdb users are complaining it's not like the 1998 American remake, and is like the original Japanese movie.

Last edited:

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards

One thing that some might criticize, though I think it's a huge boon for the film, is its conservative behavior. The main focus of the film is Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character and his journey (which I personally loved), so the film skips out on a majority of Godzilla's first fight in the film (though footage of it is shown on a news channel) and a good portion of the destruction laid to waste on cities like Las Vegas by the monsters is skipped over too, instead showing the horrific aftermath. Furthermore, we don't get that full-on introduction of Godzilla until about the forty-five minute or first hour mark.

Wait the movie is not all just Godzilla? Not watching..... Just kidding. :p Can't wait to see Bryan Cranston's scenes. How big of a character is he anyways? Do the other monsters get any backstory/explanation or are they just thrown in?

Speaking of reviews. Imdb users are complaining it's not like the 1998 American remake, and is like the original Japanese movie.

Wait they're complaining that it's more like the original than the '98 version? :/

Theart

Awards

Wait the movie is not all just Godzilla? Not watching..... Just kidding. :p Can't wait to see Bryan Cranston's scenes. How big of a character is he anyways? Do the other monsters get any backstory/explanation or are they just thrown in?

Cranston's not in as much of the film as the media seems to portray him as being. But as I said in the review, he shines every time he's onscreen in the film.

As for the other monsters, they do indeed have a backstory/explanation which I really liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back