• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Ghost in the Shell (2017) - New Trailer

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
U7IdsTv.jpg

The film, which is based on the famous Kodansha Comics manga series of the same name, written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow, is produced by Avi Arad (“THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2,” “IRON MAN”), Ari Arad (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”), and Steven Paul (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”). Michael Costigan (“PROMETHEUS”), Tetsu Fujimura (“TEKKEN”), Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, whose animation studio Production I.G produced the Japanese "GHOST IN THE SHELL” film and television series, and Jeffrey Silver (“EDGE OF TOMORROW,” “300”) will executive produce.

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “GHOST IN THE SHELL” follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’s advancements in cyber technology.

“We are so pleased to be in Wellington to shoot ‘GHOST IN THE SHELL,’” said producers Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Michael Costigan and Jeffrey Silver. “The city boasts state-of-the-art production facilities and a rich urban landscape that make it an ideal setting for a sci-fi action film. The crew-base in New Zealand working on the film is first class, and working with Sir Richard Taylor and the team at Weta Workshop is inspirational on every level. The people of New Zealand have been terrific partners in helping us bring this story and its beloved characters to audiences around the world and we are thankful for their continued hospitality.”

First Look: Scarlett Johansson In Anime Adaptation ‘Ghost | The Playlist

So...yeah. This is a thing I'm sure we all are well acquainted with. Here is the first image of Scarlett Johansson as the Major.

Other news that came out recently was that Beat Takeshi, one of the most iconic actors in Japan, will be Chief Aramaki.

Beat Takeshi to Star in Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Ghost inÂ*the Shell’ | Variety

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Re: Ghost in the Shell (2017)

No thanks, Hollywood.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com

I never read Ghost in the Shell, purely out of laziness. Is it worth the read? And if so, could Hollywood make a decent live-adaptation movie? Or are we in for Last Airbender 2?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I never read Ghost in the Shell, purely out of laziness. Is it worth the read? And if so, could Hollywood make a decent live-adaptation movie? Or are we in for Last Airbender 2?

It is worth reading and watching everything Ghost in the Shell. Fantastic franchise.

Most tend to start the franchise with the anime series Stand Alone Complex, but check it all out.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Whitewashing at its finest. No offense to Scarlett of course.

Can't believe Death Note and Ghost in the Shell managed to successfully get american adaptations when most attempts are in development hell

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Whitewashing at its finest. No offense to Scarlett of course.

She looks great so it is like "can't hate on it" but at the same time it should have been a Japanese actress.

Can't believe Death Note and Ghost in the Shell managed to successfully get american adaptations when most attempts are in development hell

RIP Cowboy Bebop

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

The film, which is based on the famous Kodansha Comics manga series of the same name, written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow, is produced by Avi Arad (“THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2,” “IRON MAN”)

uhhh

Ari Arad (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”), and Steven Paul (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”)

uuuuhhhhhh

Michael Costigan (“PROMETHEUS”), Tetsu Fujimura (“TEKKEN”)

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh

Yes. Most things Ghost in the Shell are top quality. But you can probably skip the GitS 2 manga since it is marginally different and not a continuation of the first one. There's also all kinds of 3D models used and it just looks dated because 90s CGI. Masamune Shirow is also known for drawing erotic art, and it's more obvious in GitS 2.

I'd also say the movie GitS2: Innocence is a bit of a retread, and less graceful compared to the first movie, but it has some diddlying beautiful animation.

I don't know why but this reminds me of the Blood: The Last Vampire live-action movie, which was more of a bore than anything.

Last edited:

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

Love Scar, but not really that interested in seeing the movie. That being said, I have always been interested in the series itself. Where is the best place to start? Is the first series just called Ghost in the Shell? Becaus ethis whole time, I thought SAC was the series itself.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Love Scar, but not really that interested in seeing the movie. That being said, I have always been interested in the series itself. Where is the best place to start? Is the first series just called Ghost in the Shell? Becaus ethis whole time, I thought SAC was the series itself.

There is the manga, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface and Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor.

Then you have the 1995 film.

Then there is Innocence.

SAC/SAC 2nd and the film Solid State Society.

Then everything Arise.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

I am not sure about this movie, and never have been. That said, I'm not as convinced it will be a total shitfest as a lot of us think. I'm mainly going off knowledge of the first 2 movies (and it's been ages since I've seen them), but nothing that happens there is hard to translate to a live-action format (I think).

Casting however, is another thing entirely.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

https://twitter.com/Chris_Stuckmann/status/720638884514787329

Not that whitewashing is a very good thing in itself, there are a lot of Asian remakes of American films that recast the roles as Asians. So it certainly goes both ways. If the writing and acting is good, then I'm all for it.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Idk how viable that comparison is though considering the different ratios for ethnicities in North America versus Korea/China/Japan. We have a huge melting pot of diversity here with a plethora of ethnic actors who are losing opportunities that were made for them. And there are plenty of Asian actresses we could have cast for this role, like Rinko Kikuchi, a Japanese actress well known for her role as Mako Mori in the scifi film Pacific Rim. This is more of a, Ridley Scott saying his movie wouldn't be bankrolled without someone with "star power" (I'm putting it nicely) situation, which is disappointing... Rinko would be perfect. ;____;

Not saying ScoJo will be bad... it's just disappointing.

And for people wondering where to start with GitS... you can kind of jump in anywhere. I started with the first movie.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

Idk how viable that comparison is though considering the different ratios for ethnicities in North America versus Korea/China/Japan. We have a huge melting pot of diversity here with a plethora of ethnic actors who are losing opportunities that were made for them. And there are plenty of Asian actresses we could have cast for this role, like Rinko Kikuchi, a Japanese actress well known for her role as Mako Mori in the scifi film Pacific Rim. This is more of a, Ridley Scott saying his movie wouldn't be bankrolled without someone with "star power" (I'm putting it nicely) situation, which is disappointing... Rinko would be perfect. ;____;

Not saying ScoJo will be bad... it's just disappointing.

Well no one said a damn thing about whitewashing with The Departed, and that won best picture. It's like complaining about the new Godzilla remake from two years ago not taking place in Japan or what have you.

Kikuchi does look the part I will say, I haven't seen Pacific Rim so I can't comment on her acting, but she could've been a solid choice (am I correct in that she has won or was nominated for an academy award of some sort?).

In all honesty, I think they should've gone with a cyborg though for Motoko, cyborgs don't get nearly enough recognition. /s

‘Ghost in the Shell’ Ran Tests to Make White Actors Look Asian

Nobody try to talk to me about how Hollywood isn't intentionally whitewashing and not hiring Asian actors.

I'm glad they aren't going with this but the fact that they even thought of doing it in the first place astounds me.

I don't think this film is a blatant attack for whitewashing like that Gods of Egypt disaster. That was absolutely atrocious. But I will agree that this method is not okay, hopefully they don't try and pick it up at some point in the future for another film. From what I've seen, it looks like Scar Jo and one other actor are the only Americans on the cast list so far, so I don't think it's a real attack on this kind of thing, we'll see if the studio comments anything on the people backlashing on this.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Sometimes I swear Hollywood goes out of their way to whitewash.

One on hand, Scarlett looks great and I think she'll do a good job, but the role should have gone to a Japanese actress.

I wonder if Batou will keep his bottle cap eyes, or if will they'll go the boring route and just make them pure white

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Pretty sure Motoko is a cyborg, right, with multiple bodies/forms at different points? Tell me if I'm wrong, but also pretty sure that some of those bodies can have more distinct caucasian features, with some with more asian features, or some with no distinct features at all.
miss-the-point.png

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Pretty sure Motoko is a cyborg, right, with multiple bodies/forms at different points? Tell me if I'm wrong, but also pretty sure that some of those bodies can have more distinct caucasian features, with some with more asian features, or some with no distinct features at all.

That isn't the point. She might be a cyborg but she is still a Japanese woman whose body is meant to fit in with the people surrounding her. In certain situations she'd adopt a different body, but her primary body as meant to fit in with the people of Japan.

And we all know for a fact that Scarlett Johannson is not going to take on different features in the film beyond maybe some cosmetic changes involving her hair and eyes.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

That isn't the point. She might be a cyborg but she is still a Japanese woman whose body is meant to fit in with the people surrounding her. In certain situations she'd adopt a different body, but her primary body as meant to fit in with the people of Japan.

And we all know for a fact that Scarlett Johannson is not going to take on different features in the film beyond maybe some cosmetic changes involving her hair and eyes.

Thank you for explaining it to me. Though if I may, I found this comment on Dreamwork's facebook:

"Japanese guy chiming in here. The race doesn't matter in the character of Kusanagi. Ghost in The Shell is about what it means to be human. In both the show and the movies there is a heavy emphasis on the body being separate from the mind and identity. It is even joked about that Kusanagi was originally male and ultimately know one knows her original identity except her. Remember that she is just a human brain inside of a total cybernetic body. Give it a chance people."

Is this true? Cause then I feel my original point would stand then..

Currently her character is only called 'The Major' so far on the casting list, so who knows if they'll take liberties with it (which they probably will). My ears may be so confused if they actually call her by Motoko. All I'll say is that the image of ScarJo certainly looked like Motoko to me, and if the writing is good, even better. But they sure did miss an opportunity for a jump start on Rinko Kikuchi's career.

I think another thing of note, is how it's interesting in how people view characters in anime, or even cartoons in general, based on their country. A lot of people in America generally view them as looking pretty anglo (they even look like that to me, but I know they're Japanese); but Japan, I'm sure, views them as Japanese of course with some accented features, like their eyes and nose and such. Kind of like how even though the Simpsons have yellow skin, everyone just assumes them to be white.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back