• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Getting a Laptop

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobbit

Awards
I am planning on getting a new laptop because mine is starting to break and I've had it for a while. My birthday and Christmas are coming up so that's around when I'll be getting it. With all the new Windows 8 ultrabooks and the retina MacBook Pro that have all just come out, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what I should get.

Currently I'm VERY interested in the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13, and I'm waiting for them to announce when the 256GB hard drive (and hopefully the orange colored laptop) to be announced--hopefully before the time when I'm wanting to get the laptop. That's the only thing stopping me from getting it right now--I've read that the 128GB version is partitioned very oddly and that there's less than 50 GB of actual space on it, leaving very little room for anything.
Here's a video review:
[video=youtube;4x4MXzIX-kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x4MXzIX-kk[/video]

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had any tips or personal experiences with any of the new Windows 8 ultrabooks or if even a Mac is a better option (I'd rather not though because they're expensive.) Here is basically what I'd need it for(not much):
-Able to handle movies, videos, and music easily
-Basic games (really just League of Legends)
-School: Microsoft Office, basically stuff any computer can handle.
-A decent amount of space in the hard drive (on my current 500GB hard drive I've used up about half of it)
-A webcam
-Lastly, after the new Windows 8 ultrabooks a touch screen would be really nice. That's why I'm leaning towards the Yoga.

So does anyone have any advice as to what kind of laptop I should get? I'm not too savvy on tech stuff so I'm not sure how much RAM or how strong of a processor I really need. It seems like playing games like League of Legends would be the biggest determining factor in that because everything else I'm looking for can be handled by virtually any current laptop. Thanks for the help in advance.

Kagayaki

Awards
I just got mine a few weeks ago, 'cause my little pink Toshiba died. It was my very first laptop... *sniff* Now my Dell is a bit bigger and has more memory, although significantly uglier. It was $150, no tax. My advice: buy one from a small business or a secondhand store. Not Best Buy or even Amazon. Go find a store in a strip mall and see if it does repairs.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
Or even check the manufacturer websites. When I was buying my laptop, I was drawn to Toshiba, because they allow you to customize a laptop to your specifications, down to hard drive and processor capacity. Explore some of the brands and see who offers what fits you best

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
A budget is always a good starting point. Also consider whether or not you want windows 8. I havent heard of many of the features and I doubt I'd want to go through the trouble of making sure all my existing/available software is compatible.

Secondly, power for your price. Laptops notoriously charge more for the assemblage than parts themselves so if you're not careful, you can end up overpaying for something that wont work for you. Generally more expensive is better, but if you narrow your selection and do your research on the key parts in the machine, and make comparisons you'll be much better off for it.

Edit: also, Asus is actually one of the most trusted brands for notebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back