• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Get A Life

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
The recent departure of one of my friendly friends on this forum (the reason I started posting again in the first place) has prompted me to make this post. Now, that she's gone, I guess I'll keep posting. This has been a "I'm bored... let's see..." type of thing for me.

I told her that honestly, once I stopped going to these TYPE of forums all together -- forums where people remember your name and personality, with politics, forums that are primarily social (even though a lot of them are "gamer" forums), I felt like I was actually living in reality. (I still frequent forums, but the kind you've probably never heard of. Forums where we discuss and do research for specific topics in our lives or interests)

These type of forums really CONSUMED my life. I had a plethora of virtual friends that I enjoyed talking to. In the mean time, some of my real life endeavors were put on hold because I was giving this virtual world more attention. And frankly, I didn't have nearly as many goals as I do now because I didn't care to think of creating them. I was having too much fun online.

Not to say I didn't have a life or friends or do well in school... I just found that any effort or time I put into virtual life was taken from effort and time in my real life. Thoughts and occurrences that happened online can still affect you once you are offline.

I've always wondered if I was just a total loser or if other people felt this way.

Chimubar

Imma touch the sky
When I first joined the forums it consumed my life for a month. But once I went back to school I started focusing on school and my friends.

I never really felt like a loser because I already had a life and was friends with almost everyone in school.

hood

Yes you're a loser. Now if you don't mind, I will now go and spend 4 hours watching videos on youtube.

Look, everything you do is going to take time away from other things. You just need to pick and choose what you like most.

Ashes Remnant

It's All Crazy! It's All False!
I was homeschooled for most of my life, so forums like this were the closest thing I had to friends at the time. Whenever I got into school, I left the site. Now I manage the two.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
When I first joined the forums it consumed my life for a month. But once I went back to school I started focusing on school and my friends.

It was pretty much the opposite for me, when I joined KHI it was like a really laid-back thing, I ended up completely forgetting about it until I started making more friends on here. I just kept meeting more people and seeing more things on the forums so much [the way people act around each other, for example] that it was just easy to tell that it is a bit of a reflection [excuse the pun] of reality.

Not aesthetically and literally of course, but once you have the courage to believe in yourself and make friends when only seeing text, you can apply that to life. There's other stuff here that keeps me coming back as well; debating, learning about other people's opinions, graphics work...
Most of all I can say without a doubt I have a lot more confidence in myself since I joined KHI; and I pretty much blame my friends.

And if the reason I'm so addicted to this place is for the people I care about, then I think it's hardly something to be embarassed about.

Even so, there's still a difference between communicating and interacting with people IRL and online. The line gets blurry for me personally.

I don't know if I can say forums and the internet are the cause for sometimes ignoring IRL responsibilities because there's been a lot of other stuff going on in my life, but I can tell it could be hard to balance.

For now I'll just agree that whatever you like most will end up taking up the most of your time. I like the diversity in people online, it's something I don't get out of my life here in the suburbs, all sheltered and whatnot. I guess you could say it helps me...learn...?

tl;dr elle's "life" is a work in progress

Apollo

Silver Member
When I first joined I didn't have very many IRL friends so it consumed my time. But now my real life stuff and KHI have balanced out since I've made a lot more friends in high school. Being active on the internet is kind of a private thing in my life, very few people actually know about it.

steve999

I don't spend a lot of time on this forum.
No offense, but making friends online doesn't really seem all that great.

E.J.

~yaranaika
Awards
I don't spend a lot of time on this forum.
No offense, but making friends online doesn't really seem all that great.

Same. I just stay for the hilarious staff pranks and the small chance that I could be a staff member one day.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Aww, Reflection, that's wonderful.

I guess internet friends gave me more confidence because it is very easy to meet people of different personalities online. And a forum like this allowed me to learn more about people in a way that I wouldn't be able to in real life.

Yeah, I remember. There may be some people that I'd feel intimidated to talk to or something so that transfered to the way I talked to people online. Until suddenly, I was chatting with people who seemed to have the type of personality I was intimidated by. And that transfered to my real life interaction, as well. I didn't even think to look at it that way. :) Very neat!

Being active on the internet was private for me UNTIL websites such as facebook, myspace, youtube came along. They made being on the internet something that everyone was into, not just geeks, nerds, losers, what-have-you.

the small chance that I could be a staff member one day.
You have to make online friends for that to happen...

Chimubar

Imma touch the sky
When I first joined I didn't have very many IRL friends so it consumed my time. But now my real life stuff and KHI have balanced out since I've made a lot more friends in high school. Being active on the internet is kind of a private thing in my life, very few people actually know about it.

Ya nobdy knows I go on the forums. None of my friends even no I like kh and that kind of stuff. Which is why I have this so I can talk to people about it.

It was pretty much the opposite for me, when I joined KHI it was like a really laid-back thing, I ended up completely forgetting about it until I started making more friends on here. I just kept meeting more people and seeing more things on the forums so much [the way people act around each other, for example] that it was just easy to tell that it is a bit of a reflection [excuse the pun] of reality.

Not aesthetically and literally of course, but once you have the courage to believe in yourself and make friends when only seeing text, you can apply that to life. There's other stuff here that keeps me coming back as well; debating, learning about other people's opinions, graphics work...
Most of all I can say without a doubt I have a lot more confidence in myself since I joined KHI; and I pretty much blame my friends.

And if the reason I'm so addicted to this place is for the people I care about, then I think it's hardly something to be embarassed about.

Even so, there's still a difference between communicating and interacting with people IRL and online. The line gets blurry for me personally.

I don't know if I can say forums and the internet are the cause for sometimes ignoring IRL responsibilities because there's been a lot of other stuff going on in my life, but I can tell it could be hard to balance.

For now I'll just agree that whatever you like most will end up taking up the most of your time. I like the diversity in people online, it's something I don't get out of my life here in the suburbs, all sheltered and whatnot. I guess you could say it helps me...learn...?

tl;dr elle's "life" is a work in progress

Ya. The main reasons it took up most of my time was because I moved that summer and I didn't know anybody and didn't live near anybody in my school. And also I broke my ankle a little bit before I joined so I couldn't really chill with people.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When I joined back when I was 13 years old I honestly just wanted to have somewhere to be a fangirl over Kingdom Hearts and to meet some friends.

I sort of consider this place friendly. I've known people here for a long time and it just feels natural to stay here for some reason.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
I think you should cherish the places where your friends are, no matter if they're online friends or real-life friends. That's the policy Sora has.

I really like this forum though I act like an asshole most of the time, but I like the comfort I get here where I can just be myself. In real-life, I pretty much push everyone away because I'm too much of a dick, I suppose, but I know who my real friends are, ones that have stayed with me over the years and have helped me overcome my problems. I just lost my partner of four years last month in the war in Afghanistan, eleven days before my birthday and it hurt because not only was it losing the guy I've been head over heels for for years, it felt like one of my best friends had gone, too. I should learn to cherish my real-life friends, but when you think of it, what's the difference between real-life and online friends? I think online, you get to be yourself more and maybe it's a bit more honest, so you should learn to cherish everything and take every chance you have.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
not really ty hates me .

I thought he hated everybody?
sunofdiamonds said:
I really like this forum though I act like an asshole most of the time, but I like the comfort I get here where I can just be myself. In real-life, I pretty much push everyone away because I'm too much of a dick, I suppose, but I know who my real friends are, ones that have stayed with me over the years and have helped me overcome my problems. I just lost my partner of four years last month in the war in Afghanistan, eleven days before my birthday and it hurt because not only was it losing the guy I've been head over heels for for years, it felt like one of my best friends had gone, too. I should learn to cherish my real-life friends, but when you think of it, what's the difference between real-life and online friends? I think online, you get to be yourself more and maybe it's a bit more honest, so you should learn to cherish everything and take every chance you have.

Wow, my dear! I'm very sorry for that. I'm glad you have found meaning for this place and it helps you find yourself. :)

Hm, I think I am more of what I am like internally when I am on the internet. What I'd like to be like in real life, I do online. In real life, I may not be as charming and "How are you??" as I am online, though I would like to be. In real life, its exhausting. Online, its fun. :)

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
I merely come to the forums because most of the stuff i discuss here, i don't really discuss with my friends irl. I've always balanced the two so it's never been a huge problem for friends with me.

LionHeart14

It's summer right now and I'm still on break, so I get really bored during the day and come on here.
During the school year I don't come on nearly as much, but for the mean time, yeah I spend a lot of time on here lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back