• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

general video game-related stories

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
when i was younger, i was a huge pokemon fan. i'm talking about when it first came out and the only games were red, blue, and yellow. i had all three and had played through all of em pretty fucking often because i was 4, who cares if they're the same game.

one day my friend daniel came over for one of those mom-organized playdates and he brought his gameboy and all his games and we were talking about how his momma didn't buy him none of dat pokemon. he wanted to make a trade: his donkey kong country (for gbc) and super mario land 2: 6 golden coins for my blue version. and i was like "hot damn two new games for a game i've played a ton fuck yeah" and i traded him and he left and never came back.

later in my senior year of high school, my friend juan started playing game boy games cause he never had one as a kid. he tried to get our friend dave and i to play with him. he was playing red, dave played yellow, and that left me blue. which i traded away when i was little. so i had to go to the fucking swap meet and buy a copy of blue version for $15. FUCK YOU DANIEL.

general video game story thread. doesn't have to be sad or regret-related; can be happy and fun time with video games. just wanna see what cool stories people have about them and video games!

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
i once traded that same friend - dave - for super smash bros. melee, f-zero gx, and metroid prime all for one $20 micro sd card and my copy of pokemon red.

i'm really bad at holding onto my pokemon games

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I wasn't allowed to play FF (or most any JRPG) until shortly before around the time Symphonia came out, because my dad didn't want me influenced by heathen Japanese fantasy. KH was fine though, because it had wholesome Disney characters in it (also LotR was okay because it was at least heathen Western fantasy).

I had to stop playing GW shortly after I got it, because my dad found out that Necromancy was a thing.

If my dad ever happened to catch me playing an RPG (even after he begrudgingly allowed me to play them), I would always get a lecture about how I must not be influenced by black magic, summoning monsters, and other such sorcery. To this day, I make sure my dad doesn't catch me playing an RPG, just because of how often that happened when I was younger.

#truefundamentalistparentstories

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I wasn't allowed to play FF (or most any JRPG) until shortly before around the time Symphonia came out, because my dad didn't want me influenced by heathen Japanese fantasy.

That reminds me of a friend I had at around 5 years old. He had Goldeneye 64 and wasn't allowed to play it because "guns are too violent". What else did his parents expect from a game based on Goldeneye/James Bond?

It was cool though, he had a SNES and we would play DK Country and Super Mario All-Stars. Good times. Now I want to buy a SNES.

There was another time in my days in high school that me and this other student made a video games club. Which really should have been called the Halo/Super Smash Bros. Melee club. Because that's 90% of the time of what it was (the other 10% were Naruto Clash of Ninja games. Even the kids who hated Naruto were into the game), we had two sides of the room for both games and we would trade spots every week (because one side was just a projector on a blank wall while the other was hooked to the main computer of the classroom and projected on a massive projector screen. So it was only fair that we switch each week).

It was popular enough to get people revolving through 2-3 spots in each game. Maybe 30 people or so.

To this day it remains in my mind as one of the best experiences of my life. Also I was "that guy" when it came to Smash Bros and I felt like a goddamn celebrity whenever each Thursday would come around. diddlying good times.

Shawty

Awards
I remember back when I was about 8 years old my brother and I would always play Super Mario World together on the SNES. My brother told me about the All Stars version and we wanted to get it, but unfortunately it was nowhere to be found.

One time we were hanging out at grandma's place and her neighbor was there with her son, and of course him and my brother were talking video games. He said he actually had SM All Stars and he would trade it for 2 other games we had, for a limited time.
We agreed, of course, because we didn't really play a lot of other games on it except for Zelda and Megaman, the games he already had so we didn't have to trade them. One day we were back at my grandma's, and he said his SNES broke down and he gave us our games back including other games we didn't have yet. I remember him saying ''I'm really sad because my SNES broke but I want you to have all my games because I know you will take good care of them''. It was so nice of him. To this day whenever I run into him he brings it up and asks if his games are still doing alright.

Oh, the memories.

SRKTAVRXAYGDM

Awards
I remember getting ripped of one this used GBA game at a game store. It was COM, and it had pocket marks and gunk and stuff. Wouldn't even play past the first Riku battle. :(

And no returns. :mad:

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
when super smash bros. brawl came out i wanted it really bad so i asked my parents if one of them would be willing to take me to the midnight release at gamestop so i could pick up my pre-order. unfortunately, both of them were at a birthday party and they said they probably wouldn't even be home until like 2 am so i'd have to get it in the morning. i was super sad, but i understood.

at about 11:30 pm my dad suddenly comes into my room and goes, "so are we going to gamestop or what?" and i was like "wait what dad i thought you had a party!" and he said he could always get back to it. and then we went to gamestop and i played brawl all night.

fuck yeah, dads.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I camped out at a Walmart for the Wii's launch. Never again.

When I was younger, I electrocuted my fish accidentally when I turned on my Sega Genesis. I cried like a little bitch.

When I was in middle school, my friend and I would Super Smash Bros. Melee religiously. We swore we were the best players in the state despite not knowing a damn thing about the competitive scene. This drove my other friend to learn some advanced techs in order to knock my ego down. To this day, they still call me "the best in the state" mockingly.

When Brawl came out, one of my friends got one of his older friends to take us to the midnight release of Brawl. We then slept over at his house and played Brawl all night long with the intent of getting better at Smash.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
For some reason our family is cursed when it comes to memory cards and save files (frequently random losses of saves or broken memory cards and shit). This one day my parents were prepping a party (I am 95% convinced it was a christmas party with the family) and I had to stay out of the way. So I turned on our playstation and started playing Crash Bandicoot 2. My older brother came in and asked me why I was playing it since our memory card was broken anyway, but I just said: "because I want to". Switching around a bit whenever we lost 5 lives or so, we continued playing the game (except for a break to watch pokémon. It was the episode were Ash fought Brock and the pokémon craze was in full effect). By the time the guests arrived we had beaten the final boss and collected roughly half of the gems (including some of the colored ones) despite never having done over half of those levels before. We felt like bosses then.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I remember back when I first got kh1 way back at first release, my parents forgot the ps2 memory card so I couldn't save and ended up just replaying the Destiny Islands level over and over till I got one.

By the time I got that memory card and could save I had made Riku my bitch heh heh~

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I also got Smash Bros. Brawl at the midnight release. My mom also drove me to a friend's house on a school day to play it all day the following day.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I remember back in highschool we had a big Smash Bros Brawl match with the four of us. After several shits and giggles and hilarious deaths it got down to me and another guy who thought he could be me with my own character (Pit). He picked up that bazooka type weapon and fired it full blast only for me to use Pits down B shield to send it back and hit him with his own move and win the match. xD

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
One day I was playing league and vayne came out. I was like omg, it's a sexy vampire hunter milf. But I sucked at her. Then I played her again sometime later, like 5 months later and suddenly... I had the VAYNE MECHANICS. True story.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Growing up, I was always known within my group of friends (and their groups of friends lmao) as the "Pokemon Kid". Not because I obsessed over it all the time, but because if you ever brought up Pokemon, I would destroy you with enough poke knowledge that you would've thought I wrote bulbipedia. But one day, I was at a superbowl party with some upperclassmen that I am friendly with when they started talking about boxing at half time.

The house the party was at belonged to this kid who's whole family was really into boxing, so he had all the gear. Naturally, everyone started shit talking about how they would totally fight right now of it wasnt for (insert bulshit excuse here). Then I was like "I'LL BEAT ANYONE HERE IN A BATTLE" and my best friend's brother was like

"Maybe a pokemon battle"

AND MY SOUL BROKE, i had no comeback and everyone had a good laugh at me. My friend's brother even apologized to me later because he didn't think everyone would have laughed at me so hard. i'll admit that made me feel a lot better and I got over it quickly, thank god it didn't stick. But I swear I probably didn't say anything about pokemon for like a year after that lmao

RuffPuff

Filthy Turnip
Awards
When I was ten me and my family went on a holiday to the Gold Coast. We had come from a rural city, so when we found out there was a gaming arcade we went to check it out. After we were done in the arcade my father wanted to go to the internet cafe upstairs, so we headed over there. My mum booked a computer for us kids too.
My sister got on and decided to start up a game, The Sims: Makin' Magic. I seen her start playing with a (Sim) family that was already on the computer, and she wouldn't let me have a go before we had to leave. I was so disappointed. My mum took us back the next day so I could have a go too, and when we got home from the holiday I took my pocket money and bought Sims and Makin' Magic because I had fallen in love with the game at the internet cafe. :D

Another Sims story ahead! It was sometime after The Sims 2: University had come out. I hadn't thought to get The Sims 2 because I was young, and completely happy with The Sims. Though, there was a deal that me and my sister couldn't resist. A pizza shop was having a deal where, if you got two pizza's and a coke, you could get a game for $20.. which seems really weird, who picks up a game at a pizza shop? Anyway, my mum bought dinner and me and my sister went halves in the $20 to get Sims 2 bundled with The Sims 2: University. :D

Those are both good memories of mine~ Also, that story with the dead fish is sad. :I

Shasta

Awards
I wasn't allowed to play FF (or most any JRPG) until shortly before around the time Symphonia came out, because my dad didn't want me influenced by heathen Japanese fantasy.

This reminds me of when I was around the ages of 11-13. My mom would forbid me from watching Yu-Gi-Oh and playing any sort of Sonic game, she was absolutely convinced that they were evil. It took a few years to convince my mom that I wasn't being influenced by anything other than what I let my self be influenced by (which isn't much at all). She eventually lifted the ban called herself silly for doing such a thing to begin with. I swear I missed so many episodes of Yugioh and Sonic X during that timeframe.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
4th Grade was the year of the pokemon, and I felt never owned one at the time through that period. It wasn't until seventh grade that I was able to make a trade for a limited edition pokemon yellow (gbc) for two of my games at the time. That was the best fucking trade ever, the first pokemon game I ever played was red/blue/yellow followed by Gold. The following year, I made the mistake of giving it to my brother (who was 3 at the time.) I have never seen that gameboy a day after coming back from visiting him during the summer, i fucking regret doing that when I went through all kinds of trades as a kid to even get a gameboy color, and pokemon because my mom said no whenever I asked.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
i'm pretty sure i've told this story on khi before but i'll tell it again

when i was like 10 years old i got really frustrated with sonic battle for the gba; so frustrated, in fact, that i actually punched my gba sp and the top half snapped the fuck off the bottom half. and 10 year old me was like "wh-what" and i cried like a bitch and my mom took me to best buy and bought me a new gba sp and pokemon leaf green.

and i never got mad at video games again because holy shit

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
4th Grade was the year of the pokemon, and I felt never owned one at the time through that period. It wasn't until seventh grade that I was able to make a trade for a limited edition pokemon yellow (gbc) for two of my games at the time. That was the best diddlying trade ever, the first pokemon game I ever played was red/blue/yellow followed by Gold. The following year, I made the mistake of giving it to my brother (who was 3 at the time.) I have never seen that gameboy a day after coming back from visiting him during the summer, i diddlying regret doing that when I went through all kinds of trades as a kid to even get a gameboy color, and pokemon because my mom said no whenever I asked.

I remember making a similar trade circa 4th grade.

At the time I had a GBC with two games, one was the GBC port of Rayman and the other was this bootleg cartridge with a bunch of games. At the time both were kinda wonky; I remember my rayman cartridge glitched out and made me unable to progress past a certain point, and the only real gem in the bootlegs was some viet version of Gold that wouldn't save anymore. Some dude wanted to trade a legit version of Crystal for both. I was like "fuck yeah", went home and played that shit for days on end. My parents only found out about the trade years later and chastised me for "being suckered into trading a bunch of games for just one".

All things considered I really don't regret it, I think I still have the Crystal cartridge somewhere.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
One time I played league with paolo but he wasn't very good but it was ok. Five months later we played again and I think he got worse. Idk how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back