• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General Kingdom Hearts Manga Discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I don't understand the (what I assume to be the publisher's) decision to rush to the end, omitting important details and characters that have yet to even meet Sora in the manga at all. The KH manga is not an essential pillar of the franchise, and last time I checked, KH3 fever is NOT going around. Ideally, this thing should take as long as it needs to.

I guess they're just tired of producing it, maybe it isn't selling well, and they don't want to keep paying Amano to make them? KH3 manga started really strong, full of the humor the manga is known for, but this ending just seems pitiful. It's hard to imagine a continuation after this.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I just think the approach should've been different. A loyal adaptation of this game has to reckon with the fact that not much happens until the Keyblade Graveyard. You either need to make it short, or you need some original material sprinkled throughout.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I just think the approach should've been different. A loyal adaptation of this game has to reckon with the fact that not much happens until the Keyblade Graveyard. You either need to make it short, or you need some original material sprinkled throughout.
Perhaps I'd be inclined to agree with the notion that not much happens before the graveyard, if not for the fact that Vanitas's resurrection in Monstropolis + Sora learning about Ventus is probably the most significant moment to ever occur in a Disney world in any of the games.

And the manga didn't depict it.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
This is probably a pie-in-the-sky dream, but I hope one day KH3’s manga receives a “Re: Mind edition” later down the line, like how the original KH manga got the Final Mix edition.

It’s clear Amano likes Kingdom Hearts, they wouldn’t have come back if they didn’t. So if they were given the chance to reintegrate some of the material left on the cutting room floor as it were, in a special edition once the main serialisation is done, I think that would be great.
And even with what we have right now, it is clear they’re making the best of a bad situation.

If people are unhappy with it, fine. But never let it be said that Amano isn’t trying to give us something good.

WaltK

Awards
Since we're on the subject; what is the difference between the original KH1 manga and the "Final Mix" version? Is it just that extra chapter that adapts the Unknown Figure encounter and Deep Dive, or are there other differences?

KudoTsurugi

Awards
The main difference is that there are 2 new chapters added into Final Mix. There’s the Deep Dive chapter, and there’s a chapter that adapts the flashback of Sora and Riku finding the door in the Secret Place. Other than that, the Final Mix edition in Japan was compiled into 3 volumes in Japan rather than the original’s 4 volumes.

Also, this wasn't featured in any of the English releases, regular or Final Mix, but I recall there being an epilogue chapter set after the SDG trio chase after Pluto, where we check in on Minnie and Daisy, and it ends with the trio around a campfire as Sora’s going to sleep while Donald shouts to the heavens that he’ll come back to Daisy. I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it, and that drives me nuts😵‍💫 But I’m at least 90% sure it was real. Anyone else see this missing chapter?

Last edited:

KeybladeLordSora

Motivation.
Awards
Ngl an issue I have with Sora's "three Rikus?!" reaction is...well, he doesn't even acknowledge Dark Riku UNTIL there are three Rikus. It just feels like a poorly set up joke cuz it kinda waits for the specific moment. Feels like it's just there out of obligation or smth. Also cuz of how...well, neither of the Replikus were even given the time of day in the manga. Guess higher ups just thought it was a good idea like how cutting how Anti-Aqua even came to be was a good idea.

But regardless, with what Amano has to work with, I gotta agree with Launchpad in how it started strong but is now just stumbling to the finish like even Amano is just feeling tired of it. They may have no say in what gets cut but execution still matters after all.

And with what's been cut...gotta agree with Launchpad again. It's hard to imagine any sort of continuation to even ReMind.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Good news, manga readers, no delay on the horizon for chapter 34 part 2. And it looks like we’re getting VS Vanitas and Terra in this part too, judging from the preview
IMG_1838.jpeg
Gotta say I love the preview here, Sora getting Vani right in the mask. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I know the KH manga is a mess right now. I'm not going to blame Shiro Amano for it. It's certainly upsetting and sad given I like how the manga has told most of the KH stories better then the games. So while I'm bummed about so much stuff being skipped I'm just tuning in for the KG stuff at this point, it's really all we have left really. How much of it have they covered and where are they now at the KG?

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I know the KH manga is a mess right now. I'm not going to blame Shiro Amano for it. It's certainly upsetting and sad given I like how the manga has told most of the KH stories better then the games. So while I'm bummed about so much stuff being skipped I'm just tuning in for the KG stuff at this point, it's really all we have left really. How much of it have they covered and where are they now at the KG?
So far, the Keyblade Graveyard has skipped straight to the main battles with the Org XIII. The battles covered in the previous half of Chapter 34 were Sora and Riku VS Xigbar and Dark Riku, while the latter half is covering the Vanitas and Terranort battles.

KeybladeLordSora

Motivation.
Awards
So far, the Keyblade Graveyard has skipped straight to the main battles with the Org XIII. The battles covered in the previous half of Chapter 34 were Sora and Riku VS Xigbar and Dark Riku, while the latter half is covering the Vanitas and Terranort battles.
I read it through the Gangan Online app. Terranort is already subdued when Sora arrives and Vanitas is dealt with quickly in a version of his end scene where...he basically doesn't go out on his own terms in a sense. Instead of dying with acceptance of who he is and with Ven bitterly accepting, Sora and Ven's words make him mad enough to try and fight before they both kill him.

Terranort, who was being held by magic Aqua chains, breaks out easily once Vanitas is gone making this the second non-gameplay occurence where Aqua's chain-up move fails, and we just get a less good version of Terra's return. Like...the Guardian shows up before Terranort could even send Aqua and Ven hurtling to the ground, he saves em, and then immediately ejects his heart so Sora can blast Terranort who compared to the game only gets defeated because he was apparently so shocked his Stand didn't obey him that he just stood there without being subdued. Which makes it more wack than the game where TerraGuardian at least grabbed him by the head to keep him in place.

A few comments on the chapter in the app bring up the very issue that things are going too fast that the scenes adapted don't hit right, to where a couple are even worried about how RAX's reunion will be portrayed. Well more specifically one of em is starting to think it won't even happen.

I'll say it again. Amano may not have control over what gets cut, but execution of what he does have to work with is still up to him. And it just seems to me that he just doesn't have the heart in him to give it his best compared to 2 and Days. That with what he has left to adapt, he's resigned to just doing basic shortened versions of the game's events without the..."Amano flair".

Edit: In retrospect I HAVE been too harsh. Deadlines may be getting to him, and I failed to consider that at all...I feel like an asshole.

Last edited:

WaltK

Awards
I'll say it again. Amano may not have control over what gets cut, but execution of what he does have to work with is still up to him. And it just seems to me that he just doesn't have the heart in him to give it his best compared to 2 and Days. That with what he has left to adapt, he's resigned to just doing basic shortened versions of the game's events without the..."Amano flair".
You can hardly blame him when he's given next to zero space to do it in.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards

So Marluxia, Larxene, and Luxord have been skipped? I guess that makes the most sense as their defeats are nothing but sequel bait and I highly doubt we get another KH manga after this. Still RIP manga Luxord. That man was a legend in KH2 and Days mangas.
I read it through the Gangan Online app. Terranort is already subdued when Sora arrives and Vanitas is dealt with quickly in a version of his end scene where...he basically doesn't go out on his own terms in a sense. Instead of dying with acceptance of who he is and with Ven bitterly accepting, Sora and Ven's words make him mad enough to try and fight before they both kill him.

Terranort, who was being held by magic Aqua chains, breaks out easily once Vanitas is gone making this the second non-gameplay occurence where Aqua's chain-up move fails, and we just get a less good version of Terra's return. Like...the Guardian shows up before Terranort could even send Aqua and Ven hurtling to the ground, he saves em, and then immediately ejects his heart so Sora can blast Terranort who compared to the game only gets defeated because he was apparently so shocked his Stand didn't obey him that he just stood there without being subdued. Which makes it more wack than the game where TerraGuardian at least grabbed him by the head to keep him in place.

A few comments on the chapter in the app bring up the very issue that things are going too fast that the scenes adapted don't hit right, to where a couple are even worried about how RAX's reunion will be portrayed. Well more specifically one of em is starting to think it won't even happen.

Edit: In retrospect I HAVE been too harsh. Deadlines may be getting to him, and I failed to consider that at all...I feel like an asshole.

I don't recall the Guardian even being that big of a deal in the manga. The reveal holds no weight to the mangaverse of KH...and frankly same with TAV. It's only memorable for their game counterparts. It's different with RAX who actually had a manga counterpart to their game half. Some prefer it over the game ones. I was super excited to see how RAX's manga reunion was going to play out but now I'm just curious how much time they'll even get. They gotta go through Kairi being kidnapped and Saix's blink and you miss it redemption followed by his long drawn out death. I know money is involved but if they are in such a rush to have Amano finish the manga like this, why not just cancel it?

KeybladeLordSora

Motivation.
Awards
It's just kinda crazy how the manga introduces Marly, Larx, and Luxord[even tho he only had two panels], and then just kinda...pretend they don't exist by skipping them. Who tf is telling Amano what to skip?

Half the Org hasn't had adequate screentime because of this. Ansem's last appearance before KBG was the last TT chapter ffs.

Which just makes me remember this post where when it talks about KH3, it paints the KH3 manga as some shining thing that could probably end up being the best version of KH3 when in actuality it's practically just Amano drawing a more bare version of the game's script while being told to cut shit that just muddles everything because people higher up than him apparently want this thing rushed and it feels like he wants to do something else he might be more comfortable with.

edit: jfc i didn't think the post would actually show.

Y'know I just realized how wack the KH3 portion of this post is, claiming characters act more in-character in the manga when they pretty much act the same as the game[and arguably making Vexen's heel-turn more wack], and thinking cutting shit like the second Kairi/Axel scene or the stuff with the two Ansems is for the better when both only have drawbacks like removing the fact Vexen even stated that he was gonna atone, removing a nice moment between Kairi and Axel where Kairi also states how Namine deserves to have her own life which simultaneously makes Namine have even less of a presence, removing how Anti-Aqua even came to be...seems less like actual improvements and more just gassing up the manga cuz they hated the game. Hope they enjoy Kairi basically having less shit than in the game then when she gets kidnapped after four panels.

ALSO WHEN THE F U C K WAS IT APPARENTLY RETCONNED THAT ROX AND NAM CEASED TO EXIST WITHIN SORA AND KAIRI WHEN PRACTICALLY EVERY GAME AFTER 2 MADE IT MORE OBVIOUS THAT THEY STILL EXISTED?

Last edited:

Zackarix

Awards
The reveal holds no weight to the mangaverse of KH
Maybe we shouldn't be treating the manga as something that has a "verse." At this point it's clear that the KH3 manga isn't an adaptation that's supposed to stand on its own from the source material, instead it exists as promotional material for the game. Hence why it skipped over important set-up (BbS and DDD) to go directly to KH3. And at this point whatever promotion it's doing isn't enough to justify its production costs, which is why the ending is being rushed.

It's kind of a shame that Amano didn't know from the start how many chapters he'd get, because if he had he might have been able to do less Disney filler and focus on the important parts of the story. But unfortunately that's not how cancellation works.

Back