• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General Kingdom Hearts Manga Discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
Couldn’t see much talk here about the manga adaptations, so...

The manga adaptation of KH3 is currently running, with new chapters being released online at a semi-regular pace of every month, with physical compilation volumes being put out periodically.

At this time, the manga has reached the end of Olympus, and is about to finish up a brief adaptation of Fragmentary Passage.

Are you keeping up with the series? What are your hopes for the rest of the adaptation, and how are you predicting certain parts will be done? In addition, do you have any thoughts on the previous mangas?

I definitely hope at least every Disney world except 100 Acre Wood and Caribbean will get adapted.

Another thing I’ll be really curious to see is how the stuff with Riku Replica is handled, considering his alternate fate in the CoM manga.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
The big question mark for me is how BBS and DDD will be handled (not to mentioned Coded...) - I initially thought Amano might be weaving in the BBS story through flashbacks while going through 0.2, but that doesn’t appear to be happening. It’s possible crucial story elements will be incorporated through flashbacks as the series continues?

Anyway, really enjoying the adaptation, but there are likely to be a lot of gaping plot and characterization holes moving forward. It’ll be interesting to see how that unfolds. I just wish the chapters would release on a faster schedule 😛

KudoTsurugi

Awards
On the subject of the manga, Amano took a liking to the translation for Sora’s goof on Xigbar’s name:

Also, I do love Aqua’s reaction to seeing Riku. Not sure what she’s saying outside the speech bubble, but she looks adorable 😊
26D65E2A-D71A-4E39-BC97-2A50FE316BEE.jpeg
As for hopes for the KH3 manga, I hope she does her own spin on the ending. Keep the major beats but also switching it up to make it more fun.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I was honestly a little disappointed. It didn't feel like the Shiro Amano KH manga I knew and loved (Too much Sora feeling sorry for himself for one)
I mean, if Sora’s meant to be a normal kid among the greats, a normal kid would be pretty bummed in his situation. Plus, by the end of the Olympus arc, I think he’s back to his old self again. We’ll see how the writing goes in the next couple chapters once 0.2 wraps up, but personally, I’m glad to see it back😁

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I am keeping up with the manga series. Purchased the first KH3 volume, and will listen out for when volume 2 is ready. I do think this is off to a good enough start. Many of the jokes are funny, such as the uncle thing with Hades. It seems to have more dialogue freedom then it's KH3 novel counterpart, which I'm planning on reviewing eventually, since I did the other novels.

But back to the manga, again it's off to a good enough start. No real complaints. I have concerns of course. The manga's biggest strengths is how much it fleshes out the characters along with the humor. I'm curious how much time they can devote to the other characters before the Keyblade War. I'm far more anxious to see the KH original cast return because the manga did so well with them. I'm more excited for them then any of the Disney stuff that'll we'll have to get through first. I actually hope Arendelle is skipped and they devote that time to the extended cast, but I know they won't. I'm certain some version of "Let It Go" will be in here. I'm sure Caribbean is getting skipped.

As for skipping BBS and DDD, they already explained the Mark of Mastery exam and how Sora failed it. They'll probably just sprinkle that stuff in as the manga continues. I made a joke about Sora should not remember Young Xehanort when they meet, as a reference to how KH2 treated Mushu. That would be hilarious if they acknowledge that joke, and just have Sora be puzzled at a young Xehanort. The BBS stuff I can see them doing flashbacks for when Vanitas and Terranort show up, but other then that, 0.2 should have covered them at best. Hopefully. I think BBS is the one that hurts most that it didn't get a manga, since so many characters came from that one. Riku Replica is another one they'll likely tweak and make more serious, since he was a gag character in COM's manga.

Overall I'm excited for everything, as I love the KH manga-verse. I do hope the manga can add some it's own flair into KH3 and not just be restricted to what is in the games.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
They basically took the DC approach. Skip major titles just to release the major crossover.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
They basically took the DC approach. Skip major titles just to release the major crossover.
I dunno if I’d go that far. The KH2 manga did take a break to adapt 358/2 Days.
While I’m not sure I can see that happening again, flashback chapters to the previous games would be a welcome sight.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I think the magazine it was published in was also a factor. It was published in Monthly Shonen Gangan, the same magazine as Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater. And like the previous series, KH3’s manga is coming out in a monthly basis. This time on Gangan Online.

Looking at the amount of pages for each chapter in KH3’s first volume, the average seems to be about 15-25 pages, and it’s about as big as the KH1 manga volumes. Comparing past series from CoM onward, it seems the average page count was roughly 26-32 pages, so I don’t think taking too long had anything to do with it. Even with the break with 358/2 accounted for, KH2 is a big game, so you could only fit so much into a manga.

If this were a weekly series, like Bleach or Jujutsu Kaisen, we might have gotten more chapters out faster, but I don’t blame Amano for the wait.

WaltK

Awards
I recently got the second volume of 358/2 Days, which I previously missed. Having Roxas and Xion actually interacting with Belle, Lumiere and Cogsworth in Beast’s Castle was a welcome deviation from the game.

That being said, having Belle telling Roxas about Sora...I’m pretty sure that breaks continuity. iirc none of the people that Sora has interacted with are supposed to remember him at this point in time because the tampering with his memories should have also affected those who remember him, hence why Kairi can barely remember him at the beginning of KH2, and how everyone in Hollow Bastion just all “suddenly” remembered him again at the same time.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I recently got the second volume of 358/2 Days, which I previously missed. Having Roxas and Xion actually interacting with Belle, Lumiere and Cogsworth in Beast’s Castle was a welcome deviation from the game.

That being said, having Belle telling Roxas about Sora...I’m pretty sure that breaks continuity. iirc none of the people that Sora has interacted with are supposed to remember him at this point in time because the tampering with his memories should have also affected those who remember him, hence why Kairi can barely remember him at the beginning of KH2, and how everyone in Hollow Bastion just all “suddenly” remembered him again at the same time.
Well to be fair, the KH2 manga doesn’t really go over that either, unless you count Yuffie goofing on Donald and Goofy’s names(calling them Ronald and Zoofy). The only one that seemed to not remember Sora are those on Destiny Islands, since Kairi’s the most affected and Selphie comments she doesn’t remember him at all.

EDIT: Also, can we sticky this thread? I think it’d be nice to have it as easy to access as possible.

Last edited:

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Huh.. I just noticed something in chapter 15 for KH3. She reused a Riku panel from the end of KH1’s manga.

KH3 chapter 15:
2E9A5745-57FA-41AE-99C2-C81E4AB34DBB.jpeg

KH1 chapter 42:
FD10261A-9A01-4CFB-80C2-349A1B2EB1A3.jpeg
It’s slightly tweaked, but that’s a pretty good use of reusing old drawings 😃👍
You don’t see that too much outside flashback collages, so it’s nice to see😁

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Nah, the novels are. Most fans don’t even know that the novels exist.
The novels aren't as well received as the manga. Kanemaki also churns them out with more frequency so I think we've all just gotten used to it and it's not like.. an exciting thing to look forward to.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Had a look at the recent chapter, and I love some of the expressions we see on Riku here😂2BCB990A-24D2-400D-8503-68342D6653F0.jpeg

Also where his mind goes to when Mickey says Aqua’s like Sora. Now the reaction makes more sense with all the goofy Sora faces 🤣

A7FE2D5A-6E16-4C3B-9A85-BF9927CC1080.jpeg

KudoTsurugi

Awards
@KudoTsurugi why do you seem to only be looking at the Japanese pages when their English counterparts are released more or less simultaneously?
Because region lock is still a thing for the English chapters. My iTunes Store only went as far as Chapter 4, same for Kobo, Comixology EU doesn’t have it and Bookwalker has a region limit of America, Canada and Southeast Asia. So until volume 2 in full comes out, I’m s.o.l.

Last edited:
Back