• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gamestop will be closing a small percentage of stores.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ok sunny

Awards
Well, all of a sudden Gamestop announced that they'll be closing stores (around 130 of them. Although, I'm not sure if it's just America) to open up 200-300 Mobile stores related to Apple production... Which apparently may happen very soon. I'm not too phased by the announcement, since you can order things online easier, but for those who don't have internet, live in a rural area, and only have one gaming store (Specifically Gamestop), good luck to them.

Read about it here. Post your thoughts and opinions because this is a sort of spontaneous announcement in my opinion.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: Gamestop will be discontinuing their video game management...

"between 120 and 130 of its 6,457 stores worldwide"
"Closing 130 amounts to just 2 percent of that number"
Apart from some people losing their jobs, which they could just transfer over to one of the new 200-250 stores opening, I don't see the big deal behind this.

ok sunny

Awards
Re: Gamestop will be discontinuing their video game management...

That's true, but I just thought I'd bring it here for discussion. It could affect any gamer who's nearby Gamestop is closed down by this.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
They're changing their market and they're adapting to the new world. I say kudos for them for branching out.

ok sunny

Awards
I never said it was a bad thing, but it's just an interesting announcement.
I completely agree with you otherwise. :smile:

Last edited:

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
The bigger deal is their change of focus from games specifically.

I will weep for the day we don't have to get less game content due to pre-order bonuses (I heavily dislike pre-ordering games). Of course they can always just change that over to how Steam uses pre-buy bonuses online. Which is even worse. lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
In a market where it's probably more reasonable to order video games online from Amazon or digitally (PSN, XBL, Nintendo eShop, Steam), this is a smart decision by GameStop. They have to be able to stay afloat in this quick pace market, and the only way to do that is to branch out where gaming seems to be going.

And anyways, they are opening more stores than they are closing. They already have 6,500 stores nationally. This is a great way to create new jobs as well.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Well, Wal-Mart and Target have started dabbling in the used game trade. So if your local GS closes... well hope you have a Wal-Mart or Target nearby.

On that note, I'm not sure I agree with GS's move. I mean, it's true that the used gaming market is indeed shrinking, but it feels like they're trying to branch out, to avoid the demise of their business (which is good), but I feel like this branching out is going to blow up in their face.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
EB pretty much only makes money from used games, so if they're not seeing the profit they need then things like this are inevitable.

With EB jacking up the price of some of their games by $5 (at least in Canada) I've given a lot of my business to Amazon instead, just to save money so I don't feel TOO bad for them because their business model is pretty shitty.

I only feel bad for customers who aren't able to purchase online and are losing their nearby game stores, as well as for employees who are losing their jobs and unable to relocate to the new stores.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
EB pretty much only makes money from used games, so if they're not seeing the profit they need then things like this are inevitable.

With EB jacking up the price of some of their games by $5 (at least in Canada) I've given a lot of my business to Amazon instead, just to save money so I don't feel TOO bad for them because their business model is pretty shitty.

I only feel bad for customers who aren't able to purchase online and are losing their nearby game stores, as well as for employees who are losing their jobs and unable to relocate to the new stores.

Man, that's terrible! I don't buy stuff online, not even games. I hope things turn around.

As for me, I mostly buy used games from the game store across the street. They can get pretty pricey sometimes. Maybe, I should start purchasing online. Of course, there's a lot of other problems that come with getting things off the computer.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Man, that's terrible! I don't buy stuff online, not even games. I hope things turn around.
Well, there are still a ton of stores so unless one of the ones closing is your local EB you don't have much to worry about right now.

As for me, I mostly buy used games from the game store across the street. They can get pretty pricey sometimes. Maybe, I should start purchasing online. Of course, there's a lot of other problems that come with getting things off the computer.
If you buy from Amazon (make sure it's not an independent seller and is sold directly through Amazon itself) then there are virtually no problems.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
If you buy from Amazon (make sure it's not an independent seller and is sold directly through Amazon itself) then there are virtually no problems.

This. Recently, I've had two terrible customer service experiences with Spigen and SanDisk. I bought a phone case from Spigen directly from their website. It was faulty and it took them over two weeks to get back to me. SanDisk sent my replacement memory card to the wrong address despite me telling me multiple times.

Amazon's return policy is easy, hassle and bullshit free. They ask no questions and they'll refund/replace whatever.

Last edited:

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I feel like the people that like the vanity of owning a box cover will keep the company alive for a good long while. People like having physical libraries.

Also special editions and whatnot of games will keep them alive as well. They'll probably go the way of having the Special Edition separate from the game eventually. I forget what game is already doing that, but it is a thing that I think will catch on.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Don't really care. I buy my games from Amazon usually anyway.

First gaming anything I ever got through Amazon was my PS4 (which I preordered the morning after the E3 reveal), and I only did it then (quickly, from my phone in the car, those shits were going fast) because Gamestop required a $100 deposit to preorder consoles in the store. Didn't pay a dime till it shipped on the 13th of November, and it got to my house mid morning on the 15th, no trouble whatsoever.

Since then, I've been ordering games exclusively from them, from inFamous to Tomb Raider. I've got a list of orders in my account of games that don't see release for a month or more (Watch_Dogs, Destiny, Arkham Knight, Amazing Spidey 2 next week, etc.). It really is convenient as hell.

I doubt I'm gonna completely abandon GameStop in the future. I hate their used game policies, but I rarely buy games used anyways. The store's been a staple of my gaming experience for years. Sometimes, nothing beats walking into a store full of people with similar interests as yours and physically browsing. But I'm still favoring Amazon from here out.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
They still have over 6,000 stores. 130 isn't exactly a significant setback. Could be an indicator of something in the future though considering how strong the digital gamesphere is nowadays.

edit: worth pointing out that even though I have a gamestop less than a block from my apartment, I only go there maybe once every six months. I went there twice last summer only because I had questions about cost. Plus Amazon always has cheaper third party and used games. And not to mention Steam sales and stuff.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I usually support my local GameStop(s). I prefer to go to a store. While Amazon is a nice convenience and I have used it before, going to a video game store makes me feel more in tune with video games. Sometimes for me, seeing everything via internet is not always satisfying. I'd much rather be in a store to check out the merchandise and promotions than merely read about it. The feeling contributes to the experience.

ok sunny

Awards
I usually support my local GameStop(s). I prefer to go to a store. While Amazon is a nice convenience and I have used it before, going to a video game store makes me feel more in tune with video games. Sometimes for me, seeing everything via internet is not always satisfying. I'd much rather be in a store to check out the merchandise and promotions than merely read about it. The feeling contributes to the experience.
That's the same deal with me. But it's not always that I prefer to go to a game store. Sometimes I just forget about online purchasing...

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I can't say I'm shocked they're hurting (although only 2% isn't a huge number), but I'm with Recon in that I enjoy going to my local Gamestop to pick up the games and guides, I get to sort through the games and guides looking for bends, creases, blemishes, etc. in the items and it's nice being able to get it at midnight (as opposed to waiting for the mail by me which is dreadful). I'm curious which ones will be closing :) Since it's only 130, the chances of it being the one by me are slim, but if so, that would be disappointing :(

ok sunny

Awards
I have this feeling that they're probably only closing the shops that have another Gamestop within (at least) an hour distance of each other.
It wouldn't make sense to just close one shop down where there isn't another one for several hours/miles, especially when they make could make good business with it being only shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back