• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► GameSpot: Nomura on expectations, Final Fantasy, what Kingdom Hearts means to him

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

The flood of interviews does not end even though E3 2018 ended last week. GameSpot has released a brand new interview with Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura, giving us an insight into the expectations surrounding Kingdom Hearts 3, his feelings as the lead of a development team, Final Fantasy in Kingdom Hearts 3, and more!

In the past fan expectations didn't affect Nomura at all because he always felt confident that he was creating a game that would be fun for fans. With Kingdom Hearts 3, the excitement from fans has been overwhelming so Nomura began to feel some pressure, but has been able to push through it because he realized that Kingdom Hearts 3 will be a great game for fans. 

Nomura also mentions how these expectations have affected te development staff working on the game:

"I also have experience working on Final Fantasy titles as well, but Kingdom Hearts is a very unique one where a lot of people that are on the title really love Kingdom Hearts 3. They're overflowing with love. They're just like our fans as well. So because their love towards the title is so high, they've been creating the game with that much love and so I think that we are able to push out a game that meets expectations or even more than what you might expect."

As a developer and as a person, Nomura has seen a lot of personal growth over the years. Where he once was aggressive and trying to pull everybody around him forward, he now feels that he is the sage of the group while everybody around him is more energetic and aggressive. 

"The Kingdom Hearts series has become a huge title nowadays and back then it was more like I was making it secretively in the corner, but now that a lot more people are involved I do feel that it's not my title anymore, it's everyone's title. And just talking about all this … It actually kind of makes me really sad."

Nomura feels that these changes as he's gotten older have helped him to become more mature, making him able to decide on things and realize his limits. At the same time, he does not feel like he is teaching the staff what the best way to make a game is, or dictating to them what should be done. Instead, he feels that the people around him believe he expects a lot out of them, so they automatically push themselves to go above and beyond what is necessary to create high-quality work. 

"The staff that I have, they actually have this image of me that, "Oh, Nomura-san won't approve if it's like this. It needs to be better." They just have high expectations for themselves or they think that I have really high expectations for them. So when I actually go ask to see something early in development, they say, "Oh, I can't show it to you yet. It's not finished at all." So what they usually tend to do is that they would take whatever order I give them and just create something that's of a higher quality than what I've asked them to do. So if you look at the trailer, I think it's pretty apparent, but they have been pushing out things that are really high quality. I'm very grateful for that."

When it comes to Final Fantasy characters, Nomura has said it in previous interviews over the years that he feels that the main characters of the series have a lot of issues that need resolving, and it doesn't leave much room for Final Fantasy characters to appear. Despite that, Nomura has seen a lot of demand for Final Fantasy characters to appear in Kingdom Hearts 3:

"Actually, in interviews throughout E3, I think every single interviewee has asked me about Final Fantasy characters and so I realize that that probably means that everyone's actually looking forward to them. There weren't that many titles out in the world that had all these Final Fantasy [characters] comes together in one [place], but nowadays there's just so many games out there that incorporates all these different Final Fantasy characters together, so I actually felt that it might not even be necessary to have another one of those in my game. But now that I've been talking with everyone, I've realized that maybe it is necessary, so I'm a little surprised by that."

All of these things leads people to wonder just what Kingdom Hearts represents to Nomura:

"It's probably the title that represents who I am. When I was a starting as a developer, like I wasn't an industry veteran yet, when I was creating Final Fantasy titles with Mr. Sakaguchi, the father of Final Fantasy, and at that time, he said that Final Fantasy is a game that has everything in it. I don't think that there are that many people left in Square Enix that have actually worked with him on Final Fantasy. Of course, Final Fantasy is still continuing on--they still are committing to push out titles. But when I started creating Kingdom Hearts, that was when I kind of had this time away from Final Fantasy. And of course, I am working on a Final Fantasy title right now, but it was at a time when I was not working on a Final Fantasy title, and I really wanted to realize what Sakaguchi-san said about Final Fantasy, that it is a game that incorporates everything, to Kingdom Hearts. So I brought that idea to Kingdom Hearts. Currently looking at the newer Final Fantasy titles, to be honest, I don't think it really incorporates that idea of having everything. So I think that Kingdom Hearts, to me, is a game that has everything in it."

Read the full interview on GameSpot.

Thanks to forum user Silver_Soul for the tip!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Nomura on current Final Fantasy games:
giphy.gif

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
Lol not sure if shade or bias cause KH is hid baby. I agree with him though.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Nomura is a salty human being, so I think it is mad shade on FFXV lol

If there is a chance for him to throw it under a bus, he will 8D

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
Nomura is a salty human being, so I think it is mad shade on FFXV lol

If there is a chance for him to throw it under a bus, he will 8D

Lol you go Nomura-San

I'm also legitely happy that a lot of the people working on this series are fans and love the game! We're all in this together <3

Sdog

Awards
Just keep on throwin that shade Nomura. Seems we should be getting quite the game cause of it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Lol you go Nomura-San

I'm also legitely happy that a lot of the people working on this series are fans and love the game! We're all in this together <3

It really is touching to see that they love this game so much. It shows in just how amazing KH3 looks.

Just keep on throwin that shade Nomura. Seems we should be getting quite the game cause of it.

Nomura is taking ass and kicking names with KH3 <3

I'm afraid this could be Nomura throwing shade towards FFXV. FF15 has a lot in it, so I disagree with him on that. That the game is an incomplete mess in terms of story, sure, but it has a lot of stuff in it.

Responding to this quote here since this is the main topic now.

I don't agree. There is stuff to do in FFXV, but I don't think it is near the same level of stuff we were able to do in previous FF games. FFVII itself is just crammed full of little things to do and discover. And a lot of what we are able to really do now in XV is only after a million patches, DLC episodes, and content updates. The game didn't start off that way.

Awards
I admit that I am one of the fans that want more FF characters in the game. After all, looking at the number of characters, there's what, a dozen cameos, maybe as many as 20? Excluding the originals from khverse.
Tidus, Selphie, Wakka, Cid, Squall(Leon), Yuffie, Aerith, Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Seifer, Fuu, Rai, Vivi, Setzer... am I missing any? Compared to the hundreds of Disney characters.

Well and moogles I guess.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I admit that I am one of the fans that want more FF characters in the game. After all, looking at the number of characters, there's what, a dozen cameos, maybe as many as 20? Excluding the originals from khverse.
Tidus, Selphie, Wakka, Cid, Squall(Leon), Yuffie, Aerith, Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Seifer, Fuu, Rai, Vivi, Setzer... am I missing any? Compared to the hundreds of Disney characters.

Only missing best boy of FF: Zack Fair. I would give anything for Sora to meet him.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Final Fantasy was a damaged brand starting with XIII. It's yet to reach the peak that the PS1 Final Fantasy games provided. I can survive without them for Kingdom Hearts III.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
But...the Radiant Garden gang...Zack's storyline...

If Nomura wants to do something Final Fantasy that hasn’t been in other crossovers, he should give us Sora, Cloud, and Zack taking on Sephiroth and Genesis. Or just Zack and Genesis. Or just Genesis. Just gimme Genesis as a superboss, Nomura.

kingsoraful

Awards
Beautiful interview by Nomura. You can tell how much he truly loves this franchise, it's very heartwarming and I love his final words cause it showcases why many of us love the series as well.

Also he once again confirms FF characters will be in the game and i think the reason they have not bbeen revealed yet is cause Radiant Garden has not bbeen shown yet aside from Ienzo's appearance nor has any original worlds which is traditionally aside from Olympus where those characters are at.

I have a feeling absed on what Nomura said we will see FF characters old and new in the next trailer at TGS.

kingsoraful

Awards
Final Fantasy was a damaged brand starting with XIII. It's yet to reach the peak that the PS1 Final Fantasy games provided. I can survive without them for Kingdom Hearts III.

Nomura literally said they will be in KH3 but he can't reveal any details. The same thing the two people working for SE said at E3. FF characters will be in the game.

I just don't expect Noctis and crew anymore.

Awards

Only missing best boy of FF: Zack Fair. I would give anything for Sora to meet him.

Oh yeah Zack. Still that puts it at a mere 17 if moogle are included.

There's so many more ff characters that could be included. And I disagree about FF being 'damaged', the games are still enjoyable. And there was plenty to do in 15 even with just the base game. That world is HUGE. I can't count how many little sidequests I've stumbled upon just walking/driving/flying(re: crashing >_>) around. Heck, I recently found a treasure map and discovered that was a whole new sidequest, no dlc required.

But getting derailed a bit, this is still a fusion of Disney and Final Fantasy. If there's so few FF elements, it makes it one-sided. It was a relief in both numbered titles when we got past the Disney story rehashes and got into the original story.

The main reason I want more FF characters is mainly because aside from the kiddified versions in the starting areas, the FF characters belong in the original plot. Disney, they're kept to their worlds and that's it aside from the Disney Castle folks, a few exceptions like Jiminy, and the PoHs.

Last edited:

kingsoraful

Awards

There's so many more ff characters that could be included. And I disagree about FF being 'damaged', the games are still enjoyable. And there was plenty to do in 15 even with just the base game. That world is HUGE. I can't count how many little sidequests I've stumbled upon just walking/driving/flying(re: crashing >_>) around. Heck, I recently found a treasure map and discovered that was a whole new sidequest, no dlc required.

But getting derailed a bit, this is still a fusion of Disney and Final Fantasy. If there's so few FF elements, it makes it one-sided. It was a relief in both numbered titles when we got past the Disney story rehashes and got into the original story.

The main reason I want more FF characters is mainly because aside from the kiddified versions in the starting areas, the FF characters belong in the original plot. Disney, they're kept to their world's and that's it aside from the PoHs.

Based on what they said at E3 there will be Final Fantasy characters in KH3. Nomura is just not revealing them yet probably cause he hasn't shown anything of any of the original worlds which aside from Olympus is where the majority of the FF characters are located.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I've been playing FFXV Royal Edition, and it most certainly does not do everything. Confusing story beats and frustratingly weightless combat, yes, it does. Not a lot else.

Meanwhile, KH3 is looking to be a game for the fans. It has been a very long time since SE put a vigorous effort into the mechanics of a Kingdom Hearts game... KH3 looks like it's following up on game qualities set up very long ago, such as KH1's scale and world integration, and KH2's combat depth and polish; not to mention an onslaught of edgy wacky villains to fight.

It really does feel like everything has finally come together correctly, and if we needed to wait 13+ years for a quality sequel, then I guess that's fine with me.

Sorry for the rant, recent showings of this game have gotten me actually excited in what the game is.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
This was very heartwarming. It felt very personal and you always think about how we've aged up with the series and how long it has been but he and the rest of the team have grown with it in their own ways. I appreciate his interpretation of the series of it being a game that he feels has everything, just as Sakaguchi felt that the Final Fantasies he made had everything. I'm glad he's confident that this game is a game we as fans will love just as their team loves. This is a wholesome ass interview xD

I don't fault him for not thinking about including many FF characters or those character mashes like in KH1. Like he said, back in the day that might have been new and different but nowadays you've got FF characters interacting with other universes both FF and otherwise all over the place. It might have been a major draw back in the day but KH can stand on its own two feet without that selling point, and in my personal opinion just having the KH original characters interacting with Disney characters gets a rush outta me.

Sidenote: That shaaade though. I mean he ain't wrong, Final Fantasy as of late has been experimenting and developing new ideas and that means leaving some of the older attributes and charm behind in favor of new territory. FFXV had loads of new stuff to the series while missing some of the magic FF is usually known for (in favor of its own brand of magic of course).

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

The main reason I want more FF characters is mainly because aside from the kiddified versions in the starting areas, the FF characters belong in the original plot. Disney, they're kept to their worlds and that's it aside from the Disney Castle folks, a few exceptions like Jiminy, and the PoHs.

I mean, there is a lot of content in FFXV but it doesn't mean it isn't damaged. The plot is probably the biggest hit, as it makes little sense in the way its presented and is barely a skeleton of an actual interesting plot to boot. FFXIII basically had the opposite issue, where the gameplay sucked but the story was large and expansive and actually explained lol. The reality is they didn't really need to make those sacrifices though. Like, even if it would take an extra year or more of development...the games would have come out even better for it.
I liked both of them btw. But yeah I feel like stuff like this is why I like KH more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back