• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► GameSpot: Nomura on expectations, Final Fantasy, what Kingdom Hearts means to him

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
If Nomura wants to do something Final Fantasy that hasn’t been in other crossovers, he should give us Sora, Cloud, and Zack taking on Sephiroth and Genesis. Or just Zack and Genesis. Or just Genesis. Just gimme Genesis as a superboss, Nomura.

Seconded. I'd love some Gackt in my Kingdom Hearts III.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Nomura on current Final Fantasy games:
giphy.gif
Dude needs to finish making one Final Fantasy game before he shades other FF games

giphy.gif

But now that I've been talking with everyone, I've realized that maybe it is necessary, so I'm a little surprised by that."
Nomura, you literally said years ago that FF characters would make a comeback in this game, what the heck are you even saying now!?

robotman

Honestly, I really don't care about the final fantasy characters appearing or not, I feel like I'm one of the only people that doesn't care about them though. All I really care about is the game having a Sephiroth secret boss again.

I really don't want to have to wait another 7 months to play the game but oh well, he better keep pumping out information, they did say that it would be "overwhelming" and that it would be "hard to keep up", so I'm still waiting to be overwhelmed! :tongue:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They said at E3 that FF characters would be in the game. He's probably playing dumb because the FF characters are in a world that has not been revealed. Confirmed through Ienzo but that's another story.

I know that. I was at E3 and was around when the news dropped, thanks.

We are joking about how Nomura is being so silly.

I'm glad people reminded him....

yi4L7Bf.gif

LSdjEuf.gif

lYyiL8l.jpg

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I feel a multitude of ways about all the XV stuff. I liked XV unlike a lot of people. At the same time, I would've liked to have got the trilogy that Nomura originally planned for it and if anyone has the right to throw shade at XV, it's Nomura. On the other hand, I can't help being glad Nomura was removed from XV because the huge amount of time between KH2 and KH3 was uncalled for, imo. KH3 probably would've pushed off for 2 or 3 more years.

I wouldn't be upset if FF characters get the shaft in KH3 (aside from the ones already in KH, like Seifer in TT, Squall and co. in RG, etc.), just for the fact that there is so much that needs to happen in KH3. But the FF characters do need to make a comeback in KH. The original premise was a combo of Disney and FF. Unfortunately the series has lost most of its identity over the years, with both the Disney worlds/characters becoming window dressing and the FF roles being reduced to almost nothing.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Nomura has said it in previous interviews over the years that he feels that the main characters of the series have a lot of issues that need resolving, and it doesn't leave much room for Final Fantasy characters to appear. Despite that, Nomura has seen a lot of demand for Final Fantasy characters to appear in Kingdom Hearts 3.
The Final Fantasy cameos were part of the magic. As a fan of both series, it was a unique opportunity for their inclusion. He is right to say many games nowadays cater to this service, but not many made it as special as Kingdom Hearts.

Nomura said:
But now that I've been talking with everyone, I've realized that maybe it is necessary, so I'm a little surprised by that.

I think we're all surprised that your surprised.

Nomura said:
And of course, I am working on a Final Fantasy title right now..

*interest piques*

This was very heartwarming. It felt very personal...

Yeah, this was a more personal interview with Nomura that I've seen in awhile..

He probably forgot lol

tumblr_n0zywug6Tj1r8aaxzo2_500.gif

I liked XV unlike a lot of people.

Same. I mean sure, it went through development hell however, I found it to be a solid ARPG that was very refreshing from the years of turn based RPGs. The open world, the next gen graphics, and the friendship between the chocobros just made it a experience that I ended up really enjoying.

robotman

Honest question... Why do you lot care so much about Final Fantasy characters in a Kingdom Hearts game? Seriously, I need to know... Am I missing something? These characters are not vital in the story and most people new to the game would not know who they are, why is their inclusion important? I'm not saying this to be quarrelsome, I just don't get it... At all. I need someone to explain it to me.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Honest question... Why do you lot care so much about Final Fantasy characters in a Kingdom Hearts game? Seriously, I need to know... Am I missing something? These characters are not vital in the story and most people new to the game would not know who they are, why is their inclusion important? I'm not saying this to be quarrelsome, I just don't get it... At all. I need someone to explain it to me.

Kingdom Hearts began as a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy. While it has outgrown that definition, it is still a part of the game’s history that some people love it for. To me, those characters allowed more maturity into the series, keeping it from being seen as something more like Disney Infinity. Plus, it was just fun to see how the worlds of Disney and Final Fantasy collided.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Robot; Okay. Partly it relates to the history; also in KH1, they actually played a part in the story. (Leon whupping your butt, Cloud in Olympus) Their importance has gone down, but people want to see that the FF part of KH is remembered, mainly b/c there was no real FF in DDD.

As for history; when KH was first came up with, Square and Disney.Japan were in the same office building, hence why the crossover started, so it's always had FF charas as well as Disney. People haven't seen one FF chara yet, so they have been asking about it, since KH has always been Disney + FF from its birth. Also, almost all the FF charas in KH are Nomura designs; Nomura likes to use his own charas. Tho I have been seriously doubting any XV charas are going to show up in KH3; maybe later once Nomura cools off from being ripped off XV.

Clockwork

The Traverse Town gang were Sora, Donald, and Goofy's major group of off-world friends and allies throughout the first two games, with Leon in particular having effectively served as the primary leader and mentor to the anti-Heartless faction. They're who Sora goes to when he's stuck and needs help. Given that history, it would look odd to have Leon, Aerith, Yuffie, and Cid never show up again.

robotman

Kingdom Hearts began as a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy. While it has outgrown that definition, it is still a part of the game’s history that some people love it for. To me, those characters allowed more maturity into the series, keeping it from being seen as something more like Disney Infinity. Plus, it was just fun to see how the worlds of Disney and Final Fantasy collided.

I get that but that was KH1... There hasn't been a connection since then, we had a light connection in KH2 but that was mostly for the secret boss (Sephiroth) or minor characters that didn't add anything to the story, their inclusion now would not add anything. Also the game really mainly started out as a combination of Disney characters and original characters, not Final Fantasy characters, they were ALWAYS, minor.
Robot; Okay. Partly it relates to the history; also in KH1, they actually played a part in the story. (Leon whupping your butt, Cloud in Olympus) Their importance has gone down, but people want to see that the FF part of KH is remembered, mainly b/c there was no real FF in DDD.

As for history; when KH was first came up with, Square and Disney.Japan were in the same office building, hence why the crossover started, so it's always had FF charas as well as Disney. People haven't seen one FF chara yet, so they have been asking about it, since KH has always been Disney + FF from its birth. Also, almost all the FF charas in KH are Nomura designs; Nomura likes to use his own charas. Tho I have been seriously doubting any XV charas are going to show up in KH3; maybe later once Nomura cools off from being ripped off XV.

I understand people wanting to see their beloved Final Fantasy characters appear but honestly, it doesn't mean anything if they don't. They will probably be NPC in Radiant Garden but their inclusion is overall pointless in the overarching story of KH3. They mean nothing to the plot.
The Traverse Town gang were Sora, Donald, and Goofy's major group of off-world friends and allies throughout the first two games, with Leon in particular having effectively served as the primary leader and mentor to the anti-Heartless faction. They're who Sora goes to when he's stuck and needs help. Given that history, it would look odd to have Leon, Aerith, Yuffie, and Cid never show up again.

That's ridiculously old news though, they reappeared in KH2 when you were defending Radiant Garden and they helped you along your battle to that epic 1000 heartless part of the game. They were also included in the Cup battles in the Hercules world. They don't actually add anything to the story.

I see why people would want them to be minor characters but the way people are talking about their inclusion is totally nauseating to me. Maybe I just don't get it lol.

Alja

I mean I definitely want the Radiant Garden gang to appear again, but not having played a lot of FF games, I also wouldn't be exactly mad if there weren't lots of new characters ^^" As long as they don't take the focus away from the dozens of original characters that need resolution, I'm pretty fine I guess.

kingsoraful

Awards
I don't understand where people take his statement to mean no FF characters in KH3? Nowhere in there did he say that, he literally said there's more to be revealed at a later date while talking about FF in KH3.

Wait till TGS in September. He never said no FF, in fact SE execs said FF characters old and new will be in KH3 at E3.

Why is everyone ignoring that the world the FF characters are in has not been officially revealed for KH3?

I do wonder though if his statement at the end about being shocked by the demand of FF will make him add a couple of FF surprises in the game now? Like how Yuripa were added in post production for KH2 or something.

They still have 6 months, they could add some more FF characters which could happen based on Nomura's statement. We shall see but I expect news of FF in KH3 to be revealed at TGS.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I get that but that was KH1... There hasn't been a connection since then, we had a light connection in KH2 but that was mostly for the secret boss (Sephiroth) or minor characters that didn't add anything to the story, their inclusion now would not add anything.
And that's the problem. I want them to course correct the mess they made with KH2, and that includes the sidelining of the FF characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back