• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gameplay style for 0.2 Birth By Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage-?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
We know so little about 0.2 Birth By Sleep right now, but it would be interesting to discuss what we imagine the gameplay system may be like in the game.

Will it be more like KH3 with a classic command menu or more like Birth By Sleep as our last go with the command deck? Would you prefer Attraction Flow or Command Styles? What are some features you expect the gameplay system to have?

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Well seeing as how the whole point seems to be to set-up and introduce KH3, I imagine that extends to every area. Introduce and set up the story, the graphics, and, yea, the gameplay system. So even if it doesn't make the most story sense, I imagine Aqua will use the command menu and maybe some Keyblade Transformations. I think there will be AttractionFlow but I think it is going to be the kind that is only activated in a boss battle for the game to end on a major set piece.

Anagram

Banned
I can only hope it's a command menu close to what KH3 will have or close to what KH2 had. Otherwise I see myself being rather bored.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I believe that too. It would be a waste of time to create a new gameplay system (even if it is an old one) for what amounts to the demo prologue of KH3.

The freedom afforded with the classic command menu alongside the innovations being made for KH3 would go a long way in attracting new and casual fans as well. I find that people who like the command deck are typically the more "hardcore" audience whereas the more casual fans prefer the classic style since that is what they are more familiar with.

(On a personal note I love the command deck but think it is too strict and formulaic and too easily broken, which is why I understand how people get bored of it)

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
i think will it have attraction flow listen they not going to use the bbs style on the engine if this meant to set up kingdom hearts 3

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
i think will it have attraction flow listen they not going to use the bbs style on the engine if this meant to set up kingdom hearts 3

Honestly, the only reason I'm asking is because Nomura is a bit of a wild card in general. People thought for awhile that KH3 would have command deck considering they experimented and polished it up in three games.

(And for the sake of creative discussion)

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
(On a personal note I love the command deck but think it is too strict and formulaic and too easily broken, which is why I understand how people get bored of it)

I agree. In both of the more "important" games that used the Deck (BBS, DDD), there was always "that one ability" that seemed to be stronger than all the others and with the Deck, you can just spam it repeatedly. Thunder Surge in BBS, and Balloon magic in DDD. Full deck of those, or maybe 1 - 3 Cure spells, and you don't need anything else.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Honestly, the only reason I'm asking is because Nomura is a bit of a wild card in general. People thought for awhile that KH3 would have command deck considering they experimented and polished it up in three games.

(And for the sake of creative discussion)
true but why make 0.2 with brand new graphics and using same engine kingdom hearts 3 just to bring back the comand deck for couple hours?

Anagram

Banned
I believe that too. It would be a waste of time to create a new gameplay system (even if it is an old one) for what amounts to the demo prologue of KH3.

The freedom afforded with the classic command menu alongside the innovations being made for KH3 would go a long way in attracting new and casual fans as well. I find that people who like the command deck are typically the more "hardcore" audience whereas the more casual fans prefer the classic style since that is what they are more familiar with.

For me personally I just find the commend decks incredibly boring at this point. It was cool and fun when BBS first came out but quickly grew old before I even finished all three characters in BBS. It's been most games sense and just feels way overstayed in welcome to me.

1.5 & 2.5, or rather, KH1 & 2 reminded me of how much funner their classical format is. Even KH2 which I could barely stand in it's original version was a fun change of pace.
Plus like you said the deck can be incredibly strict and far, far to broken. Like Nazo says-

I agree. In both of the more "important" games that used the Deck (BBS, DDD), there was always "that one ability" that seemed to be stronger than all the others and with the Deck, you can just spam it repeatedly. Thunder Surge in BBS, and Balloon magic in DDD. Full deck of those, or maybe 1 - 3 Cure spells, and you don't need anything else.

This is basically the entire BBS & DDD strategies right here. Dont act like most of you dont spam those two moves or one of your preference. Just trading spamming triangle for spells rather than reaction commands or spamming X for attack.

Plus BBSv2 gives us a chance to see a little of what KH3 could be. Not exactly the same probably but a glimpse. Might let me know if I'm gonna find attractionflow a stupid as DDD's flowmotion or if I find it an improvement.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
It was already mentioned I think, but it suddenly struck me a few days ago while driving that Aqua will probably have at least one Keyblade Transformation. I mean she can already do that, so I would be angry if they didn't include one. Though since they are saying they are tied to the Keychains I believe one is all we will get since she will almost assuredly stick to the Master Keeper. And then yeah, one Attraaction Flow in the final boss of the episode could be possible, I dunno how Attraction Flow is addressed lore wise though so I dunno why Aqua would or wouldn't have it.

So in summation: Yeah, I think they will go with the KH3 battle system :p

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Yeah the command deck system at this point is just too easy to take advantage of. I kind of hope they just disregard trying to have it make sense with BBS play style and go full blown Kingdom Hearts 3 system. Put in keyblade transformation, flow motion, everything.

However I kind of want them to keep the styles, since they gave the characters a unique feel to them. Also some kind of improved magic system, more reminiscent of kh1 than kh2 (why should cure take up the entire magic bar?). Maybe they could go even further and change up the "mash x to win" formula with some variation of the "heavy" and "light" attack system a la Street fighter, as slim as those chances may be.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I'd hope they just stick with the traditional gameplay. Should be interesting since its just Aqua as the playable character.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I hope that it's the command deck. I don't want this to spoil the gameplay of KH3. I want to play KH3 and experience it as a brand new game. I don't want to get a taste of it in 0.2 (even though it might be good for them to use that as a sort of test to see if the gameplay is favourable with fans).

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I hope that it's the command deck. I don't want this to spoil the gameplay of KH3. I want to play KH3 and experience it as a brand new game. I don't want to get a taste of it in 0.2 (even though it might be good for them to use that as a sort of test to see if the gameplay is favourable with fans).
If KH3's battle system is like the classic command menu, it already got "spoiled" 13 years ago. You might have to forego 0.2 if you don't want a taste of KH3, because from what I've read, this story was originally meant to be part of KH3's prologue, and it's very likely that it is a taste-test for the aesthetics and mechanics for the upcoming title.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Hmm, if 0.2 uses KHIII technology, will they try to implement the massive map sizes as well? It would be really fun to bounce in the massive Realm of Darkness map with KHIII version of flowmotion.

Playing BBS again in the weekend, I really like the command deck system, but it does have some problems like others have mentioned. Maybe it`s time that we get back to the command menu. Looking forward to see how things will work.

About Keyblade transformation, since Aqua has Master Keeper with her, what kinda of transformations it would have? I remember Eraqus shooting chains from it in one of the cutsceces, and also as you fight his armor, he uses the chains. I would like to see the Keyblade transformation to utilize that somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back