• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gameinformer reviews KH2.8 - Critical Mode in 0.2 is unlockable, lengthy scene ties into KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I've never been a fan of Critical Mode anyway to be honest, so it being unlockable is fine for me since I was already planning to begin with Proud Mode. I've always found Proud Mode to be the best difficulty for the series. It's hard enough to be plenty challenging, but not so hard that it starts to become annoying and ruin enjoyment. Up until I platinumed the 2 ReMIX's, I almost never touched Critical Mode. The same will apply here. I'll run through Proud Mode to experience the game, and then do it again on Critical for the inevitable trophy it will unlock. So, Critical having to be unlocked is fine by me.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I hope this unlockable Critical Mode doesn't become a trend. The fact that this and DDD had it worries me a little.

Alpha Sonix

I hope this unlockable Critical Mode doesn't become a trend. The fact that this and DDD had it worries me a little.

I would agree with that. I can respect having replayability but I don't think locking a difficulty level for after you've completed the main game is the way to go for it. If I recall, MGR: Revengeance also had a lock on its hardest mode but at least you could enter in the Konami code to get them if you wanted to. I don't necessarily mind it in 0.2 considering how short it is but if I want to do the hardest difficulty first I really shouldn't be inhibited by a "complete the game first" lock.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Meh. I still don't get why people wanna go to the extreme right off the bat. (Or how that's written)
I feel like exploring the game first - learning the different techniques etc - and then playing Critical is way better... but that's just me.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Meh. I still don't get why people wanna go to the extreme right off the bat. (Or how that's written)
I feel like exploring the game first - learning the different techniques etc - and then playing Critical is way better... but that's just me.

I get people want a challenge but it's your first time, playing on higher difficulty to a game or port you never played is asking for trouble

Alpha Sonix

I get people want a challenge but it's your first time, playing on higher difficulty to a game or port you never played is asking for trouble

Depends on what you want for your first experience really. I chose critical for my first playthrough of BBS and I never really had much of a problem except for a few bosses. Even then, I liked learning from my mistakes and figuring out what I was doing wrong. I also don't find that exploration or coming up with different strategies really changes depending on the difficulty either, though I could argue it becomes that much more important on critical. All I'm really saying is that if someone wants to play on Critical first, they should be allowed to. I really don't see a reason not to allow it.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Depends on what you want for your first experience really. I chose critical for my first playthrough of BBS and I never really had much of a problem except for a few bosses. Even then, I liked learning from my mistakes and figuring out what I was doing wrong. I also don't find that exploration or coming up with different strategies really changes depending on the difficulty either, though I could argue it becomes that much more important on critical. All I'm really saying is that if someone wants to play on Critical first, they should be allowed to. I really don't see a reason not to allow it.

Exactly.
I won't lose sleep over 0.2 not having Critical from the beginning, sure, but I also don't feel like it helps replayability so much that it's a necessity. Majority of the people that wanted to replay it at Critical will do it regardless.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

If I've played the game already I automatically have some good strategies at hand if I want it or not. I know what's gonna happen.

Jumping in blind offers the most opportunities to be caught off guard and stuck in a tricky situation. And that's exactly what I want. Find a way when there seems to be none at first <3

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I intend to play on Standard first, as I always do. But it still bothers me on principle. Because there are people who want to play Critical first. And they should have the freedom to choose that.

But let's protract the scenario. What if your save corrupts, or your console dies, etc.? Then you'll have to clear the game on Proud or lower again just to get Critical Mode back.

In DDD, there could be an excuse that Critical is intended as an NG+ mode with importing your Spirits, but, even then...

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I think we can all agree that most of us will be playing the game more than once. The problem for me is that I will want to complete everything both times I'll be playing so that means I have 3 choices.

1) rush the proud playthrough and be a completionist later
2) completionist on proud, rush on critical
3) completionist on both

appleboy82791

Awards
I'm very excited for this! I really don't mind Critical mode not being available on the first play through. It doesn't bother me. I plan on doing at least 15 or so play-throughs of 0.2 before 1.5+2.5 comes out anyway.

I've got it all planned out. I've already notified my boss that I will be taking the 24th and 25th off from work. At midnight when it releases on the PSN, the first thing I'm going to play is 0.2 on proud mode. Then I'm going to go immediately into KHX Back Cover. Then I'm going to play through 0.2 again on critical mode, followed by another time watching Back Cover. Then I will likely go back to DDD.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I'm very excited for this! I really don't mind Critical mode not being available on the first play through. It doesn't bother me. I plan on doing at least 15 or so play-throughs of 0.2 before 1.5+2.5 comes out anyway.

I've got it all planned out. I've already notified my boss that I will be taking the 24th and 25th off from work. At midnight when it releases on the PSN, the first thing I'm going to play is 0.2 on proud mode. Then I'm going to go immediately into KHX Back Cover. Then I'm going to play through 0.2 again on critical mode, followed by another time watching Back Cover. Then I will likely go back to DDD.
That's great, man! I wonder though, why will you watch XBC two times?

appleboy82791

Awards
That's great, man! I wonder though, why will you watch XBC two times?

Well, I doubt I'll pick up all of the details in just one viewing. I think I'll need at least 2 viewings to get a good understanding of it. And I'm sure in the months to comes I'll watch it several more times.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Now I'm more hyped for 0.2's ending.

8.5 is pretty darn great.:D I start getting skeptical when something gets 9 an' above, so I actually get more excited for eights. Eights just feel more honest.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
8.5 is pretty darn great.:D I start getting skeptical when something gets 9 an' above, so I actually get more excited for eights. Eights just feel more honest.

Oh geeze, I just glanced at this in the New Posts feed and thought "8.5? I'm not ready for Kingdom Hearts 8.5 HD Remix! Can't we just go in order?"

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
GI usually gives good reviews, I trust them tbh. Bbs and ddd both got 8.25s, as did 1.5. 2.5 got a 9, which makes 2.8 the highest rated original KH game since kh2 (which got a 9.25).

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I don't care about recommended order, I'm definitely playing 0.2 first :D I want to take my time with DDD and avoid spoilers so yeeah, sorry Nomura.

Also not happy about unlockable critical mode. It is what it is but it means I'll have to do a rushed first run, because I don't want to 100% it twice. I don't see any benefit to making it unavailable from the start, I would play it many times anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back